Why no alcohol??

emtstacey76

For information purposes only and to try and start some supporting again I thought that maybe I will post some topics for info purposes?

Why shouldn't we drink alcohol? Dr. Miranda did say eventually we could have a few but for conversation purposes it is a liquid ! :P

I know that it goes through your system faster and you get drunk faster (is that bad?? :D ) but I guess if you drink to much and vomit, that's bad.

I want to know what other reasons are there? I also know it high calories and nutritional value but it's Saturday night would I be crucified if I had a glass of wine, it's not carbonated?

FYI I'm not planning on it but there is always so many questions we all forget to ask and this to me is a good one!

I'd have to guess that it would be the calorie thing. I love wine too, but it doesn't love me. My hands and feet swell right after I drink it and continues through the next day. I was banded in May and have'nt had any alcohol since [i have an average of 2 drinks per year] No desire really...... now, if I could only look at food that way!! ;)

i'm curious about the alcohol thing also. so what if it's a lower calorie bevie, and hour after your meal? is that any different than having an iced tea or coffee laced with cream? yes, i know that if i'm counting the calories it's not the wisest, but as far as it being okay to combine alcohol and the band... is this safe and fine?

• 1 month later...

I think all of the points have been covered. Alcohol is empty calories, you will get drunk faster and if you vomit, it can put your band at risk. Avoid carbonation.

If you want to have a drink or two when you go out for an evening with friends or a glass of wine before dinner, you can. But make sure you are responsible and calculate the calories into you daily intake.

I plan to have drinks when I go away on vacation, not alot but some. I haven't had a drink since May 23/08, I am not a drinker, but if an opportunity arose I would have a vodka and cranberry and nurse it through the evening.

It's all about moderation and being responsible.

ok, what is a carbonated alcoholic drink? Is beer carbonated? I am leaving for Play Del Carmen on 9/27 and want to make sure I have handle on this?

I love my corona light with a lime..... I am really gonna miss this............ I know beer is a no-no. Is it a no-no because it is carbonated? What if I opened one and left it in the frig for 30 minutes, could I have it then?

Cheers

Amy

ok, what is a carbonated alcoholic drink? Is beer carbonated? I am leaving for Play Del Carmen on 9/27 and want to make sure I have handle on this?

I love my corona light with a lime..... I am really gonna miss this............ I know beer is a no-no. Is it a no-no because it is carbonated? What if I opened one and left it in the frig for 30 minutes, could I have it then?

Cheers

Amy

I think Beer is out. I don't drink them often either, but when it is hot out, sometimes they just taste good. <_< Oh well, I don't mind saying good bye to Beer and Hello to HEALTH!

What no alcohol..... Someone should have told me sooner!! I don’t drink carbonated drinks but I do drink alcohol, watch my glasses and calories, I still like to live life and love my glass of red wine!! (I still lost almost 130 pounds so if you’re careful and watch what you drink you’ll be fine) and red wine has very important antioxidants!

I would only have 1 to 2 glasses a week when I was in my weight loss period, it was a life saver when eating out, when most did the appetizers I focused on my glass of wine and socialized. You need to continue to live life and enjoy, just do it in a thoughtful fashion that still allows you to loose weight and be aware that alcohol hits us harder, so don’t drink as much as you use too! And use you can defiz drinks, but they taste bad so I wouldn't even bother....

Wine (4 fl oz) Calories

Beaujolais 95

Bordeaux, red 95

Burgundy, red 95

Burgundy, white 90

Cabernet Sauvignon 90

Chablis 85

Champagne, dry 105

Champagne, pink 100

Chardonnay 90

Chianti 100

Liebfraumilch 85

Madeira 160

Marsala 80

Merlot 95

Mosell 100

Muscatel 160

Port, ruby 185

Port, white 170

Reisling 90

Rhone 95

Rose 95

Sangria 115

Sauterne 115

Sauvignon Blanc 80

Tokay 165

Zinfandel, red 90

Zinfandel, white 80

• Like 1

What no alcohol..... Someone should have told me sooner!! I don’t drink carbonated drinks but I do drink alcohol, watch my glasses and calories, I still like to live life and love my glass of red wine!! (I still lost almost 130 pounds so if you’re careful and watch what you drink you’ll be fine) and red wine has very important antioxidants!

I would only have 1 to 2 glasses a week when I was in my weight loss period, it was a life saver when eating out, when most did the appetizers I focused on my glass of wine and socialized. You need to continue to live life and enjoy, just do it in a thoughtful fashion that still allows you to loose weight and be aware that alcohol hits us harder, so don’t drink as much as you use too! And use you can defiz drinks, but they taste bad so I wouldn't even bother....

Wine (4 fl oz) Calories

Beaujolais 95

Bordeaux, red 95

Burgundy, red 95

Burgundy, white 90

Cabernet Sauvignon 90

Chablis 85

Champagne, dry 105

Champagne, pink 100

Chardonnay 90

Chianti 100

Liebfraumilch 85

Madeira 160

Marsala 80

Merlot 95

Mosell 100

Muscatel 160

Port, ruby 185

Port, white 170

Reisling 90

Rhone 95

Rose 95

Sangria 115

Sauterne 115

Sauvignon Blanc 80

Tokay 165

Zinfandel, red 90

Zinfandel, white 80

Wow Lisa you are good!!! I may have to start liking wine!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CaraMBA09
Wow Lisa you are good!!! I may have to start liking wine!!

just a warning about alcohol

you will get drunk faster as it hits your system quicker. I have had this happen twice now since being banded, I let my guard down and was loopy. The amount I can normally have before feeling this way has been severly slashed.

beer is a huge no-no, I have been told for a minimum of 6 months

anything with empty calories should probably be avoided a majority of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

2 reasons

Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories

Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories

Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories

Alcohol: 1 gram = 7 calories

Metabolically speaking, alcohol is processed in the metabolism hierarchy as a carb. So instead of 4 calories, you're getting 7.

Carbs-Alcohol

Fats

Protein

2. Addictive personalities.

A lot of us have our weight problem because of a food addiction, or a an addictive personality. It's too easy for someone with a food addiction to replace that with an alcohol addiction, and because alcohol goes down easy, it's very dangerous because it's easier to drink our calories, and replace one addiction with another. It's very common in WLS patients.

I had a drink while in Vegas and I got so drunk, so fast that it made me sick! If I do have a drink now I make sure I have something in my stomach. I got really bad stomach pain.....I hadn't eaten in a few hours. Once I ate something I felt better. Guess I am just a cheap drunk!

A laparoscopic adjustable gastric band is a restrictive device implanted via bariatric surgery and designed for obese patients with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or greater—or between 35–40 in cases of patients with certain comorbidities that are known to improve with weight loss, such as sleep apnea, diabetes, osteoarthritis, or metabolic syndrome, among others. The gastric band is an inflatable silicone prosthetic device that is placed around the top portion of the stomach, usually via laparoscopic surgery.

=========================================

Harry

Alcohol Rehabilitation

Harry, we know this, but what does that have to do with the "no alcohol" conversation? (Not being critical, I'm just curious as to your point.)

• 2 months later...

There must be some spam program out there that finds a key word and drops a message on a random forum. no alcohol for a bandster is not about alcohol abuse it about band issues.

I'll better finish my third scotch and get to work, its almost 9:00am

Cujo

There must be some spam program out there that finds a key word and drops a message on a random forum. no alcohol for a bandster is not about alcohol abuse it about band issues.

I'll better finish my third scotch and get to work, its almost 9:00am

Cujo

You are too funny Cujo. Hope your doing well !!

• 1 year later...

I THINK IF YOU DRINK IN MODERATION A GLASS OF WINE WITH YOUR ANNIVERSARY DINNER OR WHEN YOU GO OUT WILL NOT TOTALLY SABOTAGE YOUR WEIGHT LOSS EFFORTS. ANYTHING IN EXCESS IS BAD,,,THAT BEING SAID, I HAD A DRINK EVERY NIGHT (ONE) AFTER WORK...MY WEIGHT LOSS WAS VERY SLOW...I STOPPED DRINKING THAT GLASS OF WHITE WINE, AND STARTED SWIMMING AND THE WEIGH BEGAN TO ROLL OFF...

IN MY CASE IT WASN'T IN MODERATION, SO IT HAMPERED MY WEIGHT LOSS. I STOPPED AND I BEGAN TO LOSE...

I SUPPOSE IF YOU FIGURE THE ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE INTO YOUR CALORIE INTAKE FOR THE DAY YOU WOULD THINK YOU WOULD BE OK...SOMETHING TO PONDER

KIM :wub:

• 4 months later...