new to board

Hello Everyone. I filled out the online form yesterday and I spent some time reading posts. I felt really excited about actually doing that because I may very well call Dr Ortiz's office and schedule the surgery soon. But I also unchecked the box that allowed them to call me because I'm scared too. I'm serious about making a change and I think lapband may be the way to help me finally lose the wt. i need to lose. Truth is I'm concerned about what will happen post-op. I want to go into this knowing what to expect. Form what I've read so far, members seem open and honest about their experience. Thank you for that.

I worry about feeling physically weak and mentally slow or confused after the surgery due to the drastic change in diet. I know some people that have had the more drastic bypass surgery and they all looked very weak and their mental sharpness and lively personalities became dull or spacey-like. This might of been a transitional period but it was quite drastic. I know they continue with their usual work and lives now.

I want to know about the difficulties and bad effects you all have noticed in yourselves. I'm especially interested in knowing about the changes that take place during the process. What are the first three weeks like? Did you feel very weak and out of it? Where you able to take care of your daily life responsibilities? Where you ok to drive for example? I'm worried I'll feel out of it or confused. My aunt told me she actually got losted driving home from work after she had the bypass done. That scared me. I realize the bypass is a more invasive surgery but still wondering about your experiences due to the drastic change in diet.

Please do tell me about any of your negative experiences during the process. I've tried to get back to a healthy weight for too many years. I've tried and tried and have had some success only to end up getting bigger, year after year. My wt holds me back and brings me down. I've been unhappy about it for too long but now I'm worried that as I get older, turned 40, I will begin to have health issues. I notice that my feet really hurt and I'm just generally uncomfortable in my clothes. I really want to make a change and have it really help me get to my goal wt but I want to know what I'm really getting into first.

I imagine I would make my fruit juices in a blender the first week and then make my own clear broths made with chicken and veggies but only have the broth. I beleive we're only allowed juice for a week after post-op. then only clear broths for post-op week 2. What is week 3 like? I want to be as healthy as possible after the bypass. I worry about not getting enough nutrients given the small amount of intake. Do you all take supplements/vitamins? how do you know which to take? trial and error? or does the clinic help with that?

THANK YOU and I look forward to chatting with you all. :)

thank you in advance for your open and honest reply.

Hi there and welcome!!!

I will tell you honestly, it no walk in the park, but the rewards outweight the negative. If you are ready for a complete lifestyle change, you are ready for lapband surgery.

I researched all WLS options and even though gastric bypass and duodenal switch surgery are covered by our Provincial healthcare, I chose to pay on my own for Lapband surgery and it was the BEST decision I have ever made for my health.

I was banded in Ontario, Canada on June 10th. I started my pre-op diet on May 27th for two weeks and it was difficult, but it's temporary and we have all done it or are about to. Post op recovery was not unusual. Major surgery takes time to recover from, there was some discomfort in my port area for about 4 weeks, nothing major, I returned to work 6 days after surgery and I was fine. The liquid post-op diet is fine, make sure you have lots of choices and do not count calories or quantities during this time, you are healing and need nutrition.

Once you start on solids, you do need to count calories and portions until your first fill. I lost 12 lbs pre-op, 20 lbs post op before my first fill 5 weeks after surgery. So if you add that up, I lost 32 lbs in 7 weeks, not too shabby!!

I am down 43 lbs now in three months and I am thrilled at how great I feel, I have about 100 to go and believe me this is the most exciting time of my life!!

I wish you much luck with your decision and if you have any other questions, just ask. This forum is amazing, the people will be become your family and provide you with a kick in the butt when you need one and full support always!!

Take care!

The pre op diet for me was pretty easy, 2 opti slim fast shakes and a lean cuisine for just over a week. (I jumped into a cancelation spot and lost 10 pounds in 10 days). I took my vitamins and didn’t’ have any issues, I wasn’t loopy and I have the type of job that I have to be on my toes mentally. I hold the position of Director and with a large group of people reporting to me in two continents (hundreds)– my brain better be able to keep it together. I choose the lap band because it has less affects, it is slower in the weight loss but its easier on you physically and mentally. The liquid diet didn’t bother me either; I drank juice and low calorie protein drinks, took my liquid vitamins and lots of home cooked broth and again no issues. If anything I felt better since I wasn’t eating all of the crap that I normally eat. I had my surgery Friday and I was back to work by Tuesday. (The day after the surgery I was out shopping and going to the museum and art show)

(One note, everyone is different – my doctors can get really PO’d at me since I can get up and function normally really fast, a lot of it has to do with your physical and mental personality)

I think the hardest part for me was loosing the mental need for my food. I ate to cover emotions and since I couldn’t eat them away anymore I had to find other outlets. Started exorcizing, being honest about my needs and opinions and got better at saying no. But this can get you in trouble if you’re not careful.

I can’t say anything bad about it, I feel so much better. I earn much more as a thin person than as a fat one, I’m treated differently (I don’t like this but it’s the truth). My feet and knees don’t hurt – in fact nothing much does and I use to have a hard time walking down stairs due to the pain. I’d grip the railing to make it down.

I do eat smaller amounts, and if I start feeling weak or mind groggy I always have protein shakes with high vitamin content and sip it down. You get really good at listening to your body and its needs or it can cause you trouble.

I’m taking off for the Caribbean today so hopefully I get a chance to wear my new bikini. I’m 46 and haven’t looked or felt this good since my 20’s!

Good luck with your decision, but I would recommend giving them your phone number, they really are knowledgeable and can help with your questions since most are like us and received the lap band from Dr Ortiz.

Lisa

Hi welcome to the board... I was home 3 days after surgery and did everything i did before surgery.(except eat)

I worked a 10 hr shift on my feet, mowed my grass and walked alot. My family always says I'm mentally slow anyway

so I guess that didn't change any. :P I really haven't had any problems. my port is still a little sore and sticks out, but I had

a tummy tuck years ago before my lapband so my upper tummy was still pretty flat. No one knew I had it done and they

still don't. I am so happy I had It done..It is a life style change. but knowing the weight I have lost so far is gone forever makes me

want to cry out of joy.. Good luck and ask away, everyone on this forum is helpful.

In another forum some one wrote "every one heals differently" and that is very true, but I do think it helps to hear others experiences, so at least if you have them... you'll know it's normal. Of all the research I did on the lap band I have not heard of stories like the one's you referenced.

Being 9 days post-band, I would like to think I have not felt or gone through any of the negative items you mentioned either.

I had/ have the gas pains, they are not so bad (the first 2 days were bothersome). I have soreness in the stomach area, nothing major.

In the first few days you realize just how much you need your stomach area... it hurt to laugh, sneeze, cough! But not extreme pain by any means.

I returned to work 5 days later, and have had no complaints of memory/ sharpness issues. I'm an computer engineer, and depend quite a bit on my wits. I have never gotten lost (post surgery). In fact I have had to drive myself to New Hampshire and Connecticut for several work meetings this past week (I live in MA). No hazyness or feelings of being spacey and my friends still laugh at my jokes, so I think my personality has remained intact.

The liquid phase is tough... I never realized how much I would miss the food, not just because I love food but for nutritional value as well. You have to make sure your intake is good, and full of the nurtients your body needs to heal. Keeping a journal may help with this.

There is great info and great people here, from recipies to questions you might not have wanted to ask, to reading about other peoples struggles and knowing you're not alone.

I understand what you're going through, I think we all went through questions and doubt, especially if you have heard such negative things about other types of bariatric surgeries. I am sure others will share their stories and I know it will help you!

Welcome to the forum!

And best of luck in your decision. I know I made the right one! :D

Hi Everyone,

I just got banded Aug 21st. They took care of my hiatal hernia while they were in there, so my recovery was just a day or 2 longer. I never filled the pain meds - I wasn't in that much pain (kicked in the stomach and 1000 sittups pain, but not meds kind of pain)

I was back to work on day 6, I will admit to being more tired than usual and not able to have a stimulating conversation, but I don't think I was loopy or out of it. I still have to keep my crabbiness in check due to lack of carbs, but I think that goes along with the territory. There is a learning curve for everyone.

I'm on day 10 and I think all things considers, this is the best thing I've done.

The first 3 weeks before you can introduce "real food" back in are a bit trying but the results are well worth the journey.

I asked my Dr the same question about what are some of the draw backs and worst case scenarios he's seen, his response was non compliance by patients not following the lifestyle change.

The one thing I wish I'd have know was about the pain in your shoulder from the air they fill you with!! Yikes!

Best wishes!

~Kim

Hello,

I'm post-op Day 17 and I admit the liquid phase has been tough. The hardest part was the first week to ten days because of the gas pains on top of the "mental" hunger for me. I just became physically hungery two days ago and I'll be the first to admit that I look forward to some crunchy salad. I miss veggies.

I have had some of the fogginess and forgetfullness but since I got those 42 gram protein bullets, I have felt better...and also if you can get it down, water helps a lot.

The only other complaint is the constipation...get your fiber down!! (Some people go the other way).

Overall, I've already lost 26 lbs. so, the good far "outweighs" the bad and the pain was minimal. Some soreness in the port area for the first 10 days but nothing that would incapacitate you. I also had joint pain, and just losing this first 25 lbs. has helped a lot!

Good Luck!

Hello; I'm day 13 post-op and I feel wonderful!! I am sitting here eating cheesy enchilada soup(no chunks) and life is good. I will admit this lifestyle isn't for everyone but you have to decide for yourself and be totally 100% committed to it. I am still in the liquid stage and it is amazing how many soups are out there. I have a great group of friends/supporters who welcomed me back to Texas with a big basket of gas strips and soups, so I am good!

The best part about this journey is the change in attitude. I actually look forward to my future and I feel like everyday I am doing something positive and it has been a very long time since I felt that way. I have lost 11 lbs in 13 days. I have noticed that I am taking better care of myself with liquid vitamins and more fiber and more water. I have not noticed any bad side effects. I had the regular gas pains at first, no shoulder pains. The 21 day liquid phase is hard (due to certain habits) but I think this is something I can live with. A couple of times at night I kind of freaked out because something was INSIDE me, but I got over it. I am still in the healing stage but I look forward to working out (that NEVER happened before).

Good luck!!

i dont see an "introduce yourself" forum, so i guess i'll bump in here. ive decided to pinch pennies and get banded, im aiming for march 2009. i live in south korea, the band costs around $7,000 USD here. thank you to everyone who posts in this forum, it answers all my questions and addresses all concerns. and this forum is WAYYY better than lapbandtalk: too many advertisements on that board!

Welcome to you all! I don't get banded until Oct, but I already know this is the best decision I've ever made!!!

Hi there and welcome!!!

I will tell you honestly, it no walk in the park, but the rewards outweight the negative. If you are ready for a complete lifestyle change, you are ready for lapband surgery.

I researched all WLS options and even though gastric bypass and duodenal switch surgery are covered by our Provincial healthcare, I chose to pay on my own for Lapband surgery and it was the BEST decision I have ever made for my health.

I was banded in Ontario, Canada on June 10th. I started my pre-op diet on May 27th for two weeks and it was difficult, but it's temporary and we have all done it or are about to. Post op recovery was not unusual. Major surgery takes time to recover from, there was some discomfort in my port area for about 4 weeks, nothing major, I returned to work 6 days after surgery and I was fine. The liquid post-op diet is fine, make sure you have lots of choices and do not count calories or quantities during this time, you are healing and need nutrition.

Once you start on solids, you do need to count calories and portions until your first fill. I lost 12 lbs pre-op, 20 lbs post op before my first fill 5 weeks after surgery. So if you add that up, I lost 32 lbs in 7 weeks, not too shabby!!

I am down 43 lbs now in three months and I am thrilled at how great I feel, I have about 100 to go and believe me this is the most exciting time of my life!!

I wish you much luck with your decision and if you have any other questions, just ask. This forum is amazing, the people will be become your family and provide you with a kick in the butt when you need one and full support always!!

Take care!

Hello Kittykat! Thank you for the warm welcome. Congrats on your 43 lb wt loss. That is excellent news and I can imagine how excited you feel about your success. Thanks for letting me know I can ask more questions. Here's one: where is the port area. Is it right under the skin? Does it show from the outside? Can you feel it or is it deep inside? I've had surgeries in the past and I'd say I'm pretty much a trooper. I tolerate pain pretty well and bounce back pretty quickly. Again, thanks for the warm welcome and best wishes to you on your journey to your goal wt. =D>

dlm

The pre op diet for me was pretty easy, 2 opti slim fast shakes and a lean cuisine for just over a week. (I jumped into a cancelation spot and lost 10 pounds in 10 days). I took my vitamins and didn’t’ have any issues, I wasn’t loopy and I have the type of job that I have to be on my toes mentally. I hold the position of Director and with a large group of people reporting to me in two continents (hundreds)– my brain better be able to keep it together. I choose the lap band because it has less affects, it is slower in the weight loss but its easier on you physically and mentally. The liquid diet didn’t bother me either; I drank juice and low calorie protein drinks, took my liquid vitamins and lots of home cooked broth and again no issues. If anything I felt better since I wasn’t eating all of the crap that I normally eat. I had my surgery Friday and I was back to work by Tuesday. (The day after the surgery I was out shopping and going to the museum and art show)

(One note, everyone is different – my doctors can get really PO’d at me since I can get up and function normally really fast, a lot of it has to do with your physical and mental personality)

I think the hardest part for me was loosing the mental need for my food. I ate to cover emotions and since I couldn’t eat them away anymore I had to find other outlets. Started exorcizing, being honest about my needs and opinions and got better at saying no. But this can get you in trouble if you’re not careful.

I can’t say anything bad about it, I feel so much better. I earn much more as a thin person than as a fat one, I’m treated differently (I don’t like this but it’s the truth). My feet and knees don’t hurt – in fact nothing much does and I use to have a hard time walking down stairs due to the pain. I’d grip the railing to make it down.

I do eat smaller amounts, and if I start feeling weak or mind groggy I always have protein shakes with high vitamin content and sip it down. You get really good at listening to your body and its needs or it can cause you trouble.

I’m taking off for the Caribbean today so hopefully I get a chance to wear my new bikini. I’m 46 and haven’t looked or felt this good since my 20’s!

Good luck with your decision, but I would recommend giving them your phone number, they really are knowledgeable and can help with your questions since most are like us and received the lap band from Dr Ortiz.

Lisa

Hello Lisa!

Thank you for replying to my post. Your before/after pics are great. You look healthy, happy, and attractive. good for you! I've had surgeries in the past and I bounce back quick too. It's reassuring to hear you didn't experience any drastic negative effects after surgery and that you were able to do your usual work. You may be back from your Caribbean trip. Did you wear your bikini??! I'm getting closer to giving Lori, the pt coordinator a call. Three questions here:

1. Did Dr Ortiz recommend the liquid vitamins? What kind and where do you purchase them? Did you decide which vitamins to take or did Dr Ortiz tell you which to take? I'm worried about hair loss and generally just want to be as healthy as possible after surgery since food intake is limited.

2. How soon were you able to excericise. What kind of excercise did you/do you do? Does the port area bother you when you excercise?

3. What about loose skin? I've heard that ppl that lose weight quickly often have loose skin to deal with. Has your skin started to tone up or was it not an issue for you or is it something you don't see improving over time?

THANK YOU!!!

dlm

Hi welcome to the board... I was home 3 days after surgery and did everything i did before surgery.(except eat)

I worked a 10 hr shift on my feet, mowed my grass and walked alot. My family always says I'm mentally slow anyway

so I guess that didn't change any. :P I really haven't had any problems. my port is still a little sore and sticks out, but I had

a tummy tuck years ago before my lapband so my upper tummy was still pretty flat. No one knew I had it done and they

still don't. I am so happy I had It done..It is a life style change. but knowing the weight I have lost so far is gone forever makes me

want to cry out of joy.. Good luck and ask away, everyone on this forum is helpful.

Hi Linda! Thank you for replying to my post. It's great to hear you continued to do all you do post surgery. work a ten hour shift, walk alot, and mow your grass? wow. I'm sold. Excellent news! haha

So, your port area is still sore? after 3 months post op? and it sticks out? hmmmm... i wonder if other ppl's port stick out too? did Dr Ortiz tell you why it sticks out? Is the port something that will always stay in your body?

Congrats on your wt loss! You look great in your pic btw, happy and attractive.

Thanks,

dlm

In another forum some one wrote "every one heals differently" and that is very true, but I do think it helps to hear others experiences, so at least if you have them... you'll know it's normal. Of all the research I did on the lap band I have not heard of stories like the one's you referenced.

Being 9 days post-band, I would like to think I have not felt or gone through any of the negative items you mentioned either.

I had/ have the gas pains, they are not so bad (the first 2 days were bothersome). I have soreness in the stomach area, nothing major.

In the first few days you realize just how much you need your stomach area... it hurt to laugh, sneeze, cough! But not extreme pain by any means.

I returned to work 5 days later, and have had no complaints of memory/ sharpness issues. I'm an computer engineer, and depend quite a bit on my wits. I have never gotten lost (post surgery). In fact I have had to drive myself to New Hampshire and Connecticut for several work meetings this past week (I live in MA). No hazyness or feelings of being spacey and my friends still laugh at my jokes, so I think my personality has remained intact.

The liquid phase is tough... I never realized how much I would miss the food, not just because I love food but for nutritional value as well. You have to make sure your intake is good, and full of the nurtients your body needs to heal. Keeping a journal may help with this.

There is great info and great people here, from recipies to questions you might not have wanted to ask, to reading about other peoples struggles and knowing you're not alone.

I understand what you're going through, I think we all went through questions and doubt, especially if you have heard such negative things about other types of bariatric surgeries. I am sure others will share their stories and I know it will help you!

Welcome to the forum!

And best of luck in your decision. I know I made the right one! :D

Hello JewelsMA!

Excellent to hear your experience thus far! How are you doing by the way? You must still be sipping on liquids since you were only 9 days post op when you replied to my original post. It good to hear you had no issues with memory/mental sharpness. I'm a bit concerned about the liquid phase and then the solid food intake only because the intake will be small and I want to make sure it's nutritious. Are you consuming store bought liquids or making your own? Have you noticed any differences in the way you feel depending on what intake choice you make? What about your port area...is it sore? have you started to excercise or is uncomfortable due to the port area soreness?

Thanks for the support and warm welcome. Best wishes to you.

dlm

Hi Everyone,

I just got banded Aug 21st. They took care of my hiatal hernia while they were in there, so my recovery was just a day or 2 longer. I never filled the pain meds - I wasn't in that much pain (kicked in the stomach and 1000 sittups pain, but not meds kind of pain)

I was back to work on day 6, I will admit to being more tired than usual and not able to have a stimulating conversation, but I don't think I was loopy or out of it. I still have to keep my crabbiness in check due to lack of carbs, but I think that goes along with the territory. There is a learning curve for everyone.

I'm on day 10 and I think all things considers, this is the best thing I've done.

The first 3 weeks before you can introduce "real food" back in are a bit trying but the results are well worth the journey.

I asked my Dr the same question about what are some of the draw backs and worst case scenarios he's seen, his response was non compliance by patients not following the lifestyle change.

The one thing I wish I'd have know was about the pain in your shoulder from the air they fill you with!! Yikes!

Best wishes!

~Kim

Hello MarinaBleu! Thanks for replying to my post and thanks for sharing your experience thus far. Can you tell me a little more about what you mean regarding shoulder pain due to air they fill you with?

Are you feeling tired/weak since you are still on the liquid phase, right? So, it's 21 days of liquids, right? fruit juices, broth? and what else is allowed? Did Dr Ortiz staff say there were any foods you won't be able to eat once the solid phase starts up? Also, how does your port area feel? does it protude under your skin or can you not tell you have a port?

thanks and congrats!!

dlm

Hello,

I'm post-op Day 17 and I admit the liquid phase has been tough. The hardest part was the first week to ten days because of the gas pains on top of the "mental" hunger for me. I just became physically hungery two days ago and I'll be the first to admit that I look forward to some crunchy salad. I miss veggies.

I have had some of the fogginess and forgetfullness but since I got those 42 gram protein bullets, I have felt better...and also if you can get it down, water helps a lot.

The only other complaint is the constipation...get your fiber down!! (Some people go the other way).

Overall, I've already lost 26 lbs. so, the good far "outweighs" the bad and the pain was minimal. Some soreness in the port area for the first 10 days but nothing that would incapacitate you. I also had joint pain, and just losing this first 25 lbs. has helped a lot!

Good Luck!

Hello AngelaAnn! wow. 26 lbs in 17 days. wow. congrats. Did Dr Ortiz recommend the protein bullets. are they in liquid or solid form and do they bother your stomach in any way? where do you buy them? how do get your fiber down when your on the liquid phase? i suppose you look for drinks with fiber, eh? haha i ask because i was thinking of drinking home make fruit juices and broth and i'm not sure how much fiber they have. btw, with such quick wt loss, have you noticed that your skin is loose or does it seem to be shrinking with you? thanks again and congrats on your success story!

dlm

Hello; I'm day 13 post-op and I feel wonderful!! I am sitting here eating cheesy enchilada soup(no chunks) and life is good. I will admit this lifestyle isn't for everyone but you have to decide for yourself and be totally 100% committed to it. I am still in the liquid stage and it is amazing how many soups are out there. I have a great group of friends/supporters who welcomed me back to Texas with a big basket of gas strips and soups, so I am good!

The best part about this journey is the change in attitude. I actually look forward to my future and I feel like everyday I am doing something positive and it has been a very long time since I felt that way. I have lost 11 lbs in 13 days. I have noticed that I am taking better care of myself with liquid vitamins and more fiber and more water. I have not noticed any bad side effects. I had the regular gas pains at first, no shoulder pains. The 21 day liquid phase is hard (due to certain habits) but I think this is something I can live with. A couple of times at night I kind of freaked out because something was INSIDE me, but I got over it. I am still in the healing stage but I look forward to working out (that NEVER happened before).

Good luck!!

Hello Francie! thank you for replying to my post and congats on you success! I'm wondering if you can feel your port if you press against your body? is it noticeable? someone said their's was. It's great to hear you are looking forward to working out. What about your skin? I've heard that ppl that lose wt rapidly sometimes have loose/sagging skin?

good luck to you in your wt loss journey!

Welcome to you all! I don't get banded until Oct, but I already know this is the best decision I've ever made!!!

hello! congrats on your surgery date. I haven't called Dr Ortiz' office yet but I'm getting close to calling! I hope I don't have to wait too long for a surgery date once I decide go forward.

Good Luck to you!

dlm

Thanks for asking all the right questions... I enjoy reading everyones responses.

Regarding the liquid diet, yes, I'm still on it... a few more days (I keep telling myself that). I try to keep myself busy with work so i don't notice until dinner time/ after work. Liquids can be so boring but then again I'm not all that creative. I know there are different types one could make, if they have a food processor and willing to use a blender. I just don't seem to have enough free time, so I stick with store bought juices and soups. Special K protein water is great, the drinkable yogurts are good.

And yes, I have started exercising again. I have an elipitcal at home and I enjoy going for walks. I was able to start those right away but found that I get tired quicker than I expected. I think this is due to the low calorie and lower protein during this phase. I try for about 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week.

As far as my port goes, I actually wondered myself if mine is "normal". As funny as that may sound.

I have mild soreness around it, I can definitely feel it through my skin, especially after finishing a bottle of water or other liquid. Its like I'm a little bloated from the drink and the port is right there. Mine is in the center, not off to any side and I think I may have some swelling left and it may go down.

I can bend over, and touch my toe's now with out any discomfort so I know I'm healing. And I assume the stitches are melting away or are already gone. I'm down 10 pounds so far, and thats encouraging.

If you have any other questions, please let me know!

Have a great day.