Wondering about all the protein

Fatcat

Hi Everybody -

This is food for thought - no pun here.

We all discuss how we should drink, drink, and eat, eat protein first and get in about 90 grams a day. I think the normal is between 40-70 a day depending on your weight . If anything is wrong with our kidneys, we can damage them more by eating too much protein. Also when we eat too much protein, our body turns the protein into glucose. There are other reasons why our intake shouldn't be so high. Normally our diet would be about 50g carbs (I know that is too high for must of us though) 17g fat, I believe, and I mentioned the amount of protein above.

And I'm starting to wonder about this - did we all have to be lapbanded to lose weight if our diet is mostly protein? Why didn't we just follow the Atkins diet, after the second week, which truly is just a modified version of a high protein diet - but without the banding and without the many restrictions?

Just throwing this out here to get a good discussion going. I find I get more confused by all this with each new day and the more I read. I've been banded, and I don't want to go through being upbanded, but this is a good subject I think we should have on this forum so we can : weigh the pros and cons of lapbanding, ensure we have a good diet, and to help those thinking of this type of weight loss method by passing on informative and correct information.

Helen ><':wacko:

Hi Everybody -

This is food for thought - no pun here.

We all discuss how we should drink, drink, and eat, eat protein first and get in about 90 grams a day. I think the normal is between 40-70 a day depending on your weight . If anything is wrong with our kidneys, we can damage them more by eating too much protein. Also when we eat too much protein, our body turns the protein into glucose. There are other reasons why our intake shouldn't be so high. Normally our diet would be about 50g carbs (I know that is too high for must of us though) 17g fat, I believe, and I mentioned the amount of protein above.

And I'm starting to wonder about this - did we all have to be lapbanded to lose weight if our diet is mostly protein? Why didn't we just follow the Atkins diet, after the second week, which truly is just a modified version of a high protein diet - but without the banding and without the many restrictions?

Just throwing this out here to get a good discussion going. I find I get more confused by all this with each new day and the more I read. I've been banded, and I don't want to go through being upbanded, but this is a good subject I think we should have on this forum so we can : weigh the pros and cons of lapbanding, ensure we have a good diet, and to help those thinking of this type of weight loss method by passing on informative and correct information.

Helen ><':wacko:

Just so you know.. Carbs turn into glucose.. Protien breaks down into it's basic forms of amino acids.. the formula for protien consumption is .36 x your body weight.. HTH

Ok Red, So a 200 lbs person would need only 72 g of protein (200 x.36) = 72 - the ball park of what I said and I know carbs break down into glucose; but so do order foods we take in (please see below) when you take in more than your body can handle.

Excerpt from article: Protein is broken down into tiny building blocks called amino acids. These are essential in our diet. Nothing else will do to provide the building blocks we need for muscles and other tissues. We need about 1 gram of protein per day per kilogram of body weight. Anything we take in over that gets turned into glucose or ketones (another source of energy) and used as energy, or it can be turned into fat for storage. So too much protein will make you just as large as too much butter. http://www.jtcrunning.com/Articles/Metabolism.htm

Best, Helen ><'

Personally I am a big believer of protein. I've read that its normal to have .5grm per pound of body weight and if you workout you should be taking in 1gram per lb. I did Atkins in 2004 and lost 80lbs in 7 months, but I workoud out 6-7 days week. With a higher protein diet it cuts back on cravings and hunger it was quite amazing. I started eating a lot less so I was actually not taking any more protein in than a healthy amount since I was exercising. I was also pre-diabetic before Atkins and use to get sugar lows all the time. Once I changed my way of eating it all went away and I didn't have any lows until the last 6 months. Not a good feeling. Of course, I was not able to stick with my new lifestyle and the junk came sneeking in. Those cravings came rushing back and I haven't been able to go back. I am hoping with the band that I will feel full. I need that feeling because I eat too much and by having something there to keep me in check is hopefully the answer. Weightloss is getting to be a little tooooooo expensive. In the past I've had lipo-suction and a tummy tuck. thank goodness for an understanding husband :rolleyes:

sue

Of course if any one has kidney problems they can not do a high protein diet. Blood work should be done to make sure everything is ok.

Ok Red, So a 200 lbs person would need only 72 g of protein (200 x.36) = 72 - the ball park of what I said and I know carbs break down into glucose; but so do order foods we take in (please see below) when you take in more than your body can handle.

Excerpt from article: Protein is broken down into tiny building blocks called amino acids. These are essential in our diet. Nothing else will do to provide the building blocks we need for muscles and other tissues. We need about 1 gram of protein per day per kilogram of body weight. Anything we take in over that gets turned into glucose or ketones (another source of energy) and used as energy, or it can be turned into fat for storage. So too much protein will make you just as large as too much butter. http://www.jtcrunning.com/Articles/Metabolism.htm

Best, Helen ><'

LOL here is a little excerpt from a study conducted in a clinical setting ..

However, the amount of glucose appearing in the circulation was only 2 g. The peripheral plasma glucose concentration decreased by 1 mM after ingestion of either protein or water, confirming that ingested protein does not result in a net increase in glucose concentration, and results in only a modest increase in the rate of glucose disappearance.

here is the site that I got it from if you want to read the whole article.. http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/86/3/1040%20

One thing I'm going to add, after you start getting your fills, its really difficult to get all of your protein in. You have to fight and really keep track of it.

I can generally only each a couple TBs of turkey or other protein - which is only 4 grams on average. Its something you'll need to watch. (By the way, great job looking at the studies, I run a business that deals with Dr's and thats what I have to do for much of my time) You're hired!

How important is the protein? I don't think I am getting enough of it. :mellow:

Its an important part of your diet, however its just as important as the vegetables, fruits, cereals and grains you should be eating. I really stick with high protein low fat meat and keep away from the saturated fat. Start keeping track of the protein your taking in, and in any diet what everyone says here is right, you don't want too much or too little of what's good for you. And remember you can get protein from beans and nuts as well!

Added - I found a protein calculator online from the University of Maryland - seems high to me since my Doctor just told me I could cut down on my protein intake since I've lost weight - however gives you a good idea.

http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp

Hi Lisal,

I agree with your completely. In our quest to lose weight, we know that eating more protein less carbs usually helps. However, as always, everthing in moderation. If any of you feel you are eating too many proteins, please check with your doctor - also the scale Lisal shows is a great estimate. He has me a little high also, but I what I should be eating so I'm ok. And again, ANYTHING, we eat too much of turns to sugar and fat so we want to be careful there.

thanks for all the thoughts and info from all of you - it allows us to make better choices.

Best,Helen ><'

How important is the protein? I don't think I am getting enough of it. :mellow:

Hi Kimmie, and Hi all!

I am worried about not getting enough protein.

I found I just can't do it eating 3 tiny meals a day. I am getting 40 grams a day at best.

I want this to work, but I think I am missing something.

I have noticed my fingernails have become very soft, easily torn or splitting, and for the past 2 days I have felt light-headed and dizzy.

Do I substitue a protein shake for a meal? Any ideas?

I got my first fill this week and prior to it I hadn't really lost much, so I am concerned with calories, carbs, etc.

Kate

Hello Kate,

I'm just copying the below from another post of mine:

"One bit of advice - whenever I was moving slow I would increase my protein intake - I'd have my Isopure Low Carb, high protein shake in the morning. It has 50 grams of 100% Ion Exchange Whey Protein Isolate and when you add in your nonfat high protein milk that brings you up to 60 grams for only 310 calaries. It was my biggest hit of calories for the day and I'd only have it in the morning when my band was tight. (I was lucky if I could drink it all) And then the rest of the day only solids in two other meals, my band is tight so about 1/4 to 1/2 cup total and I'd always start with my protein (chicken/fish/turkey) chew the living daylights out of it and then veggies - hardly had room for fruit and rarely made it to the carbs - but tried.

The high protein really kicked my body into burning the fat - I had heard that from a lady from this board that had lost most of her weight - she was right on."

(Its a great way to get a good amount of protein in one meal)

Best,

Lisa

Hello Kate,

I'm just copying the below from another post of mine:

"One bit of advice - whenever I was moving slow I would increase my protein intake - I'd have my Isopure Low Carb, high protein shake in the morning. It has 50 grams of 100% Ion Exchange Whey Protein Isolate and when you add in your nonfat high protein milk that brings you up to 60 grams for only 310 calaries. It was my biggest hit of calories for the day and I'd only have it in the morning when my band was tight. (I was lucky if I could drink it all) And then the rest of the day only solids in two other meals, my band is tight so about 1/4 to 1/2 cup total and I'd always start with my protein (chicken/fish/turkey) chew the living daylights out of it and then veggies - hardly had room for fruit and rarely made it to the carbs - but tried.

The high protein really kicked my body into burning the fat - I had heard that from a lady from this board that had lost most of her weight - she was right on."

(Its a great way to get a good amount of protein in one meal)

Best,

Lisa

Lisa,

Thank You so much! I will start that this weekend! Kate

The gastric bypass surgerys cause you to have "malabsorption" problems. IOW, everything goes right through you with very little being digested. It was important to get as much protein as possible because it caused a multitude of problems if you didn't.

Your body not only needs protein to build muscle, but to repair it too. Not enough protein will cause hair loss as well.

Since lap band doesn't cause you to have malabsorption problem - all of the food gets digested - an overabundance of protein isn't needed, except in the beginning when you are only on liquids.

Once you get on regular food, you are advised to eat your protein first because you are eating so little of all food, you want to make sure you get your protein in, unless you want to be flabby and bald. ;) Protein usually contains some fat, even lean meats have some fat in them and you need a small amount of fat every day. If you get full before you make it on to carbohydrates in your meal, you can always drink your carbs. Fruit juce, V-8, yogurt smoothie, whatever. It doesn't take a lot of juice or yogurt to get all of the carbohydrates you need if you find you aren't hungry enough to eat a salad or veggies with your dinner.

Good luck!

Jena - 9 days and counting!

Hi Lisa,

I just noticed that you talked about the 50gram lowcarb/high protein shake - where do you buy that? I think that will be great for breakfast, then i can eat a little more protein at lunch and veggies for supper. I will have my first fill soon and I like the way you are getting lots of your protein. Do you have to sip the shake or morning or does it go down fairly easy?

Best, Helen

PS - just noticed you drink it with high protein milk - I never saw that either - where do they sell it? ><' ><'

Hello Helen,

I buy the Isopure at drugstore.com, you can get it for an additional 20% off with a GNC card. (you can pick it up at your local GNC as well, but check the prices sometimes its more there).

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...amp;catid=31664

I buy the big one and it lasts me a couple of months at least. I'm a sipper, because I like to blend mine with ice, if I just use milk and a shaker it goes down pretty easy - but you never know in the morning!

The high protein low fat milk is just at my grocery store, I'm right down from Carnation and we have a lot of dairies so at times we have things that others don't carry. But ask they may be able to get it for you.

Best,

Lisa