Capsules

stormy

My husband and I are scheduled for surgery on the 19th of Sept. He takes two pills that are kind of large, both are extended release. One is adderall XR capsule, he takes takes two a day and Welbutrin XR, he takes one a day. I am concerned because we called and they dont come in any other form. Is he going to be able to take these? We are very concerned because he needs to continue taking these. Should we contact the dr? Can someone at the OCC dr corner, answer this?

• 8 months later...
My husband and I are scheduled for surgery on the 19th of Sept. He takes two pills that are kind of large, both are extended release. One is adderall XR capsule, he takes takes two a day and Welbutrin XR, he takes one a day. I am concerned because we called and they dont come in any other form. Is he going to be able to take these? We are very concerned because he needs to continue taking these. Should we contact the dr? Can someone at the OCC dr corner, answer this?

Stormy I'm sad to see that no one answered this because I have the same questions. I take 2 lamictal, 1 depakote, 1 cymbalta, 2 rhythmol, 2 cardizem. Needless to say, I CAN"T just disreagrd my meds. I've been opening the capsules and cutiing the pills into tiny pieces, although I'm not usre I am getting all of the intended effects. Have you found any other help on this issue?

Cristy

weight.png

I'm on the pill, effexor and wellbutrin - no issues here.

Lindsay, that's great if you aren't having trouble with capsules....I'm just so afraid of a blockage. Also, did you start taking them right after surgery? I'm already tired of opening up my capsules and taking the stuff inside...its ripping up my stomach more than surgery itself. I've actually start cutting my tablets into 2s or 4s and that is somewhat better, but if I could take capsules, that would make my life a LOT easier.

Thanks,

Cristy

weight.png

I take..a fist full. 3 BP's and 2 Chlorestals plus the biotin and vitamin. During the post op liquid phase I crushed the pills but once on solids, it was okay if I used very little water. I was told to talk to a Dr. or pharmasist before crushing or breaking the tablets as some drugs are designed for time release and tampering with the pill may cause the drug to be released in incorrect dosage.

I hope I can reduce the med's once the weight comes down and everything is weight related.

Lindsay, that's great if you aren't having trouble with capsules....I'm just so afraid of a blockage. Also, did you start taking them right after surgery? I'm already tired of opening up my capsules and taking the stuff inside...its ripping up my stomach more than surgery itself. I've actually start cutting my tablets into 2s or 4s and that is somewhat better, but if I could take capsules, that would make my life a LOT easier.

heck yes!

I didn't want to skip any dosages, for obvious reasons on both fronts ;)

I haven't had any obvious issues, but my band hasn't been tightened yet - I'm getting my first adjustment on the 21st of April.

Small pills, like the Effexor aren't the med's you need to be concerned about getting blocked. I think it's more of those huge monster multi vit's that look like horse pills.

But, I was told I wouldn't have any issues, based on the medications I asked about --

Maybe take one BIG pill in the morn, one in the eve?

That might break the time frames up enough to prevent any errr ... upcoming surprises :)

And even so, blockages usually pass rather quickly, so even if it did get stuck, it usually makes it way back down within a few seconds :)

I would just check with the doc about taking them apart...I couldnt swallow that if my life depended on it - I would pb. Even my medium BP pills I have to cut up...sorry :S

[

quote name=Lindsay' date='Apr 4 2009, 04:17 PM' post='67981]

heck yes!

I didn't want to skip any dosages, for obvious reasons on both fronts ;)

I haven't had any obvious issues, but my band hasn't been tightened yet - I'm getting my first adjustment on the 21st of April.

Small pills, like the Effexor aren't the med's you need to be concerned about getting blocked. I think it's more of those huge monster multi vit's that look like horse pills.

But, I was told I wouldn't have any issues, based on the medications I asked about --

Maybe take one BIG pill in the morn, one in the eve?

That might break the time frames up enough to prevent any errr ... upcoming surprises :)

And even so, blockages usually pass rather quickly, so even if it did get stuck, it usually makes it way back down within a few seconds :)