Lump in my throat....help please

I saw where this question has been asked before but didn't see any answers really. So I am wondering if anyone asked their doctor about this and got an answer.

I am still on liquids and yesterday started to feel like I have a BIG lump in the back of my throat. If I was a man I would say the lump is where my Adams apple would be... All I had yesterday was 2 protein shakes, Capri sun, G2 Gatorade, and potato soup which was watery not thick at all. After eating that I felt this lump develope and went to sleep with this lump and woke up with the lump still there...It does not hurt or anything just ANNOYING! Anyone have a suggestion??

Hi there, how are you? Hope you are feeling better!

The lump means you are full. I spoke with the nurse at my clinic and she said the food is sitting in the small pouch waiting to go through, thick liquids like shakes and creamy soups will do this too. It's normal. I take small sips of water to help tolerate the lump. It's a good thing, it's your body's signal telling you that you are full.

I am 4 weeks post op tommorrow and still get it everytime I eat.

Take care and keep up the great work!

Cathy =D>

Hey Cathy, I am actually feeling like myself again except for this lump in my throat...

Thanks for answering my question.. So do you think I am stretching my pouch by having the food just sitting there? I mean this started last night and I woke up this morning and had a creamy soup at hand for breakfast and dont fill stuffed, ya know what I mean...

Just paranoid I did something wrong! AHHH I hate this feeling!

Try drinking some coffee or hot chocolate. It will hopefully make the lump go away. ><'

I know what you are feeling. Mine started about 1 week post op and is still here to some degree at 5.5 post op. It’s a maddening feeling, highly annoying!!! I emailed Dr Ortiz about many times. His conclusion was I was sensitive enough to feel my band in place; his suggestion was to leave it be and if it persisted for a long time then medication would be in order…I don’t know what kind. This sensation for me has slowly gotten better, or maybe I just don’t notice it as much any more but it is definitely still there, I deal with it every day…..I’ve read a few thread about similar situations which made me feel less stressed. You are not going to stretch your pouch while on liquids, the band isn’t meant to restrict your fluid intake...so drink away!!!! Hot liquids or really really cold liquids help a lot with the sensation. Good luck, I hope yours get better soon!!

Hey Trina, I'm still going thru this. I was also told that it was the band telling me I was full. I'm on solids now and if I dont chew propperly oh my what pain. As soon as the food goes thru i'm fine. You're going to be ok.

I tried the hot soup this morning and that didnt work so I think I am about about to make some hot mixed berry green tea and see if that helps at all.. I am not going to eat anything else but clear liquids until this feeling goes away incase it is my pouch that is full.

Thank you guys so much for making me feel better about this, good to know I am not alone.. I really could not sleep last night because this lump has me stressed out...

One more thing, I should be starting my period anytime now, do you think that could have anything to do with it??

Trina, is the lump in your throat or high in your chest between your breast bone? If your description is the adams apple area, I wouldn't think that was the pouch since the pouch is farther down, not in your throat. You could have scratched your throat and got a swollen lump from it, I have done that before. But, I wouldn't worry about a full pouch if you have gone over night and it is still there. It is probably just a throat irritation of some sort and you got swollen from it. Did you drink something too hot maybe and gave yourself a little burn? That might cause swelling. Just thinking aloud is all.

Hey Cathy, I am actually feeling like myself again except for this lump in my throat...

Thanks for answering my question.. So do you think I am stretching my pouch by having the food just sitting there? I mean this started last night and I woke up this morning and had a creamy soup at hand for breakfast and dont fill stuffed, ya know what I mean...

Just paranoid I did something wrong! AHHH I hate this feeling!

Don't worry about stretching your pouch, when you feel the twinge of fullness, stop eating. The lump is common and can last indefinitely...4 weeks later, Shrty835 and I still have it.

Take Kim's advice and try a warm drink, it helps me.

Take care, Cathy

Thanks Julie!

Cathy, you are crazy! lol

It honestly feels like I can stick my finger down my throat and pull it out... Its everytime I swallow.

Yes me too...but you do get used to it...I sip water and it helps or suck on a mint, that helps too!

I am not sure when it will go away, but for me it means restriction and after 4 weeks post op, that is rare and I will take it!!!

Have a great day!

Cathy

Yes me too...but you do get used to it...I sip water and it helps or suck on a mint, that helps too!

I am not sure when it will go away, but for me it means restriction and after 4 weeks post op, that is rare and I will take it!!!

Have a great day!

Cathy

Me toooooooooo

I think I found your answer:

Reflux - why we must avoid it

What is Reflux?

Reflux (GERD or Gasto-Esophageal Reflux Disease) is caustic stomach acid that comes back up into the esophagus, where it does not belong. The stomach has a protective lining that prevents this stomach acid from causing stomach damage, but no other tissue in the body has this protection. Any acid that contacts areas other than the stomach tissues easily causes damage.

Reflux causes ear infections, sinus infections, throat infections, new or worsening asthma, tooth decay, and if we inhale it at night when we wake up coughing and choking, it can cause a very bad aspiration pneumonia. Untreated reflux can also cause esophageal cancer, which is on the rise in the US.

What causes Reflux (GERD) before banding?

Many obese people have a hiatal hernia which causes reflux before banding. Most also have a damaged valve at the top of the stomach, called the LES (Lower Esophageal Sphincter) that is damaged from abdominal fat back-pressure. The valve does not close correctly, allowing stomach acid to back up into the esophagus. Many need surgery to repair the hernia, and/or acid-reducers to try to minimize the damage. Being very obese and having a hiatal hernia and it's associated health problems is one of the several conditions that is considered a "Co-morbidity" and a reason to get Band surgery.(NOT a reason it cannot be done)

With Band surgery, most of these hiatal hernias need to be repaired, since the hiatal hernia is just where the band must go. They are so routinely repared that the Band surgeons sometimes don't even tell us we had a hernia, but I believe we should know. It can make recovery bit more painful and lengthy. With known reflux before sugery, some band surgeons want a pre-op upper GI to evaluate the size of the hernia so they can better plan surgery.

Of those who had a hiatal hernia causing reflux before band surgery, about 76% are completely cured with Band Surgery. Another 14% see a huge improvement. A few see only moderate relief.

What about reflux (GERD) AFTER banding?

Reflux starting AFTER band surgery is another thing entirely, and with very different causes. Bandster reflux must be avoided., as it is harmful in a number of ways.

When reflux starts after a new fill, it almost always means the fill is TOO TIGHT and needs some fill removed. If we get back in very quicky before swelling and damage occurs, as little as 0.2 cc or so out will relieve the reflux. It is not enough to simply cover up reflux symptoms with medication - the CAUSE of the reflux must be found and fixed.

When new reflux starts that is NOT associated with a new fill, it is a sign of possible problems that must be checked out if it persists. First, though, be sure you're following the "Anti-reflux Guidelines for Bandsters", below. If new reflux persists despite these measures, we must consider a Band slip or pouch dilation as the cause and see our docs quickly for a fluoro and treatment.

ANY Bandster with a new ear infecton, sinus infection, new or worsening asthma, or pneumonia must consider reflux as the cause and discuss this possibility with family and band docs. Family docs often don't know about this connection. We must help them learn.

What are symptoms of reflux?

1. Chest burning or pain

2. Acid laryngitis. This is condition that includes hoarseness, dry cough, the sensation of having a lump in the throat and the need to repeatedly clear the throat.

3. Trouble swallowing (dysphagia). In severe cases, patients may even choke or food may become trapped in the esophagus, causing severe chest pain. This may indicate a temporary spasm that narrows the tube, or it could also be an indication of serious esophageal damage or abnormalities.

4.Chronic sore throat.

5.Persistent hiccups or burping .

6. Coughing and Respiratory Symptoms. Asthmatic symptoms like coughing and wheezing may occur. In fact, in one study, GERD alone accounted for 41.1% of cases of chronic cough in nonsmoking patients. The incidence was even higher when GERD and asthma were combined.

ANY new or worseing asthma in a Bandster should be very suspicious of reflux.

7. Chronic Nausea and Vomiting. Nausea that persists for weeks or even months and is not attributable to a common cause of stomach upset may be a symptom of acid reflux. In rare cases, vomiting can occur as often as once a day. All other causes of chronic nausea and vomiting should be ruled out, including ulcers, stomach cancer, obstruction, and pancreas or gallbladder disorders.

8. Acid or metallic tast in the mouth

9. Chronic or persistent ear or sunus infections

How can Bandsters prevent Reflux?

There are several standard things Bandsters should do to prevent reflux. Since some reflux cannot be felt and the damage is still occurring, these preventative things should be very routine for Bandsters. As we get tighter and tighter with fills, the guidelines will become even more important to heed.

1. never keep a too-tight fill, thinking it will get better in time. A too-tight fill is the #1 reason for ALL the serious band problems, including reflux. There is just NEVER any good that results from too-tight fill.

2. Don't eat solids within 2 hrs of bedtime. Anything in the pouch or stomach when we lay flat encourages reflux. Some people may not be able to eat solids within 3 hrs of bedtime.

3. If you nap during the day, use a recliner with your head higher than your belly. The gravity helps keep stomach acid where it belongs.

4. Take no meds within an hour of bedtime. Take them one hour before laying flat, with a full glass of water to wash them completely through

5. ONE hour before bedtime, have a full glass of water (only)., whether you take "bedtime" meds or not. This rinses out the pouch and dilutes the night's stomch acid.

6. Stay very well hydrated, so the normal stomach acid is not concentrated. For Bandsters, this means at least 80-100 oz a day of no-calorie fluids. Adequate fluids are essential for Bandsters for many other reasons too, including good weight loss, normal stools, less variation in restriction, and much more.

7. Some foods/fluids encourage reflux. If you have any reflux, minimize or avoid them:

Coffee, caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, citrus (including tomatoes, kiwi, strawberries, pineapple) , mint, greasy/spicy foods, onions, garlic, all carbonation. A cup or two of normal-strength coffee in the morning is ok for most people, especially if buffered with milk or creamer.

8. Avoid clothes that are tight around the waist, as this increases the stomach back-pressure that encourages reflux.

9.. Those with severe reflux who cannot get in at once for an unfill should raise the head of their bed 6 inches on blocks or books, or sleep in a recliner, until they see their docs. This will help prevent the asoiraton oneumonia comon if acid is inhaled into the lungs at night. Just adding extra pillows is NOT enough; the head of the flat bed must be raised.

10. Avoid NSAID use for more than 2-3 days maximum. NSAIDs are known to alter the protective lining of the stomach after about 3 days, and then stomach acid can damage the stomach. THis alteration of the potective lining CANNOT be prevented by simply washing the NSAID thru the pouch, and is the major damage NSAIDs cause in Bandsters. Some surgeons feel this is one of the causes of band erosions.

10..Some other medications also increase the risk of reflux. Look up all meds you are asked to take, and request ones wih the least risk of reflux and stomach irritation. A good place to look up medications is www.drugs.com . Take all meds correctly, as per special Bandster needs.

Acid-reducing Drugs

Some with persistent reflux despite all preventative measures must take regular acid-reducers like nexium, prilosec, or protonix. However, These are not without side effects, so should not be taken routinely, unless really needed. Side-effects include nausea, constipation,an diarrhea.

Many acid-reducers also interfere with medication and nutrient absorption, and used longterm, can cause nerve damage and B-12 deficiencies. Some wih kidney disease sould not take these meds (and many with diabetes have some degree of kidney disease even though routine tests may not show it)

Others on low-salt diers should also not take some acid-reducers.

As with ALL Bandster problems, PREVENTION of problems

is the key. It's much easier to prevent problems by following good bandster habits, than to try to pick up the pieces after we are already having trouble. With a good understanding of reflux an it's causes in bandsters, it is easy to prevent it and all the problems it causes.

Sandy Richards, BSN, MN

Band Educator

at goal 4.5 yrs

Great article MamaMichelle, but it's not acid reflux that's causing the lump in my throat, anyway.

My clinic's nurse advised it was a signal that my pouch is full. It goes away in an hour or two when the food moves to the larger stomach pouch.

I used to have acid reflux before banding, but haven't since, so I am crossing my fingers.

Cathy

I too have the lump feeling in the middle of my throat. I belive it is a gas bubble. I am unable to burp most of the time but when I can the lump goes away for a time. I am 8 weeks post op. I know it is not that I am full as it is constant no matter if I eat or not. Hope this helps

I too have the lump feeling in the middle of my throat. I belive it is a gas bubble. I am unable to burp most of the time but when I can the lump goes away for a time. I am 8 weeks post op. I know it is not that I am full as it is constant no matter if I eat or not. Hope this helps

Oh that's must be uncomfortable. Mine is not gas though, I burp and the lump remains. I have had gas bubbles and they are painful, this isn't, just a little annoying.

Cathy

I've been dealing w/ this "lump" in my throat for about 6 weeks now and am about 10 weeks post op. I personally don't believe it is restriction. I've gone on all clear liquids and have had the lump come back about mid morning. Nothing in my pouch at all, but the lump is there. I believe it is a form of reflux which I researched. But I think that tightness aggravates it. I've found that not eating before bed helps and I've been taking pepcid once a day. Worked well for a while until my time of the month, and then the tightness and restriction came back. I've had one fill and am going for a second soon. If it doesn't get better I will go for flouroscopy, but I do NOT think this is a restriction thing. Every thing I've read indicates it's reflux, and you don't have to be experiencing burning to have reflux, FYI. I hope we can all figure it out though, makes me feel better just to know I'm not the only one going through this.

BTW, this is listed as one of the side effects of banding surgery...unfortnately!