What are the first days like?

I was reading someones blog and they said the day after they felt like they had a lot of saliva that they had in their mouth and they felt like it was almost like morning sickness. :o Man that freaks me out. I had morning sickness for 8 months. I dont want that again. So tell me, what are the first days like and how long until you feel like you are somewhat normal? What can I expect? I also read that someone had a hard time breathing, like there was pressure on their chest. Is that normal? Any info would be helpful, I want to be prepared.

Guest sdejong

I felt fabulous.... I didn't have any of the shoulder pain from gas. I spent the next day shopping and just spending time with my family...

Shy

i'm on day 6 and it's not nearly as bad as you fear :) went back to the hotel same night. incisions are tender for a number of days, port is tender also. up until yesterday i felt very bloated. for the first 2 days i'd get some sharp gas bubbles in the chest but they go quickly... don't do salty bouillon broth that causes even more bloat! warm peppermint tea seems to be everyone's favorite for the gas and bloat. i didn't have any shoulder pain, nor did any of my fellow bandsters from that day... we all felt bubbles in the chest. no saliva from me at all and certainly not a morning sickness feeling. move slowly and take it easy for a few days... it's surgery!

you'll be fine :)

I was reading someones blog and they said the day after they felt like they had a lot of saliva that they had in their mouth and they felt like it was almost like morning sickness. :o Man that freaks me out. I had morning sickness for 8 months. I dont want that again. So tell me, what are the first days like and how long until you feel like you are somewhat normal? What can I expect? I also read that someone had a hard time breathing, like there was pressure on their chest. Is that normal? Any info would be helpful, I want to be prepared.

I didn't have any of that. I slept well the night after surgery including sleeping on the port side and continuing on to this day. I pretty much walked normally from day one. Had gas for a long bit but it finally went away. I was crazy bloated for three weeks and my belly was distended and hard to the touch. That's gone too. I haven't had any port pain but my largest incision was very unhappy for a long time and still hasn't healed. I'm going to have the doctor here look at it as that's a trifle long. (banded June 9th) It's still red and sore to the touch. All the rest are completely healed and fine. I can honestly say I don't have any complaints and I'm very happy with the results! Hope that helps!

I felt bloated in the stomach and that was it. No pain, no incision pain, no throat or chest pain, none. Follow the rules and you will be fine. That is, walk A LOT and sip liquids A LOT!

I came back to the hotel 4 hours after surgery and did just fine. Out on Revolution Avenue shopping the next day. It really is a very easy surgery. And for me, I never needed a pain pill at all. I felt great, except for the bloating in my stomach.

I was tired and sore in the port area...I move pretty slow for a few days and really didn't feel like drinking much, but you need to, to keep up your strength and avoid dehydration.

Gas pains subsided after 3-4 days...the shoulder pain is the worst and subsided after a day. By day 4, I was feeling alot better and returned to work on day 6.

Everyone recovers at different rates and stages...some were up and shopping the next day, some down for 3-4 days, it depends on you and how quickly you recover.

The time flies by so fast, if you blink it's over and done with. I have been banded for almost 7 weeks now and it's a blurrr, even though June 10th was not that long ago.

I feel amazing now, down 35 lbs, my breathing has improved and I have more energy...my sciatica (radiating back pain) is almost gone and I am starting to exercise more. Life is good!

Excellent. I am not a fast healer so this helps me out alot. I took an extra day off from work so hopefully when we get it done on that Friday I will be ok to be back to work by Tuesday. That is the plan anyway.

The first couple of days I felt fine - just a little soreness. Once I got home Sunday night, I dealt with quite a bit of nausea for the next week or so. It went away, but every once in a while it will come back. I've never been one to get motion sickness or be like that, so I'm pretty sure mine is band-related. I'm almost 3 months post op. It's not bad though - of all the side effects, I'd rather have this one than shoulder pain or bad gas! I was lucky to not really have a problem with those. Although I do fart and burp a lot more than I used to, lol.

I work with a 60 year old woman who had the band here in the states. She went in on a friday and was back to work monday morning. If she can handle going back to work on day three I figure I can handle any of it with no problem.

Leaving for bandland sunday!!

I couldn't believe how great I felt. I was a little more sleepy than normal for 2 days but I just napped a bit which was great. I had no pain at all and was able to walk shop and enjoy the rest of my time in TJ. 5 days post op I felt like I needed to really rest for some reason but that was the only day that I even felt like I had surgery. I was absolutely amazed at the ease with which this happened.

I felt like I could conquer the world after my surgery! I think the nausea is a side effect from the anesthesia, not the actual surgery. If you had surgery with no problems before you should be fine, otherwise let the Dr. know in advance about the nausea concerns.

I am very much a wimp and also feel like I recover/heal slowly. I left the clinic that afternoon and came home 1 day early. My surgery was on Wednesday and I went back to work on Tuesday. I do have an unpredictable physical job though as a nurse so I took the extra day (monday) off just because I was afraid I couldn't perform if and emergency happened. I was a little sore but much less than my daily pain from fibromyalgia!! I would have an occasional gs pain that would pass failrly quickly, 10-15 minutes unless I drank my liquids too fast or too much at a time.

Yes everyone is different but hopefully you are getting a taste of what to expect Stormy.

What about the financing? Is it pinned down? Do you have all you need?

:lb11:

Although you don't need luck as these people are very professionals and the best at what they do!!

I am very much a wimp and also feel like I recover/heal slowly. I left the clinic that afternoon and came home 1 day early. My surgery was on Wednesday and I went back to work on Tuesday. I do have an unpredictable physical job though as a nurse so I took the extra day (monday) off just because I was afraid I couldn't perform if and emergency happened. I was a little sore but much less than my daily pain from fibromyalgia!! I would have an occasional gs pain that would pass failrly quickly, 10-15 minutes unless I drank my liquids too fast or too much at a time.

Yes everyone is different but hopefully you are getting a taste of what to expect Stormy.

What about the financing? Is it pinned down? Do you have all you need?

:lb11:

Although you don't need luck as these people are very professionals and the best at what they do!!

Got one bank for sure at $5300 now waiting for the rest. They said I should know sometime today but still have one other bank checking me out, so we will see. I will let everyone know trust me. :D

Ok Stormy I can't wait to hear about your financing woes when they are no longer woes!!

My medical loans called and told me to send in the paperwork, I guess that means I am approved. Who the heck knows anymore. Crazy. I am going to assume that they know what they are doing. I thing they will be paying the dr soon, so maybe they will know before me.