Body Piercings Questions

I have had mine for a few years now but still I think if i take it out it will heal up :-?

Lilly - you are only in surgery like 45 minutes at the most so maybe afterwards you can hurry and put it back in.

I have a belly ring and a nose ring, does anyone know if they make you take them out for the surgery? I am pretty sure I would have to take the belly ring out but I am not sure about the nose ring...

Thanks for your support!

Hello Lillygirl!! I was asked to remove all piercings. I knew this before hand so I gave my earings and belly piercing to my husband to hold on to. Eventhough the doctors suggested that I leave the belly ring out for a week, I put it back in three days after surgery. I just washed my hands really good and used a fresh paper towel to dry them. I then put the belly ring in. I also soaked the belly ring in rubbing alcohol and then soaked it in hydrogen peroxide prior to insertion. This was so I did not infect any of the area around my tummy. Note: This worked for me because I did not want my hole to close up, but I am not a doctor and everyone is different, so proceede with caution.

Good luck,

Lisa :rolleyes:

I have a belly ring and a nose ring, does anyone know if they make you take them out for the surgery? I am pretty sure I would have to take the belly ring out but I am not sure about the nose ring...

Thanks for your support!

Lillygirl,

There is a real risk for burns if you leave them in. I've even had patients remove clitoral and nipple rings. I would be ready to remove them.

Audrey :lb12: :lb12:

te name='sunnee01' date='May 20 2008, 06:47 PM' post='29034']

Lillygirl,

There is a real risk for burns if you leave them in. I've even had patients remove clitoral and nipple rings. I would be ready to remove them.

:lb18: Sorry but this is true I work in a pre surgical area and I make all my pt take off all jewlery not only for the burn risk but there are other factors such as swelling ,,, a ring can do nerve damage if it gets to tight and if it can not be cut off you could lose a finger or toe for that matter and with piercings when you are groggie(sp)or even under anesth. you won't know to say oowee so peircings can easily get snagged and ripped out so for you saftey it would be wise to remove them... and try to put them back in as soon as possible... :girl_sigh: Crissi

te name='sunnee01' date='May 20 2008, 06:47 PM' post='29034']

Lillygirl,

:lb18: Sorry but this is true I work in a pre surgical area and I make all my pt take off all jewlery not only for the burn risk but there are other factors such as swelling ,,, a ring can do nerve damage if it gets to tight and if it can not be cut off you could lose a finger or toe for that matter and with piercings when you are groggie(sp)or even under anesth. you won't know to say oowee so peircings can easily get snagged and ripped out so for you saftey it would be wise to remove them... and try to put them back in as soon as possible... :girl_sigh: Crissi

Thank you guys soo much for all the responses. I think I have decided I will go ahead and take them out for surgery and I will proceed with caution when I put them back in!

You guys are great! Thanks again! ><'

Yes they will. I had 3 LITTLE earings in my ears that had been in for

like 12 years. I had to take them out and then they were accidentialy thrown away.

It has something to do with if they have to shock you on the table

it can coduct the electricty.

At least that is what they told me when i had my c-section

and i had to take out my "downstairs" piercing.

Don't worry, taking it out for a few hours won't do anything.

just lube it up w/ neosporin when you take it out and put it back in.

Claire

At least that is what they told me when i had my c-section

and i had to take out my "downstairs" piercing.

Don't worry, taking it out for a few hours won't do anything.

just lube it up w/ neosporin when you take it out and put it back in.

Claire

LOL Glad to know I'm not the only one who has to remove that one when having surgery :o

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your support!

I was allowed to keep mine. and my wedding rings because I couldn't get them off...;)

I had a student who removed a nose ring, after having one for a long time. She was in class one day, rared back and let out an ENORMOUS sneeze, but she tried to pinch her nose. When she did, a little mini-geyser was born and she nailed the male student next to her. He jumped so quickly that he fell into the floor. I wish I had it on video.