A New Hairstyle to Kickstart Weight Loss

As many of you know, I was banded on 4/4/08, which means I am stuck in Bandster hell. Very little weight loss since surgery and I am hungry all the time and have no restriction. So I needed some inspiration and decided to get a new hairstyle today.

I decided to try out a new place - Talk of the Town. It's a small shop (hip mother and daughter) full salon, facials, tanning, massages, haircuts and colors. Reminded me at first of the beauty shop that was on Steel Magnolias (you know the one Dolly owned!)..... so I confessed to a complete stranger that I recently had lapband surgery and wanted something new. I let her choose for me. She picked a cute style that I would have picked myself and at the same time she showed me the sytle she chose for me when I lose my extra weight (I liked it! - sorta wicked . hahahah)..... so I have a new hair cut, shorter and whispier but nothing too drastic. I like it. I needed it and it sparked something in me.

Sooo.... for you new bandsters on the road to their new journey, if you haven't already, get a new hair style, it's just what the doctor ordered.

I also wanted to let you know what the stylist used when washing my hair. I thought it was interesting and weird at first. I suppose it make sense .....

First shampooed and then she used regular vinegar. It was COLD and I could smell it. I smelled like an easter egg. She said it made hair shine. Ok. Then she shampooed one more time. Then she said next, we're going to use Sea Breeze which is good for your scalp and rids your hair of products..... I asked her what was sea breeze (I imagined it as being an expensive hair product that only a hairdresser could purchase). Ummm nope.... the stuff you put on your face? Remember Sea Breeze???!?!? Ok, so now I smelled like an easter egg fighting acne ....

Was the best $40.00 I've spent in a long time!

I left there with a wonderful cut and my hair shined like never before. I'm moving my vinegar from the kitchen cabinet to my shower. I'm going to Wal-mart to buy some Sea Breeze.

As many of you know, I was banded on 4/4/08, which means I am stuck in Bandster hell. Very little weight loss since surgery and I am hungry all the time and have no restriction. So I needed some inspiration and decided to get a new hairstyle today.

I decided to try out a new place - Talk of the Town. It's a small shop (hip mother and daughter) full salon, facials, tanning, massages, haircuts and colors. Reminded me at first of the beauty shop that was on Steel Magnolias (you know the one Dolly owned!)..... so I confessed to a complete stranger that I recently had lapband surgery and wanted something new. I let her choose for me. She picked a cute style that I would have picked myself and at the same time she showed me the sytle she chose for me when I lose my extra weight (I liked it! - sorta wicked . hahahah)..... so I have a new hair cut, shorter and whispier but nothing too drastic. I like it. I needed it and it sparked something in me.

Sooo.... for you new bandsters on the road to their new journey, if you haven't already, get a new hair style, it's just what the doctor ordered.

I also wanted to let you know what the stylist used when washing my hair. I thought it was interesting and weird at first. I suppose it make sense .....

First shampooed and then she used regular vinegar. It was COLD and I could smell it. I smelled like an easter egg. She said it made hair shine. Ok. Then she shampooed one more time. Then she said next, we're going to use Sea Breeze which is good for your scalp and rids your hair of products..... I asked her what was sea breeze (I imagined it as being an expensive hair product that only a hairdresser could purchase). Ummm nope.... the stuff you put on your face? Remember Sea Breeze???!?!? Ok, so now I smelled like an easter egg fighting acne ....

Was the best $40.00 I've spent in a long time!

I left there with a wonderful cut and my hair shined like never before. I'm moving my vinegar from the kitchen cabinet to my shower. I'm going to Wal-mart to buy some Sea Breeze.

Sea Breeze also helps take out the smell from a perm.. Also Baking soda mixed with your shampoo will take out any styling product build-up...

I would have never thought to use Sea Breeze or baking soda .. thanks for the tips!!!!!!!

Are you a hairdresser??

Sea Breeze also helps take out the smell from a perm.. Also Baking soda mixed with your shampoo will take out any styling product build-up...

I would have never thought to use Sea Breeze or baking soda .. thanks for the tips!!!!!!!

Are you a hairdresser??

I use to be one.. Decided it wasn't what I wanted to be..

I did the same thing, once I hit 20lbs lost post op (about the first week of April) I decided to spurge and went to the Kim Vo salon at the Mirage here in Vegas. He is a celebrity hair colorist (Goldie Hawn, Kate Hudson, Britney Spears etc) he gave me a great color and one of his assistants did the cut... The picture on my avatar was a day after getting it done, it totally made me feel GREAT about myself and my progress!!

I totally recommend saving up all that money you're not spending on eating out to treat yourself to something that makes you feel extra special!

Great post Dawnie! I'm gonna try the vinegar and sea breeze thing! I also got inspired by Michelle to get a haircut and I did something extra... I got highlights put in. I HATED it at first because I was promised dark brown highlights and I ended up with blonde or very light brown highlights. This is something VERY new to me and I had never done it before so I think I went into shock! LOL! Anyways my husband and I are getting used to it and my older daughter's keep saying they like it and I am exaggerrating about it being too light. I guess it just depends on how the light catches my hair. Anyways all is well and it did make me feel great with the new cut! Love the cut!

Hanna

Lynna is that another Pound I see down for YOU. Way to Go!

Blessings!

Yes it is! Thanks mom12...you will never know how reading that this morning has helped me!

I have done both vinegar and Sea Breeze, at the recommendation of my Stylist. I couldn't stand the smell of the vinegar, (triggered my asthma,) but I LOVE the way Sea Breeze makes my scalp feel. I have never heard of baking soda to get rid of product buildup, but I will certainly try it, as the farther away I get from my cut and needing a new one, the more product I have to use.

Congratulations on taking the jump for something new and fresh. It is a terrific step to remind you that you are changing every day. Also, looking good increases your self-esteem so much.

Hooray for such an exciting step.

Did someone say "Highlights" yes it was you Hanna!!!

I think I'm going for the highlights next!

I better save a lot on my food bill to pay for all this hair stuff (right MamaMichelle?).

Ok, so how much did the celebrity salon charge for the cut and color - inquiring minds want to know. I imagine my $40 cut is nothing compared to what you probably paid.

I decided after going to bed with a new cut and style and waking up to the style being flattened, I need to bring my hairdresser home with me.

Does this mean I have to invest in some hairspray and maybe even use a curling iron!?!?!?!!!?

OHMIGOODNESS.

I have done both vinegar and Sea Breeze, at the recommendation of my Stylist. I couldn't stand the smell of the vinegar, (triggered my asthma,) but I LOVE the way Sea Breeze makes my scalp feel. I have never heard of baking soda to get rid of product buildup, but I will certainly try it, as the farther away I get from my cut and needing a new one, the more product I have to use.

Congratulations on taking the jump for something new and fresh. It is a terrific step to remind you that you are changing every day. Also, looking good increases your self-esteem so much.

Hooray for such an exciting step.

Hi Bandgroupie!

I actually went to a mini reunion in the hometown I grew up at in Cali about 3 weeks ago. My sister and I decided to pamper ourselves with manicures and a massage (oh by the way... a massage is SOOOO great!) and then I decided to get my hair cut with some highlights. I would recommend you get a picture from a magazine that appeals to you then ask your stylist if they can create it and then ask their opinion if it will be flattering on your face. All in all it was fun having myself pampered for a few days and then the highlights went bad because I was put under a hairdryer and my girlfriend and I got to talking ... and talking ... what was suppose to be 8-10 mins became more like 15-18 mins.

The moral of the lesson is DON'T talk when you are having your hair highlighted or permed where time is of the essence! You might end up with too light of a highlight or too tight of a curl. He he he he. Good luck on your new hairdo.

xoxoxo,

Hanna

Did someone say "Highlights" yes it was you Hanna!!!

I think I'm going for the highlights next!

I better save a lot on my food bill to pay for all this hair stuff (right MamaMichelle?).

Ok, so how much did the celebrity salon charge for the cut and color - inquiring minds want to know. I imagine my $40 cut is nothing compared to what you probably paid.

Geeez do you really want to know? Well my color was in really bad shape (I tried using the box of color from the grocery store for the first time) so with the color correction, full highlights, etc it was a quadruple process and took almost 4hrs before we even got to the cut. I think all total the cost was $400 but they offer a 20% discount for being a Vegas local so I paid $320 plus tip so like $380 total. I think the monthly touch up color will run about $140 each month and the cut every 2-3months run $75 plus $40 for the blowdry and style.

total the cost was $400 but they offer a 20% discount for being a Vegas local so I paid $320 plus tip so like $380 total. I think the monthly touch up color will run about $140 each month and the cut every 2-3months run $75 plus $40 for the blowdry and style.

Holy guacamole Michelle! That's so expensive! I guess you picked the celebrity motherload! In 2002, I went to Vancouver BC for a perm and cut and paid $230 Canadian with tips. I thought that was very expensive but it was really nice! I was at the salon for almost 4 hours. They were great and I even got a scalp and shoulder massage. I was thinking of going back to the salon but at Nordstrom's here in Seattle. I heard it's very nice but wow... I don't think I want to spend that much and then some for maintenance! I better find out how much it costs for such services. I guess the results for your cut and coloring was great... Love your hair!

Btw, how are you doing? I had weekend visitors, my brother, and it became a seafood eating frenzy. It was great to have him visit since it's been 8 years since he came out here. I was good... I was very good. I wanted to eat more but my band wouldn't let me. What a nice friend (my band) I have to remind me that I can't overdo it!

Hanna :)

HOLY COW!~~~~~~~~~~

Geeez do you really want to know? Well my color was in really bad shape (I tried using the box of color from the grocery store for the first time) so with the color correction, full highlights, etc it was a quadruple process and took almost 4hrs before we even got to the cut. I think all total the cost was $400 but they offer a 20% discount for being a Vegas local so I paid $320 plus tip so like $380 total. I think the monthly touch up color will run about $140 each month and the cut every 2-3months run $75 plus $40 for the blowdry and style.

That is about exactly what I pay. I had a complete makeover after I lost the last 100 pounds, about 5 years ago, and they had to strip the black, then update the cut, color, and highlights. I didn't tell them anything about what to do, and trusted that it would be beautiful, and it was. I am afraid to go anyplace else now, and save to make the sacrifice to do this. Many times I think my hair is the only thing I like about the way I look.

Paula, you do have nice hair and a nice cut!!

That is about exactly what I pay. I had a complete makeover after I lost the last 100 pounds, about 5 years ago, and they had to strip the black, then update the cut, color, and highlights. I didn't tell them anything about what to do, and trusted that it would be beautiful, and it was. I am afraid to go anyplace else now, and save to make the sacrifice to do this. Many times I think my hair is the only thing I like about the way I look.

So I got my hair highlighted!! I am going for a pedicure Friday and have been laying in the tanning bed!! Don't you just love pamering yourself.

Great picture Blazn!!!

So I got my hair highlighted!! I am going for a pedicure Friday and have been laying in the tanning bed!! Don't you just love pamering yourself.

I had my hair cut and colored by Nick Arrojo (What Not to Wear) !!!

It was an awesome experience - just a shade under $600 after all was

said and done -- def. a once in a lifetime thing !!!

I didnt give him any guidance (my mistake) and I got a great soccer-mom

cut, but I really wanted rocker-chick hair.

So 8 weeks went by, I went back to the girl who has cut my hair for about

12 years, showed her a couple of pictures, and as of yesterday, have short,

sassy, rocker chick hair !

Still loved meeting Nick and doing the NYC thing -- and thats very interesting

about Kim Vo -- my hair stylist said -- if you were going to go celebrity, why

didnt you go to Kim VO !!??? (cuz Nick was a day trip - Vegas isnt !)

Thanks for letting me dish a little --

Lisa