Heard back from Dr. Miranda about 1/2c of food

I emailed her because I was confused about the 1/2c of food per sitting as it says on our patient identification card. Here's what she wrote back.

Hello Ms Wyse:

The 1/2 cup was for the liquid diet so payients would not chug there

drinks is all.

Eat spinach every day

eat red meat once a week only

Fruit 2-3 pieces per day.

Dairy low fat 2 cups per day.

Grains (half of them must be whole)

make the fat monosaturated. 3-5 teaspoons a day max.

I guess its ok to eat more than the 1/2c, if our tummies allow it of course :D

So where does the protien come in? Dr Miranda gave me the food pyramid for a 9 year old boy. I wish she would be more specific on what is really important to get down. Once you are restricted you really cannot eat more than about 1/2 cup of food at a sitting. It is frustrating, and I know it would be really helpful for me to have better guidelines. At least what she gave you was a little more specific. She did say to eat salmon at least twice a week.

Wow, I don't nearly that much at all!

Some days I don't even get a fruit in??? I eat my protein, veggies and maybe a bit of grains, fruit sometimes in the morning, if I am still hungry after eating my cereal.

I don't think I could eat what he suggested and protein too...I can barely get in 1/2 cup cereal in the morning, lean cuisine for lunch and meat and veggies for dinner. I try not to snack, but if I need to..I will eat fruit or veggies.

That is very interesting!

Cathy :D

I will always try to get my protein in first and then veggies then starch, just like it was told to me originally. I haven't been eating my fruit so I guess I can have that for a snack. At this point I am hungry every 3 hours and need something to eat unfortunately a piece of fruit is not doing it at this time but I find that a little protein or cheese will keep me satisfied.

I know that a lot of us get mixed messages about the eating plan so maybe the clinic needs to come out with a plan on paper and hand it out with the paper work. Most of us are confused after the initial 3 weeks.

I will always try to get my protein in first and then veggies then starch, just like it was told to me originally. I haven't been eating my fruit so I guess I can have that for a snack. At this point I am hungry every 3 hours and need something to eat unfortunately a piece of fruit is not doing it at this time but I find that a little protein or cheese will keep me satisfied.

I know that a lot of us get mixed messages about the eating plan so maybe the clinic needs to come out with a plan on paper and hand it out with the paper work. Most of us are confused after the initial 3 weeks.

You are so right, plus they have been telling people different things. I do wish I could get something in writing. I am very confused and each time I ask Dr. Miranda I get a different answer. Now all of a sudden she is saying not to start with protein. I don't get it!!

Hello

Great topic. Okay I'm confused too. Perhaps I don't have the level of Restriction that I'm supposed to? SOMETIMES I can't eat cause it feels as though I've swallowed a golfball, but other times, no problem; I'm "wide open." It's hit or miss. Is it really true that some of you really can never eat more than 1/2 cup at a time? That would be wonderful. I've had two fills but maybe it's time for another appointment.

Diva I am the same way there is some times that I can eat just what ever and then there are times that two bites of something is it! :rolleyes: I have only had one fill and have scheduled to have my second one but can not get it done until Sept. 17th :wacko: I don't understand the one day being able to eat and the next maybe not being able to get but two bites in. I would love to know if anyone else has this problem and if so what is the deal anyone know? :)

I am still learning about restriction. Sometimes I feel like i have it and sometimes I don't. 2 of my friends that had lap band with me, can only eat about 6 bites and they are done. Not me.............last night I had 1/2 baked pork chop, a small helping of mashed potatoes and a small helping of corn. I was not able to finish all the corn, but .................

I have found something that works great for me when I am hungry. Beef Jerky. There are 70 calories in 1 ounce and 15 grams of protein. 1 ounce does not sound like alot, but it really is when it comes to beef jerky. Just have to make sure it is tender and chew it well.

I agree; specific written directions need to be written in a pamplet form, including all the "only meant for people still on liquids," and "you don't need to use the salad plate with protein>veggies>fruit>carbs for breakfast. Just a little banana or something...." There seem to be exceptions and lots of discrepancies with each communication. Even the section in his book by Dr. Miranda is not consistant. I love her.. she is a wealth of knowledge, but I just don't know what is what.

There are days that I never get past the protein to veggies or fruit. I can drink V-8 juice for the veggies, but I get only little bits of fruit here and there.

This is an area that needs to be addressed so that all of us are getting the same information.

IMHO

I definitely eat my protein 1st, then veggies, but most of the time that's it. I have trouble getting my fruit in as well. Protein fills me up, and keeps me full longer. I was not told anything either about the salmon or spinach or red meat only once a week.

This food issue has been my problem all along. Since my 2nd fill I really eat very little. I am actually going to the doctor today to discuss this issue and get some bloodwork done. I very rarely get hungry and I know I'm not eating enough. For example, last night I got down 1/2 of a 3 oz can of tuna, 1 teaspoon of cottage cheese and 2 slices of a tomato..for lunch I had a couple bites of steak and felt like it was stuck in my throat for hours afterwards. When this happens you can't even drink without getting sick to your stomach.

To get my fruit and dairy in is easy, I make a smoothie with Vanilla Soy milk and frozen peaches and mangoes, sometimes add a banana....delicious.

I've complained to Dr Miranda several times about the lack of consistancy and or any guidelines, to no avail.

Anxious to see how my bloodwork turns out, a little nervous about my nutririon.

Well by reading this, I guess I have stretched my band because I am still on the liquid post op diet and I DEFINITELY eat more then a 1/2 cup of soup at a time! This sucks for real!

Trina,

I never drank 1/2 cup soup at a time. It was always a full soup mug that I drank from. I'm sure the liquids haven't affected your pouch as they tend to drain consistently unlike solids which just sit and drain over time. Hope that helps.

Well by reading this, I guess I have stretched my band because I am still on the liquid post op diet and I DEFINITELY eat more then a 1/2 cup of soup at a time! This sucks for real!

On NO Trina liquids do not stretch your pouch, they go right through for sure. No worries!

Yes I agree the inconsistency is at best frustrating. As Paula asked I wish the OCC would print some CLEAR and CONSISTANT GUIDELINES that are all inclusive for each group of eaters. Maybe if more of us would email or call them or perhaps any moderator reading this could request this. It may take awhile but sure would be nice.

You're normal. You're going to worry every day for a month that you've completely screwed up. You're going to Google "lap band slip" and realize that you don't have those symptoms.

Your band and your pouch haven't stretched, but you'll freak out a little every day worrying that you did until one day -- on solids -- you have a kind of new version of "oh, this must be sort of what restriction feels like, maybe"

You haven't eaten a whole pizza and washed it down with a pitcher of beer ;-0 like you've seen college boys do.

When you're on solids, before your first fill, you'll have one piece of pizza, no beer and think, "wow, that's it, I can't eat two."

(I've only been on solids since the 7th, I felt exactly the same way)

Yep.. what Jann and Julie said. You are on liquids.. you cannot stretch your pouch as they all run straight through.

Just got back from doctor appointment, had complete blood work to make sure all is well with nutririon, etc. While there, the PA pulled up a great site and made me a copy of some eating examples for post-op.

Go to obesityhelp.com and search diet, nutrition & exercise.

they have good food choices, foods to avoid & common problems.

I think this site will help me alot.

also check out obesitylapbandsurgery.com/diet.html

We're all smart ....we can do this.

The best news was that my home scale is off......I weighed 6 pounds less at the doctors office. YES!!!!!!