Finally banded

I was finally banded on June 12 and gained four pounds because I was so bloated. I really suffered a lot with gas pains for the first week. Good news is that I'm down 14 pounds now. Drinking through a straw is definately a No No, it gave me automatic gas and shoulder pain.

Question: I seem to still have port pain. Is this common? Everytime I raise my arms the pain comes back. I know its only been two weeks but I am scared that maybe the port flipped. Has anyone experienced long term sensitivity in the port area and for how long? I still have minor shoulder pain and still seem to generate gas which is very hard to leave my body. By the way, I am HUNGRY!!!

It's great to hear from you! Congrats on your band!

The gas pains are normal, I still get them sometimes after I eat. Your port will take another 1-2 weeks to feel completely healed.

Yes, you are gonna be hungry until you get that first fill. Just try to drink extra water. Good luck!

I was finally banded on June 12 and gained four pounds because I was so bloated. I really suffered a lot with gas pains for the first week. Good news is that I'm down 14 pounds now. Drinking through a straw is definately a No No, it gave me automatic gas and shoulder pain.

Question: I seem to still have port pain. Is this common? Everytime I raise my arms the pain comes back. I know its only been two weeks but I am scared that maybe the port flipped. Has anyone experienced long term sensitivity in the port area and for how long? I still have minor shoulder pain and still seem to generate gas which is very hard to leave my body. By the way, I am HUNGRY!!!

Congratulations! I also gained some weight after surgery but then started losing about the 2nd week... Port pain is normal. It has been stitched to the muscle wall and also needs time to heal. I think I had pain for about 6 weeks. Now, I have no pain anywhere... unless one of my kids is driving me up the wall and then I have a pain in the you know where :ph34r: I digress...

If you are really concerned, you should be calling the dr. He and his staff is well trained and will be able to ask the right questions to ensure this is normal or not...

hth

Hi 2BAHottie,

I was banded on June 10th and the same thing happened to me the other night after drinking from a juice box...major gas bubble in my chest. I drank a warm cup of hot chocolate and it came up, big!!

I also have port site pain too...it takes 4-6 weeks for that discomfort to subside, from what I have been told. I am 2 weeks post op, you are almost there too...and still cannot sleep on that side and walk carefully to avoid straining. But it does go away, thank goodness.

I gained 7 lbs with the bloating from surgery and I am down that and 11 more. I can tell my body is starting to level off though, the weight loss seems to be slowing down a bit. My surgeon told me not to expect any weight loss before my fill. I was surprised at that, considering I am on a liquid diet for 4 weeks and then mushy food for two weeks (banded here in Canada, diet plan is different from OCC). I finally get solids on July 11th!!!

I am glad we have something in common, quite a few of us were banded that week and are experiencing similar symptoms, so you are not alone!

Take care and keep in touch,

Cathy

I had port pain which seemed to get worse around my third and fourth weeks. I am about 8 weeks out and do not feel it at all now.

My surgery was done on 3-25 and my port is still a little tender. I can feel it pretty easily, but it hurts a bit if I poke around too long. Everyone's different, but I wouldn't worry about a problem unless it's really red, hot and swollen. Make sure you call Doc if it does! :unsure: I emailed Dr. O about 2 weeks post op because I had a tugging pain in my port area, felt like tugging from INSIDE, and he emailed me back and said it was normal for the healing process and it would ease in a few days, which it did.

Try warm to hot drinks instead of icy ones. Cold drinks made my shoulder and collar bone area ache, warm or hot seemed to soothe the pain. Best wishes, Darlene