Not feeling the best

Hi guys and gals:

Just a quick post to update you on my 1st fill. Today is day 4 or 5 however you look at it since on last thursday and friday they checked and filled my port. Anyway I know I probably have swelling and was told to stay on liquids for 3 days or until after Sunday. Yesterday I tried to eat 1-2 bites of some soft chicken and it hurt all the way. Started to PB at work. YUK!! I waited for about 4 hours and then ate 3 cherries. Yes I chewed them up very well but again the Pbing started. Not radical but enough to not feel good and be in the bathroom for about 10-15 minutes. I havn't had much water the last few days and feel like I am getting dehydrated. I have a headache, my blood sugar is suprisingly HIGH (usually happens with illness, stress stec) and I have to go to work in an hour!! I am hoping its just some extra swelling and am going to say on liquids only today for sure. I've got to get more fluid in but it also hurts now going down. AAAAAGGGH! Just wanted to whine a little, now I feel better. It's so funny how we all want this "restriction" but then at first when we have it it's very difficult, at least for me, to be ok with it.

Any Ideas or suggestions as to how to get the fluids in besides going in the bathroom at work and starting my own IV? Just kidding , there's no way I could hit my own tiny veins anyway if I tried!! I think I am still ok but just need to start sipping on the gatorade as much as I can.

Hi guys and gals:

Just a quick post to update you on my 1st fill. Today is day 4 or 5 however you look at it since on last thursday and friday they checked and filled my port. Anyway I know I probably have swelling and was told to stay on liquids for 3 days or until after Sunday. Yesterday I tried to eat 1-2 bites of some soft chicken and it hurt all the way. Started to PB at work. YUK!! I waited for about 4 hours and then ate 3 cherries. Yes I chewed them up very well but again the Pbing started. Not radical but enough to not feel good and be in the bathroom for about 10-15 minutes. I havn't had much water the last few days and feel like I am getting dehydrated. I have a headache, my blood sugar is suprisingly HIGH (usually happens with illness, stress stec) and I have to go to work in an hour!! I am hoping its just some extra swelling and am going to say on liquids only today for sure. I've got to get more fluid in but it also hurts now going down. AAAAAGGGH! Just wanted to whine a little, now I feel better. It's so funny how we all want this "restriction" but then at first when we have it it's very difficult, at least for me, to be ok with it.

Any Ideas or suggestions as to how to get the fluids in besides going in the bathroom at work and starting my own IV? Just kidding , there's no way I could hit my own tiny veins anyway if I tried!! I think I am still ok but just need to start sipping on the gatorade as much as I can.

You poor thing. I am worried about you. I have not been there yet as you know but I would attempt to take little sips of gaterade. You have got to get something in there. If you need anything please contact me. Do you think you are over filled? That would make me wonder.

You poor thing! I haven't experienced anything like that yet, but it sounds like you are too full. Call the OCC and see what they say. You should be able to keep some solids down by now.

Are you able to do the liquids okay? I got my 3rd fill done on the same day that you had yours. I have really good restriction now, but have also had a few PB-ing episodes where I haven't chewed enough or tried to eat too fast, but my liquids are staying down and I can eat mushies okay. I would definitely check in with OCC and see what they would recommend. My band is very "fickle" anyways and a lot of things set it off! I am slowly learning what will stay down and what won't. I have problems with chicken all the time, but some days I can handle it. It can be very frustrating (and embarrassing) at times. If I eat out in public I have to be very, very careful or I will have to run to the bathroom....was really bad the other day when there was a line at the ballpark! I made the mistake of grabbing 3 french fries from my hubby's order....that was my own stupidity....I was in a hurry and you guessed it, I PB'd and had a mouthful and got down to the restroom and there was a line! I was turning green and totally grossed out and ended up spitting it up in the garbage can in front of everyone waiting....that was lovely! Glad I won't ever see those people again! LOL!

Hey Julie sorry to hear you are having a tough time. I was wondering how much they put in your band and is it the 4 or 10 cc one? I go for my first fill on Friday and am kind of concerned now.

Cheryl

There's always a break in period after I get a fill where I have to re-learn how to eat and what to eat. This could be what you're experiencing and cherries can surely be trouble what with the skins. Sounds like you irritated something with your last pb episode though and now you're sore and swollen. Go on liquids and soft foods for a few days and see if that helps. However if you can't get your liquids in then that's an emergency situation as its very easy to become dehydrated. Just sip sip sip all day as much as possible. Take it slow and steady and when you're feeling better and ready to start solids again be very aware of what's going into your mouth. If you can't "chew to goo" it's probably going to give you problems.

If after being on liquids for a few days you're still sore or pb'ing more than three times a week, then you're probably too tight and need an unfill.

Julie,

The cherries could have done it. I had a PB episode on the skin of a sliced pickle! Some of the fruits and veggies skin is so fibrous that you are not able to break it down, therefore it causes blockage. Just be careful next time! It's all a learning process right? ;)

You could be right Evette...I find skin on anything won't go down. Peel first!!!

Also, they told me to drink warm things for the first 24 hours or until I could tolorate something cold. The warm is supose to help with swelling. I hope you feel some relief.

Hi Julie and all,

I just got my first fill Fri also, only here in Portland by Dr. Kelly Fitzpatrick who was referred to me by Dr. Ortiz. She was great! Gave me a 1.7 fill with instructions to call her on her cell phone any time I felt too much restriction like you are describing Julie and pointed out it is dangerous and not to tell myself to just work thru it. She was really emphatic about that! Soooo, I did the liquid 1st day, soft next day then 3rd day, 3 regular meals followed by ice cream cones, cookies etc and I thought, oh this is just not working for me! But the next day was a whole different story! I have not been able to eat like I used to ever since. I get the small portion that we are told we are supposed to eat and then I push it and start PB-ing. I have had to PB after every meal but it is because I'm trying to get more in than I'm supposed to and not used to limiting myself. Between meals, I am able to get liquids down. Not in gulps like I use to but reasonable sips. If I PB, I dare not try and follow it with liquid; it just all backs up. In the morning and eves, I sip on hot mint green tea and it is very soothing. I used to be a die hard coffee person and hardly drink it much at all; I've fallen in love with mint green tea totally and chill the leftover, spritz it with lemon or lime, sweeten with stevia and either add 1/2 juice or plain with ice and sip it thru the day instead of plain water as it is much more delicious. Well, I'm trying to learn what foods, how much I can eat that feel satisfying and don't get stuck or cause me to PB. Any suggestions are welcome; Oh, Dr. Kelly did say "and no ice cream diets" (I did think of that lol) your lap band buddy, Sufina

Thanks all for your well wishes. By last night I was doing better. I drank a fair amount of gatorade and protein water. I had soup and some watermelon for late dinner. Just about 1/2 cup total was all though and I was full for sure. I think I may be like some of you who's band is tighter in the AM and eases by the evening. I hope this restriction lasts now that I feel better. This Am I took my pills with a few sips of juice and still feel them almost 1 hour later. It's so weird. It didn't hurt though I just feel full!! So I think I am going to be ok, just must be very careful. Now is when the food choices are extremely important so I get some energy back. I am so tired!! I can't take my usual vitamins and never did try any liquid ones. Hopefully a few more days and I'll be able to try them. If not I may have to resort to some liquids though.

Julie, I was feeling tired too and the Dr. put me on Vitamin B 12. It seems that did the trick, so you might want to have that checked at some point if you continue to feel tired.

Donna

Hi Julie and all,

I just got my first fill Fri also, only here in Portland by Dr. Kelly Fitzpatrick who was referred to me by Dr. Ortiz. She was great! Gave me a 1.7 fill with instructions to call her on her cell phone any time I felt too much restriction like you are describing Julie and pointed out it is dangerous and not to tell myself to just work thru it. She was really emphatic about that! Soooo, I did the liquid 1st day, soft next day then 3rd day, 3 regular meals followed by ice cream cones, cookies etc and I thought, oh this is just not working for me! But the next day was a whole different story! I have not been able to eat like I used to ever since. I get the small portion that we are told we are supposed to eat and then I push it and start PB-ing. I have had to PB after every meal but it is because I'm trying to get more in than I'm supposed to and not used to limiting myself. Between meals, I am able to get liquids down. Not in gulps like I use to but reasonable sips. If I PB, I dare not try and follow it with liquid; it just all backs up. In the morning and eves, I sip on hot mint green tea and it is very soothing. I used to be a die hard coffee person and hardly drink it much at all; I've fallen in love with mint green tea totally and chill the leftover, spritz it with lemon or lime, sweeten with stevia and either add 1/2 juice or plain with ice and sip it thru the day instead of plain water as it is much more delicious. Well, I'm trying to learn what foods, how much I can eat that feel satisfying and don't get stuck or cause me to PB. Any suggestions are welcome; Oh, Dr. Kelly did say "and no ice cream diets" (I did think of that lol) your lap band buddy, Sufina

Julie,

Hope you are doing well. I was wondering how much of a fill did you get and did you have it done with floro?

Hi Julie and all,

Hi Sufina

I was thinking about going to Dr. Fitzpatrick too but I was wondering does she use floro?

Julie,

Hope you are doing well. I was wondering how much of a fill did you get and did you have it done with floro?

Thanks. I got 1.8 cc in a 4 cc band. I went to the OCC and they use fluoro, that's why I went. I have heard good things about Dr. Fitzpatrick also and she does NOT use fluoro. If $$$$ is an issue for me next fill I may try her. My friend goes to her and is very happy. She always has hit her port 1st poke and is very available if you have problems.

Are you in PDX or close? I was thinking the PDX and surrounding bandsters should have a get together. Anyone interested?

Maybe I'll post a new thread and inquire if anyone is interested. I'd love to actually meet some other people here in town to use as another support system.

Thanks. I got 1.8 cc in a 4 cc band. I went to the OCC and they use fluoro, that's why I went. I have heard good things about Dr. Fitzpatrick also and she does NOT use fluoro. If $$$$ is an issue for me next fill I may try her. My friend goes to her and is very happy. She always has hit her port 1st poke and is very available if you have problems.

Are you in PDX or close? I was thinking the PDX and surrounding bandsters should have a get together. Anyone interested?

Maybe I'll post a new thread and inquire if anyone is interested. I'd love to actually meet some other people here in town to use as another support system.

Hey Julie,

I am going for my first fill on August 15 at the brand new fill center usa in Boise Id. I am the first one to get my fill at that center with floro on their training day.. I am sooo excited. I am getting a great deal and I just have to drive 8 hours.

I live in Eugene/ Springfield area about 2 hours from Portland. I would love to get together with all the Portland and surrounding area bandsters!! That would be so much fun!!

Celia

Hey Julie,

I am going for my first fill on August 15 at the brand new fill center usa in Boise Id. I am the first one to get my fill at that center with floro on their training day.. I am sooo excited. I am getting a great deal and I just have to drive 8 hours.

I live in Eugene/ Springfield area about 2 hours from Portland. I would love to get together with all the Portland and surrounding area bandsters!! That would be so much fun!!

Celia

Good for you. I'll be curious how this goes for you. The fluoro will make it easy even for "training" so no worries!!

I'm on the fly now to work but will start a thread soon about some sort of local get together. Perhaps this fall after school starts but before the holiday season begins as I know people get busy. :good3:

Good for you. I'll be curious how this goes for you. The fluoro will make it easy even for "training" so no worries!!

I'm on the fly now to work but will start a thread soon about some sort of local get together. Perhaps this fall after school starts but before the holiday season begins as I know people get busy. :good3:

Can I come? I am not a bandster yet but soon hope to be...