terrible, terrible fill experience

Last Thursday (the 31st) was my 1st fill. The facility was nice and clean and I went in and laid down on the table and felt like everything would go just fine...but it really didn't go too fine. The doctor had a horrible time accessing my port - he kept "slipping off" as he called it - which would cause that pretty big needle to just jab into my guts. Well after about 30 minutes of tries (and pain) he hit the port, put in 2cc's and told me to drink liquids that day and come back if breakfast went down too easily in the morning.

So the morning came and I could have just eaten and eaten and eaten...no restriction. So I went back like the doctor said and he decided to put in one more cc. Again, it was such a struggle for me to lay still while he stabbed around on me to find the port. I kept telling him I thought he was too high up (he was poking right below my scar and when I feel my port, it feels like it's about an inch below my scar and a bit to the left) but he just kept jabbing in the same area. Finally, he hit the port again and put in one more cc. Immediately I could feel the tightness in my chest and knew he had hit the port. I sat up to try a sip of water and...it stuck! I was like oh no...I'm way too tight now. I was so sad because I knew he would have to go in AGAIN to get some out! <_<

So again I go back to the table, and this time I can physically see how swolen my belly is where he's been poking me over and over again. He says he's having a hard time because I am really swolen inside too. So he's poking and stabbing and "slipping off" the port over and over and over. He keeps smacking the port but cannot seem to penetrate it. And then he gets to pressing down on the needle really hard to make it go through the port and keeps "slipping off" and stabbing me so hard in the stomach muscles down there. Finally, after trying for what felt like a very long time, he pulled the needle out and it was "malfunctioning" and wouldn't draw any liquid. I was so mad because I knew I had to get some of this fill out of me! I knew he had to go back in and try some more!!

To add to it alll, I was still stuck on the water I'd tried to drink and it made me feel like I was choking to death while lying flat on my back. To make a long story short, it took a little over an hour to get it done and I ended up with NINE needle holes in me - and each needle hole represented quite a few minutes being stabbed, and having him "slip off" my port. The pain was so bad that I was physically shaking - just out of control of the shaking no matter how much I tried and tired to calm my mind down and breathe deep. I tried to take a break and just walk and breathe for a minute and try to let that stuck water go down, but I was so shook up by that time that I couldn't stop myself from crying. I honestly though I might pass out really. :(

In the end, I just said I can't take this anymore and went home. A day later, I can eat again and don't feel too much restriction, but it was a horrible, horrible experience.

I honestly feel a little traumatized from it to tell the truth. I have heard so many of your stories about your fills where the words "virtually painless" or "hardly felt a thing" were used and I kept thinking "this cannot be normal!" I feel terrified at the thought of having to go back for more fills and I know I will have to! :lb12:

For you newbies out there, please do not freak out after reading this - I know this cannot be right!! Please, please learn from me and make sure to ask how many fills your fill doctor has done. Make sure they have been uber trained and have done hundreds and hundreds before you let them "practice" on you. Consider making the trip back to the OCC or going to a Fill Centers USA location - even if it's a longer drive or more expensive. Believe me, I would have traded the money and time in a heartbeat to have not had to go through the horrible experience I went through.

For you veteran bandsters out there, please tell me I'm right - this is not normal and I should never have to have an experience like this again if I go to a Fill Centers USA location...right!?

Oh sweetheart, I feel so bad for you!!! You must have been scared TO DEATH!!

I've had 2 fills and fortunetly I had them done at the OCC and they were painless [i swear!] I pray that I never have an experiance like yours [and that you never have another] but personally, I don't think that is normal. I think you're right, you have to make sure that your fill Doc is experianced and not practicing on you.

I'm so worried that if I go to another Doc for fills, he\she may damage my port [or hurt me] and then I'd be screwed.

I truely hope you can find a good fill Doc [or be able to go back to the OCC] Best wishes, Darlene

Amber,

No that is definitely not the typical fill experience. I've heard good things and bad things about the Fill Centers. I live in Northern CA so I just fly to San Diego and go the OCC, luckily. Is that a possibility for you? Are there any other docs there or options? I think I'd rather save up my $ and go to OCC or elsewhere than have that happen to me. I am really sorry you went through that. It sounds like he didn't know what the heck he was doing. Maybe in the future you can "interview" the doc before you have them fill you? Even if it's unofficial and see what you gut tells you about them??

Karen

I definitely agree - I will never get a fill without seeing the doctor's statistics and talking with him to gain an understanding of his knowledge and practices before-hand. If I had it to do all over again, I would absolutely just save up the $ to fly back to the OCC. In Arkansas, there are not a lot of good options really...most doctors here won't even touch a "Mexican band" - even though they were quite possibly trained by a Mexican doctor and my band is an Inamed - the most used band in the U.S!!

*sigh*

Sorry you had a bad experience!

Where I go they have me lift my head and one leg do the fills while lying flat. It's pretty cool, it makes the port VERY obvious. They use shorter needles so they bring it right up to the surface. Did this doc have you do anything like that? Maybe YOU could teach HIM that trick. :)

They also numb the surface of the skin because I'm such a baby, haha. Maybe these are things to introduce to the fill doc you went to, or things to look for in finding a new doc. :)

OMG!....NO, that is NOT normal. I just had my first fill on the 31st and the doc I used took a bunch of time FEELING (read with FINGERS) for the port and marked it with a pen before he ever got out the needle. That felt kind of strange/uncomfortable, but did not hurt. He numbed me before he used the big needle. He left the big needle in while I sat up and drank. Sitting up with that thing sticking out of me was kinda strange, but he seemed to know what he was doing. So, I trusted him and I did as I was told. I also was too tight, but he just drew back on the needle and took some out and I was IMMEDIATELY unstuck..the water was stuck for under a minute total. Not fun but VERY short-lived. I was stuck a total of ONE time with the fill needle. I was not swollen AT ALL from the whole process.

Your experience was NOT normal. Find a different fill doc. ANY other fill doc. It should not be traumatic to get a fill. I was scared before my first one, but will not be for any more (and I HATE needles.) Mine really was pretty PAINLESS, except for the time I was stuck and that really was a SHORT time.

This is NOT normal and I would never go back to him! At the very least, he should have given you lidocaine after he missed the first time! Most docs don't do that because they consider it just another needle poke, but when they have to dig for your port, then the lidocaine would be very helpful! I think you need to try to look for an alternative fill doctor. Even if it a state away, you can drive to it. Get on the phone and make some calls because I wouldn't go back to him!

I am so sorry to hear that! I cannot imagine that is anywhere near normal. Where did you have it done? I had my first fill thru Fill Centers in Moultrie, GA and the fill nurse accessed my port quickly and rather painlessly. It was a pleasant experience (despite some financial mix up) and I'm going back to her this Saturday. I didn't even have any numbing solution or anything. I'd definitely find someone new...

Hope your recovery from this awful experience is quick.

OMG you poor baby. I am so sorry you had to have such a horrific experience. No this is not normal, again. I too was fearful of the same thing happening so I was fortunate to be able to work an extra shift and save the money to go back to the OCC. How are you doing today? I bet your belly is sore, to put it mildly, and the bruising for sure!! Once again I am so sorry to hear this for you. It's the one in a million that happens like this and this doctor should be reported for lack of knowledge about how to perform this procedure effectively and safely and without TRAUMA to the patient. I mean really to have you shaking like you describe is not the norm. That happens when you are having such an adrenaline rush from pain and it's the fight or flight response kicking in. Women in labor shake uncontrollably as well as post op surgery patients, not fill patients!! Oh I am so mad I could spit nails when I hear of a Dr. continuing to practice on a patient like this. The dummy should have left the needle in after he put the fills in for safety's sake in case just what happened to you happened!!! OMG!! I pray for you to heal from this trauma and be able to trust again with your next fill. I am sure you will find an experienced Doc that is available to you closer, or even go back to the OCC...Take care sweetie!!

THIS IS FOR SURE NOT NORMAL PROCEDURE :ph34r:

I had two fills since surgery, both at the Fill Center here in Roswell GA. Not such an experience at all !!!!

Darlene (NP) hits the port right away - no pain - no discomfort - no nothing ....

I'm so sorry for your bad experience ><' Hopefully you'll be able to find someone else to do your fills ??

Thanks so much for a)the support and love and B) sharing your more sane, less traumatic experiences. I am very, very relieved to hear that I should never have to expect this again as I will certainly NOT be going back to that doctor. By the way, the doc is not a Fill Centers USA doc, but a privte surgeon located in Fayetteville, AR. I will absolutely be making the drive to a Fill Centers USA location next time (I think I will go to the one in Austin, TX next time to get the fill done under fluoroscopy just to make sure everything is okay) and then afterward will use the location in Farmington, MO (they don't do fluoro there, but it's closer for follow-up fills.)

I hope everyone learns from my mistake and checks out their fill doc bigtime (AT LEAST make sure he's done a few hundred) before putting yourself through what I did.

Thanks so much for your support guys - I'd go crazy without you!!!!!

Hey Amber...It's Natalie. Remember me? Your fellow bandster surgery buddy??? Well, I hope you do. I thought you were a lot of fun to get to know and I have been reading your posts. It is great to see your success!!!! GOOD JOB!!!! I also had a bad fill experience but my doc was a fill centers doc. So, um yeah, I am not sure what to do for my next one because I am soooo scared to go back to him. He used a VERY long needle (of course) but it was hanging out of me quite far and he had me hold onto it and told me not to move it. It totally made me sick and dizzy and so I kept almost passing out and so I had to keep lying on the floor all the while with this fricking needle hanging out of my stomach. It was awful!!!! The fill took hours instead of minutes. The doc said that he doesn't like to buy various sizes of needles for various ports, he just sticks with one size and makes it work. OH YEA!!!! So, the needle was really WAY too long!!! Oh, and at one point as I am hanging onto the needle for dear lift hoping not to move it, I asked him if it was ok. He said, "It is fine as long as it is not bleeding." So, at that point, I look down and there is blood running down my stomach.

AHHHH!!!!!! What a frustrating fill!!!!!

I normally watch myself give blood, get shots, I love watching surgery on tv. I am not a queasy person AT ALL!!!!! In, fact when I am pregnant, I have to give myself shots twice a day in the stomach and it is no problem. Everyone else talks about how painless and pleasant their fills were and mine was a nightmare. Waited forever, unprofessional doc, not so clean office, long needle, me holding onto it. How do other docs do the needle part? I have never once heard of anyone having to hold onto their needle??? Anyways, hopefully it makes you feel a little better that I also had a bad experience, paid a ton of money for it, went to a fill centers doctor and got flouroscopy. The fill has been fine but it was sure painful. Oh, and it also left a dark dark purple bruise on my stomach that was as big as a grapefruit. It took weeks to go away. It was awful!!!! Very traumatic experience. I am considering driving to Idaho for several hours to get my next fill done as to not have to go back to that guy. Well, hopefully our next fill will be better. Good luck to us!!!! See ya!!! Natalie

Wow, what an experience. I have a nurse that's trained by Inamed do my fills. my 1st one was done at her house and my second fill she was in the city (she lives 1.5hrs away from me) and came to my house, talk about convenience. She feels for the port puts the needle in and finds the port very quickly. No pain. I still could use more restriction but I do have some, maybe next time it will be the magic number. She charges $150.00 but its worth it. Inamed is paying for all her expenses when she goes to their conference in Toronto, which is very reassuring.

Good luck to you

NOT NORMAL AT ALL!

When you guys are looking for fill doctors ask how they do it? do they feel around with their fingers to find the port and mark it with a marker (which they should)? do they leave it in and ask you to sit up and take a drink of water?

Once the needle is in the port, it should not be pulled out until the fill is completed - that way he needs to add a little he just pushes more in and if he needs to take some out for you to swallow its already in the port and he just with draws the saline slightly until the water goes down.

i have been going to the same fill doctor in denver for 1 1/2 yrs... he actually has me lay on the table, puts the flora machine over me turns it on for just a sec while he marks my skin with a marker where the port is. turns off the machine, gives me a local shot to numb the area and then he hits the port with the first try. he has an extension like an IV thing hanging from the needle so i can move around to take my sip of water. the whole process takes less than 10 mins.

remember if its your first fill, go on the safe side and only get the recommended cc's for your band for first fills... it can take up to 2 wks before a fill kicks in. thats what happened my last time - i got one in early may 08 and i thought for sure by mid may i would have to go back... it finally kicked in and i am still very tight and pb more than i should.

dont ever go back to that place and for the newbys if you can go back to dr ortiz for at least the first one, do it, that way you know what is normal procedures or what a quack you have gone to and you can leave.

good luck

kim

This all sounds horrible ug! I found a woman who comes down to Portland Oregon twice a month to do the fills. She sounded real nice on the phone and said she has many patients. She said she has done this for over 10 years so I am going to use her once I get my band. I sure hope she doesn't do me like that, I will freak out. I would never go back to someone who did that to me. That is horrible. You are not a pin cushion geesh. I dont like needles but if they cant get it right, dang it give it to me, I will do it myself. Proebely not advised but you get my point. I wish I could afford to go back to OCC every time but I know I wont be able to do that. I sure hope you are ok, that is just terrible.

I had my first fill 8 days ago and it was nothing like you described on this post! I had my surgery done in Houston, and my doctor who performed my surgery also did my fill. It took about 5-10 minutes, at the most. He had my lie down on a cushioned table with a pillow and raise my head up like I was about to do an abdominal crunch. While I did that, he located the port, applied the numbing solution and told me I would feel a little poke. That was it, just a small poke and then he said I would feel a little tug when he removed the needle. It was so painless and fast. I drank water after sitting up, and the needle was already out.

If you are considering Houston for your next fill, I'll be glad to give you my doctor's info. I hope you are healed soon and find someone you can trust.

Denise

You poor thing, I can't believe you went through all of that. I would have been passed out after the first "miss". My next fill would definitely be with a flouro to make sure that the idiot didn't damage your port or the tubing. He sounds very inexperienced and probably shouldn't be doing any fills. I would definitely have been "traumatized" after all of that. With all that poking and stabbing going on he may have done more damage than good. If you still don't have restriction he may have punctured the tubing and it should be checked.

This all sounds horrible ug! I found a woman who comes down to Portland Oregon twice a month to do the fills. She sounded real nice on the phone and said she has many patients. She said she has done this for over 10 years so I am going to use her once I get my band. I sure hope she doesn't do me like that, I will freak out. I would never go back to someone who did that to me. That is horrible. You are not a pin cushion geesh. I dont like needles but if they cant get it right, dang it give it to me, I will do it myself. Proebely not advised but you get my point. I wish I could afford to go back to OCC every time but I know I wont be able to do that. I sure hope you are ok, that is just terrible.

Hi Stormy! If you are talking about Dr. Kelly Fitzpatrick who comes to Portland from Eugene a couple times a month I can ASSURE you that she is NOT like the doctor mentioned in this post. She always gets my port on the first try and the worse I feel is a slight pinch but usually not even that. She doesn't use anything to numb it first but it's not needed.. it's kinda weird how easy/NON painful it is.