port incision draining !!!!!

OK, I am very nervious. I took my morning shower and when I was drying off I noticed that the port incision was draining a pink liquid, a lot. It soaked a washrag. It has been painful but I thought it was a normal part of the healing process. I called Dr. O and he said to keep it clean and covered and it should heal in three or four days. I am to keep him posted. I am hoping someone else has had this happen and assure me that this is ok. I am very nervious. Wish I lived closer to Dr. O so I could have him look at it and tell me everthing is OK. It continues to drain as I sit here. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :lb12: :lb12: :lb12:

OK, I am very nervious. I took my morning shower and when I was drying off I noticed that the port incision was draining a pink liquid, a lot. It soaked a washrag. It has been painful but I thought it was a normal part of the healing process. I called Dr. O and he said to keep it clean and covered and it should heal in three or four days. I am to keep him posted. I am hoping someone else has had this happen and assure me that this is ok. I am very nervious. Wish I lived closer to Dr. O so I could have him look at it and tell me everthing is OK. It continues to drain as I sit here. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :lb12: :lb12: :lb12:

My son had stitches in his knee, and when they were removed, the area was not quite closed and healed. The doctor put a few butterfly bandaids on it for a few days and it healed up fine. I am sure if you keep it covered and clean, it will be fine.

Good luck, Cathy

I haven't had any drainage from any of my incisions,.... it doesn't sound good though! Is it really sore and red? It sounds like it may be infected. Listen to Dr. O, but if you get a fever and\or chills you'd better see a local Doc. Please keep us updated :unsure: Darlene

I haven't had any drainage from any of my incisions,.... it doesn't sound good though! Is it really sore and red? It sounds like it may be infected. Listen to Dr. O, but if you get a fever and\or chills you'd better see a local Doc. Please keep us updated :unsure: Darlene

Thank you for the response. I do not have a fever. The site is warm and sore. I can not tell if it is red due to the bruising. I am following Dr. O's directions, it is just scary that he is so far away.

YIKES!!!! Oh my.. good luck and please keep us updated.. Sounds like Dr. O wasn't too concerned.. (which is a good sign... right?)

Yes, that is a good sign. He told me to make sure and call him if anything changes. I guessd I am just afraid that if I go to a doctor here they will mess up my band. thanks for the support, it means a lot. :wub:

I don't think they'd mess with your band, I think they'd just give you antibiotics. You would have say-so before they could do anything to you or your band. Has the drainage slowed at all??!! Thinking of you...

The drainage has slowed down. I was suprised how much fluid was in there though. It only leaks now when I put any pressure on it. On a positive note this had made me forget that I am on clear liquids until tomorrow. I get a protien shake :lb12:

If pus comes out, call him and go to see him immediately. Keep draining the liquid out. You might want to put some Neosporin or some cream like that on it. You may also want to pour some peroxide on it to clean the wound out. 3% Hydrogen Peroxide is used to clean wounds and release the dead skin. (you can find it at the drugstore for about $1.50)

Good luck to you and don't forget to let us know how you're doing.

Jena

I have had two C-Sections and after one of them I woke up on a wet bed... and no I didn't pee! LOL! The wound was draining and it was a mixture of water and blood which is probably why it is pinkish. This could be all it is. I ended up having to keep it covered with gauze and tape for a few days before it finally slowed down.

Aw Caroline! I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. How are you doing today? Is it getting any better? It sounds as though Dr. O wasn't TOO concerned - if he was he definitely would have told you to either get back to TJ to see him or to get to your primary Dr. to get antibiotics! Just keep putting neosporin or hydrogen peroxide on it to make sure it stays clean, and put gauze and a bandaid over it to keep it covered and away from infection. Let us know how you're making out - thinking of you and praying for your recovery. YAY FOR PROTEIN SHAKES =D>

My port incision did the same thing. It was doing it right from the center - not on the sides. I put neosporin and a bandaid on it and went to my docter. I thought it was peeling open. Not only did he say it wasn't peeling - but he gave major props to Dr. Ortiz and his staff - he thought the incisions were normal. He just had me keep a big bandaid - Like the size of my palm on it for several days. When I noticed there was no discharge, I would take it off, usually at night. And again, a friend (bandgroupie) gave me good advice and that was to keep it on until it healed completely. Taking it off at night was probably irritating it against the sheets, pj's, etc.

Be patient and just keep it covered. I kept mine on for a good 6-7 days. It healed just fine :rolleyes:

Good afternoon all, thank you for all the supportive messages. I am feeling much better about this whole thing thanks to you all. I have kept it covered as Dr. O instructed and letting the water really wash it out in the shower. It is not infected or red. Real wierd though, I can see the port when I look in the hole :wacko: . Calicat, mine is in the center too. You all are awesome =D>

Good afternoon all, thank you for all the supportive messages. I am feeling much better about this whole thing thanks to you all. I have kept it covered as Dr. O instructed and letting the water really wash it out in the shower. It is not infected or red. Real wierd though, I can see the port when I look in the hole :wacko: . Calicat, mine is in the center too. You all are awesome =D>

Caroline.....you can see the port?!?!? I do not think that is good. Did you tell Dr. O that when you emailed/talked to him? My incision is not even directly over my port - my port is approximately 1 inch below by incision. I am glad you are feeling better and the incision is not red or looking infected but it should not be open to the point you can see inside of it. I think you should call Dr. O back. Please keep us posted. You will be in my prayers.

Well, I just emailed dr. O pictures of my incision and the injection sight of the blood thinner and I am flying back to TJ tomorrow night. I have a serma hematoma. I have to have more surgery to move my port to a healthier spot. :((

Caroline, I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. But thank goodness for Dr. O. He will take good care of you and make sure everything is right. Afterall this is an investment and we all want to take good care of our investments. Please keep us posted. You will be in my prayers.

Caroline, I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. But thank goodness for Dr. O. He will take good care of you and make sure everything is right. Afterall this is an investment and we all want to take good care of our investments. Please keep us posted. You will be in my prayers.

Blazn, your right, it is an investment! thanw for the prayers I will take all I can get at this point.

Blazn, your right, it is an investment! thanw for the prayers I will take all I can get at this point.