Scheduled For April 22nd, 2008 in TJ

I am getting ready to travel to San Diego on Monday morning. I am not sure if I am supposed to fast on Monday or Tuesday (the surgery date). I am so anxious! I have been researching weight loss surgery for the last 10 years. I keep hearing about the gasx strips. What is this for? I am so hungry on the Pre-Op Diet and the thought of going 8 more weeks like this sounds impossible!! But, I will take it one day at a time! PRAY FOR ME! Any suggestions? I probably read them all but, I still feel like there is someone out there who can tell me the secret to getting through this! Ok, now that I think about it, I think it was when I started reading all of the forums about eating that really made me hungry. I was fine all day today. And I should be in bed right now, then I wouldn't even think about food. But, I am so interested in this and want to know everything about it. Well, I guess I should...this is a life changing event. Is it true that we can have 1 last meal before the surgery? I was originally scheduled to have the surgery in the US on 4/11 but because of insurance difficulties was not able to. So, I feel like I been on this liquid diet all month already! I would be happy with 1 last meal before having to wait 8 weeks post op! WOW! Too long!

Hi Kia! First of all, you will be alright. You can fast 12 hours before pre-ops and have a "last meal" the day before surgery. So if you have pre-ops Monday and surgery Tuesday you would fast Sunday night, go to pre-ops and have your last meal that day before midnight. On surgery day, you'll be fasting until your surgery. However, since you are fasting and can get into surgery that same day, I would recommend it because it's that much faster to healing and getting back to solids. GasX is for the gassy, bloated fealling you may experience after surgery. Not all people get the feeling, but most normally do.

The lpre-op diet is good for your body because it is getting ready for some trauma. So when and if you have your last meal, try to keep it easy, at least not deep fried. I had a filet mignon with half a ceasar salad...so.... I figured a nice steak should carry me through the post-op diet. So far so good.

Have a nice time in TJ, take some sun glasses to soak up the sun and relax, you will have a nice experience. Cant wait to read your update. Your welcome to read mine at :April 10, 2008 -newly banded

:lb9:

If you get in early enough Monday and they have room, there is a good chance they will go ahead and band you Monday - if you want. SO, maybe have your last meal Sunday, just in case.

Yes, the pre-op is hard, but once you are banded, you won't feel hungry so you will be fine. After a week or so from surgery, you will start feeling hungry but won't be able to eat because you are on liquids, but most people do fine. It really isn't so bad. But do remember, that the real weight loss won't come until after you get your first fill, so don't get discouraged.

Tell us all about it when you are done, ok? And good luck!!

I am getting ready to travel to San Diego on Monday morning. I am not sure if I am supposed to fast on Monday or Tuesday (the surgery date). I am so anxious! I have been researching weight loss surgery for the last 10 years. I keep hearing about the gasx strips. What is this for? I am so hungry on the Pre-Op Diet and the thought of going 8 more weeks like this sounds impossible!! But, I will take it one day at a time! PRAY FOR ME! Any suggestions? I probably read them all but, I still feel like there is someone out there who can tell me the secret to getting through this! Ok, now that I think about it, I think it was when I started reading all of the forums about eating that really made me hungry. I was fine all day today. And I should be in bed right now, then I wouldn't even think about food. But, I am so interested in this and want to know everything about it. Well, I guess I should...this is a life changing event. Is it true that we can have 1 last meal before the surgery? I was originally scheduled to have the surgery in the US on 4/11 but because of insurance difficulties was not able to. So, I feel like I been on this liquid diet all month already! I would be happy with 1 last meal before having to wait 8 weeks post op! WOW! Too long!

Best of Luck with your travels and surgery, you will do fine! It's an exciting time for you and rewards will make it worth it!

Let us know how you are doing when you get back.

Take Care Cathy

Thanks for all of the good advice. I am excited and packing my clothes now. I won't arrive to TJ until the afternoon. So, I'm thinking that my pre-ops testing and the surgery will be the same day. I hope I don't have to wait around too long on Tuesday. I will enjoy 1 last (light) meal Tuesday evening with my family before surgery. My parents and my husband are going with me. My Mom says that she may try to schedule soon as well. (She was skeptical at first!). Hopefully I will have access to the internet there. If so, I will reply to you all to let you know how everything went. Thanks again for the support and advice. ><'

First of all, Best of luck to you! The post op liquid diet is for 3 weeks and then you have three weeks to go before you can get your first fill, but you are eating solid food. I am in week two post op and have not been hungry at all...I miss chewing but not hungry. Have a great time in TJ and look forward to living life with the band!