Banded May 26th-Diarrea??

I know Diarrea is not spelled correctly (hee hee) and sorry so gross of a topic. I was banded on May 26th and so far I feel really well. I have lost 10 pounds and have MADE myself stay hydrated. I do have diarreah though. Not always but at least once a day. Is this normal??/

Hi,

I was banded on the 27th and I have had that problem off and on. If you are drinking juices it can do that to you. Make sure you are mixing half water half juice. I wouldn't worry about it unless you can not keep anything in. As long as you are hydrated you will be ok.

10lb loss is great I'm down about 5 lbs. Feeling pretty good and not too hungry although there is some discomfort on my left side but that's expected.

Take care

Thanks Sue! I actually was looking out for you on the 27th but I really do not have alot of memory after my surgery. It is very weird, things have started coming back to me and I have had to asks my sister if it really happened or did I dream things. Very strange feeling! :rolleyes:

I know Diarrea is not spelled correctly (hee hee) and sorry so gross of a topic. I was banded on May 26th and so far I feel really well. I have lost 10 pounds and have MADE myself stay hydrated. I do have diarreah though. Not always but at least once a day. Is this normal??/

It is not out of the ordinary to have diarrhea :o I had loose stools 100% of the time during the post op recovery stage. I know it can be a gross topic, but it is a fact of life for some. I was instructed to take an over the counter "NON CLUMPING" fiber supplement. I happened to buy Fiber Sure and put it in a little water and it worked wonders for me. The back of the product has directions for introducing the fiber to your system. You basically start with a half of a normal dose to begin with and then move to a regular dose. Good luck to you and I hope this helps.

~Lisa :)

:lb12:

This is the first time I've posted on this forum. I was banded on the 26th too. I am disappointed in my lack of any weight lost. I feel like I've been starving and have been very careful not to take in too many calories, and still nothing. No diarrhea, and almost no poops at all. I'm not just sitting around either. So what the heck?

The spot where my port is sometimes burns like crazy. Anyone else experience that? After I used up the medication they sent us home with I started on ibuprophen. I have a LOT of pain at that port site if I don't take it. I'm wondering if I'm just a whimp when it comes to pain.

Hello CatFriend,

I had the same problem in the beginning and you will probably hear this over and over but you are probably not taking in enough calories. I was around 700 or 800 a day and nothing was coming off. Finally I added more calories and voila 2 pounds fell off immediately! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't done it myself as it seems ridiculous but it does make a difference. For some reason our bodies go into starvation mode and hang on to absolutely everything. Don't get discouraged. Try to add in more calories and see if you don't get some results. I added cheese to my soup and it uppped my calories to around 1200 a day. If you melt it totally (velveeta works well) you should be able to tolerate it. Small bowls of soup work best. I have eaten too much at a time on occasion and lived to regret it.

Here is my recipe for Cauliflower cheese soup.

1 large head of cauliflower

1 med vidalia onion

2 T Butter

2 T sugar

1 quart (or more) chicken stock, should be enough to cover vegetables

1/4 cup flour

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup sherry

1/2 cup half and half

1 cup Velveeta

1 cup swiss cheese or Cheddar or mix grated

Salt and Pepper

Cayenne pepper (start with about 1/4 teaspoon and work up to taste) This is the most important ingredient as it really adds flavor.

Cut the cauliflower into small florets and set aside.

Slice onion into strips and saute in butter in the bottom of a large soup pot. As they are cooking add sugar and carmelize. Once the onions are brown add the stock and cauliflower. Boil until cauliflower is well cooked. Puree in blender until smooth in batches then return to soup pot. (I get a big bowl out and put the puree in there until it is all done then add back to the pot. Shake flour and water together until well mixed and add to soup mixture. Let it boil and thicken slightly. Add half and half, sherry, cheeses and seasonings. Simmer together until cheese is completely melted and serve. This is not low calorie but you should only be eating a half cup or so at a time. It is yummy and will up your calories so that you can start losing weight. This soup would not be for after solids as it is too calorie dense.

Cheryl

Hello CatFriend,

I had the same problem in the beginning and you will probably hear this over and over but you are probably not taking in enough calories. I was around 700 or 800 a day and nothing was coming off. Finally I added more calories and voila 2 pounds fell off immediately! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't done it myself as it seems ridiculous but it does make a difference. For some reason our bodies go into starvation mode and hang on to absolutely everything. Don't get discouraged. Try to add in more calories and see if you don't get some results. I added cheese to my soup and it uppped my calories to around 1200 a day. If you melt it totally (velveeta works well) you should be able to tolerate it. Small bowls of soup work best. I have eaten too much at a time on occasion and lived to regret it.

Here is my recipe for Cauliflower cheese soup.

1 large head of cauliflower

1 med vidalia onion

2 T Butter

2 T sugar

1 quart (or more) chicken stock, should be enough to cover vegetables

1/4 cup flour

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup sherry

1/2 cup half and half

1 cup Velveeta

1 cup swiss cheese or Cheddar or mix grated

Salt and Pepper

Cayenne pepper (start with about 1/4 teaspoon and work up to taste) This is the most important ingredient as it really adds flavor.

Cut the cauliflower into small florets and set aside.

Slice onion into strips and saute in butter in the bottom of a large soup pot. As they are cooking add sugar and carmelize. Once the onions are brown add the stock and cauliflower. Boil until cauliflower is well cooked. Puree in blender until smooth in batches then return to soup pot. (I get a big bowl out and put the puree in there until it is all done then add back to the pot. Shake flour and water together until well mixed and add to soup mixture. Let it boil and thicken slightly. Add half and half, sherry, cheeses and seasonings. Simmer together until cheese is completely melted and serve. This is not low calorie but you should only be eating a half cup or so at a time. It is yummy and will up your calories so that you can start losing weight. This soup would not be for after solids as it is too calorie dense.

Cheryl

This soup sounds great Cheryl, do you know approximately how many calories per bowl?

Cathy

I came up originally with about 160 cal per serving.

Bear in mind we are eating small amounts and it is so good I often want to eat more. Even my incredibly fussy husband gave it thumbs up!

Enjoy,

Cheryl