I'm so upset

So I got my first fill after waiting 5 whole long months because of money situation and not being able to find babysitters to watch the kids. Long story short its not working I have no restr. I can still eat what ever I want. What makes me mad the most is I am paying off this loan for nothing what a waste of money. I am so good about what I eat too. I just dont get it. Who knows how long it will be before I can go again!

Hi mailmom,

I understand your frustration, I too had no change in restriction from my first fill. My surgeon advised that it can take 3-4 fills before you hit your "sweetspot". I have had my second and restriction so far is really good.

Try not to be discouraged. Is there a fill centre closer to home that may not be as costly?

Good Luck!

The truth of the matter is the band will only work if you get fills until you get the right spot. The true cost of the band is not only the surgery, it's also the fills that go along with it.

I know it's too late for you now, but it's a good thing to know before you have the surgery. If you can't afford the 2 + fills you will need after the band, you should wait until you can. It seems that the average fill runs around $250. So when you're saving for the band, save an additional $500 - $1,000 for the fills.

Hang in there, you've got the band now, save a little each week for the next fill. Each one you get will bring you closer to your goal.

Hi Mail Mom,

You could also try to call all the bariatric surgeons in your area, some of them will the fills for much less. Mine charges me 50 dollars a fill, and if I have to go back within three weeks, it's free.

good luck, the band will work as a great tool, be patient.

Barb

I am so sorry to hear of your frustration mail mom. I know how you feel. Unfortunately it took me 3 fills to reach restriction. I have since had another fill. I agree with the rest, call around to the surgeons in your area and ask if they do the lap band, if so , most of them will do fills too. I know it is very expensive to fly back to OCC for fills, even though they are the best. I pay 150 for each of my fills, so give it a try. Best of luck

Don't give up! I know with my first fill I was pretty much the same I could eat just about whatever I wanted and only had restriction during the morning, but the 2nd fill has done a wonder for me. I have good restriction. So don't give up and it will come. Do check around and see where you might go local to get your fills. Also check on here and see about sharing rides to the OCC or taking the bus and trolley that will also save money. When I had my second fill, I shared the cost of the ride, and then a friend came and 1/2 the hotel cost so that is something to think about also on saving money.