can you feel the port?

I have been reading and researching so much that my eyes and brain hurts. Everyone is so positive the choice is almost common sense. What really made up my mind was today when I told myself that I could loose weight on my own cooked 2 eggs ate them and then went back to finish off that bag of oreos. I realized yeah, I need a little help! Can anyone tell me if port pain is common and after a few months can the port be felt? Is it somethng inside that is a constant reminder everytime you move? I am talking to Carolyn, shes been a big help. Anyone from or near West Palm Beach, Florida?

I can feel my wife's port from the outside just by touching her belly. It only bothers her if she gets bumped a little hard right in that spot, but even then I don't know if she would really call it painful or anything like that.

I have been reading and researching so much that my eyes and brain hurts. Everyone is so positive the choice is almost common sense. What really made up my mind was today when I told myself that I could loose weight on my own cooked 2 eggs ate them and then went back to finish off that bag of oreos. I realized yeah, I need a little help! Can anyone tell me if port pain is common and after a few months can the port be felt? Is it somethng inside that is a constant reminder everytime you move? I am talking to Carolyn, shes been a big help. Anyone from or near West Palm Beach, Florida?

Hello 2BAHottie,

I just returned from my surgical consult and asked if the port is noticable and how far under the skin it is...and he advised that you should not be able to see when you look at your tummy and you should not be able to feel it, it's under several layers of skin and tissue. He did mention however, if you lose alot of weight, it may start to come closer to the surface and be more notice than it was when implanted.

I am even more sure since speaking with the surgeon that this is the right decision for me..it's won't be easy...but having the tool to loose weight and keep it off, is priceless.

Good luck with your research and whatever you decide, make sure it's right for you!!! Cathy

First off, :lb9:

So many of us have been where you are, trying to do it on our own but always falling off the band wagon one way or another!! That's what's so great about the band it is a safety net for those times when you feel like cheating it keeps you in check!!

As for the port you can't see or feel mine currently but Cathy is right about the port becoming more visible in people who lose a lot of weight if that happens you can return to your surgeon to get a low-profile port installed.

Hello,

I lived in Wellington from 1987 until 2 years ago, when we relocated to Park City, UT. I got banded March 20th and wish I'd of done it years ago. Unless I go prod for it, I am not aware of my port site. I'd be happy to share any information you think you need.

Arlene

(utahmom)

Hey, yes we have all been where you are...I love oreos and doritos and ice cream and fried chicken.....should I go on? And there is nothing wrong with these foods.....until you eat the whole bag, box, tub...etc....which is what I also used to do. Congrats on deciding to explore the decision of being banded. One of the best things I've done in my life!!

And yes, I can feel my port, but only when I try to. I am a nurse so I am constantly checking things out. Pain...none unless I check things out too much and make it sore. Now I must say that most of my weight is in my hips and thighs. Not a whole lot of truncal obesity...but some! Can you see my port? Not usually...but if I eat too much it does stick out a little (like a little lump)...but so does my belly :huh: ! Anyway...keep us posted on your decision and :lb11:

Wow, you guys are great! It feels so good to ask a question and get so many replies. Its also wonderful to feel that I'm not alone, it really is less scary when you have support even if it is online supporters. Thank you very much!