what about exercise

I am very interested in finding out how you all exercise .I know that the lap band is a tool but exercise is a must too .I am over 100lbs over weight and can barely walk a block without being out of breath .I do not know if I can exercise .I would love to aquacise however I am way to concerned about showing my body in a swimsuit in public . I also would love to take my bike for a whirl but could not get out of the drive without being winded .So how can I think of exercise when I am in such poor shape .any suggestion would be helpful .Did you all wait till some of the weight came off to start to exercise ?

I just bought a Leg Magic (you can find them at QVC/Walmart) from the Canadian Shopping Channel, I also bought Aeorbic balls to exercise my arms, I already had a Body Flex bar for arms, legs and abs.

About an hour after dinner, I work out on the Leg Magic (DVD comes with it) and the Aerobic balls (DVD comes with it) for my legs and arms, no ab work until Sept 10th (3 months post op).

I am working hard to avoid getting hanging skin on my legs, butt and arms (need to get rid of the wings). I am not comfortable going to a gym (they are full of skinny people), so I chose to exercise at home.

I also have a Gazelle (moves like cross country skiiing) in my rec room...this weekend I plan to set up a little home gym downstairs and step it up a notch.

Aquacise/Aquafit is a great idea!

walking is an excellent way to start. Start small and increase by 5 minutes every week. Soon you will be going farther than you imagined.

:lb11:

Leslie Sansone has some wonderful short walking exercise programs that are very easy to follow. Just slip in the DVD and follow along in the privacy of your own home. Google her for her website or look in Walmart if it's something that would interest you.

I have a Gazelle just like Kittycat. I hate to go to gyms. I also started very slowly with walking, and built up. I now walk 4 miles a day when the weather permits, or stay home and do the Gazelle. I lift weights every other day, and then do Sweatn to the Oldies. Anyone remember that? Just get started doing anything to get moving, as time goes by it does get easier, and fun.

Netflix has a HUGE selection of exercise DVD's that you can rent, you can do a search for a beginners program in whatever intersests you (sweating to the oldies, jazzercise, belly dancing, yoga or whatever) this way you can do try the workouts at home (no gym membership needed) and you can keep the DVD as long as it's enjoyable and then change up your routine as you get in better shape!!

Hi all,

I hate to exercise and I knew this would be a big problem for me when I got my lap band. I have a sit down desk job and that doesn't help either. Like most of you the thought of going to a gym totally turns me off, who wants to compete with a bunch of hard body skinny minnies - my self esteem is already deep in the toilet.

I used to like to walk, a few years ago I did the Avon 3 Day with no problems, but for some reason I just can't get into it. I'm not a morning person, so there's no getting up early to walk and by the time I come home at night I have absolutely no energy. I know this is all a big cop out, I just need to get motivated!

Well back in the day, I had (and probably still do have thenm somewhere in the house) Sweatin to the Oldies and I thought at the time that they were a blast! I went hunting around on the internet to find some sort of dance exercise videos and I came across a new form of aerobic dance form called Zumba and I guess there's even "zumba" classes now at some of the gyms. Well I found a good deal on a four cd pack of a Zumba exercise program on ebay and I went ahead and bought it - I haven't received it yet, but I'm actually getting excited about it. It's all based on Latin rythms and I love Latin music anyway, so I'm really hoping this will do the trick for me.

I'll let you know how it works out for me.

Have a great evening everyone!

I do water aerobics at a fitness club, but when I can't get there I walk my puppy (this was a great reason to get my new puppy!) She loves the walks and I train her as I go. I have even been running (yes running) with her for short bursts and it actually feels good. I really hate to exercise, but it is something that I have to do every day. They also have Mall Walking clubs in most malls prior to opening the stores and that works well in bad weather. Usually there are a lot of people walking the malls then and it is a great way to make new friends.

I love Zumba! I take it periodically at the gym with a few girlfriends, and it's a great workout and you have a blast at the same time. I've been known to burn over 700 calories in a 50-min session! Next to spinning class, that is the best bang for your buck in time/calories, for me anyway. I don't like to spend enormous amounts of time at the gym. I like to get in and get out.

I highly recommend at least trying Zumba.

Denise

I love Zumba too!

I did my first class 2 weeks ago my local Rec center with 5 others that had never tried it before... So when the class was over the teacher came over to me and asked if I had done Zumba before or if I had any of the videos, when I said no she told me that I should really consider getting certified to teach it, that I have a natural talent for latin dance... Of course I was a dancer/cheerleader so I have good body control and can pick up steps but I'm as white as white girls come.. lol

Anyways it was very flattering for her to say so and it was a nice workout! Maybe I'll look into the certification and I can teach a Zumba workout at Band Camp 2009!

Wii Fit!!! :D It keeps track of my progress and gets me off the couch! :)

I love Wii Fit. Because I can't work my core 'til August 9th I've just been using it for weighing, bmi, and early balance. It's a fun way to get some exercise in for sure!