Hello from Canada

Hello everyone. I have been reading my brains out the last couple of days. This is such a wonderful forum for support. A little about myself....I am a 38 year old mother of 2 girls - 13 and 9. Married for 14 years. I was overweight as a child. As soon as boys came into my awareness I lost it all by not eating. I stayed thin until I was 22 and then I started gaining (too much beer, LOL). I was 145 lbs when I got pregnant with the first child. I have consistently gained ever since. My last child was born at 6 months gestation and passed away. My body never recovered from the shock of having the baby early, and neither did my emotions. I am an emotional eater! Any way I am now 200 lbs and 5 feet tall. I have done and failed at so many diets. As I am sure you all have.

I was 1 week away from have the bypass surgery about 4 years ago and backed out. I felt that is just wasn't what I needed. This brings me to now....I am so big around and short legged that I have a hard time driving my bus (my career). I either have to drive with my toes or have my belly against the steering wheel. Either way sucks! I just want my true self to shine through again. I am/was a very outgoing person who liked to joke around but now I feel that everyone I run into judges me for my weight. That stems from a life of thin brothers who always called overweight women FAT PIGS!!!!! Oh the life we lead, and the baggage we carry. :(

Lori told me today that she can book me in for the surgery in July. The excites me and scares me at the same time.

Is there anyone else here that is in Alberta, Canada? What was your overall experience? Thanks for listening to me go on and on. LOL

Trudy

Welcome Trudy.

I'm not from Canada -- but I visited once! Beautiful! I have seen others from Canada on the forum, so I'm sure they'll chime in soon. (I've noticed that the forum is a little slower Friday night through the weekend).

I'm glad you introduced yourself. Congratulations on making the decisioin and getting your July surgery date. It is scary and exciting all at the same time!

This forum is great for sharing fears, concerns, joys, and successes!

WELCOME!

Hello everyone. I have been reading my brains out the last couple of days. This is such a wonderful forum for support. A little about myself....I am a 38 year old mother of 2 girls - 13 and 9. Married for 14 years. I was overweight as a child. As soon as boys came into my awareness I lost it all by not eating. I stayed thin until I was 22 and then I started gaining (too much beer, LOL). I was 145 lbs when I got pregnant with the first child. I have consistently gained ever since. My last child was born at 6 months gestation and passed away. My body never recovered from the shock of having the baby early, and --

<clip>

Hi Tadpole! Jann from Calgary banded June 9th OCC. Welcome and 'gratz on your decision!

Welcome Trudy! I look forward to getting to know you better! :lb9:

WELCOME and I think you'll be pleased you found this forum. TONS of info so much you could read for days on end I am sure. I was just banded 6/4/08 and am doing quite well. You'll love the OCC. I could tell you so much but most of it is already written in other peoples posts. Good luck on your prre-op diet and since you have so much time to do it start asap, don't wait until just 2 weeks to modify what you're eating cause then the pressure is on. If you even follow the 2 shakes and a lean cuisine diet and add a few snacks starting as soon as you can then cut it down to just those items 2 weeks before you'll be happy you did. Also I think another tip is to travel LIGHT....really I stuffed 1 backpack and only used 1/2 of what I took really. Some other tips are to take some bouillon cubes or packets with you for the plane home or just even at the hotel. Their broth is very good but it's about $5 a bowl and you only eat half of it. That's all I can think of for now. Good luck and congratulations for making this huge decision. I too almost had the whole bypass surgery a year ago and am so thankful I didn't, even if insurance paid for it but not ther lap band. They now pay for both but I don't have that insurance anymore. Anyway enjoy your countdown to being a bandster for life!!

Hi Tadpole/Trudy,

Welcome!

I am Kittycat/Cathy and I live in Kitchener, Ontario...I was banded on Tuesday of this week, June 10th and doing well...little tender but getting better everyday.

You will find the support and encouragement on this forum amazing, the ladies and gentlemen are wonderful. We are a mixure of various personalities who love each other, support each other and sometimes clash, but in the end it's all about the goal, the goal to be healthy and thinner!

Best of luck to you and don't be a stranger. If you have any questions at all, they will be answered here!

Take care Cathy

Thanks for the replies everyone. I so look forward to getting to know you all. I have a question for all of you.....how have you dealt with the emotional aspect of your weight issues? I am sure I am not the only emotional eater here. :) I eat for every and any reason. How did you get past the "grieving" aspect of not being able to eat like you did before you were banded?

Have a great Saturday everyone.

Trudy

Guest cedartown
How did you get past the "grieving" aspect of not being able to eat like you did before you were banded?

I told my wife that instead of eating i planned to have sex instead.

She said good luck with that,but you will then have to have a carpal tunnel operation.

Yes Tadpole, emotional and psychological eating is 99% of the battle with the band.

We are conditioned to be able to eat whatever we want, although most of us have dieted before, having the band is different. You are challenged many times during the process. You must be emotionally and psychologically prepared to do it.

The band is a tool which works in conjunction with healthy eating. Although there are times, you will have little restriction and could probably eat whatever you want, it's best to stick to the protein, veggies, grains and fruit plan that the surgeon will recommend. That way, if you need to eat more to feel satified, you are still eating healthy and your weight won't go up.

If you find that when your stressed or upset or even happy, you like to eat...have food on hand to satisified the need. Good foods, like chopped veggies or fruit, yogurt or pudding, you can grab and go.

I am going to try it on my own for now, been banded just 4 days, but if I need help, I will be seeking a counsellor to help me overcome my emotional eating, and there is no shame in that.

The goal is to lose weight, whatever it takes to meet that goal, do it!!! And we will be here to support you the whole way!!

Take care, Cathy

Hi Trudy,

I live in the Okanagan area of BC. Always great to have another Canadian on the board. My niece died two years ago (at 6 months too) and it was so very sad. My B-I-L and S-I-L still mourn for her every day, everybody grieves differently and that is ok, I'm so sorry for your loss. On a happier note, congratulations on your decision to get banded, I have only had the band for 7 weeks but so far it has been a great decision, it is nice to feel in control of my weight - I hope it does the same for you.

Hello everyone. I have been reading my brains out the last couple of days. This is such a wonderful forum for support. A little about myself....I am a 38 year old mother of 2 girls - 13 and 9. Married for 14 years. I was overweight as a child. As soon as boys came into my awareness I lost it all by not eating. I stayed thin until I was 22 and then I started gaining (too much beer, LOL). I was 145 lbs when I got pregnant with the first child. I have consistently gained ever since. My last child was born at 6 months gestation and passed away. My body never recovered from the shock of having the baby early, and neither did my emotions. I am an emotional eater! Any way I am now 200 lbs and 5 feet tall. I have done and failed at so many diets. As I am sure you all have.

I was 1 week away from have the bypass surgery about 4 years ago and backed out. I felt that is just wasn't what I needed. This brings me to now....I am so big around and short legged that I have a hard time driving my bus (my career). I either have to drive with my toes or have my belly against the steering wheel. Either way sucks! I just want my true self to shine through again. I am/was a very outgoing person who liked to joke around but now I feel that everyone I run into judges me for my weight. That stems from a life of thin brothers who always called overweight women FAT PIGS!!!!! Oh the life we lead, and the baggage we carry. :(

Lori told me today that she can book me in for the surgery in July. The excites me and scares me at the same time.

Is there anyone else here that is in Alberta, Canada? What was your overall experience? Thanks for listening to me go on and on. LOL

Trudy

Welcome Trudy,

Sounds like you found the right place for support. Many of us have similar stories.

I am from the North Okanagan in BC.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I so look forward to getting to know you all. I have a question for all of you.....how have you dealt with the emotional aspect of your weight issues? I am sure I am not the only emotional eater here. :) I eat for every and any reason. How did you get past the "grieving" aspect of not being able to eat like you did before you were banded?

Have a great Saturday everyone.

Trudy

Trudy,

As a therapist, I have to mention that you might consider talking to a professional counselor/therapist if possible. As far as emotional eating, I have always been one. Happy, sad, angry, everything. I have to say that the band has put a firm stop to that. I have been banded a year and a half so I know what I can and can't eat. I might grab something when upset, and then eat too quick, or too big of bites, and then BAM you know what you did because it hurts!!! BUT if I really want to I could eat candy bars or ice cream, so you do have to have some self control. Now that I am back on track losing steadily with a good fill, I don't have the urge to pig out as much because I am excited about the weight loss. Also lots of us have food dreams as a replacement......

Good luck! I do believe that with personal effort and the band, most people can be successful and I highly recommend the OCC for it, if you are going to do it!

Karen

Hi Trudy,

I'm also from Canada. I live in Calgary, Alberta. Good luck and you won't be sorry. I was banded on May 16, 2008. Things are going well. The clinic in Mexico is awesome and as I'm sure you have heard Dr. Ortiz is a honey. Very nice and also easy on the eyes. Don't worry you will be impressed with their efficiency and the care you receive.

Cheryl

For me, after getting banded, I was so conscious of the price I'd paid - physical, monitary, social, time off work, etc. that it pretty much made me do right on the first 3 weeks after being banded, in which you can only have liquids. After that period of time, it was easier to want less emotionally because 21 days is just about how long it takes to form a new habit. Welcome to the forum - we all wish you the best!!

Trudy

Welcome to our group.. You will love it.

I told my wife that instead of eating i planned to have sex instead.

She said good luck with that,but you will then have to have a carpal tunnel operation.

OMG.. you totally crack me up..