7 days Post-Op...having trouble sleeping...port pain

Hello everyone. I had my surgery last Thursday, June 12th in Houston. All is going well so far in my recovery, but I do have a couple of questions.

On average, how long before the shoulder/neck pain goes away?

Also, I'm a side sleeper, and I'm just wondering how long I'll be able to feel the port and will it always bother me to sleep on it?

I've managed to sleep on my right side mostly, but can't really get completely comfortable yet. Just want to know about how long it takes to sleep normally again?

I've enjoyed reading posts on this forum for awhile, and I'm glad to finally be a part of the team!

Denise

Hi Denise,

I had my surgery on the 10th in Mexico, Im still having trouble sleeping on my sides. But I put a pillow and the pain is not so bad. I never had shoulder or neck pain. So I couldnt help you on that sorry.

Sorry to hear you are in pain.

I was banded June 10th, the gas pain subsided about a few days, not to say that I don't still have gas, I definitely do, but it doesn't hurt anymore.

I slept for the first time on my side last night and was up 3 times to stretch. I was sleeping practically sitting up on about 7 pillows right after surgery and for a week, with the neck roll as a pillow and did just fine.

Feel better soon!

Cathy

I sleep on my left side so it was hard to get use to sleeping on my right. It took me about 2 weeks before feeling comfortable enough to sleep on the left. I used a pillow to hug and that helped. A pillow between your knees might also help. I was lucky and did not have any shoulder pain due to gas but did have regular gas especially after eating, walking did help a bit but mostly I would go to the bathroom. I still have some gas but its not as uncomfortable.

I could sleep on my left side about a week out. I sleep with a pillow between my knees and it does help take off some pressure. It was discussed on the forum awhile back about shoulder pain and what might cause it besides the gas. The pain from your stomach surgery, the band and the swelling, makes it seem like the pain is in your shoulder. I had my appendix[?] out in '06 and the Doc thought at first I had intestinal flu cause my pain should have been on my right side and it wasn't. Even though my appendix was inflamed, the pain was more to the center and left of my gut. I noticed after my banding, if I drank very cold drinks, my shoulder would hurt. If I drank warm or hot drinks, it didn't hurt. I think the cold was shrinking my pouch, tightening my band and causing my discomfort. [My thoughts, everyone's different] Good luck and best wishes!!! ><' Darlene

Thanks for the tips, ladies! I definitely use my pillow as if it's attached to my tummy at night! I guess I need to be a little more patient, as it's only been a week today.

I've been using the heating pad at night on my neck and shoulder and that seems to help too. My goal is not to use the pain meds any longer. I've also been cleared to start walking on the treadmill for 30 min/day beginning today. Maybe that will help loosen up some of the trapped gas and it will disappear!

Fingers crossed!

Denise

Hello everyone. I had my surgery last Thursday, June 12th in Houston. All is going well so far in my recovery, but I do have a couple of questions.

On average, how long before the shoulder/neck pain goes away?

Also, I'm a side sleeper, and I'm just wondering how long I'll be able to feel the port and will it always bother me to sleep on it?

I've managed to sleep on my right side mostly, but can't really get completely comfortable yet. Just want to know about how long it takes to sleep normally again?

I've enjoyed reading posts on this forum for awhile, and I'm glad to finally be a part of the team!

Denise

I had shoulder pain for about a week and it returns every now and again still. I was banded on June 9th. I had no issues sleeping at all on my left side and did from the very first night and still to this day. In fact, strangely I sleep way better now than I have in years. My port site is only tender to the touch. If I leave it alone it leaves me alone. I sit at a computer all day/all night so by the end of the day my port does kick up a bit of a fuss.

It took like a month before I could sleep flat on my stomach. I used a body pillow on the side of the port (it worked good when I was pregnant, too) and propped myself at a 45-degree angle for the pain ( I had it in my chest).

I have had no problem sleeping on my side mainly because the placement of my port, ( 2 inches left-centered and about 6 inches above the belly button.