Being so far away from OCC

Okay.. so I have recently found out that the only Dr. here in Vancouver, BC that was willing to do fills for patients that have had surgery in Mexico, has decided not to do it anymore. He's not taking new patients. So, I have now have only two choices. Dr. Ortiz, in which could get quite costly, and which I hadn't planned on the added expense, let alone, having to take more time off work, and who is so far away, should I need something immediately, and the Arlington Pharmacy, which is approx. 2 hrs drive from my home. What to do??? I'm starting to get paranoid now, after I was feeling so good, and confident. Are any of you in the same predicament, and what are your thoughts?

I'm sure I've read in other fourms that Dr Woodhead does Ortiz patients. I'm from Calgary and was researching alot of Dr's before I chose Dr Ortiz

Hi

When did you get banded and who is doing your fills now. Are you going to go back or see Dr Descateaux here in Calgary. He was lovely when he did my 2nd fill, I went back to OCC for the first.

Nicolek

Hi!!!!

Nope not banded yet, May 29th. I am going to see Dr Descateaux for fills. I am sooo glad there are Dr's here that have no problems doing Mexico patients. Did you have any problems getting in? I'm wondering if I should make an appt with him prior to leaving?

It's sooo nice to meet a fellow Calgarian!!

Heather

Hi

When did you get banded and who is doing your fills now. Are you going to go back or see Dr Descateaux here in Calgary. He was lovely when he did my 2nd fill, I went back to OCC for the first.

Nicolek

Just before I booked my surgery, around the 2nd to last week of April, I talked to the receptionist of Dr. Woodhead, and she told me he was doing fills, but didn't know for how much longer. She took down my name as I had told her that I would need him for my fills, and I would call her after I booked my surgery. When I called last Monday, she said sorry.. as of May 1st, he's not taking any more patients. I was crushed! I just don't know how urgent it is to have a dr. right in the immediate area? I haven't heard of too many emergencies on here. I think it's just if I need an "unfill", I will have to make an extra trip somewhere.

Can they recommend anyone to you?....I'd ask their office if you got your fills elsewhere if there were ever a reson and you NEEDED a unfill would they do it for you? For emergency cases only. I wonder if they would do that for you? For fills you could go to the US.

Just before I booked my surgery, around the 2nd to last week of April, I talked to the receptionist of Dr. Woodhead, and she told me he was doing fills, but didn't know for how much longer. She took down my name as I had told her that I would need him for my fills, and I would call her after I booked my surgery. When I called last Monday, she said sorry.. as of May 1st, he's not taking any more patients. I was crushed! I just don't know how urgent it is to have a dr. right in the immediate area? I haven't heard of too many emergencies on here. I think it's just if I need an "unfill", I will have to make an extra trip somewhere.

I go out to Olympia which is over an hour and a half from my home. I've never yet had an emergency which I have to move fast to get to a Dr.

Normally from everything I've heard you do have time - you just need to keep yourself hydrated if your band slips. It’s normally not something that requires immediate care, and you should have time. (An unfill is the same, you just need to get somewhere fast, but it’s not dior) Talk to someone at the office - I'm sure they can help. Most of us are a ways from our fill doctors and the clinic as well.

Best,

Lisa

I did ask if she could recommend someone, and she said that there were no more dr's in BC that would do it. Dr. Woodhead was the only one that was doing it. Lisa.. how long after a fill does it take to know if you need an unfill? Is it like hours, days or ???

The nurses at Arlington Pharmacy are wonderful, I had them do it when they traveled to Port Orchard and really was happy with the results and the information I got from them. I will use them in the future when I can't make it to TJ.

I had the same situation Allcdngirl. I am in Kelowna and Dr. Woodhead's receptionist wouldn't let me book until I had the surgery. When I phoned her back early May to make the appt she said he wasn't doing it anymore. I made a fuss about it and was close to begging and she said that if I had the paperwork she would talk to the Dr. about an exception and then he decided to accept me as a patient. I wish I had blank paperwork to send you but my is all filled out already. There was another BC'er that had blank paperwork for Dr. Woodhead. Maybe you can get a copy and then you have a better chance getting in with him. I'll try and find the thread where this was discussed.

Oh wait. That was you looking for the paperwork in the other thread. I guess it didn't work out with you getting paperwork from 'theredhead'. Sorry. I have heard from others that the Dr. in Calgary is really good and I know of someone in Grand Prairie that gets it done at the hospital there (not sure how that works). Good luck and I'll post right away if I hear anything else.

I live in Olympia, where there is a doctor who does fluoro fills, but I'm choosing to go back to OCC for my first fill. After that, we'll just have to wait and see. With all the fuel surcharges on airline tickets coming up, I may go here for 375 with fluoro, or make the drive to Arlington for 125-150. They only use fluoro though in Arlington to find the port, not to measure liquid going thru. I've heard alot of good things about both. Check them out on the web - they are great about emailing back too.

There is rarely a time when you need an urgent doctor for your band - and even then, OCC asks you have your doctor call them. Some doctors unfamiliar with bands can make mistakes - like take it out! My doctor at Group Health said he would treat me for anything - obviously, life or death.

Make sure you tell your regular doctor you have the band and says as much in your file.

Well I filled out the "Health" forms I got from RedHead and mailed it today with a cheque for $400. That's what the first appt fee is, and then $75 for each one after. I'll see what they say. If they say "sorry", then I'll go down to Arlington.

calicat, if the doctor you are thinking of going to in Olypia is Dr. Neil, (Pacific Surgical Weight Loss Center) that's who I've been going to and they are great. Never had a problem. You are in really good hands with them. I have to drive over an hour and a half to get to them and its worth it.

(I also did my first fill in at the OCC).

I live in Olympia, where there is a doctor who does fluoro fills, but I'm choosing to go back to OCC for my first fill. After that, we'll just have to wait and see. With all the fuel surcharges on airline tickets coming up, I may go here for 375 with fluoro, or make the drive to Arlington for 125-150. They only use fluoro though in Arlington to find the port, not to measure liquid going thru. I've heard alot of good things about both. Check them out on the web - they are great about emailing back too.

There is rarely a time when you need an urgent doctor for your band - and even then, OCC asks you have your doctor call them. Some doctors unfamiliar with bands can make mistakes - like take it out! My doctor at Group Health said he would treat me for anything - obviously, life or death.

Make sure you tell your regular doctor you have the band and says as much in your file.

is there any doc's in south missouri for fill or unfill,fluoro fills