Fill information

I was researching on-line about why little restriction after a first fill. Here's what I found. Does anybody have Dr. Ortiz LapBand book, and can you post what Dr. Ortiz states about this in his book. I have also emailed Dr. Ortiz, and will post his reply. Anita

Give a fill at least 2-3 weeks to test it

Some fills don't "settle in" for a week or two, and sometimes more. Your weight loss is what determines how a fill is - not any feeling of restriction, necessarily.

One of the most important things in determining if a fill is good...

...is choosing proper band foods. Soft foods, liquids, junk foods, sweets, etc. will NEVER be well-restricted and will never tell a thing about having a good fill or not. Only solid foods give useful info. A good test meal is 2-4 oz of solid meat or chicken - be sure it's soft and moist - and about 1/2 cup veggies. You should be able to eat about a cup of food (no less) and this should keep you satisfied, not full, but simply satisfied, not physically hungry for about 3-4 hrs.

Plan regular meals

A good fill will keep you satisfied for 3-4 hours, but no longer. If you are hungry 5 hours after lunch, it is not because you have an inadequate fill. Regular meals at planned times are important for a number of reasons, including avoiding snacking, maximizing calorie burn (which causes weight loss) and normalizing metabolism, which is essential for weight maintenance later on.

Please remember that good fills are very elusive...

...even with highly experienced doctors and fill people. There are just too many individual factors involved that the doctors cannot control. Even the fluoro is only a clue, and not entirely accurate - for some of the reasons above.

SLOW and GRADUAL is the key!

It usually takes 3 to 5 fills to slowly and safely creep up on a good level, and they can be safely given a month apart. Trying to go faster with a bigger fill is not the solution, and the stomach rebels at big sudden fills. The goal of the first few fills is NOT to achieve a good restriction, but to gradually get your stomach used to some pressure so you can tolerate a GOOD fill later. Going slowly with fills can be frustrating but is well worth the wait to avoid problems.

Great INFO Anita.. That makes sooo much sense.. I am sooo excited to be able to have a new life and to change old habits. I literally am craving good for me foods. Even If after I get my 1st fill I don't feel that I have restriction, I still am going to make sure that I eat the right foods and learn my proper portion control!! Thanks!!!

PaulaBee my thoughts are with you as are my hugs and well wishes. One thing that caught my attention regarding your brother and his treats, the next time he brings them and puts them in the freezer just go and throw them out or put them in the fridge so they are no longer good (I know easier said then done and it is money down the drain). Also I like your idea of going back to the table I need to do that as well. Please hang in there. Anita thank you for the info I need to make the time to read Dr. O's book. Have a great day ladies.....SMILES!!!! Lora

You're the bomb Anita - great information. Reminds me that I need to give up soft foods (mashed potatoes), junk foods (chips), etc.

Going to test it today - chicken, carrots and sugar snap peas... after my weekend from hell ;)

I SLOW and GRADUAL is the key!

It usually takes 3 to 5 fills to slowly and safely creep up on a good level, and they can be safely given a month apart. Trying to go faster with a bigger fill is not the solution, and the stomach rebels at big sudden fills. The goal of the first few fills is NOT to achieve a good restriction, but to gradually get your stomach used to some pressure so you can tolerate a GOOD fill later. Going slowly with fills can be frustrating but is well worth the wait to avoid problems.

Thanks Anita ><' for the great information !

That is exactly what Darlene (the NP who does the fills in Roswell GA) told me last Saturday on my first fill ;)