Can someone answer this for me please....

I am doing the pre op diet 2 shakes and 1 lean cuisine.... I have a question though, what is the difference if I drink a shake that has 180 calories verses eating a lean cuisine or smart one that has a 180 calories in it? I mean do we have to have the 2 shakes for a reason or we just have to have something that is low in calories?

I am doing the pre op diet 2 shakes and 1 lean cuisine.... I have a question though, what is the difference if I drink a shake that has 180 calories verses eating a lean cuisine or smart one that has a 180 calories in it? I mean do we have to have the 2 shakes for a reason or we just have to have something that is low in calories?

Good question! I think the purpose of the shakes is because they have a lot more protein and will keep you full longer. But, not sure about that. Good question for Dr. Miranda.

You might as well adapt to the LIQUIDS now :)

I am not sure what the Slimfast or any other off the shelf shakes have that food doesn't, but I am on Optifast and I was told that they are specially formulated to reduce the fat in my liver and I have to have at least 3 per day.

But I have also seen various pre-op diet plans here and it serves the same purpose????

I have been having a lean cuisine for dinner along with the shakes and snacking on non-starch veggies.

It's been working...I have lost 12 lbs on the pre-op as of today and surgery is tommorrow morning!!

Best of luck, it can be difficult, but it also gives you a little training on how to manage the post-op liquid diet too!!

Take care Cathy

Thanks for answering my question guys! That helps me understand it a little better. I have to just keep saying its only 18 more days that I have to do this for and then I wont be as hungry! Guess I need more to snack on cuz here is how my day goes:

7:00 am- Drink a Slim Fast

11:00 am- Drink a Slim Fast

5:00 pm- Eat a Smart One or Lean Cuisine

And in between those hours I drink Crystal Light?

You guys have any other suggestions or is this what I am suppose to be doing? This is 610 calories a day....

Hello Lilly,

The reason for the pre-op diet is to shrink your stomach, liver, and fatty tissues.

The liver hangs over the stomach which makes the stomach hard to access. So by doing an almost liquid diet for pre-op, will shrink the liver enough so the doctor can slide the band around your stomach.

If you eat Lean Cuisines 3 times a day, you will not shrink that area. Dr Ortiz will know if you did or did not follow the instructions as soon as he opens you up.

I hope this answers your question!

I know it's hard, but it does get easier. You will be on a more strict diet after surgery, though you won't be hungry much anyways. Just remember the skinny girl inside of you is dying to come out, and all you have to do is build a door!!

Good luck honey! The majority of us have gone through it, so we will help you as much as we can! ><'

Not saying you are wrong, but I was allowed to do an Adkins type diet for my pre-op weight loss. With that one, you just have to start earlier. The liquid diet is for 1 to 2 weeks pre-op. The Adkins is 3 week pre-op. That comes right from Dr. Miranda, and on their web-site. Thats what I did and only switched to the liquid shakes because I was only losing 3 - 5 pounds per week and Dr. Miranda wanted me to lose more, and thought the shakes in place of meals would help. I don't know how that was expected to workk though because losing more than 5 pounds per week on anyone is next to impossible.

I am thinking that a calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from, but this is still a great question to ask of Dr. Miranda. I am just curious about your statement because I do happen to carry most of my weight in my stomach area and I did get the bigger VG band. But, Dr. Ortiz never said he had any problem with me and Dr. Miranda was happy with my weight loss which was 17 pounds pre-op.

But, hey, if that is true, I'd gladly go back on shakes for 2 meals per day just to get my stomach to shrink some. I look pregnant! Just kidding, I know I can't because I am banded already, but that would have been cool if it works.

That is a fantastic amount to lose pre-op!!!! Good for you! I did pre-op for 6 weeks and could only shed 17 pounds!

Thanks!! But remember, I have A LOT MORE to lose than a lot of you!! LOL!! Thanks tho, I will take the compliment!! And 17 lbs is just as amazing!! Thats a freakin almost 20 lb bag of dog food removed from your shoulders!!

Thanks!! But remember, I have A LOT MORE to lose than a lot of you!! LOL!! Thanks tho, I will take the compliment!! And 17 lbs is just as amazing!! Thats a freakin almost 20 lb bag of dog food removed from your shoulders!!

Thanks doll, but I probably have more to lose than everyone here!! I am still at 260 now. You'de think it would come off easy, but each and every pound is a horrible struggle.

I like the dog food analogy though, good one to think about.

Hey Lillygal?

remember you are alowed up to 4lbs of GREEN veg although I did have mushrooms.

So chow down on broccoli, cucumber etc in between or with your lean cuisine. It really helped me.

Nicolek