17 and getting banded

Hey im destinie and im 17 :-h . i've got my first aapt with my doctor on June 8! im very excited but also very nervouse about what she has to say. i've been overweight all of my life. i've played sports and been active but that just doesn't seem to work. i've done everything from weight watchers to starving myself! and none of it works, atleast not for me. i just can't seem to keep the weight off. if i get it off at all. Im going to be a senior next year and i really want it to be amazing, i didnt go to my prom ths year because it was too hard for me to find a dress that fit me. and im not skipping my prom next year. I just want some feedback, any at all. Good or Bad. I want to get banded over my summer break this year, and that is rapidly approaching. <_<

Hi Destinie,

I am much older then you (I'm 34) but I know exactly how you feel, I think all of us do. I know how it feels to have to shop at the "special stores" because nothing at the GAP fits. I also know how it feels when all of your friends are skinny and you're the heavy one. I lost 115 pounds a year ago doing Weight Watchers and gained almost all of it back. That was my breaking point, where I decided not to struggle with this anymore. I do not want to waste another year feeling bad about myself, refusing to socialize because I am worried about what all the skinny people think of me or because I don't have the right clothing. I don't want to spend another year dying. That is what helped me make my decision. And that is my point, you are the ONLY one who can decide if this is right for you. It is a very serious decision to make because it is life changing.

If you do decide to go through with the procedure, do your homework...meaning really know all the details about who does the surgery and what is involved. I did my research and decided on OCC and Dr. Ortiz, but again, you have to do what is right for you. I wish you the best of luck!! If I could go back to the age I was when my weight started having an effect on my life (age 20), I would have the surgery because I wouldn't want to waste any time feeling how it feels when you are the elephant in the room!!

Hi Destinie,

I am much older then you (I'm 34) but I know exactly how you feel, I think all of us do. I know how it feels to have to shop at the "special stores" because nothing at the GAP fits. I also know how it feels when all of your friends are skinny and you're the heavy one. I lost 115 pounds a year ago doing Weight Watchers and gained almost all of it back. That was my breaking point, where I decided not to struggle with this anymore. I do not want to waste another year feeling bad about myself, refusing to socialize because I am worried about what all the skinny people think of me or because I don't have the right clothing. I don't want to spend another year dying. That is what helped me make my decision. And that is my point, you are the ONLY one who can decide if this is right for you. It is a very serious decision to make because it is life changing.

If you do decide to go through with the procedure, do your homework...meaning really know all the details about who does the surgery and what is involved. I did my research and decided on OCC and Dr. Ortiz, but again, you have to do what is right for you. I wish you the best of luck!! If I could go back to the age I was when my weight started having an effect on my life (age 20), I would have the surgery because I wouldn't want to waste any time feeling how it feels when you are the elephant in the room!!

Hi Destinie,

Wow !!! Your life is going to change so much. Stay on the message board for any help you need. There are great people on here. Also for many young teens it is harder mentally because this is a change and this is hard work. I know you can do it. It sounds like you are ready. I like where JME says ONLY one can decide. When we where on the Orpah show and Dr. Oz said Cassie was too young to make that decision, she really wasn't. She could of said I just want to wait, or No I don't want the surgery. At 13 you still have a voice.

Total Honesty, Adults have been through the YOYO weight issues a lot longer then teens so mentally they are truly ready for their journey. If you are a strong person you will go through this a lot more easier then those who are not ready and more emotionally dependant on others. Your strength for this must come first from yourself and then support from family and the forum. It is a life change. You eat to live not live to eat. Remember that !! Also everyone is different when going through surgery. Like breast implants, nose jobs, everyone has a different tollerance and a healing time.

Also, enjoy all the comments and glory coming your way. You will deserve it ! People will sometimes think (the skinny people) it is the easy way out but you tell them to loose 10 pounds and see if they can do it. No one realizes how hard it is to diet. If your mom needs any help please call me. Send a message to my inbox and I will send you my phone number. Your family will need support as well. Cassie has been a sucess since 2004 of March. She is wrapping up school right now and has not been on the forum as much. So if you need anything drop me a line and I can get it to Cassie or I can try to help.

Take Care,

Heyy,

Thank both of you so much for your advise and support. I have made up my mind and i am getting this done! Im sick of being big! i watched my dad die of being over weight, and it was not a fun journey! Im getting my surgery done at St. Vincents in Jacksonville,Florida. from what i can tell by all of the research i have done, he is a very good doctor! My insurance covers my surgery as long as i see a nutritionist every month or so. and i have to get a psyciatric evaluation done before and after the surgery! I was told because having this surgery done makes sucha drastic change, im not sure if that is true but thats what i've herd. Im very excited about having this done, and about being able to stun some people who have really hurt me over the years! and the saying was..you eat to live, not live to eat? Did knowing that helop either of you through out your journey? B)

Destinie, First of all let me say how proud I am of you. I have only been banded for 2 months and my only regret is not having it done sooner. I have been overweigh most of my life. I did lose weight in highschool from diet pills but only gained it back plus some. I live in South Georgia so we are not too far apart. We are here if you need anything or have any questions. This can be a scary journey but you will see that all is good and you are on your way to a healthier and happier Destinie!!

I am so sick of being big!!!! i had the worst day yesterday!!! Family is supposed to life you up? Not mine!! All my step dad can do is critisize me, he says i need to loose 50 lbs before i can have the surgery done, if i could loose 50 lbs i wouldn't need to have the surgery done!!!! :(( I think the only people who support me are my mom and 3 people i don't even really know! how sad is that? im so glad i have ya'll for support! My dr.s appt is getting closer and closer!!! yay!!! im so excited! What does the Dr usually tell yolu on your first appt.?????

Destinie,

It is so good to see you taking control of your life. Don't let other people get you down. Hope things go well with your Dr. and that you can be a success story. Hopefully this will be a new start to an exciting new life for you. I wish that I had that option when I was young.

Thanks!!!!

Congrts on the wieght lost!

im very excited to be taking this step in my life! KI don't want to have to go through what my dad went through. So far no one thast i've talked to has regreted the decision they made to have the lap band done! And that is a big relif for me! My aunt had the gastric bypass done when it first was introduced to the community, and he has gained all her weight back plus 120 lbs! That is not an option for me! the lap band seems like a reasonable solution to my weght problem. Being that i've tried everything else humanly possible, literally everythng! like i said im very excited about my decision, im going to be a senior this up coming school year and i want it to be amazing! I want to feel amazing, i wna to be able to go to prom, without hunting across the freaking country looking in "special stores" for a dress. UGH im just so excited about everything, and alot nervoius!

Im a singer, and i've taken voice lessons for about 5 yrs, and it is getting harder and harder for me to hold notes! i dont want to loose singing, its my passion! Im actually planning on trying out for American Idol, not this upcoming season, but the folllowing! ><'

Destinie,

Hurray for you and your decision! I am a huge Idol Fan and look forward to seeing you audition and get a "golden ticket". I have 4 teens your age in my home now and applaud you for taking control of your life. BTW I am rooting for David Archulleta--love his innocence and sweetness.

Yeah, my girls are all gaa-gaa over David A! LOL! Hope he wins, we will know tonight!

AHHH i can't believe it!!! He lost! :angry: There is no way that he could of lost, well obviouly there is becasue he did, but OMG hge lost! i was so madd!!!!!! It was absolutly rediculious and i demand a recount of votes! ok now on to the rest of my horribloe day! My mom had decided, at the request of my step father (gag me) the i loose 15 lbs before i can have the surgery done. Which means that im going to have top postpone my appt! Which is completely upsetting! Have any advice about how to get the weight off efficently?? if i work really hard i may be able to get it off be my appt. but im not sure yet. PLEASE HELP ME! it is crucial that i loose this weight! Im starting tibo today but idk what else i can do! PLEASE GIVE ME SOME TIPS!!!! :lb12:

We all do a pre-op diet before surgery to lose some weight and it consists of drinking slim fast shakes for breakfast and lunch and then having a lean cuisine for dinner and green (only green) salad with just the spray dressing on it. Lots of water, no soda's! There are probably more posts on pre-op diet, so I would do a search on the forum. Mama Michelle is really a great source of information also.....she always finds stuff!

I am not too upset about David A losing, he will still have a wonderful career ahead of him only without the "Idol" title. I look forward to seeing him signed for a record deal and he will probably have a CD out before Cook does! All the other second places have done fabulous. He has so much appeal we will see him all over for a long time.

Well you have quite the motivation to lose the 15 pounds, you can do it, but it will be very hard. Do you do exercise at all? I don't know what your starting weight is, but it would be a good idea to see a Dr. and get a starting weight and they can advise you on how much you will have to lose for the surgery anyways.

Ok, thank you. I'll have to go today and buy some slim fast and lean quisine. And no i don't really exercise, even though i know i should! But like i said im going to start ti-bo today also. it's really hard for me to work out because i loose my breath so quickly ya know? but i know im going to have to stay stead fast and keep to my guns so to speak. I am very determined, and like i told my mom last night, i have made up my mind, i am going to have this surgery done, Its something i've always wanted "( to loose weight) and this seems to be the perfect way to do it. Again thank you for the diet info, hopefully it'll do the trick and i'll be able to loose the 15 lbs, it seems sooo far away but then again its alot closer than the 50 lbs my step father had orginally suggested! i told him if i could of lost 50 lbs don't you think i would of done it by now, and if i could loose that much i wouldn't need the surgery. my mom siad 25 and i talked her down to 15 and we agreed that that was a resonable number. Although i don't think i should have to loose it at all, since the Dr. is going to make me loose more than that. But what can i do? Nothing! i can deal with it though. I'll just be working my butt off along the way lol (which is a good thing) anything else i should know about the pre-op diet or anything else for that matter?

Destinie,

Just keep track of your weights and dates and give that to the Dr. when you get to go, that way they will use that which you have already lost as your starting point. Don't forget to have someone take some before pictures. I know this will be a tough one, but it will let you see what you need to do and you will want them someday. Me, I can't handle the impact of Te-bo, so I do water aerobics several times a week and I love it. I also walk when I can and take stairs, it all helps if only for a little bit at a time, it will get a lot easier. I started out doing 10 minutes of Water aerobics and thought I would die! Now I do 45 minutes at a time and it is like nothing...my skinny kids can't do what I do! I have some special workout CD's that I really enjoy and I make the lifeguards play it in the pool for me to exercise to, but some of the old ladies get mad at me for it. Oh well!

If you have any questions or just need to bounce ideas off of anyone, you can e-mail me at Dontondan@msn.com or go to my Myspace account myspace.com/love_my_pets.

HEy my name is lauren and i am also 17. I was just banded on may 9th and im still on the post op diet. I just wanted to tell you that i too have been heavy all my life and i wanted to have a fantastic senior yr. Since im closer to ur age and i just got banded i thought that if you had any questions or u just wanted a support buddy or sumthing im here.