Not happy with results! No restriction

Hello to all! I'm fairly new and I don't post alot but I always try to look for answers in everyone's postings, but I need some feedback, I'm begining to have 2nd thoughts....

I am feeling a little unhappy with my results since the surgery. I already had a fill and Dr Soh only put in 1.2. He said everyone is different and the amount of fill will vary form person to person. I agree, but I have yet to feel any restriction. My whole intention of getting the lap band was to have a portion controler, I understand that it is a tool and that's what I wanted it for. I eat healthy, loves veggies, fruits, whole grains, yogurt, salads, chicken, etc. I drink lot's of water, I'm not a dessert person and I don't drink soda. I do however have a problem with serving sizes and I was convinced that this was the solution; a portion controler. I have talked to others in our group that had the surgery the same day and some are still losing, very little but losing. Others feel a little restriction. I can eat and eat and eat. I have to hold back, so I feel like I have paid all this money to be right where I was before the lap band. In the last 2 weeks I have been stuck and now have gained 2 lbs. I am back doing my pre-op diet; 2 slims fasts and a lean cuisine. Is this all there is?

I can't have another fill until next week, which is not far away but I had one on May 17. Will it be worth it? Another drive to TJ and $100! Will it make a difference? Can someone share if they have experienced anything like this.

:lb12: Help somebody!

Congrats on your 22lb weight loss! That IS something :D

Everyone is different but here's what happened to me. I was banded 3/24/08. Date of surgery I was 276. After the 21 days of liquids followed by the soup phase weighed in at 262. Before my first fill I was able to eat large portions of almost everything and really had to be conscious of my food. I thought my first fill woudl "fix it" and give me the portion control I needed.. sooo.. went back to TJ on 5/13 (6 weeks) and had 1.8cc's in my band. Came home and had restriction for about a week. Please also note that I weighed 262 when I returned for my first fill. AFter a week I knew I needed a 2nd fill and scheduled one locally 6/6.. went and had 2nd fill and now have 2.5cc's in my band. ( I also weighed 262 at 2nd fill) WOW what a difference with my 2nd fill. It's been a little over a week and I've dropped 3lbs...! I now have portion control.. there is NO WAY around it.. I CANNOT eat more that my little pouch can hold or I throw up. That's it, I throw up and it's nasty so I avoid it at all costs.

Please be patient and do NOT thinnk you wasted your money/time/energy etc.... It's not a quick fix, it takes time.. I won't say it's a "tool" (that's for you mona) :-h ) but seriously it is something to "assist" you in your weight loss.. It sounds like you are making healthy food choices and are discouraged that the weight's not coming on quickly.. please don't give up. Take it day by day. Continue making healthy choices and know that when you get to "sweet spot" you WILL feel the restriction you're wanting. I promise, it WILL happen. Even though I have not yet lost a "ton" of weight I am EXTREMELY happy / satisfied / pleased with my band because without it, as I've posted before, I know without a doubt I would be tipping the scales at 300lbs right now.

Don't give up, Don't give up DON'T GIVE UP!!

Also.. don't compare your fill with anyone else's.. Everyone is different and while we all want a "good fill" our first time that's just not the way it works for everyone.

You posted in the right place, everyone will have lot's of feedback / advice for you.

:lb4:

We are here for you day, night, rain or shine.

:give_rose:

Yes, I think you should definately get another fill. I think that would just do the trick. Don't get discouraged. Sometimes it takes several fills to get to your sweet spot. I had my first fill on May 3rd and my weight loss has slowed down a good bit and although I am still losing I am thinking about having another small fill. Good luck and keep us posted.

Well we have to remember it took us a long time to gain this extra weight we are carrying around.

Any weight loss is a plus!

It might take us time to get to get our band where we need it to be for weight loss. But I'm confident we will get there.

Please don't be unhappy with your results. Just keep on chugging. I think many make the mistake of just giving up and not going back for an adjustment.

It will work.

I haven't had my first fill yet, scheduled 7/4/08, but I was totally discouraged about 2 weeks ago because I was gaining weight back. I was to the verge of giving up! I put myself on a great diet last week, drank like a fish (water of course) and weighed myself on Saturday and lost the 2 pounds that I gained back. So don't give up, it will work. I could not have done it without the people on this forum and their GREAT support!

It is so frustrating to find your sweet spot. It does take time however. I just put it in my mind that it will take 2 years to get to my goal weight....this is actually realistic with lap band.....not like the bypass where they lose it so quickly. Be patient and keep working at it and it will happen. You may not be losing on the scale...I am not right now, but I am losing inches....my clothes are falling off. It is so hard because we want to see instant results and get frustrated, but the reality of the situation is that we didn't get in this situation overnight and it won't go away overnight either.

I am sorry you are feeling discouraged. Just remember, you need to get to that "sweet spot" to feel perfect restriction. I have had one fill and I also don't have any restriction. My next fill is next week and right now I am relying on willpower alone. It will get better!

Guest cedartown

Wow..Don't give up after 2 months. I hate to see people think they wasted their money.

I'll stop typing now before i say too much. :ph34r:

Proud of you Cedar. Keep up the good work :P

Wow..Don't give up after 2 months. I hate to see people think they wasted their money.

I'll stop typing now before i say too much. :ph34r:

The same thing happened to me.. and if you are really wanting the lbs to drop.. you are doing the right thing. I went back to the pre op diet as well.. 2 shakes and a lean cuisine. Keep doing that and you will lose. Then once you do hit that sweet spot, you'll be able to eat all of the healthy foods you like and have that restriction you have been waiting for!! Keep it up... ONE DAY AT A TIME!!

I think we all want immediate and this is a behaviour modification program. It's not difficult to get caught up in the front-end pre fill FAST WL as it just apparently melts away and sets up the expectation going forward. You now have a gold standard of expectation that just isn't realistic.

If I understand correctly in all my reading (no, I don't have Dr O's book and I ordered it almost two months ago!) the fills are based on a stepped program that are designed specifially for your body to adapt until you reach the "sweet spot". The fill stage is a patience game but you will get there!

Let me start by thanking those of you who responded with some postive feedback. I really appreciate it. SOmetimes I feel like I can do this on my own and I show my family I'm strong and can take it, when in reality it's nice to know that there is someone out there that is experiencing something similar and we can share. I was expecting it to be a little bit easier, I really thought that the restriction was immediate. I didn't know about the forum before my operation but I am glad to have you all now.

ALso I want to let you know that I have not given up. By no means did I think that I this was a quick fix, after gaining over the course of 10 years, about 85 pounds, I know that it will be hard and I will have to change the amounts and types of food I eat to reach a healthy weight. I know that this is a life time commitment. But again I really thought the restriction was a done deal. And now that you have posted your comments I'm more at ease to see that some of you have gone thru this and some are going thru this "phase".

Iv'e actually gained back about 4 lbs total. I am going to schedule a fill for next week and I hope that I can hit that "sweet spot". Again thank you all and your stories really help. I feel better now.

Thank you, thank you....

keep sharing your thoughts.....