TLC-Fattest Man/Fattest Woman

This program really hit home how easily it is to keep gaining weight until it's completely disabiling.

A man who weighed 1200 lbs and could not get out of bed. He had someone wash and powder him daily to avoid fusing to the bed. He had leg ulcers and you could barely tell where one body part ended and the other began.

A woman who was bedridden and could not stand for more than 1 minute at a time, struggling to care for her young daughter. She could not do any household chores at all and helped her daughter get ready for school from her bed.

Some may wonder, how did they get so heavy, could they not stop before it got that bad? Maybe, maybe not? I doubled my body weight in 10 years. I was 140 after I had my second son was born, and 10 years later I was 285. And if I hadn't made this life changing decision, 10 years from now I could have been 425 lbs, etc.

This program was a huge wake-up call on how lucky we really are to have the opportunity and the means to be able to get the weight off and be healthy again!!

This program really hit home how easily it is to keep gaining weight until it's completely disabiling.

A man who weighed 1200 lbs and could not get out of bed. He had someone wash and powder him daily to avoid fusing to the bed. He had leg ulcers and you could barely tell where one body part ended and the other began.

A woman who was bedridden and could not stand for more than 1 minute at a time, struggling to care for her young daughter. She could not do any household chores at all and helped her daughter get ready for school from her bed.

Some may wonder, how did they get so heavy, could they not stop before it got that bad? Maybe, maybe not? I doubled my body weight in 10 years. I was 140 after I had my second son was born, and 10 years later I was 285. And if I hadn't made this life changing decision, 10 years from now I could have been 425 lbs, etc.

This program was a huge wake-up call on how lucky we really are to have the opportunity and the means to be able to get the weight off and be healthy again!!

I also watched that show. It broke my heart to see them struggle so much to do anything. I am so glad I got the band before my weight skyrocketed to that.

Hugs

Trudy

I saw that too.... it is heart breaking.

Did you see the guy who lost hundreds and hundreds of pounds in the 90's and has since gained it all back +??!!

he was following Richard Simmons and Richard even came to visit him from time to time. After the guy lost all the weight, he'd gone to a baseball game and decided to have a hot dog... then another and another and it snow balled from there.

To watch them trying to do the simplest things that we take for granted, like walk or get into a car, tore my heart out!

I still have an addiction to food, but thankfully I can't go back to gorging myself. Thank you God and Dr. Ortiz and Martinez!!

I watched the obesity in american program on TLC it was very good. It talked about being Fat and how fat people are disriminated against. I have always said we tell drug addicts, alcoholics etc.. that it's an "addiction" but when we see a fat person we automatically assume they are lazy and just eat to much. I have struggled with food addiction my ENTIRE life and everyday I am thankful for the lapband, without it I would be over 300lbs by now. I still struggle daily with head hunger and my "addiction" but the lapband does not allow me to overeat. I identify with the people on these show's and wish that everyone would watch and maybe see a different point of view.

Bless up everyone.

xox

I watch these shows all the time, really lets me know how lucky I am to put stop to the weight problem when I did. Can't wait to see follow up shows on the same people to find out what has happened to them as some of the shows are several years old now. TLC aqnd Discovery have the best programs of this nature.

I watched the show also. It is so sad how these people have to live. It would be tough to have to rely on people taking care of you, not being able to walk or unable to do anything yourself. I can't imagine. I am sooo thankful I got the band. It is soooo very true how discriminated over weight people are. I am still over weight, but at least the scale is going down and I am feeling better about myself. I wish medical treatment for obesity was alittle more reasonable or ins would pay for it. My health insurance will pay for alcohol addiction, smoking addiction, but will not pay for weight loss. It's a bunch of crap. I am so thankful I found a way to pay for my band, it is the best thing I have every done for myself.

I didn't get to see that show, but I do watch the Brookhaven show as well as Big Medicine and it is totally understandable how it happens to them. I used to be the same way...wondering how they could let it get that far, but I always said I would never let myself get over 175...then it was never shop at a store like Lane Bryant, then it was 200...you all get the picture! It sneaks up on you. But i'm glad i'm dealing with it now before it gets really out of control. My insurance won't help either (argh!) but i've figured out other plans to pay for it. Funny their only rationale was that I hadn't worked there over 3 years and they said they don't want to pay for something that expensive and then someone leave their job. Like I would work there only for the surgery and then quit. What a silly rationale! Gotta love our health care system in the US - but that is a whole different topic I won't start rambling about politics! :)

Back in January when I found out my insurance didn't cover the surgery, I was crushed. I figured I'd never get it done and was so depressed about it. Then I watched that show. And I KNEW it could easily be me in the same predicament. In fact, I used that show as one of the reasons in my letter to my insurance company begging them to pay for it. They did not. Iknew I had to find a way because I KNEW I would be those people in a very short time. So, I took a loan from my 401K and had it done. Although I had heard about banding years ago and wanted it done back then, that show in January WAS the catalyst for me to move my butt and go forward.