A few "IS THIS NORMAL" questions . . .

OK, well if any of you remember, I've been constipated since banding and I've tried EVERYTHING! Well, good news . . . EVERYTHING kicked in today! And let me tell you . . . .woooweee, not a pretty smell! I was rotting, seriously. So now I have a few more questions since my poop issue is out of the way (won't let THAT happen again! Smooth Move Tea for me EVERY SINGLE DAY!)

1. I think I may have started my period, but it's weird because normally it nevers just "starts". I usually have a few warning signs that it is coming. Also, it was bright red, not menstrual old lining discharge (KWIM). I know it wasn't HUGE, but in the toilet it looks like a golf ball . . . I think I may have had a little blood clot too that came out while pooing, which started my period. Is this normal? I think I heard somewhere that your cycle could start when it's not supposed to after surgery, but I just thought it was odd. What would you do?

2. Where my insicions are, they are healing nicely, but now I feel lumps under them, like hard lumps. Is that normal? Its not a hernia is it?

So I think that might be it for right now. I'll be anxious to hear your replies and experiences because you all are so great at sharing and helping. What a great support system for the new bandsters.

Okay, I really had a huge laugh at your post, a nice laugh - I went ten days before I finally pooped and my goodness, what a relief when I finally did!!! I keep tooting this, but the Chewable Benefiber works so well for me, I chew about six of them a day (nine is the recommended dose) and I have no problems with regularity now.

I can't comment on your periods, because thank God, I'm old and don't have them anymore - seriously, "thank you, God!"

I'm seven weeks post surgery and I still have hard lumps under my incision scars. Matter of fact, I posted about this same subject and someone suggested massaging them and using vitamin E oil - I've yet to give this a try, but only because I haven't gotten around to buying the oil.

Good luck and keep asking questions, it's the only way you'll get some honest real life answers.

1. I think I may have started my period, but it's weird because normally it nevers just "starts". I usually have a few warning signs that it is coming. Also, it was bright red, not menstrual old lining discharge (KWIM). I know it wasn't HUGE, but in the toilet it looks like a golf ball . . . I think I may have had a little blood clot too that came out while pooing, which started my period. Is this normal? I think I heard somewhere that your cycle could start when it's not supposed to after surgery, but I just thought it was odd. What would you do?

My period came sooner than it was due after surgery. It was also bright red to start. Don't worry about the "golf ball" in the toilet. Yes you are right there that blood always looks like more than it is. I'd just monitor my period and if you are bleeding so much that you have to change your pad or tampon more than 1 time every hour or two then you should call your doc.

2. Where my insicions are, they are healing nicely, but now I feel lumps under them, like hard lumps. Is that normal? Its not a hernia is it?

Yes the hardness is normal. It's scar tissue forming to hold the incision together so it can heal nicely. No worried and it's certainly not a hernia. Yes using anything like vitamin e or any of the scar therapy creams on the market and massaging it for 1-2 minutes 2-3 times a day is supposed to help break that down.

Certainly call your doctor if this bothers you in your "gut" and have a feeling you need to be seen. Go with your gut always.

I cant tell you if its normal and I'm sorry about that but I thank you for asking these questions, when my times comes for the op and recovery I and many others here will benefit from these questions, we are all human and our bodys are all made of the same things..lots of pretty atoms and stuff :) I hope your bumps improve, I would also recommend massaging them lightly with vitamin E oil.

THanks for all of your answers. So the mystery period STOPPED. I think that is weird! OH well. Maybe that was it and I'll get a 40 day reprieve! WOuldn't that be delightful!!!!!!

I FORGOT TO ASK ANOTHER QUESTION . . . .

Did anyone have a huge bruise on the right side of their lower abdomen? I've got the UGLIEST bruise you ever saw and I don't know when or how this developed but it showed up about 3 days post surgery and hasn't left.

Yes, I had a bruise there. Right before surgery they stick you there and put either some kind of anathesia or muscle relaxant in. The bruise is from the shot. Mine has disappeared. I still have the lumps under my incisions, too.

Hope that helps!

Don't bet on the 40 day reprieve, I have been getting my cycle every 2 weeks since the surgery. The last one lasted 3 weeks! ARGH...A totally unwelcome and unwanted side effect!!

OH CRAP! You gotta be kidding me! My husband is going to KILL me! LOL!

Did anyone have a huge bruise on the right side of their lower abdomen? I've got the UGLIEST bruise you ever saw and I don't know when or how this developed but it showed up about 3 days post surgery and hasn't left.

The bruise if from a shot they gave you to thin your blood right before surgery. I had the same nasty bruise too and it lasted for many weeks!! I still can see where the bruise was. My skin is discolored where the bruise was, but I am sure with time it will keep fading away. It already looks much lighter.

Don't bet on the 40 day reprieve, I have been getting my cycle every 2 weeks since the surgery. The last one lasted 3 weeks! ARGH...A totally unwelcome and unwanted side effect!!

Me too, Kim! I am starting every 2 weeks and they last a week! What is up with that? I figured it was from the weight loss.

Maybe it has something to do with the name Kim! LOL

All I know is it is killing me!! If it doesn't change soon I am going to call my gyno about it.

I did ask my fill doc about it and she told me that I should try to get on a monophasic birth control pill instead of the tri-phasic pill I currently take. She said that the monophasic pill would not cause as many fluctuations to my body each month. Something to think about I guess.