Please Help

I was banded on June 6 and I'm on liquids only, but I can't say that I been very good about it. I went to a gratuation party today and they had food. Food every were I had a piece of orange chicken when my husband wasn't looking. I don't know what got into me. I'm so disapointed in myself. I'm really scared now cuz I do not want to harm the band or strech my pouch. Also ( now that I'm being honest) two days ago my son was eating chicken nuggets and I had one. I chewed the hell out of it, but still I know that I shouldn't be doing that. Please help!!! Should I call Dr. Miranda? I can't believe that I couldn't stick to 21 days. I also noticed that I can eat more now and I'm hungry all the time. Is that normal? The first 10 days I had good restriction, but know I don't. I guess everything inside is healing and it's not swollon anymore. I need some advice and sorry so long.

Alexandra

Call Dr. Miranda if for nothing else, peace of mind.

You know what to do, we don't have to tell you. Yes, 3 weeks is tough. Really tough. Can you have cream soups yet? Campbell's cheddar and Pepper Jack cheese soups are divine and are very filling. Much better than broth.

Make sure to stock up on Popsicles and fudgesicles, Jello sugar free pudding and regular sugar free jello.

You can do it!

Jena

The first 21 days are very important to follow your Dr.'s instructions and Dr. Miranda's instructions. Your band area is very swollen, which is why the liquids. You can't reverse what you've done, so don't look back, and go full steam ahead. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Please watch Dr. Ortiz's youtube video, posted at the bottom section of the main forum page, under Doctor's Corner--Answers.

It isn't that you are swollen; it is that the band has just been stitched into the outside of your stomach, and the last thing you want to do is make your stomach expand and contract and move so the stitches tear loose. You won't necessarily feel the damage you are doing, but you are risking slippage and other complications.

I don't think you have to call Dr. Miranda unless you ate a large amount of chicken but even then there's not much she can do for you except tell you not to do it again.

I know the 21 days are hard because you are hungry and craving and just so sick and tired of creamy soup. Just don't do it again and protect that expensive pouch. I had weak moments especially when hubby was having steak but I would satisfy my craving by sticking my finger in the steak juice and tasting it, (very good) and sometimes pour the juice into my soup. I did that with a few other meals as long as its not solids I was ok with it. I also had a fudgesicle a day, creamy and yummy. I also got creative with my soups and made them spicy and add cheese slices and a bit of sour cream. anything to satisfy the taste buds.

Hang in there, you only have a bit over a week to go. B)

Hi Alli,

It's Barb, I got banded with you on the 6th and know how you are feeling! Sorry, I had computer prob and didn't get back sooner. I have lost most of my restriction too. And I am hungry, the food smells so wonderful...so I sniff at my husbands plate like a dog in heat...but do not eat. Last night I was really tempted to take a peice of hubbie's pork roast and suck all the juices out of. I didn't because I didn't trust myself to spit it out!

We still have some time left before we go off liquids and onto solids, it's marked on my calender with a huge star, so don't worry about the weight right now...now is time to heal. So next time you go anywhere bring LOTS of liquid yogurt, protien shakes and water with you. Don't let yourself get dehydrated or hungry. The diet will start after the first fill. Don't deprive your self of the things that you can have now.

I see that it does get better for others and it will for us too. Be kind to yourself, a day at a time honey. Treat yourself to something, anything that will take away the feeling of going without. I went to the movies all by self last week and will go again this week. Try a pedicure, etc... Relax, I met you and you are beautiful inside and out...let's do this together, let go of the guilt, we love you!

Barb

Hey Barb

Thank you very the kinds words Today is a new day I know I can do this, I just need to be honest and I had just a bad guilt trip that I couldn't sleep, but this morning I weighed my self and lost another 1 1/2 pounds and that reminded me that no solid food is worth my desire to be healthy and sexy. Thanks to everybody very your advice this will not happen again. That is a promise to myself. I am worth it!!!

You are so right Alli....you are worth it!! I too had a similar meltdown and am only 2 days ahead of you in being banded. If you look back on the posts you will read the havoc it created on this site so consider yourself lucky no one is being mean and blowing your situation out of proportion!!! You did the right thing by reaching out and although certainly not enabling you we who give you support only want what is best for you. I think a woman who has struggled with weight for any part of their life is so vulnerable and in no way needs negative feedback at any cost. We need to nurture each other and I give you that. Please read and reread the supportive statements posted and throw out anything that doesn't help you. Hang in ther but I know exactly how you feel ...I feel so deprived. Yesterday and last Friday at work they were celebrating a milestone for our department and catered in these beautiful subway 6 foot sandwiches with all the trimmings. I couldn't even go into the breakroom but had to pass through it a few times. It was torture and really made me cranky. I did suck on a pickle and boy did it make me sick!!!I sure won't do that again. Anyway we alll are only human and let's keep the focus and our goals in sight. We CAN DO THIS :wacko:

As others have said don't beat yourself up now. I wasn't perfect either. I remember chewing up a piece of cheese and then spitting it out because I was so sick of not having anything that tasted good.

Anita has good advice about reading the doctor's forum. That will scare you into submission, lol. Truthfully it is very hard but make sure you aren't eating the same soup day after day as that will kill your efforts because of boredom. I was making a cauliflower soup but it was "blended". I didn't realize at the time that was a no, no but you could dress up a legal one with some velveeta and sour cream as suggested. Try buying soups with some flavor and dress them up if you have to.

We're here for you!

Cheryl

I want to thank everybody for the support. I did talk to Dr.Miranda and she just said not to do it again and they would check my pouch when I go in for my first fill. I sure will not do that again.

I just got back from my post-op visit with my surgeon and he explained to me why we are on liquids and mushy foods for a month instead of solid food.

He said that it allows your stomach the time to let the band make a permanent imprint and heal the band into place, to avoid slippage or movement.

I know how difficult it is, I have 8 days post op and soup is getting kind of sickening, I need to spice them up a bit!! I don't want to chew and spit or become a chip licker, but if you have to do it to get through, lick anything you want but don't swallow it, it can cause damage to your stomach and your band.

Like Jena said, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back on track! It will be worth it and you are too!!

Cathy

Just one more week to go and you can eat...you are sooo lucky!

I was banded on June 10th here in Canada and I cannot eat solid food until July 11/08....creamy soups then mushy food for another 3 weeks, if I can do it, you can do!

You go girl!!!

Cathy

P.S. Cedartown, I am very proud of you!

I cheated too! I am not proud, but I started eating little bites really early. My brain told me I was hungry and that I needed to chew something! I did notice however that at 7 weeks I got my first fill and about 2 weeks later I had no restriction. It could be that my stomach was still swollen; maybe from eating too soon. Be careful, I drank milk shakes to curb my hunger pains and started on the creamy stuff early. That helped a lot. I figured a shake was better than eating at that point in the healing.

Good luck and try to stay as close to the diet as possible.

Must resist crushing urge to post!!!

Sit! Stay! Good Boy... :)