Shoulder pain

I was at my family doctor today who wanted to see me post-op. First off, she said she was amazed at how good I looked, not because of a huge weight loss (which I haven't experienced YET). ...But because she said that a lot of people look tired and drawn following surgery. I told her that as far as surgeries go, this one was a breeze, except the shoulder pain.

We discussed the trapped gas/shoulder pain and she said that the pain was not really in my shoulder, but that it is called 'referred pain'. She said that the pain is coming from the diaphragm, where the gas is trapped and the nerve endings travel up to your shoulder. She said it's similiar to menstrual cramps that you feel in your back. The pain really isn't in your back but the nerve endings travel there and you sometimes feel the pain there. ...or sometimes when you have appendicitis, you may feel it first around your belly button.

And that's what I learned for today.

'Living the dream'

Denise

That makes alot of sense!! I had my appendix out in Dec. 06' and you're right, I first felt my discomfort in my belly button area! :-? I thought I had intestinal flu, then when the pain moved to my lower right side I called the Doc and wham bam out came my appendix!! My shoulder pain is all gone now..... 3 weeks post-op. :lb4: Darlene

Denise, I, too, had shoulder pain. At first it was very severe - to the point to where I only had to drink 1 swallow of water and it felt like a knife stabbing me. But.....I must say that it is significantly better. Now the only time it hurts is when I overeat or eat too fast. It also seems to hurt worse if I drive just after eating. But it is so bearable. I am sorry you are still having trouble. This is a link I posted previously about shoulder pain post-op lap band...http://www.core.monash.org/assets/documents/research-papers/2005-52.pdf I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Wow that makes so much sense! Thank you so much! It may sound silly because all during my shoulder pain I was wondering how on earth the gas got pushed all the way up there so glad to get an educated opinion on what it could be. Very useful, Thank you!

Jacklyn

That makes a lot of sense! I am a massage therapist and we studied referral pain quite a bit and it happens a lot more often than people think. I know I always feel my period cramps in my lower back and last time I checked, my uterus wasn't located there.

I'm hoping to avoid the gas pain when I get banded on May 9th, but all the info on here has been very helpful!

That really does make sense! I had horrible shoulder pain for the first two weeks, but it is gone now. Thank God!

That makes a lot of sense! I am a massage therapist and we studied referral pain quite a bit and it happens a lot more often than people think. I know I always feel my period cramps in my lower back and last time I checked, my uterus wasn't located there.

I'm hoping to avoid the gas pain when I get banded on May 9th, but all the info on here has been very helpful!

Make sure you pack some Gas X strips or Phazyme, some people have found great relief for their shoulder pain with these over the counter meds!

Make sure you pack some Gas X strips or Phazyme, some people have found great relief for their shoulder pain with these over the counter meds!

Thanks Michelle. I've tried the Gas X but they didn't seem to do much but I liked the cinnamon taste. :) But the Phazyme really have helped. ...and so does doing housework. (I knew it had to be good for something). ...Seems every time I carry a load of clean laundry upstairs I'm always able to dislodge a big burp. :lol:

Not sure why, but I am one of the few people who had no shoulder pain - yeah! In fact, I had no pain at all. Never took a pain pill. What I got in return was some crappy vomitting sessions, which are kind of rare right after surgery. It's just the strange side of me I suppose. I did have the enormous bloat in my stomach for 2 weeks and the GasX did nothing for it. But, it wasn't pain, just uncomfortable.

So, you might end up being one of the lucky ones without it also. I hope so for your sake.

In one of the books on lap band that I read, they said it was referred pain as well. Sounds like a good theory to me....but I just wanted it to stop when it hurt so bad!

Thanks for sharing that with us, very informative! I'll be seeing my doctor tomorrow at 11a just to make sure for a follow up. Is your shoulder pain, like near your neck spreading toward down your elbow? Just wondering because that's what happened yesterday to me... when I was walking my 4000 steps, I got a little pain there, but then it went away. Well, I'm glad to see you are doing well, I feel so happy today, i guess it's because I finally weighed myself and saw the loss, for the first time I can say that I am estatic about a loss :D

------

weight.png

20.gif

I was at my family doctor today who wanted to see me post-op. First off, she said she was amazed at how good I looked, not because of a huge weight loss (which I haven't experienced YET). ...But because she said that a lot of people look tired and drawn following surgery. I told her that as far as surgeries go, this one was a breeze, except the shoulder pain.

We discussed the trapped gas/shoulder pain and she said that the pain was not really in my shoulder, but that it is called 'referred pain'. She said that the pain is coming from the diaphragm, where the gas is trapped and the nerve endings travel up to your shoulder. She said it's similiar to menstrual cramps that you feel in your back. The pain really isn't in your back but the nerve endings travel there and you sometimes feel the pain there. ...or sometimes when you have appendicitis, you may feel it first around your belly button.

And that's what I learned for today.

'Living the dream'

Denise

Hey you, I am glad to hear you are doing well....did he say what to do to resolve the shoulder pain?

Cathy

Hey Denise,

glad to hear everything else is going ok. I have not experienced the shoulder pain, but I really think I am having a gas pain in my temple. It is like being stabbed there. I took a pain pill for that and finally went to sleep, but I am sereious, I think it's a gas pain. I will continue eating the gas x strips to see if it will help, then I will switch to phazyme.

anyone else had a "gas headache"? :wacko:

reneej

Thanks for sharing that with us, very informative! I'll be seeing my doctor tomorrow at 11a just to make sure for a follow up. Is your shoulder pain, like near your neck spreading toward down your elbow? Just wondering because that's what happened yesterday to me... when I was walking my 4000 steps, I got a little pain there, but then it went away. Well, I'm glad to see you are doing well, I feel so happy today, i guess it's because I finally weighed myself and saw the loss, for the first time I can say that I am estatic about a loss :D

------

weight.png

20.gif

No, my shoulder pain is right in the top of my shoulder and a bit into my upper arm just below the shoulder. It always comes after I eat (drink) no matter how so I sip. I'm sure it will get better with time though because I'm feeling terrific besides that.

Hey you, I am glad to hear you are doing well....did he say what to do to resolve the shoulder pain?

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

My doc (she) said that it should ease up in a few days. I hope so because when it hits its like a toothache in the bone. But the up side to it, ...it keeps my mind off eating for a few minutes. :laugh1:

BTW... did you get your appointments made?

Take care,

Denise