gained water weight on pre op diet

:lb12: I am scheduled for my band on May 28th. I am afraid they will not let me have the band when I get there on the 27th because I have gained eight pounds of water weight. I have adema problems and they chose right now to hold on to fluids. I have increased my water pills but I am not sure if I will have the eight back down in only a few days. Have any of you had the same issues and did they let you have the band anyway? Thank you in advance for your responses. I gained all that I have lost :(( :(( :((

Beat Water Weight

Your body does an amazing job of correcting fluid imbalances. But poor diet and a sedentary lifestyle can tip the scales toward water retention. We have eleven water log prevention tips that will help you look lean this summer.

Stock Up- Many foods and herbs promote digestion and fluid-shedding: yogurt, fiber-rich cereal, brown rice, cabbage and cranberry juice. Ginger and dandelion have a mild diuretic effect. Both are available in tea so you can brew yourself a slenderizing drink.

Ban Salt- Surplus salt makes the body retain fluids, but you'll need to do more than hide the salt shaker. Steer clear of high sodium foods like hot dogs, olives, salted nuts, pickles and many frozen foods. Be on the lookout for less obvious sources such as soy sauce, ketchup, deli meats and cheese.

Skip the Sugar- Too much sugar can raise insulin levels, decreasing the body's ability to excrete sodium. Avoid high sugar foods, like sweetened cereals, cakes, cookies, ice cream toppings and products containing high-fructose corn syrup, such as soda.

Don't Undereat- Of course a low-cal diet will help you lose weight, but shed too many calories and you could create water retention. Don't eat less than 1,200 calories per day and include lean protein, an important nutrient in short supply in very low-cal diets that helps stave-off water retention.

Move More- Your lymphatic system can't drain excess fluid out of tissues without body movement. Exercise about four times a week to relieve your body of extra fluid and salt through sweating and increased respiration.

Get Dry- Alcohol acts as a diuretic at first, making you lose excess water. But that loss can lead to dehydration, causing the body to preserve its fluids. Opt for virgin cocktails, or dilute that glass of wine with seltzer.

Get Wet- Take a swim. Water pressure forces fluid out of tissues and ultimately, the bladder. To emulate those results, take some of your workouts to the pool.

Fill Up- While it seems contradictory, drinking plenty of plain water -- 8 to 10 glasses per day -- will flush salt and fluid out of your system. A well-hydrated body in less likely to retain water.

Spread It Out- Eat five or six small meals instead of three big meals. Nibbling or drinking at frequent intervals will keep you nourished and hydrated and will help avoid the rush of fluid to the tissues that may occur with eating large infrequent meals.

Choose Natural- Anything packaged-including that can of asparagus that seems so healthy-will give you more sodium than you need. Become a purveyor of the farmer's market. Ditch canned products and flavored packaged grains. Plan meals that include fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains.

Go Bananas- Bananas are a natural source of potassium, a nutrient needed to help the body balance fluids. Not a banana fan? Apricots, avocados and raisins are potassium-rich, too. Strive for 5 grams of potassium daily. Other nutrients to include each day through diet or supplements: 300-400 milligrams of magnesium (food sources include green vegetables, nuts, seeds) and 1000-1200 milligrams of calcium (orange juice, yogurt, tofu). Getting an adequate amount of each can help alleviate bloating.

Beat Water Weight

Your body does an amazing job of correcting fluid imbalances. But poor diet and a sedentary lifestyle can tip the scales toward water retention. We have eleven water log prevention tips that will help you look lean this summer.

Stock Up- Many foods and herbs promote digestion and fluid-shedding: yogurt, fiber-rich cereal, brown rice, cabbage and cranberry juice. Ginger and dandelion have a mild diuretic effect. Both are available in tea so you can brew yourself a slenderizing drink.

Ban Salt- Surplus salt makes the body retain fluids, but you'll need to do more than hide the salt shaker. Steer clear of high sodium foods like hot dogs, olives, salted nuts, pickles and many frozen foods. Be on the lookout for less obvious sources such as soy sauce, ketchup, deli meats and cheese.

Skip the Sugar- Too much sugar can raise insulin levels, decreasing the body's ability to excrete sodium. Avoid high sugar foods, like sweetened cereals, cakes, cookies, ice cream toppings and products containing high-fructose corn syrup, such as soda.

Don't Undereat- Of course a low-cal diet will help you lose weight, but shed too many calories and you could create water retention. Don't eat less than 1,200 calories per day and include lean protein, an important nutrient in short supply in very low-cal diets that helps stave-off water retention.

Move More- Your lymphatic system can't drain excess fluid out of tissues without body movement. Exercise about four times a week to relieve your body of extra fluid and salt through sweating and increased respiration.

Get Dry- Alcohol acts as a diuretic at first, making you lose excess water. But that loss can lead to dehydration, causing the body to preserve its fluids. Opt for virgin cocktails, or dilute that glass of wine with seltzer.

Get Wet- Take a swim. Water pressure forces fluid out of tissues and ultimately, the bladder. To emulate those results, take some of your workouts to the pool.

Fill Up- While it seems contradictory, drinking plenty of plain water -- 8 to 10 glasses per day -- will flush salt and fluid out of your system. A well-hydrated body in less likely to retain water.

Spread It Out- Eat five or six small meals instead of three big meals. Nibbling or drinking at frequent intervals will keep you nourished and hydrated and will help avoid the rush of fluid to the tissues that may occur with eating large infrequent meals.

Choose Natural- Anything packaged-including that can of asparagus that seems so healthy-will give you more sodium than you need. Become a purveyor of the farmer's market. Ditch canned products and flavored packaged grains. Plan meals that include fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains.

Go Bananas- Bananas are a natural source of potassium, a nutrient needed to help the body balance fluids. Not a banana fan? Apricots, avocados and raisins are potassium-rich, too. Strive for 5 grams of potassium daily. Other nutrients to include each day through diet or supplements: 300-400 milligrams of magnesium (food sources include green vegetables, nuts, seeds) and 1000-1200 milligrams of calcium (orange juice, yogurt, tofu). Getting an adequate amount of each can help alleviate bloating.

Thank you for the information. I deal with this issue everyday. I am on many medications to help with this. I was hoping that I would not have this problem a few days prior to my surgery. I can gain up to ten pounds in one day. It takes a bit longer to get rid of it though. I am not giving up, I just hope the long flight to SD does not make it even worse. Sometimes my body just works against me :angry: I appreciate all your help and caring. Do you know have they ever cancel a surgery due to lack of pre op weightloss?