I don't know if this forum is right for me.

Guest cedartown

Guest cedartown

I love to read the stories here but i get so pissed off at people who act like the band is some miracle,or they treat it like garbage.

I listened to Dr Miranda.You should too!!

Please don't cheat.You just spent around 10k to have all of this done.Can't you wait 21 days to eat?

If you can't wait 3 weeks,you can't do it! Plain & simple!!!

You wasted your money.

Come on..4 cups of ice cream on day 7?Plus 2 huge bowls of soup all at once?

I'm fat too,but dammit,this isn't the supporting shoulder we all need to read that it's ok to pig out on day 7!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love to read the stories here but i get so pissed off at people who act like the band is some miracle,or they treat it like garbage.

I listened to Dr Miranda.You should too!!

Please don't cheat.You just spent around 10k to have all of this done.Can't you wait 21 days to eat?

If you can't wait 3 weeks,you can't do it! Plain & simple!!!

You wasted your money.

Come on..4 cups of ice cream on day 7?Plus 2 huge bowls of soup all at once?

I'm fat too,but dammit,this isn't the supporting shoulder we all need to read that it's ok to pig out on day 7!

Hi Cedartown.

The wonderful thing about this forum is that we CAN support each other. some people have more willpower than others and some just need reassurance that they are doing the right thing. After all, we wouldn't be fat if we could restrict ourselves on our own. Read the posts that interest you, respond if you like but I don't think it helps those who are doing the wrong thing to judge them harshly. Instead, friendly advise, tips on making it easier to get through "bandster hell" etc will help those who are struggling. If you are pissed off, don't read them.

Have you ever been on a diet where you have cheated? If not, I commend you. In the 30 years of yo-yo dieting, I can honestly say I cheated. It may not have been much, but even a candy on a low carb diet can ruin it for the whole week...

Every one of us was told how to make our band work and sometimes just talking about it in order to figure out what we have done wrong, will help us in getting it right. Everyone also has the opportunity to talk with dr Miranda at any time after, she is as far as a telephone. The only thing I would be concerned about on the creamy stage is starting it too quickly without doing the lactaid part. believe me, it can make life miserable.

I personally have been struggling with losing weight the last 6 weeks. I know that if I didn't come here to the forum, I would likely have eaten everything i possibly could. I like that I was able to glean information to help me get through this period. People may not have responded directly to me, but it was good to read that others were in the same boat as me and struggling.

Now, did I cheat on pre-op diet? yes. Did I lose the weight I was supposed to? 10 of the 12 I was asked to in less than 2 weeks. Did I cheat on my post op diet? not really. by week 3 I was a guilty chew, spitter. by the last week I would chew a juicy peice of chicken and then spit. That is how I got through it.

Everyone must make a choice when they are eating their creamy foods. Is this going to benefit me? Is this on the list of "good, healthy" foods? If they arent and a person has make a mistake, and the head hunger has taken over, they are here to get advise and help to get back on track. Everyone has to realize that they are in the healing stage of the lapband and losing weight is not the ultimate goal of that stage. it is an added benefit when it happens. they did not "waste their $$$" and will be able to turn things around.

SORRY that you feel that way!!!

Never forget .... Everyone is different! Some people are strong enough to always follow the rules (did not meet anyone so far), some are just not and fall off the wagon for a minute.

This is why this forum is so unique. I learn from the good and the not so good stories/posts.

Hopefully, you never lose strenght and catch yourself making a mistake ;)

Guest cedartown

Good post,sparetire.

My thoughts stem from this wonderful "tool" we now have.It's a tool,not a miracle.

My previous diets never afforded me the mentality that i now have with my band.

I can't console someone who goes to this extreme on day 7.IMO,this isn't the support they need,or any new bandster,or future bandster needs to read..

It's not OK to eat like this,so IMO,people should stop posting that it is ok,less everyone think it's ok to do this.

Don't stretch your pouch or make your band slip.If this wasn't possible,i don't think they would warn us about it.We don't need to make like it's ok,like people are doing.

Guest cedartown

Willi,did you miss the part where she had 2 huge bowls of soup & 4 bowls of ice cream in 1 sitting on day 7?

This is beyond cheating on a diet.

Read your signature.It says it all.

"Nothing will work unless you do!"

- Maya Angelou

Hi Cedartown,

I could not agree more. I said the same thing about a week or so ago and was slammed big time by those who thought the band was a miracle tool that would help them lose weight, without making healthy food choices. Eating ice cream, cookies, bacon and overeating is not on the base menu. A treat once in awhile is okay, life is long time to never have a taste of the things we love.

But I also received an amazing amount of support including Dr. Ortiz, who posted two excellent messages supporting our point of view.

Don't leave us, prove them wrong! I became stronger and even more determined to show everyone that if you want to lose weight, you need to make healthy food choices and make a lifestyle change. And if restriction is a problem, then healthy choices are even more important to avoid gaining weight.

Keep strong and focus on the goal!

Cathy

maybe I'm wrong cedar, but I believe that if someone woofed down a mountain of food and post about it on here, that person tries to find a way back on the band wagon and is looking for some support. I maybe don't agree with what a person did or not, but I would not want to judge anyone either.

Now, help a german girl out and tell me how much is 4 little dixie cups ? Is it equal to 4 regular cups? :D

And yes, I personally believe in .....

I can see both sides of the arguement. On one hand i'm saying to myself wow why would you even touch ice cream or milk shakes only 7 or 8 days out of surgery!!! On the other hand I'm thinking who am I to judge someone for their choice.

What I do know is that slamming someone or basically telling them no matter what they do they have wasted money and might as well give up now is not helping anyone.

If this is the only support and advice that can be offered then perhaps this is not the right forum for you. I am glad that your experience has been successful and your battle with food has been effortless however not everyone is going to have a bump free road.

I have not yet been banded and I have no intention of cheating or not following the instructions from Dr. Maranda, however if I do I know that I can reach out to this forum for advice and support to get me moving back in the right direction.

Best of luck on your journey.

Guest cedartown

If it's like the cups small ice creams come in around here i would assume it was about 2 oz each.I'm thinking it's the kind you see in Chinese Restaurants that come with little wooden spoons.

I just don't think it's wise to put 20 oz of half solids into your pouch all at one time.

Guest cedartown

erin,i didn't say no matter what you do.I said that if you can't even follow through a simple plan for 21 days,you wasted your money.

This isn't a diet,it's a new lifestyle.IMO,this woman needs to get mentally tough,get back with the program & hope her band didn't slip,& let this be a lesson to herself.

I care about this woman,otherwise i wouldn't be posting.I care about everyone here.

This is why i'm being so cruel.Don't waste this chance 21 days out of the gate.

Oh and BTW...Julie ate 1/2-3/4cup servings...I couldn't find in her post where she said she ate 2 "HUGE" bowls!!!

maybe I'm wrong cedar, but I believe that if someone woofed down a mountain of food and post about it on here, that person tries to find a way back on the band wagon and is looking for some support. I maybe don't agree with what a person did or not, but I would not want to judge anyone either.

Now, help a german girl out and tell me how much is 4 little dixie cups ? Is it equal to 4 regular cups?

And yes, I personally believe in .....

- Maya Angelou

dixie cups are 5oz ea so 4 would equal 20 oz or just shy of 1.5 regular cup measures.

hth...

btw cedar, I am not saying that having icecream is ok, but one can afford a few extra "creamy" calories when on the liquid phase due to your body not getting enough calories. i know i struggled with gettting enough. rarely could I even hit 800 in a day so having icecream would be a choice during this phase.

the gist of this gal's post was owning up to her mistake and asking others not to do it. she held herself up as an example of what not to do.

I agree that it is not wise to eat that much food on day 7. I have also read in Dr. Ortiz's book that eating that much food to early can cause the pouch to stretch which can hinder your future weight loss success. While it is vitally important that you stick to the dietary instructions from Dr. Miranda, If someone has one bad day and reaches out to the forum to get back on the right track I think we can be forgiving and offer our advice. Now if this is something that happens every day, that is where I say you draw the line from supportive to non supportive.

Guest cedartown

I support her,my thoughts stem from everyone telling her what she did is ok.This will lead future bandsters into thinking it will be ok too.

Sooner or later someone will follow & stretch their pouch or slip their band.

FWIW,her pouch may already be stretched & will hinder her weight loss.

So,if the cups are 5 oz each,this puts her total 1 sitting meal at 32 ounces.Thats over 2 lbs of liquid/half solid at one time.I somehow doubt potato bacon soup is very liquid either.

I'd also like to add that numerous people have sent me messages applauding me for saying what i am.Seems this forum makes people a little nervous about posting against the flow of support.

I'd like to add that i support every person here but i can not support what I think is bad advice.

erin,i didn't say no matter what you do.I said that if you can't even follow through a simple plan for 21 days,you wasted your money.

This isn't a diet,it's a new lifestyle.IMO,this woman needs to get mentally tough,get back with the program & hope her band didn't slip,& let this be a lesson to herself.

I care about this woman,otherwise i wouldn't be posting.I care about everyone here.

This is why i'm being so cruel.Don't waste this chance 21 days out of the gate.

Again I totally agree....I also care very much for all of my friends here on the forum. I am always here to support those who are going through tough times and those who are succeeding.

I know that we will all have those days when you want to eat a handful of cookies or a bowl of ice-cream or even a peice of chocolate cake...and that's okay as long as you are staying on course. I think the problem some of have is when it's posted as cheating on the diet or OMG What did I do?. You know what you did and obviously are feeling guilty about it or you wouldn't have posted it. But, the lesson in all of this is to realize that you ate before you were supposed to, or ate too much for your band and get back on track! Only you can make the right choices, no one else can do that for you.

I am two days post op eating jello for dinner, while my family eats pizza ...it's all psychological. It's choices. It's hard, but it's mind over matter and we all here to support one another!

Cathy

She blew it and I think she knows she did. I can tell you one thing from everything I’ve heard, when Dr. Ortiz puts that band in you he expects you to take care of it – he doesn’t want you to do something that can jeopardize your band or your health. She ate 2 bowls of soup and ice cream – did she stretch her band – I don’t know - but I know there’s always that chance and I know it takes surgery to correct. Personally I bet Julie will pick herself up, learn a lesson and not do it again, and I hope that she hasn’t done anything to harm herself or her band. However I would not want to be the one going back to the clinic to explain to Dr. Ortiz – from everything I’ve heard it’s not a fun moment. So lesson learned….

I understand how people react – we have all different personalities here and that’s good. You’ve got the supporters and the hard ass’s and then some nice middle grounders. (I’m actually in the hard ass camp, I get how they feel, and when you’ve totally dedicated yourself to being successful with a program and you hear about people doing things that can jeopardize it - it makes you upset, it shouldn’t its not your body – but it still does). Plus it’s just my cranky personality and I’m bossy.

But the truth is, we’re all here to support each other –we just do it differently and some are not going to like how each other reacts at times, or what we say at times – we just need to sit back and get that, without getting too upset with each other. Also a little spice never hurt – keeps the blood moving – as long as we end up liking each other at the end of the day.

Best,

Lisa

Question:

Sparetire indicated that she was not getting enough calories and therefore making a choice to have ice cream or whatever was a choice to increase her calorie intake.

I am on day two of my post-op diet and considering I only have water, broth, unsweetened cranberry juice or gatorade and unsweetened jello, I am barely taking in 150-200 calories a day, if that!

But what can I do about that, I am following the post op diet and forcing myself to take in what I am. What is the minimum calorie intake per day?

Thanks Cathy

She blew it and I think she knows she did. I can tell you one thing from everything I’ve heard, when Dr. Ortiz puts that band in you he expects you to take care of it – he doesn’t want you to do something that can jeopardize your band or your health. She ate 2 bowls of soup and ice cream – did she stretch her band – I don’t know - but I know there’s always that chance and I know it takes surgery to correct. Personally I bet Julie will pick herself up, learn a lesson and not do it again, and I hope that she hasn’t done anything to harm herself or her band. However I would not want to be the one going back to the clinic to explain to Dr. Ortiz – from everything I’ve heard it’s not a fun moment. So lesson learned….

I understand how people react – we have all different personalities here and that’s good. You’ve got the supporters and the hard ass’s and then some nice middle grounders. (I’m actually in the hard ass camp, I get how they feel, and when you’ve totally dedicated yourself to being successful with a program and you hear about people doing things that can jeopardize it - it makes you upset, it shouldn’t its not your body – but it still does). Plus it’s just my cranky personality and I’m bossy.

But the truth is, we’re all here to support each other –we just do it differently and some are not going to like how each other reacts at times, or what we say at times – we just need to sit back and get that, without getting too upset with each other. Also a little spice never hurt – keeps the blood moving – as long as we end up liking each other at the end of the day.

Best,

Lisa

Love you Lisa...BTW I am doing much better today! Cathy

Perhaps the best advice would be the next time someone has the urge to over eat rather than posting to the forum afterwards, post before and talk about what your thinking of doing. Perhaps it will provide an outlet and take your mind off of the food for a moment.

I'm doing pre op diet right now and while my husband sat here eating an egg roll from Jack in the Box (my favorite) and asking me if I want one, I got up, went into the kitchen, and made myself a diet coke slush, sat down and ate it with a spoon.

It is all about choices. You will be surrounded by temptation every day and it is in your power to make the right choices. If you fall off the wagon, dust yourself off and jump right back on!

Here's to all the great people on this forum! ><'

Forgive me, but I was never told that certain foods were off limits. I was informed that certain foods would better benefit weight loss over others. There are foods that were recommended that I am allergic to. There are foods I enjoy that I still will eat, though in moderation and infrequently even then, because I do like them. Does that mean I am violating diet rules? No. It means I am adjusting to eating much less. If I drink water, I'll lose more weight than if I drink sweetened tea. But sweetened tea wasn't ruled out.

Everyone here knows what Dr. Miranda said. If we were in control of our eating habits, this forum would be totally empty. I will support those who "fall off the wagon" because they will be here when I do, to give me encouragement and make me feel positive again. Heaven knows how much crap ALL of us have endured in a lifetime of largeness. There are beautiful people in here. I've discovered this in only a couple of months. Lifting each of them up, and praising their successes, and encouraging them when they wane is my role. Each person here WILL achieve their goals... they have me.. and they have you... to help them.

Success is one day at a time, everyone. We will win more days than we lose, and soon... there will be NO losses - except weight and clothing sizes!!!

Perhaps the best advice would be the next time someone has the urge to over eat rather than posting to the forum afterwards, post before and talk about what your thinking of doing. Perhaps it will provide an outlet and take your mind off of the food for a moment.

I'm doing pre op diet right now and while my husband sat here eating an egg roll from Jack in the Box (my favorite) and asking me if I want one, I got up, went into the kitchen, and made myself a diet coke slush, sat down and ate it with a spoon.

It is all about choices. You will be surrounded by temptation every day and it is in your power to make the right choices. If you fall off the wagon, dust yourself off and jump right back on!

Here's to all the great people on this forum! ><'

Oh I love egg rolls too...is a diet coke slushy carbonated?

Cathy