First Day of Real Food Since My 1st Fill

Ok so it has been 7 weeks since being banded and I had my 1st fill on Friday at the OCC (along with 5 other girls also banded on 2/28)... I was given 1.6cc and everything went fine, I did have some minor concerns after my fill that I might be too tight given the fact that I felt queasy and was burping for 2hrs after the fill. But I later realized that I was queasy from hunger since I hadn't eaten in 14hours, and the burping only seems to come when I drink a lot of liquid on an empty stomach so the fill wasn't directly to blame for either issue... If you want to read a more detailed account of my fill you can find it HERE

Sooooooooooooooooo today was my first day to eat real food, for the past 3 days I've been on liquids and haven't really been hungry but there have been a few cravings that I think were mostly mental. So today I did a shake for breakfast and one for lunch again not much hunger but I'm usually only hungry at night. For dinner my husband and I decided on a steakhouse that offers a fixed menu deal for a reasonable price. The meal includes a salad, 6oz filet and dessert but I figured I would end up taking most of it home since that's what happened when we went out to a steakhouse on April 12th in what I figured was going to be a "last supper" before getting my fill, you can read more about that experience HERE

Long story short I was able to eat the same amount as I did before the fill maybe even a little more, I never really felt full. I ended up eating 1cup of salad, 4oz of steak and dinner roll before making myself stop because mentally I knew I was eating too much... and while this is less than what I used to consume I know that I'm not feeling that magic sweet spot of restriction with my current fill level. I know some people end up getting tighter as time passes but I'm pretty convinced that I will need to return to the OCC for a 2nd fill sometime soon.

I know most people would be more upset or panicking in this situation but for me it's ok for now because I know that have enough will power to stick with the shakes during the day and to keep my portions small during dinner to keep myself on the losing track until I can go back for another fill. The way I look at it was I was able to lose 23lbs with ZERO fill using mostly self control so I can keep relying on myself to lose weight with a 1.6cc fill the same way, after I get another fill then I can rely less on my mind and more on my band!!

I know this isn't the response that most of you expected or wanted to hear but I'm not one to sugar coat things... I know others have not reached their sweet spot after only one fill and the fact that they shared their stories and have gone through the same thing is a comfort to me now. So while I feel terrible that I have to be the one to bring this issue back into the spotlight I think it's important that everyone knows what to expect if they find themselves in the same situation.

I am still totally happy with my band, and the OCC of course I'm just still in that tweaking phase!!

Thanks for the update Michelle. Thank God the band is designed to get additional fills until we do hit that sweet spot. I agree, you do have a lot of will power and have done GREAT since your banding without a fill. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see you in that dress. I know you'll make it. You take pics next week, right?

Thanks for the explanation. But, yes, it does kind of make me bummed! I haven't had a first fill yet and I was so hoping for good restriction because I am eating like a hog!! I wouldn't care about going back for additional fills, but I have to fly so far and the cost!

I am very jealous of your self control, you are very lucky to be able to have lost so much. I have been trying to get back on track and I am having such a hard time. For God sakes I had ice cream cake last night!! Then, Girls scout cookies! WHAT A SLOB!

But, I guess I should just shut up, stop worrying and just wait and see what my fill is like. If I have to go back, then I have to go back.

I think I need a second job. Being busy is the best thing for me. I wishmy job now was busier. We are so slow, I sit with nothing to do most of the day and think about food food food!

Anwya, thanks for all your posts. It's good to read about your experiences. I'll get there sooner or later.

Ohhhh Michelle, I'm sorry... thanks for your experience. I feel kinda bad for you! It's great that you have self control because I wouldn't be able to do what you are doing... I needed that restriction! Now I'm wondering how the others are doing. 3 of us got the 1.7cc fill and you were one of the 1.6cc fill, who was the other one? I'm curious to know. Ladies from our fill group if you can post something about your fill... working for you or not? That's why I didn't obey the 3 day waiting Dr. Romero advised. I don't have the luxury to fly down again immediately to do an unfill or adjustment right now. I'd have to drive, well not too far for me to Arlington but then I'd spend more money to do the adjustment. When we got to the hotel on Friday night (Hyatt), I immediately searched for the fill afer care... they do vary... but I distinctly read that there was only a one day back to fluid then mush the following day... and if you felt good on the third day and no problem then you were back to eating regularly as a bandster. It would have defeated the purpose of staying the few extra nights to see if the fill was correct. Sorry... I do tend to make my decisions based on forehand knowledge... this was something I was certain about.

I have read that sometimes it takes a few days for it to kick in...although I don't know how or can't remember the explanation... I'd call Dr. Romero and find out if he has anything to offer as far as an explanation. I'm sure he must have something to tell you that's helpful! At the least, and I know it's inconvenient, you can drive there.. Best wishes in whatever you decide Michelle!

Hanna

Thanks sweetheart, right now I'm really not too concerned about getting the 2nd fill I may try to get down there around the 1st of May... Again for me the band has always been more of a safety net... where I am able to control myself 80% of the time so when I really need the band it's for those times that I fall off the bandwagon (lol) and usually end up gaining the weight back.

You are right it was Zulma and I that got the smaller fill!! I too have been wondering how everyone else is doing, so 2/28 bandsters let us know how you're feeling and what you're able to eat after your fill!!

Im with you Michelle. Im going to work with my band and continue to lose the weight, however I know that I will need another fill. I am still not hungry, and I still need to work on my will power- i duno what it is about 3:30/4:00 in the afternoon but i feel like if I dont have a snack Im going to die! haha Even though Im not at my sweet spot, the band is always there to remind me to be concious of what im eating, and how much Im eating! We can lose weight, sweet spot or not! :lol2:

Hi Hanna!

As we're both from the same state - I can relate to the costs associated with going back to OCC for our first fill. Can you be more specific on what you did? I'm flying down 5/16 and getting filled 5/17, and flying home that evening. We were going to have dinner out 5/16 and a healthy breakfast 5/17 before getting my fill at 10am. Claudia said I only needed 2 hours fasting. I was going to ask to eat something - Claudia said they can order out so I can "test" my fill. After your experience, would you recommend I do something different? I too am looking at costs and not wanting to drive to Arlington to spend more! I don't mind driving to Arlington in a couple months for a second fill, but not just after I spent alot of money to get a fill at OCC - know what I mean!!!

I appreciate whatever advice you may have :)

And thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences - I KNOW we are all learning from them!!!

Thanks sweetheart, right now I'm really not too concerned about getting the 2nd fill I may try to get down there around the 1st of May... Again for me the band has always been more of a safety net... where I am able to control myself 80% of the time so when I really need the band it's for those times that I fall off the bandwagon (lol) and usually end up gaining the weight back.

You are right it was Zulma and I that got the smaller fill!! I too have been wondering how everyone else is doing, so 2/28 bandsters let us know how you're feeling and what you're able to eat after your fill!!

Come on May 6th.. two of us are getting fills that afternoon. :)

Ramona,

don't feel that way about yourself, give yourself some credit. You have lost alot already and you will continue to lose more.

You had mentioned about the cost of having fills done. I don't know what it is like where you live, but here in Kansas, I called a couple of doctor's offices that do the lap band and told them I had my lap band done in mexico and would like to have my fills done locally. All of them agreed to do it as long as I got my operation notes from OCC. The first visit (fill) ranges from 455-250, then the fills after that are only 155. That might be an option you could check into.

Hi Hanna!

As we're both from the same state - I can relate to the costs associated with going back to OCC for our first fill. Can you be more specific on what you did? I'm flying down 5/16 and getting filled 5/17, and flying home that evening. We were going to have dinner out 5/16 and a healthy breakfast 5/17 before getting my fill at 10am. Claudia said I only needed 2 hours fasting. I was going to ask to eat something - Claudia said they can order out so I can "test" my fill. After your experience, would you recommend I do something different? I too am looking at costs and not wanting to drive to Arlington to spend more! I don't mind driving to Arlington in a couple months for a second fill, but not just after I spent alot of money to get a fill at OCC - know what I mean!!!

And thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences - I KNOW we are all learning from them!!!

Hi Calicat,

Yes, there is some confusion in my part about the 3 day liquid diet after the first fill. That is what we were advised. Now you are telling me that Claudia will order food to "test" your fill? Could you have misunderstood her?

Hanna

I am concerned for you that you are still on the protein shakes, especially since the instructions from OCC specifically say NO more shakes after the 3rd day of the fill.

Also, I was really good about getting enough protein, and maybe a little much, as my kidney bloodwork came back with some elevated kidney function. So, be careful.

Also, I lost 112 pounds in 52 weeks, and I lost a BUNCH of hair. Just cautioning you here, because I have been there and done that. My hair pretty much grew back, but it still isn't as thick as it was before that.

Hi Michelle and my other Banster girls Hannah, Lisa, and Zulma,

I had a 1.7cc fill and I think I have restriction. I so far have been afraid to eat too much (unlike all the eating I did prior to the fill). I do get full after eating about 1 cup of food. I haven't tried more than that. I hope that I continue to feel full. Have been mostly eating protein and veggies. Ate a little rice and it went down OK no bread yet.

Linda

Hi Gals

I was in the exact same spot after my first fill. I only lost 3lbs . I think I thought it would really make a difference.

I had my second fill (not at the OCC) three weeks later.I started to eat food today. I feel less hungry after this fill than before (gotta be a good thing) although I can still eat the same amount of food.

My Dr said you have to sneak up on the sweet spot so I'm comfortable thinking my next one should do the trick.

Keep up the good work.

Nicolek

I am sorry Michelle. I was hoping you would have more restriction, but hopefully after one more fill it will be better. Stay strong! You are an amazing person!

I am concerned for you that you are still on the protein shakes, especially since the instructions from OCC specifically say NO more shakes after the 3rd day of the fill.

Also, I was really good about getting enough protein, and maybe a little much, as my kidney bloodwork came back with some elevated kidney function. So, be careful.

Also, I lost 112 pounds in 52 weeks, and I lost a BUNCH of hair. Just cautioning you here, because I have been there and done that. My hair pretty much grew back, but it still isn't as thick as it was before that.

Thanks for your concern Paula but the only reason that I continue to drink the shakes is because I actually enjoy them! I've never been one to be hungry in the morning or even afternoon; before being banded I would skip those 2 meals and then binge eat at night consuming all of my calories during dinner. Drinking a shake for breakfast and one for lunch is a way for me to keep my metabolism going so I don't feel like binge eating at night...

I have spoken to Dr. Miranda about my habits and progress and she tells me to stick with what's working for me! Basically way she explained it to me is that the rule about not drinking protein shakes is because people will drink the shakes and still feel hungry (since the band isn't designed to restrict liquids) so they would be hungry and hour later and eat again basically giving you double the calories. She said that since I'm not feeling hungry during the day that keeping up the shake plan is fine!

Usually the main reason for hair loss in relation to losing weight is lack of protein so I am surprised to hear that you still had issues losing hair when you were getting so much. I have been getting 70-90 grams of protien per day and I am taking a multi-vitamin as well so I do hope that will help circumvent that issue!

Thanks again for your concern sweetie!

Ummm, is that your pic? Because, if it is, you don't need to be loosing any more weight!

Lol, well you are very sweet but I carry most of my weight in my stomach, thighs and legs (which you can't see in my avatar) that pic was from about 2 weeks ago and I am still over 200lbs so I have another 55-70lbs to lose!!

Here's a full length pic so you can see what I mean:

m_df4c4cf9036747c34c5e87f516d54bd8.jpg

Hi there Hanna, Michelle, Linda and other bandsters... well my experience is somewhat similar to yours Michelle. I too as you know, got only the 1.6cc. I am still drinking my proteine shakes and coffee in the morning, a soup for lunch (may I say goes down with no problem) and THEN! come dinner time, I find that I can eat and the restriction is not as restricting as I thought it would be! Daaaaaaamn!... I had 3 crackers the other night and those didn't go down to well, I got that horrible pain, and the feeling that your gasping for air. But as far as other foods? as long as I chew, chew, chew, they go down fine. I of course am taking in smaller portions only cause thats the way it "should" be, but I can actually eat more if I let myself. Which I don't. So I too have too use more self control, instead of having my band do the all the work. So until I go see Dr. Romero I am on my own. So we'll see how it goes for me. One day at a time.

As far as for eating after a fill... I think it should be done (next day, that is). I see it as testing the fill... cause if you don't how do you know if it actually worked. Mostly for those who have to travel so far. I say liquids for the rest of the day of your fill and then try to eat the next day.

So Michelle let me know when your ready for the next trip. Lucky for us we are not that far. : )

Z.

Hi Hanna!

Calicat,

Read post "February Fills" by Doolittle

I had posted something on April 1st to our group before going to our fill date. Follow the post and see what the experienced bandsters will have to say.

Hanna

MM

I was with Paula and concerned about drinking shakes when they wrote in BOLD not to. I am so glad that you posted your reasoning behind having the shakes and that Dr Miranda agreed. I also am not a day eater, but definitely PM eater! I love having breakfast shake then lunch and dinner so now I'll do it without guilt!

SJ

Hi MM,

Your attitude is great as always. Still, I think you should call OCC (for us - haha) and ask about why you are still able to eat so much. I know you are ok with it, but I think all the rest of us are so curious.

You have been a great motivator to so many of us and quite knowledgeable about our bands and I want to thank you for always being there for us - I know that is why you have so many well wishes.

You also seem to have great will power and that is fantastic. Keep up the great attitude, and if you find out anything from Dr R please post it.

Best, Helen

><'