Is your band a secret?

I got to thinking today and was wondering how many people keep their band a secret?

Sometimes I tell people in the checkout line at Walmart. LOL (It's a Southern thing..we would talk to a brick wall) I feel like I need to tell the world. ;)

I do see how some people can be hurtful though and I would see why you would keep it a secret.

So far everyone has been really open and helpful with my new habits.

Guest sdejong

Oh my gosh, Yes it is a secret.... The day I got home we went on a family camping trip and my nurse aunt & uncle were both there. I worked really hard to put on like nothing was wrong, I think I did pretty good. At work (teaching) there is another teacher that had Gastric Bypass and when the ladies found out they gossiped every time she walked by... I guess I feel like this is none of their business. I am proud of you for being able to tell people but it just isn't for me.

shy

Not at all, and I know other people who have either gotten banded or are seriously considering it after watching me go through it. But then I'm pretty un-embaressable and if anyone wants to debate the topic with me I'm happy to take them on.

I have only told those who are my biggest supporters and would never judge me or be a watchdog. I have educated them on how the band works and they are my biggest fans. I have told very few family members, my Mom and my brother (not my sister...she would be judgemental). I have told my sister-in-law and my neice on my husband's side and that's it. Everyone else has no clue and if they suspect...I am back on Weight Watchers.

I don't want people to keep asking me how much weight have I lost...let me be the one to share...so far so good!!!

I have told no one but my husband, and it'll be 2 years in September. Some times have been hard, but I've managed to get by. My mom has been suspicious once in a while of my eating, but I can be such a good liar when I need to!! I lost about 80 lbs 6 years ago after I had my son, so I am guessing anyone who has noticed my loss thus far, since my daughter was born in March, just assume I am doing what I did before. The only person who has actually been all over me is my neighbor, who is super nice, every time I see her she goes on and on about what am I doing, how much have I lost, how so quick? etc.... I guess I just figure it's nobody's business but mine. Plus, no one but my mom in all of my close family, and extended family, is overweight or has ever had food issues. So my guess is they'd be pretty damn judgmental!!

I haven't kept it a secret. I'd never be able to remember who I told and who I didn't. :blink: Most people are supportive.

The gossips will gossip. My "cares what the mean gossipers say" gene broke sometime around age 35 :P

I've done nothing, weight wise, but hold steady since starting solids.

Everybody and their Grandma knows!! And I wouldn't change that for anything! I love the encouragement I get from everyone!

I have told everyone and even complete strangers. Well except for my mother-inlaw. (No explanation needed) I mostly get great support. Even the people that thought I was crazy at first have been supportive since.

;) I wouldn't really call it a secret for me. If someone asks how I have been losing weight I tell them, other than that I don't go shouting it off the roof tops. But we all know if you really want something known, you just need to tell that 1 person who will spread it for you. There's one in every crowd. :lol:

Yes, I have kept it a secret. I only told my immediate family. I am a really private person anyway, but I really wanted to keep this private because I know how people can be. I work with a lot of women and they can be very catty, so for me, it was a better decision to keep it secret. It didn't hurt that I lost 34 pounds before being banded. Everyone knew I was watching what I ate and working out regularly before I went out on "medical leave". :)

Everyone knows about my band, including the FedEx, UPS and DHL guys that deliver to my office.

I told just about everybody that I know and apparently they told people they don't even know by name ;)

Maybe it IS a southern thing...I told pretty much everyone I know (and some strangers), too! Mostly it has been a good experience and a friend of my moms is now considering the surgery because of having a "real person" who she knows to talk to about it. Of course, some days I get tired of having to answer to how many pounds I've lost so far, but whether it's being curious, supportive, gossipy, whatever, I don't care the askers motivation. I just didn't want to have to walk around with the psychological weight of a secret because, for my personality, that is a very difficult thing to do.

I haven't told anyone, and I am pretty southern (born in GA raised in TX) but all of our family is back in Dallas so they haven't seen me since I've lost my weight, but they know I am losing...

I plan to tell my mom and dad after the Oprah show re-airs on Aug 11th (going to have them Tivo it since I will be telling them over the phone that way they have some visiual clue to what the band is)

I have a few friends in Vegas but no one close enough that I feel comfortable enough sharing with them, I have told a few semi-strangers, my zumba teacher and 2 of my clients (all of them are overweight) but that is about it...

I see overweight people and think to myself I should tell them there is a way to change, but then I think if someone told me that back at 247 I would have been pretty pissed so I stay silent.

It's a secret. Only ones that know are hubby, friend (accompanied me to surgery), mother-in-law (banded 9 days before me) and of course all of you! I am a essentially a private person, and feel more comfortable keeping it to myself.

It has been a little difficult around my family. They all probably think I have an eating disorder.....

I've kept it a secret...

so far!

My mom and dad want me to tell people, but I know that people will be judgemental, just like they were w/ a friend who had RNY.

Plus people will say I didn't lose the weight myself, the band did it for me. Which is not true, as everyone on this forum can attest to. It is a tool, and I am working hard to follow the rules.

My parents do have a valid point... What do you say to people down the road if you come clean? (I had to lie about the "vacation" and where I went) :dash2:

I have only told my husband and my son who was banded 4 months before me.

I like it that way.

I've tried so hard to keep it a secret but the people at work caught on when I was only having liquids for breakfast and lunch. :( My appointment isn't for another month but I'm so giddy with excitement that they can tell something is up .... so I spilled the beans. I work with Dr's & nurses and they have all been wonderful and have given me great advice .... I've kept it from my friends but my immediate family knows -- not until its all said and done do I want to let everyone know.

Alana :)

The only people who know about my band are my husband, my work buddy because we were banded together and one other person at work. My band buddy is actually my supervisor and since I'm her right hand person, we needed to get clearance to be out at the same time from her supervisor. My band buddy told all her family, but no outsiders. She has lost over 60 lbs and looks fantastic!

As most of you said, people would be judgemental OR worse yet feel like we took the easy way out. But I know we can all atest to the fact that if we allowed ourselves, we could still gain weight by eating around the band or by not getting fills and falling back into our old eating habits or deciding exercise just isn't for us. We still make the choice every single day to live healthier.

When I first started my pre-op liquid diet, there was someone at work who also wanted to do liquids and thought she could handle it. I've done liquids before and you need determination to stick with it. After just a couple of weeks, this co-worker caved and eats whatever she wants. She gained back the 20 lbs she lost, plus more. I felt bad for her because I know how badly she wants to lose weight, but I got over that when I overheard her say how crazy I was for staying on liquid. She even made a point of boasting how SHE could eat all the foods she loved, while I couldn't. Occasionally she will wave some high cholesterol, high calorie, fat filled food under my nose to tempt me. I am eating at this stage...I'd better be or my fill doctor would be pissed.

NOPE, I've decided, this thing I did for myself is my little secret. My husband had no issues with the way I was before, but I can tell he's liking what he sees now!

Barb

My hubby knows, he went with me to TJ. A friend in another state knows too. I find that the people who know you can ask lot's of personal questions about money etc... and will always find ways to judge you for your sucess or when you fail. So tell the ones that you know you can trust to support you. This forum is my life line.

I had my first fill last Friday, I haven't lost a pound in about a month, before surgery and on the liquid phase I lost 25 pound and was telling people (strangers with ears) about the band. I was so excited. The restrction mad me feel powerful. The lack of weight lose now has humbled me into not telling. I am ashamed that I have not lost any more weight in such a long time. I am exercising and eating right, I am getting my hormones checked tomorrow, I hope that will be the answer to my stand still. I don't blame the band and strongly believe that I will get to my goal, I wasn't prepared for any set backs, I thought that as long as I did what Iwas doing, the weight would continue to melt off and I would stay excited and motivated.

EVERYONE i know, Knows...I was sooooo excited to be getting the band, I told everyone! Everyone is so supportive and encouraging! ;)

Mine is a half-secret. Before the surgery only my immediate family, my boss, my roommate, and boyfriend knew. After, I told a few more members of my family (definitely not everyone) and a few co-workers I'm close with. Other than that, I don't make a point to bring it up, but sometimes it just slips out! My neighbor noticed something different about me and I just blurted it out! I think I'm afraid people will be judgemental, but I've not encountered a single one. I'm starting to not care so much about people knowing.

My best friend was banded by Dr. O about a year ago. She did not tell me about her band until I brought up that I was looking into it. I remember thinking how strange her eating habits were over the past year, but I was very proud of her for losing 50 pounds. Her journey really helped me see that I can do this too. I could not believe how well she kept that secret!!!

For me, I have told my 2 managers & the Human resources person since I am going on medical leave for this. My husband, brother, 1 co-worker & band buddy all know. I have spontaneous urges to blurt it out to anyone I am talking to. I really, really want to tell everyone, but I have the fear of being judged.

I'll only tell when I reach my goal weight! that's why my profile is faceless on this and other sites. Are you kidding me? they'll totally freak out! (my family). They all think losing weight is as easy as GET TO THE GYM AND STOP EATING! But again, I was the fattest pig in my family