What to expect from the clinic staff??????

I'm new here. Went for my orientation to NewHope Bariatric Center in Mission, KS today. My daughter closed her store early, I was pre-registered, and off we went. Arrived there after an hour drive through rush-hour traffic and was met by three of the rudest people I have ever met (staff). People were literally "herded" into a conference room, their friends and families ordered to leave due to insufficient room. They didn't have my name on their pre-registration list (even though they'd sent me a confirmation by email). When one of the staff requested more chairs for the family and friends who had to wait outside, she was told by another staff member that they could "JUST STAND UP!". When I asked for another seminar date and told the snotty staff member that this wasn't being handled very efficiently or professionally, she informed me that Dr. Malley is a VERY busy surgeon, and that if I didn't have the patience to wait for an orientation that wasn't overcrowded, then I probably didn't have the patience to wait for my surgery!!! People were literally being treated like cattle, and I hadn't seen activity like this since I observed a cattle auction in Colorado.

So, the question is - how can I trust the doctor to be empathetic and competent when his staff treats his patients like farm animals???? Any suggestions as to where to go for DECENT treatment in Kansas City????

I know where to go for great treatment in Tijuana :)

I'm new here. Went for my orientation to NewHope Bariatric Center in Mission, KS today. My daughter closed her store early, I was pre-registered, and off we went. Arrived there after an hour drive through rush-hour traffic and was met by three of the rudest people I have ever met (staff). People were literally "herded" into a conference room, their friends and families ordered to leave due to insufficient room. They didn't have my name on their pre-registration list (even though they'd sent me a confirmation by email). When one of the staff requested more chairs for the family and friends who had to wait outside, she was told by another staff member that they could "JUST STAND UP!". When I asked for another seminar date and told the snotty staff member that this wasn't being handled very efficiently or professionally, she informed me that Dr. Malley is a VERY busy surgeon, and that if I didn't have the patience to wait for an orientation that wasn't overcrowded, then I probably didn't have the patience to wait for my surgery!!! People were literally being treated like cattle, and I hadn't seen activity like this since I observed a cattle auction in Colorado.

So, the question is - how can I trust the doctor to be empathetic and competent when his staff treats his patients like farm animals???? Any suggestions as to where to go for DECENT treatment in Kansas City????

:o You were a lot kinder than I would have been! The OCC sounds great! I wish I could have went there and saved me some $$$, but I was banded by a doctor in Houston, Texas...He is Awesome! but if you have to pay cash, I would say call the OCC....Good Luck! ;)

goodness gravy girl call the occ it is toll free and what do you have to lose [ besides weight ] lori was so nice to me over the phone and even talked to dr .ortiz about health problems over the phone that I thought might hold me back from getting the band and yes it was kinda scary for me to make the call but was glad I did . there is no way I would be put on a waiting list for surgery to be done a year or more from now yes I am from missouri . and I refuse to jump through hoops for something that I need you proably know the routine go to seminar ' book a consult' see a thearpist ' get theripist approval ' see a deitiecian ' go back for another consult ' then be put on a waiting list what a bunch of hog wash I called lori and dr ortiz said to come on down had time for the following month now that was a little to soon for me due to the fact that both my daughters are having babies soon and wouldn't miss that for the world but Lori said call when I am ready I was shocked no bull**** to go through well just a thought

If they treat you like that before the surgery, what about after? I sure wouldn't want that kind of care. Check out the OCC, it may be worth the expense of flying there. At least you are treated like a valued client and they are kind and understanding. I would recommend the OCC to anyone. They are great and supportive. You will hear very little negative comments about them...it is very unusual to see anything negative about them from anyone.

:angry: WOW I have some advice,,, DO USE THAT FACILITY!! You deserve much better.. Everyone there deserves better. I am sorry that you had to go through that,, but sister listen to us when we tell you to call OCC. I am not banded yet, but will be as of Tuesday. Dr. Ortiz was great on the phone for our consultation. He even gives out his cell phone for contact, you won't find that in the US.. Carolyn is wonderful,, I scheduled with her. I am excited to go and KNOW that I won't be mistreated. Good luck to you and please keep looking.. You must demand decent providers regardless if that provider is the Dr. or his staff!! XO Lisa~