6 days post op and this is how i feel

i was band 5/01 and still have gas pain, but much better than before.how long did you have gas?

I am drinkin liquids and are slowely going down. does this get better with time? I belive it might just be the swelling around the band area. I am very parnoid that my band is too tight and i wont be able to eat at all later on.

I also have very light pain when i take deep breaths where my stomach is. not sure if it is the incision pain on my abs or its my band. My stomach is still swollen especially where the port is, how long does it take for that swelling to go down.

you input will really help me

Hello there~ I was banded on 4/29 so 2 days before you. My stomach is still pretty swollen and my port site is even more swollen and still painful. My gas pains have alomost totally gone away now. I have been to work for 3 days and Im doing pretty well. I too have that little pulling feeling inside when I move around but its not painful. I think everything youre feeling is normal. Did you take phazyme for your gas. It worked so well for me. I hope a all is well. Have a great day!

bigmanny, I know it is hard at first and you wonder if you did the right thing...especially when the gas pain starts. But I can tell you it does get better and it is so worth the discomfort you are dealing with. It took me almost 3 weeks for me not to feel the bloated, swollen feeling but once it was gone I feel awesome. Take the phayzme walk walk walk and keep up the fluid intake. We are all here for you so please keep us posted. Best of Luck, Lora

i was band 5/01 and still have gas pain, but much better than before.how long did you have gas?

I am drinkin liquids and are slowely going down. does this get better with time? I belive it might just be the swelling around the band area. I am very parnoid that my band is too tight and i wont be able to eat at all later on.

I also have very light pain when i take deep breaths where my stomach is. not sure if it is the incision pain on my abs or its my band. My stomach is still swollen especially where the port is, how long does it take for that swelling to go down.

I had gas pains for about 2 weeks. Another bandster pointed out that what we think is gas pains may be pain from our bands healing. I noticed when I was first banded that if I drank cold drinks, it seemed to make my shoulder and collar bone area hurt. When I drank warm or hot stuff, it didn't bother me as much. I stuck to drinking room temp water instaed of ice or refrig water. Everyone's different, it might help though. There are other bandsters that had what seemed like extra swelling and had trouble drinking. Make sure that you're getting enough fluids, don't let yourself get dehydrated! Call or email the OCC, they are quick to answer. I was also concerned with the pain around my port area [i emailed Dr. O about it] it felt like a tugging pain from the inside. He said that it was normal during the healing process, but I was to watch for redness and swelling around the port area [signs of infection] Mine stopped hurting slowly over the next few days. I've been banded since 3-25 and my port area is still a little tender, but I think it's stitched to your muscle so I'm sure it'll take awhile to heal completely. Hope that helped, best wishes, Darlene

1125197to22w4nh4x.jpg

There are Gas X Strips that you can take and they will help.

Fortunately I had no gas pains but once in a while I had gas (toot toot). Luckily no one was around.

I did have some pain when I would breathe in deep. It felt like I had bronchitis or something but nothing that was unbearable.

I had pain from my incisions and it hurt usually when I would get up out of bed or turn over. I had this type of pain for about two weeks. It was three weeks before I could go over a speed bump without causing myself pain.

My port site is still tender and swollen. It's also hard and is sticking out. I'm sure if I bumped into something on accident, I'd scream out with pain!

Hey Manny this is Lorrie I was band with you at OCC. I am really sorry to hear your not doing to well. I never got any of the gas pain but I get the pain when I move around to much especially around the port site. I unfortanately don't have any problems taking in liquids so I have been drinking to much . Please keep me updated on your progress.

Lorrie

I had gas pains from Day 5 thru Day 12 I think. I was banded in April 08. The gas pains were terrible - very painful because they were stuck and never came out. I spent a couple sleepless nights, or nights on the couch in an upward position.

Walking was supposed to help - but again, while the gas is "stuck", I found it hard to breathe, and my shoulders really hurt.

Best advice I can give you is Gas-X strips. Take them after every time you take something - drinking water, a popsicle, anything. That did help me alot. I waited until the pain was bad - taking before it became painful did work - I just found out several days too late!

Be careful on what you drink or how you drink your liquids. Try to take in the least amount of air as possbile.

People warned me about having gas - and I thought they meant I would burp and fart alot - no biggie. I actually had trapped gas, which causes great pains.

I feel for you. It seems like the opposite, but don't be afraid to lay down if you're uncomfortable. My body finally adjusted and I would just do a lot of burping in the morning. And don't be afraid of bloating - that comes with the territory. That should all go away for you by the end of the 2nd week pre-op I hope. At least it did for me.

And I also mistook my gas pains for hunger pains. I had half a milkshake one day and my "pains" went away for 4-5 blissful hours!!

Good luck - I feel for ya ><'

I was banded April 29 and I still have terrible gas pain too. I had read about it on the forum but I was truly unprepared for how painful it would be. For most people the best thing is to walk it off but for me the only that helps is to lie very still on my left side, when I do this is starts to ease up immediately. The gasx made it worse as it seemed to keep it trapped so now I try relaxing in a warm bath or just lying down for a little while. I hope you feel better soon, in the long run it will all be worth and we won't even care about a few weeks of pain.

Well hello bigmanny and dimples!!!!! This is Teri, I was banded with you guys on the 1st... Dont feel bad about the pain you are in, as I am in the same boat! Sometimes I feel nothing and others I feel like water is boxing its way down! I have tried the gas-x strips and go so-so relief and then I tried phazyme and it really worked better. I have horrible neck/shoulder pain and once I do the phazyme it goes away. I have been really eating a lot of cream of potato soup and learned that if it is too thick I feeeeeeel it going down. You do realize that it has only been a week since we had this done sooooooo. Some people take a bit longer to heal. Also, have you ever had a cut in your mouth? notice how it takes so much longer to heal? its because of saliva and stuff passing it all the time, cuts are to be kept clean and dry to heal at maximum speed, good luck on keeping a stomach clean and dry :wacko: Remember, you and I are going to drop our "hundred" by the end of September :rolleyes: e me if you want to chat!!! petnannyaz@cox.net Teri

I had pains in my shoulder for about 4 weeks. And now that I have had my fill it still hurts occasionally. I honestly believe it is from the damage to the crus of the diaphragm (which I read from a research article). And yes - the swelling will go down by the end of week 2 and you will be able to eat. The pain from the incisions should also get better with time. But keep us posted.