any helpful tips

:lb5: and welcome!!

The only hint I can give you is to be prepared for a huge life change. I don't think I was quite prepared enough. I was thinking life would just go on like it was and I would just eat less. However, it was hard saying goodbye to my favorite foods and I am still struggling on the post-op liquid diet.

You are gonna do just fine!

I just want to say thank you to all the women that posted it has been so helpful. I’m getting band 4/17 is their any helpful tips anyone can give me? I guess I'm just getting nerves. Want to make sure everything goes right. =D>

Advice . . . I love giving advice. I don't love taking advice, but giving it is one of my favorite pastimes. :rolleyes:

Number one in my advice column is to follow your doctor's pre and post op diet rules. Why stress yourself out by worrying that you screwed up and did my band slip? Did I jeapardize the success of my surgery? Am I an awful, wicked person? Why not just follow the !@#$! diet and stop worrying? It's only for a few weeks at the most. You can do it!

Second, don't set yourself up for failure by setting huge goals. My goals are one or two pounds at a time. Then you string them together and all of a sudden you are down ten pounds. I can tell myself I should lose ten pounds in a month, then I wait till the month is half gone, panic, feel like a failure, and get depressed. Or I can say, "I will lose a pound by Friday" and do it, and feel good about myself. By the way, I WILL LOSE A POUND BY FRIDAY. :)

Third, if you are feeling really bad, call your doctor. Don't go onto a forum and ask things like, "I am bleeding profusely from my ass. Should I call my doctor. What should I do?" Of course you should call your doctor!! What are you doing asking us things like that?? (By the way, there is very, very little chance this will happen.)

Don't freak out if you don't lose much weight before your first fill. Your band isn't working yet and you should just be concentrating on healing. It is common to not lose or even to gain a few pounds after you go off liquids but before you get your first fill.

Don't expect to lose 20 lb per month. You didn't gain it in six months, and chances are you will not lose it in six months either. Slow and steady wins this race. That's a good overall view, but weight loss actually comes and goes, starts and stops. I might go two or three weeks and lose nothing, then lose five pounds in a week. Don't panic.

Relax. It's surgery, but it's minimally invasive and not that bad. I was tired for a few days, and sore, but certainly not in agony. I didn't even take the four pain fills the surgeon gave me. Take it easy the first week, and gradually move back into your regular activities, and you'll be fine, assuming your regular activities don't include running a 10K race in the first month.

Thanks, the pre-op has been hard. I’m still trying to get it right. It’s so hard not being able to eat what you want when you want. I knew it wasn’t going to be easy I just thought since I wanted this for so long that it would be a piece of cake. Was I wrong? But I’m going to make it

Starlight1,

Congratulations on begining your journey! The only advice I have is to go do it and don't worry. I second guessed myself and I should not have. I am one week post op and doing good. I chased after my 20 fourth graders today.....hard on a regular day much less after surgery and I did just fine. Keep us posted on how you do........I do agree with staying on the preop and post op diet. The band is a tool...use it wisely!

Advice . . . I love giving advice. I don't love taking advice, but giving it is one of my favorite pastimes. :rolleyes:

Number one in my advice column is to follow your doctor's pre and post op diet rules. Why stress yourself out by worrying that you screwed up and did my band slip? Did I jeapardize the success of my surgery? Am I an awful, wicked person? Why not just follow the !@#$! diet and stop worrying? It's only for a few weeks at the most. You can do it!

Second, don't set yourself up for failure by setting huge goals. My goals are one or two pounds at a time. Then you string them together and all of a sudden you are down ten pounds. I can tell myself I should lose ten pounds in a month, then I wait till the month is half gone, panic, feel like a failure, and get depressed. Or I can say, "I will lose a pound by Friday" and do it, and feel good about myself. By the way, I WILL LOSE A POUND BY FRIDAY. :)

Third, if you are feeling really bad, call your doctor. Don't go onto a forum and ask things like, "I am bleeding profusely from my ass. Should I call my doctor. What should I do?" Of course you should call your doctor!! What are you doing asking us things like that?? (By the way, there is very, very little chance this will happen.)

Don't freak out if you don't lose much weight before your first fill. Your band isn't working yet and you should just be concentrating on healing. It is common to not lose or even to gain a few pounds after you go off liquids but before you get your first fill.

Don't expect to lose 20 lb per month. You didn't gain it in six months, and chances are you will not lose it in six months either. Slow and steady wins this race. That's a good overall view, but weight loss actually comes and goes, starts and stops. I might go two or three weeks and lose nothing, then lose five pounds in a week. Don't panic.

Relax. It's surgery, but it's minimally invasive and not that bad. I was tired for a few days, and sore, but certainly not in agony. I didn't even take the four pain fills the surgeon gave me. Take it easy the first week, and gradually move back into your regular activities, and you'll be fine, assuming your regular activities don't include running a 10K race in the first month.

Wow Snowbird..... I now feel like a whiner cause I got on the forum and posted my sruggle with the post-op and pre-op diets. I wish it were that easy, just do it, if it were, I would be thin without the band! I also feel stupid for posting my pain [not bleeding out my a$$, thank God] and asking if any of the other bandsters had it before I got in touch with Dr. O. Wow

Thanks, the pre-op has been hard. I’m still trying to get it right. It’s so hard not being able to eat what you want when you want. I knew it wasn’t going to be easy I just thought since I wanted this for so long that it would be a piece of cake. Was I wrong? But I’m going to make it

I do understand how hard it is starlight1..... I didn't do extremely well on my diet either. I lost 6lbs. before surgery and thank goodness that was enough. It's still a daily struggle for me, I just started eating and over did it a little. This forum, for the most part, really helps and encourages you through your struggles... am I right ladies and gentlemen??? :lb16:

Darlene

Wow Snowbird..... I now feel like a whiner cause I got on the forum and posted my sruggle with the post-op and pre-op diets. I wish it were that easy, just do it, if it were, I would be thin without the band! I also feel stupid for posting my pain [not bleeding out my a$$, thank God] and asking if any of the other bandsters had it before I got in touch with Dr. O. Wow

Silly girl! I love to hear you complain cuz then I know I am not alone with my struggles! That is what we are here for...to help one another with the struggles. When another person has a problem, it makes me realize that I may have that same problem down the road and can go back to the person who had the problem for advice. :lb16: We are in this together, girlfriend!

If any of us could just diet when we knew we needed to, we wouldn't be in need of surgery to help us lose weight. However, to me the fear of causing problems for my band later on trumps the desire to eat solids too early. I can diet for a few weeks; it's the maintenance in the long run that gets me. Hold out for the few days, and stop asking me if it is okay to ignore your doctor's advice. It isn't.

I'm not talking about the people who complain about the diet but still stick to it, nor the ones who look for advice on what to eat from their peers. I'm not talking about the ones struggling with the diet. I'm talking about the ones who give up the struggle after a couple days, eat whatever they want, and then come on the forum looking for validation from other bandsters for their actions. I do get tired of people saying things like, I just ate a hamburger two days post op. Do you think I did something wrong??? Yes, I do, and so do you or you wouldn't be asking!

Furthermore, if you have a serious medical problem, for heaven's sake do not check with a forum for a solution; seek a medical professional. I am serious; the episode I described actually happened on a support forum. If you are bleeding, don't ask stupid me what to do! I never went to medical school, but I'm fairly confident your doctor did. You are paying him big bucks for his care, so use it. Again, I'm not talking about complaining about a little bit of discomfort after surgery. And we all like to check with each other to see if something is the norm. But bleeding is not the norm. Fever is a sign of infection, and is not the norm. Swelling, severe pain, uncontrollable vomiting are not the norm. Don't endanger your health by waiting for us to tell you that.

My list was pretty tongue-in-cheek anyway.

Silly girl! I love to hear you complain cuz then I know I am not alone with my struggles! That is what we are here for...to help one another with the struggles. When another person has a problem, it makes me realize that I may have that same problem down the road and can go back to the person who had the problem for advice. :lb16: We are in this together, girlfriend!

I agree Kimmie... Gosh I wish this were easier! :lb20: Thanks!!

If any of us could just diet when we knew we needed to, we wouldn't be in need of surgery to help us lose weight. However, to me the fear of causing problems for my band later on trumps the desire to eat solids too early. I can diet for a few weeks; it's the maintenance in the long run that gets me. Hold out for the few days, and stop asking me if it is okay to ignore your doctor's advice. It isn't.

I'm not talking about the people who complain about the diet but still stick to it, nor the ones who look for advice on what to eat from their peers. I'm not talking about the ones struggling with the diet. I'm talking about the ones who give up the struggle after a couple days, eat whatever they want, and then come on the forum looking for validation from other bandsters for their actions. I do get tired of people saying things like, I just ate a hamburger two days post op. Do you think I did something wrong??? Yes, I do, and so do you or you wouldn't be asking!

Furthermore, if you have a serious medical problem, for heaven's sake do not check with a forum for a solution; seek a medical professional. I am serious; the episode I described actually happened on a support forum. If you are bleeding, don't ask stupid me what to do! I never went to medical school, but I'm fairly confident your doctor did. You are paying him big bucks for his care, so use it. Again, I'm not talking about complaining about a little bit of discomfort after surgery. And we all like to check with each other to see if something is the norm. But bleeding is not the norm. Fever is a sign of infection, and is not the norm. Swelling, severe pain, uncontrollable vomiting are not the norm. Don't endanger your health by waiting for us to tell you that.

Gotcha Snowbird :lb14: ><'

Hey lighten up a bit! If you are so angry about certain posts, maybe you shouldn't be reading them. Or at least direct you anger to whoever it is that is enraging you and not the poor gal just looking for some advice.

And by the way, bleeding out your ass could be a simple hemrhoid or it can even occur from passing a gunea pig like someone did earlier this week. Not always an emergency call to the doctor is needed. Maybe that person was just looking for some reassurance while she was waiting for her doctor to call her back!

Here's hoping you have a calm and relaxing evening!

I just want to say thank you to all the women that posted it has been so helpful. I’m getting band 4/17 is their any helpful tips anyone can give me? I guess I'm just getting nerves. Want to make sure everything goes right. =D>

AFTERCARE, AFTERCARE, AFTERCARE!!!

Snowbird, I love what you said. It's like you read my mind.

I'm 3 weeks pre-op and I made the call to Lori 4 weeks ago. At that time Dr. Miranda told me I needed to lose 17 pounds and the diet she wanted me to follow.

I'm so afraid that I will mess up the band after I get it I've been doing everything I can to live like I already have it in order to make the transition smoothly. I'm starting the 5th week of my pre-op diet and I've lost 20 1/2 pounds. I have no desire to have a "last supper" because I don't want to mess anything up.

I'm not waiting until I get the band to change my life because it won't. I have to change my life with or without the band.

Snowbird, I love what you said. It's like you read my mind.

I'm 3 weeks pre-op and I made the call to Lori 4 weeks ago. At that time Dr. Miranda told me I needed to lose 17 pounds and the diet she wanted me to follow.

I'm so afraid that I will mess up the band after I get it I've been doing everything I can to live like I already have it in order to make the transition smoothly. I'm starting the 5th week of my pre-op diet and I've lost 20 1/2 pounds. I have no desire to have a "last supper" because I don't want to mess anything up.

I'm not waiting until I get the band to change my life because it won't. I have to change my life with or without the band.

Wow Jena,

You are making some great progress I too started my pre-op diet early so I could lose as much as possible before being banded, and I think having that long-term experience has totally helped with my post-op success! I know it's not possible for everyone to do and you and I know it's hard as hell but the long road is totally worth it! Best of luck sweetie!

Hey Starlight!

Congrats on your surgery date!! I was banded on 2/28 with a great group of girls so my advice is to get to know your fellow bandsters that share your surgery date!! They will be a HUGE part of your support system, when your normal friends can't give you advice, or when your husband is tired of hearing you complain about being hungry these will be the people you can contact because they are going through the exact same thing!!

Our crew has stayed in touch and 5 of us will actually be returning to the OCC on April 18th to get our first fills together!! That will be the morning after your surgery so if you're still around the OCC at about 9am you should see us there, and of course you can ask us anything!!

Best of Luck with your Surgery!

Don't feel that way, or I will have to put you in time-out! lol..

There are no bad questions, ever, and posting in the group isn't an issue either. One thing I know from my long experience as a teacher is that if one person has a question, there are more out there who have the same question but feel stupid or afraid to ask. When you ask, it helps someone else, too.

However, if you ARE bleeding from your ass, just contact the doctor first... we don't have the answer, and the visual graphic is just tooooooooooo much. (eyes burning.. ohhhhhh!) :blink:

There are no bad questions, ever, and posting in the group isn't an issue either. One thing I know from my long experience as a teacher is that if one person has a question, there are more out there who have the same question but feel stupid or afraid to ask. When you ask, it helps someone else, too.

However, if you ARE bleeding from your ass, just contact the doctor first... we don't have the answer, and the visual graphic is just tooooooooooo much. (eyes burning.. ohhhhhh!) :blink:

:lol: Paula!!

Thank you. I was beginning to think I shouldn’t have asked for advice. I’ve stuck to my diet and not really complaining I just thought that someone might have some good advice or tips for me.

I’m a nurse and know bleeding can be caused from different problems, and I hope for her sake that it was just a hemorrhoid. Sometime we just need assurance that we’re taking the right steps to make are life better and if we take the wrong step there are people out there that understand what we are going through and can give some good advice.

:cheerleader:

Thank you. I was beginning to think I shouldn’t have asked for advice. I’ve stuck to my diet and not really complaining I just thought that someone might have some good advice or tips for me.

I’m a nurse and know bleeding can be caused from different problems, and I hope for her sake that it was just a hemorrhoid. Sometime we just need assurance that we’re taking the right steps to make are life better and if we take the wrong step there are people out there that understand what we are going through and can give some good advice.

Don't ever think that way... this is a big step and I too needed [and still need] reassurance! :lb18:

All's good!! Darlene

Well said Paula Bee!! :lb24:

There's no need to apologize at all!!

We are all here for each other and we've all complained about something or the other... That's what's so great about the board when you're not able to talk to your friends about your banding issues, and your husband or family is tired of hearing about it you can always find someone that can offer some advice or at least sympathize with what you are feeling

There's no need to apologize at all!!

We are all here for each other and we've all complained about something or the other... That's what's so great about the board when you're not able to talk to your friends about your banding issues, and your husband or family is tired of hearing about it you can always find someone that can offer some advice or at least sympathize with what you are feeling

I don't think I said anything about complaining. If complaining were outlawed, I wouldn't have much to say at all.

Day after tommorrow!! How exciting...all the best to you...and let us know how things go....good luck! Cathy

I am both impressed and encouraged by all of you that have done so well pre-op. As a life-time dieter, you know that once your body gets used to the amount of calories you are giving it, or if you reduce the number of calories you give it, you will retain your weight. Your body goes into starvation mode, and starts to store all it's reserves. So my question is... if you lose alot of weight pre-op, could this by why you don't loose anything between surgery and first fill? Personally, I would find this discouraging. Did any of you??