I am coming to Mexico for surgery ( my port flipped). I heard it is alot cheaper to use the trolley instead of paying the $130 for OCC to pick us up and return us. I looked up the trolly and it is so much cheaper, but soooo confusing. Can anyone help me out. I will need to go from the air port to the mexican border, then from the mexican border to the Ramada Plaza on2151 Hotel Circle South.

Tanya

Here are the best directions I have seen:

I decided to take the bus (#992) from the airport and the Trolley (blue line so San Ysirdo) and it was an absolute breeze. The cost was $2.50 exact change from the airport for the bus. And it was .25cents more for the trolley but I couldn't figure out how to add that so i didn't and they don't check on the trolley. Although I did hear a trolley person can come around and ask to see your pass but I fugured they wouldn't throw me off.

So you hop on the bus at the city bus station right outside the airport - if you are confused they have transportation folks in blue vests all over the place. The bus comes about every 6 minutes so the wait isn't long. You need exact change and ask for a transfer and you get off at Broadway and Kettner which is the AMERICAN FLYER STATION (PIECE of cake). Bus driver will help if you ask.

Get off at american flyer and wait for the blue line (do not go by color of train they all seem red) and stand on the side of the track that says blue line - anyway, get on and go to the end of the line to san ysirdo (not sure of spelling cuz I don't have directions in front of me) It is about a 30 minute comfortable air conditioned ride and it stops at the end and you can tell its the border etc. again PIECE OF CAKE.

get off and walk across the border.

Yellow taxi sign (HUGE) is staring you in the face and you will be approached by many taxi drivers - have the address of the hotel or clinic clearly written down and ask - Cuanto dinero (how much) - they will say cinco or five dollars - wave it in their face, repeat it and say si (YES). simple simple.

i loved it and it saved me about 120 from the office transportation which is great and convenient but expensive. Allow 1.5 hours . Also I walked across the border coming back and it took .20 minutes - much faster than driving across.

This post was from 2006 and from the SD Transportation website: http://www.sdcommute.com it looks like the rates have gone up but you can but a 2 day unlimited pass for $9, check that site for updated info.

Thank you so much Michelle for your help with directions. I thought the $130 was a bit much for transportation, although I understand it is difficult going across the border for them. I'm taking my 3 kids with me, so sounds like it will be quite an experience for all of us. Again........thanks a million.

So I take it the transportation on the trolly was just as easy as coming as going back to san diego?

Tanya

Michelle, Do you know if there is a parking lot that we can park our car at and walk across the border to the taxi's? Also are any of the taxi's red n white?? Thanks Darlin, Lora