I TOLD MY MOM!!

I was very apprehensive about telling my Mom about my plans to have Lap Band in the next month or two. When I first mentioned it, she gasped and reacted as I had expected, with great concern.

I explained everything and told I had research all of my options and for health reasons, I believe this is the options for me. She relaxed and told me that she would support me completely. She said she would even be there if I wanted her to and come to help with the kids, if I need her. Wow, I am so happy I told her now. My Mom and I have a very close relationship, best friends who talk about everything and I felt guilty not sharing this with her.

If no one else is supportive, I at least have my husband, my kids and my Mom!! That's all the that matters!!

Thanks for listenening....Cathy

The only people I told are my hubby [of course], our 2 daughters and one friend. I didn't want to hear the negativity. I'm glad I can come to this forum to talk and hear advice. It's awesome that your Mom is so supportive, sounds like you have a strong support system!! :party::D

The only people I told are my hubby [of course], our 2 daughters and one friend. I didn't want to hear the negativity. I'm glad I can come to this forum to talk and hear advice. It's awesome that your Mom is so supportive, sounds like you have a strong support system!! :party::D

I'm not telling anyone except the people who live with me and 1 friend..

Hi Cath,

I'm glad everything went well when you told your mom. Its great to have the support of your mom. ...and Cath don't forget, you have my support as well. You have my number, call me whenever you need to talk.

Denise

Good for you!!!

When I told my family, they freaked out. Not about the lap band itself (my sister had it done before me, in the US) but they freaked because I told them Mexico. They gave me such a hard time, I told them I canceled it. Then, I went anyway and took lots of pictures and videos and showed them after I came home. THEN, they were ok with it. In fact, the 2 who freaked the most (my mom and my neice) are now coming back with me for my first fill. So, it was ok, only after the fact for me.

I was so disappointed at how mad and upset my mom was. Because, like you, we are close too. I tried to tell her how much research I did, but she didn't want to believe it. She told me, they don't wash their hands in Mexico! My neice said thats the dirtiest and most dangerous city to go to, and my brother told me that you have to take someone with you because they don't dispense drugs at the hospitals, they send you down a dark back alley to purchase the drugs you need. And this all from people who supposedly have high IQ's!! I wanted to smack them all!

When I got back, I told them I had the best time and was taken care of better than at any other time here in the U.S. The Mexicans are so far ahead of us in this department, we in the U.S. should be embarrassed. The people there are so caring and nice, and what U.S. doctor would ever give you their cell phone number and actually expect you to use it?

So, you are very lucky you have such a great mom. It will make your trip that much easier.