bad for your band

I just wanted to see if we could get a list going of things that are bad for your band. I know a few....but am so paranoid about hurting my band!!! So lets here what you all know is bad for our "new best friends" hahaha

Soda pop

Alcohol

These are the ones I know were told. Six month no pop our paperwork denotes but I've read that you can kiss pop goodbye as it will always not be a good choice for the bandster.

Hanna

Soda pop

Alcohol

These are the ones I know were told. Six month no pop our paperwork denotes but I've read that you can kiss pop goodbye as it will always not be a good choice for the bandster.

Hanna

No soda????????? I drink 6 - 8 diet coke's a day - I know a total addict. What happens if you drink one?

celery

rhubarb

soft breads

tortilla

pasta

sticky rice

No soda????????? I drink 6 - 8 diet coke's a day - I know a total addict. What happens if you drink one?

Hon, I am sorry but you are going to have to cut that down. The only way Dr. Miranda "allows" drinking sodas is if you let them set out a while and let the fizz dissolve. In other words a flat soda. :lb20: But maybe you can find something just as satisfying!! Sorry.

Hon, I am sorry but you are going to have to cut that down. The only way Dr. Miranda "allows" drinking sodas is if you let them set out a while and let the fizz dissolve. In other words a flat soda. :lb20: But maybe you can find something just as satisfying!! Sorry.

Wow , this will be life altering! i better start now, or I will never survive

Wow , this will be life altering! i better start now, or I will never survive

But you can do it!!!!!!! Once you have the band it's amazing how much will power you gain with it!!!

Don't worry sweetie. Just like Blazn said after your band you are totally surprised at what you can do. I too was a total addict like you (I would go to Sonic at least once or twice a day for a 44 oz Diet Coke....every day.) But I am about to hit a month out and I have had NO craving, headaches, going to die feeling. I truly think after hearing the post op guidelines from Dr. Miranda herself you start thinking about things differently. I was really worried about not having my soda but I have replaced it with tea and protein water and crystal light and haven't missed it. You can do it.... you will be so proud of yourself.

I am with you Jacqui1...and I learned alot about myself when I had the flu last week and wicked gas pains, I could not drink anything carbonated. I drank cranberry juice and water...and amazingly did not miss the diet coke at all...mind you now that I am feeling better I am drinking it again, but now I know I can do without it...if I have an uncontrollable craving, I will flatten it or swish and spit. LOL!!! It's the carbonation that stretches the band.

As the other ladies have said, you will be surprised what willpower you will have to do the right thing!!

Take care Cathy

Hi! I am new the the forum and will post my introduction later this evening.

I just wanted to talk about the soda. I actually post-poned making my decision to have the surgery for over a year because I heard that the fizz from Diet Coke would be a problem. Dt. Coke was practically my best friend! I probably drank a 12 pack a day... but I never counted because I didn't want to know how bad it was!

On January 1st this year, I started thinking about my goals for the year, and decided that it is time to do something about this weight I've been fighting for 20 years. And I knew if I didn't conquer the Dt. Coke, I would be stuck. BUT, I didn't want to make a New Year's Resolution since so many of those are destined to fail. I started "lurking" on this forum, reading all the posts and getting inspired by all of you guys! You folks are so inspirational and supportive of each other!!!!

On Leap Day I decided it was time to give up my security blanket called Diet Coke! What better use of an extra day than to make a change! I bought cases of water and probably $50 worth of Crystal Lite flavor packs and $20 worth of spicy gum! The first couple of weeks was tough. I was drinking at least 12 bottles of flavored water a day and still had a feeling like something was missing -- the fizz! Slowly I started drinking one "clear" water in between each flavored water until now I drink mostly clear water with just 2 or 3 flavor packs a day. (They do have a Crystal Lite Focus with 40 mg of caffiene if you need one of those a day to ween off the caffiene from soda!)

I had the most surreal experience exactly one month after I gave up soda. It was an overcast, drizzly morning after a night of hard rains. The endless supply of Pop Tarts at my house finally ran out (and will never be replaced), but I was hungry and knew I had a marathon of meetings planned for the day. I pulled into the Publix on the way to work and was one of only 4 or 5 cars in the wet parking lot. I ran in and found a Bolthouse Perfectly Protein drink thinking it was time to try a protein replacement. I ran out to the car with my little bag. As I was sitting in the car, shaking up my shake, a man passed in front of the car and waved. He didn't smile -- in fact he looked pretty sad. I thought, "Maybe he thought he knew me and then realized he didn't so I got a wave and an "oops" frown." I waved back. He shuffled through the raindrops and jumped into a white car. As he pulled out of the parking lot and passed in front of me, I saw the big red COKE logo painted on his car. It was the Coca-Cola sales rep for my Publix. Frowning, waving, and driving away in the rain! I guess he missed me! I waved again, and I swear to goodness, I shed a tear as I said good-bye to my friend Dt. Coke for good!

So today -- 2 months of soda-free, I scheduled my Lap Band Surgery with Dr. Ortiz for May 30! Yeah!!!! One month of pre-op diet and now I know I have the will power to make life long changes!

So...very long story short, if I can give up soda, I know you can do it!!!! Start making changes today! You can do it!

~Tanya in Nashville

275/275/195 Highest/Current/Goal

Wow, you are an inspiration. =D> Thank you so much for taking the time to write that. I am a huge diet coke drinker as well. I am starting my pre-op on Weds., and will be giving up my diet coke. I will be giving up everything. And I know that I will feel so much better. I am looking forward to being banded on May 15th, and meeting alot of the other bandsters on the forum. I know alot will be looking forward to meeting you as well on the 30th. Good Luck! Anita

I am three days diet coke free. That is since Saturday when I went on my preop diet and I actually haven't missed it. I have been drinking water with a little gaterade flavor pack in it for variety and protein water (I like the sweetened tea flavor).

Blessings!

Diet soda is dangerous

A study of about 6,000 middle-aged men and women, who were observed over four years, at the Boston University School of Medicine showed that those who drank one or more soft drinks a day had a 31 percent greater risk of becoming obese. They had a 30 percent increased risk of developing a larger waist circumference, "which has been shown to predict heart disease risk better than weight alone"; a 25 percent increased risk of developing high blood triglycerides as well as high blood sugar; and a 32 percent higher risk of having low high-density lipoprotein or "good" cholesterol levels. The researchers then analyzed a smaller sample of participants on whom data on regular and diet soft drink consumption was available. Those who drank one or more diet or regular sodas per day had a 50 to 60 percent increased risk of developing metabolic syndrome, a syndrome marked by the presence of usually three or more of a group of factors, such as high blood pressure, abdominal obesity, high triglyceride levels, low HDL levels, and insulin resistance, that are linked to the increased risk of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes.

R.S. Vasan, MD, professor of medicine, Boston University School of Medicine.

R. Dhingra. Circulation, July 31, 2007: vol 116: pp 1–9.

What it really means. That diet soda is going to the mat. While it's still a relatively small-scale study (since diet soda is consumed by billions), it's plenty large enough to loft some serious bombs into the "zero calories is all you need to know" theory of fake-sugar marketing. There is no good reason why anyone should drink diet soda anymore. It doesn't taste as good as regular soda, has no nutritional value, has at least some health risk, and probably even makes you fat.

Cassie drinks Mountain Dew. It was funny because when we came to Shoot the Ophra Show they had this huge buffet of fabulous food and sodas. Rene asked Cassie what she wanted to drink and Cassie said calmly "Mountain Dew" The look on Rene's face was priceless. YOu drink soda " Rene replied. Then all of a sudden Cassie and I had this flash back 4 years ago of Dr. Ortiz " No Soda'ssssssssssss.. LOL

I SWEAR diet coke is addicting! If I have one, I can't stop. But, as long as I don't ever start one, I am fine.

As for the foods we aren't supposed to have, Dr. Miranda told me pineapple and asparagus because they are very fibrous and do not go down well. But, I haven't tried it.

But then again, I haven't had my first fill yet so I can eat anything!

thanks everyone! Yeah diet coke was hard for me to give up too- i would drink about 4 or 5 a day and not think twice. No i drink water, crystal light and propel. I dont miss it- but I do miss beer. Now if i do drink i have vodka, water with a splash of cranberry juice-its actually pretty good. I dont think I will go back to diet coke- or any soda for that matter- but I will have an occasional beer once in a while!

I appreciate everyone's comments- I am just a worrier by nature! haha

Hi! I am new the the forum and will post my introduction later this evening.

I just wanted to talk about the soda. I actually post-poned making my decision to have the surgery for over a year because I heard that the fizz from Diet Coke would be a problem. Dt. Coke was practically my best friend! I probably drank a 12 pack a day... but I never counted because I didn't want to know how bad it was!

On January 1st this year, I started thinking about my goals for the year, and decided that it is time to do something about this weight I've been fighting for 20 years. And I knew if I didn't conquer the Dt. Coke, I would be stuck. BUT, I didn't want to make a New Year's Resolution since so many of those are destined to fail. I started "lurking" on this forum, reading all the posts and getting inspired by all of you guys! You folks are so inspirational and supportive of each other!!!!

On Leap Day I decided it was time to give up my security blanket called Diet Coke! What better use of an extra day than to make a change! I bought cases of water and probably $50 worth of Crystal Lite flavor packs and $20 worth of spicy gum! The first couple of weeks was tough. I was drinking at least 12 bottles of flavored water a day and still had a feeling like something was missing -- the fizz! Slowly I started drinking one "clear" water in between each flavored water until now I drink mostly clear water with just 2 or 3 flavor packs a day. (They do have a Crystal Lite Focus with 40 mg of caffiene if you need one of those a day to ween off the caffiene from soda!)

I had the most surreal experience exactly one month after I gave up soda. It was an overcast, drizzly morning after a night of hard rains. The endless supply of Pop Tarts at my house finally ran out (and will never be replaced), but I was hungry and knew I had a marathon of meetings planned for the day. I pulled into the Publix on the way to work and was one of only 4 or 5 cars in the wet parking lot. I ran in and found a Bolthouse Perfectly Protein drink thinking it was time to try a protein replacement. I ran out to the car with my little bag. As I was sitting in the car, shaking up my shake, a man passed in front of the car and waved. He didn't smile -- in fact he looked pretty sad. I thought, "Maybe he thought he knew me and then realized he didn't so I got a wave and an "oops" frown." I waved back. He shuffled through the raindrops and jumped into a white car. As he pulled out of the parking lot and passed in front of me, I saw the big red COKE logo painted on his car. It was the Coca-Cola sales rep for my Publix. Frowning, waving, and driving away in the rain! I guess he missed me! I waved again, and I swear to goodness, I shed a tear as I said good-bye to my friend Dt. Coke for good!

So today -- 2 months of soda-free, I scheduled my Lap Band Surgery with Dr. Ortiz for May 30! Yeah!!!! One month of pre-op diet and now I know I have the will power to make life long changes!

So...very long story short, if I can give up soda, I know you can do it!!!! Start making changes today! You can do it!

~Tanya in Nashville

275/275/195 Highest/Current/Goal

Thanks for the encouragement. Today is my first day of cutting back. It is noon and I have only had one. I get one this afternoon, and then tomorrow only one until surgery day = May 7th. Congratulations on making the decision for your surgery!