water during fasting?

On Tuesday I get my bloodwork done. The paperwork says to fast for 8 hours before getting to the clinic. Can we drink plain water during this time or absolutely nothing? And what about fasting for surgery from the night before, water or no water?

Thanks for all your help! You're fabulous! :lb13:

They will tell you not even water, but you can have a few sips if you're thirsty. Congratulations on making the decision to get banded.

If you have to take meds, only a sip of water. Just enough to get the pills down. Since your surgery is so late in the afternoon, ask Dr. Miranda or one of the other Dr's. what is the latest you can drink water or broth.

Don't tempt fate!

Jena

On Tuesday I get my bloodwork done. The paperwork says to fast for 8 hours before getting to the clinic. Can we drink plain water during this time or absolutely nothing? And what about fasting for surgery from the night before, water or no water?

Thanks for all your help! You're fabulous! :lb13:

They don't want you to have any water 8 hours before testing and surgery. You can have a sip with any meds you take, but that's it.

As a registered nurse myself let me explain why we tell patients not to eat or drink before surgery---not even water---. Your mouth and stomach are a dumb machine. Meaning, it does not know the difference between chewing gum and chewing a nice thick steak. What then happens is that your stomach starts to produce its gastric acids for preparations to digest the food it thinks it is going to get. This happens even when you drink water, gastric juices are produced in anticipation for digestion. Typically the stomach doesn't empty fully for 4-6 hours. So what happens if you drink water, chew gum, or eat something even something soooo small, gastric acids/juices are made and sit in your stomach. It is important not to have anything in your stomach before surgery because as they induce anesthesia, and before you are intubated -a tube they put in your airway to protect it- what ever is left in your stomach can come up the esophagus and down into your airway. This is called aspiration. It can make you very sick, and typically causes pneumonia. Some patients then have to be put on a ventilator. I am not giving advice...just letting you know the pathophysiology here. It is important to follow your Dr. instructions. If you don't understand why...just ask them to explain. I hope this helps! :) ~dianna~

I appreciate the responses and the informative info! I e-mailed Dr. Miranda and she already wrote back, she's speedy. She said "yes for bloodwork, no for surgery." So it's okay for pre-op testing, but I'll have to remember no water during the surgery fasting!

Thanks again, everybody!!!

I appreciate the responses and the informative info! I e-mailed Dr. Miranda and she already wrote back, she's speedy. She said "yes for bloodwork, no for surgery." So it's okay for pre-op testing, but I'll have to remember no water during the surgery fasting!

Thanks again, everybody!!!

PS LOVE THOSE DOGGIES OF YOURS :)