Struggling

Hi everyone,

I felt compelled to write because I am near the point of tears.... I'm on day 12 of my post-op liquid diet. I'll be glad to never see a can of campbells soup again!!! Its not so bad if I avoid restaurants/bars or other social settings. But tonight, my significant other has invited some friends over to watch a baseball game and I know there is going to be munchies around. It's not that I don't like soup, because I really do enjoy it, I think whats bothering me most is feeling like I can't be in a social setting because most social settings are based on food. And I can't stand the thought of being deprived of what others around me are having. It was my choice to get the band and to go through this process so I don't regret it one minute. I was doing really well for the first week but its starting to weigh on me. I really can't wait to be able eat solids again. I would love to just avoid the entire situation tonight, but doing that would be rude. However, I did tell my partner that if I cant take it, I'm going out for a drive to get away from it.

Part of me feels like we shouldn't be having company right now until I'm past this stage and the other part of me feels that this was my choice and others around me shouldn't have to suffer.

Wish me luck tonight, because I'll need it!

Hi everyone,

I felt compelled to write because I am near the point of tears.... I'm on day 12 of my post-op liquid diet. I'll be glad to never see a can of campbells soup again!!! Its not so bad if I avoid restaurants/bars or other social settings. But tonight, my significant other has invited some friends over to watch a baseball game and I know there is going to be munchies around. It's not that I don't like soup, because I really do enjoy it, I think whats bothering me most is feeling like I can't be in a social setting because most social settings are based on food. And I can't stand the thought of being deprived of what others around me are having. It was my choice to get the band and to go through this process so I don't regret it one minute. I was doing really well for the first week but its starting to weigh on me. I really can't wait to be able eat solids again. I would love to just avoid the entire situation tonight, but doing that would be rude. However, I did tell my partner that if I cant take it, I'm going out for a drive to get away from it.

Part of me feels like we shouldn't be having company right now until I'm past this stage and the other part of me feels that this was my choice and others around me shouldn't have to suffer.

Wow Christina! That would be very difficult! It is very hard to be in a social setting when you can't eat! I will definitely be thinking of you tonight! If I were there, I would be drinking broth or cream of chicken with you. :( Just know that you didn't come this far to fail! Be strong!!! And if it gets hard tonight, go get on the computer and jump on the shout box. Someone will be here to support you! You are doing great!

Can't even imagine what you are going through but stay strong! About 18 days into my post op I have to take a weekend trip to wedding dress shop with a friend. It is gonna be so very hard, but just think it is temporary. If you can get through this you can get through anything!!!!!

Good luck!!!

Hey Christina,

Give yourself a big pat on the back for taking control of your life and getting the band. I am 45 years old and have wasted a lifetime being fat and using food to soothe my feelings and hurts in life....I have been depressed for years and have just been banded too. I come off of the liquid phase this Thursday and I have got to admit that this last week has been harder than the pre-op and the first two weeks of liquids. I just keep telling myself that it has got to change, there is no other option and my days using food as my drug are over and done with. You go girl!!! You have a 14 year jump on me in enjoying your life. You may need to excuse yourself from these situations for now but as you gain control I am sure you will gain insight into how to deal with them in the future.

Cheers,

KIM

Hi everyone,

Hi Christina,

Girl, I am right there with you. I was banded the day before you and I am going NUTSO!!! To make matters worse, we had company all last week and my husband BBQ'd all week. Rib Eye with bleu cheese, Ribs, stuffed sausage, and spicy asian chicken. (he is fabulous with food) Of course, BBQs have always been my weakness. Yes, I had to go to bed early one night and another night I went out for a drive. I soooooo understand the power of the social eating circle. I figure, I had my temptations and instead of feeling like crap about myself after wolfing it all down, I stand on the scale and lose a pound. We have to remember this is only for 3 weeks and we are already way past half done. Thank GOD!!!!! Sometimes being "rude" is alright. It is these situations that got ourselves into the predicament that we are in now. I wish you all the luck in the world. We are so close to the end of HELL and will be able to test this baby out(not really) but getting to feel like normal again is going to be nice. Hang in THERE

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to all that posted words of encouragement. I have to admit that I did actually breakdown last night and had a little cry and I sat down to talk with my partner and explain how difficult this time really is for me. She too is overweight so she understands my weaknesses but I don't think anyone can fully understand what we go through post-op on this liquid phase. Because I've put on such a strong front, she didnt realize how much I was struggling until I broke it down for her. After that she felt horrible about even having the company over.

After the tears and slight meltdown, I picked myself up, sat down for a yummy bowl of soup and sat in with the crowd of others while they ate their snacks. In between, I did some schoolwork to keep occupied but all in all, I stayed strong like all of you suggested and today I feel really proud of myself. I know I can get through this... actually, I have no choice but to get through this. And I really appreciate all of the support and experience on this forum. I'm so very grateful to have a place to come and be heard and understood by others who have been there or who are at the same place as me.

Last night felt like the end of the world for me and today I feel like it was no big thing and I could do it again if I had to. I guess its all about perspective!

Thanks again everyone for being there for me and understanding me!

I can totally relate to you. I got my band July 6 and that was gratuation month. It seem like everybody I knew either had a gratuation party or just a party. I had fathers day also and I couldn't a solid thing. It was horrible. What I just started to do was not go. I did not care if it was rude or not. I had to think about myself for once. It was a really hard time but it was all worth it. As you can see I am 53 pounds lighter so I do not regret being "rude" and not showing up cuz know I do show up just much slimmer. You can do it!! Leave and go do something else if you start feeling uneasy. Before they get there have your meal and have a protein shake on hand. When you feel like eating have the shake and if that doesn't work then just walk out and go for a drive and remember that you are doing this for you not anybody else. YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!!! Good luck. ;)

Alexandra

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to all that posted words of encouragement. I have to admit that I did actually breakdown last night and had a little cry and I sat down to talk with my partner and explain how difficult this time really is for me. She too is overweight so she understands my weaknesses but I don't think anyone can fully understand what we go through post-op on this liquid phase. Because I've put on such a strong front, she didnt realize how much I was struggling until I broke it down for her. After that she felt horrible about even having the company over.

After the tears and slight meltdown, I picked myself up, sat down for a yummy bowl of soup and sat in with the crowd of others while they ate their snacks. In between, I did some schoolwork to keep occupied but all in all, I stayed strong like all of you suggested and today I feel really proud of myself. I know I can get through this... actually, I have no choice but to get through this. And I really appreciate all of the support and experience on this forum. I'm so very grateful to have a place to come and be heard and understood by others who have been there or who are at the same place as me.

Last night felt like the end of the world for me and today I feel like it was no big thing and I could do it again if I had to. I guess its all about perspective!

Thanks again everyone for being there for me and understanding me!

I knew you would bounce back! ;) And in a year from now, you will be a thin and all of these feelings will be so worth it! (actually, you already know they are worth it) HIGH FIVE!

Good for you for staying strong!!!! I know how difficult it is. I have 2 more days after today on this postop diet and over the weekend some of my daughters came from out of town for a visit. My husband ordered pizza and I got to eat soup. My husband grilled and I got to eat soup. But, like you said, it's over now and I'm proud of myself for staying on the diet. To be honest, I'm a bit afraid of what I will eat when it's time for me to eat....I KNOW I'm not going to be one to shove everything in my mouth because I'm terrified of getting something stuck...lol.

Anyway...congrats to you for staying on target! :lb13:

That 21 days sucks, but passes before you know it. We go to the lake on the weekends, and I am the official cook. I had to grill steaks for everyone, and I had to eat soup. Grilled soup sucks by the way. I found some soup that I really liked, it was Campbells creamy parmesan tomato bisque. I only found it in 1 place and never found it again, so I tried puttin a little parmesan cheese sprinkles in my tomato soup and it helped. I don't know if it is on the diet or not, but it didn't require any chewing, so I ran with it.

I am in week 1 still of post opt diet and hear ya about watching other people eat. When my boyfriend has dinner I go watch tv in the bedroom so I dont have to deal with it. My best friend was kind enough to invite me to a movie and promised she wouldnt eat 1 bite of popcorn in front of me, not that I am big popcorn fan like her. The support from friends is great, just remember its good to feel full before these type of events so you wont feel the need to splurge.

During the pre-opt phase I got some grilled chicken before I went to a Pro Football game, and boy was I glad. The guy (i didnt know) next to me was eating a polish dog with mustard and saurkraut, and could smell it so good that I could taste it almost. I envisioned me taking the dog out his hand taking a bite and given it back with a big thank you. The experience reminded me be prepared.

Cheers,

Tara

Hang in there. Make sure you eat before everyone gets there, if you're not hungry it makes it a bit easier. Try homemade soups if you can, they seem to be a bit more satisfying. What I do is make the soup like usual then just put it in the blender tillit's liquified. The taste makes a big difference.

I'm so glad you made it through! And you should be proud of yourself!!!! I've made several plans this week that will fall during my post op and I am already worried about it. One is a trip out of town and another is a football game. We are crazy with tailgating so that is gonna be really tough eating soup, but I know it is gonna be worth it!

Vix, I can't believe it's been that long since you were banded - it seems like it was just yesterday! I know it probably seems a lot longer for you of course, but I hope my 21 days flies like yours has!

Hi Christina, we were banded on the same day and I am struggling a little bit too. I went out for dinner with my son on Sunday and he was eating buffalo wings, fries and dipping it in ranch. It smelled so good! I found myself getting really angry that he ordered my favorite thing to eat. HOW INCONSIDERATE! However, he is a 17 year old boy and can pack about 3,000 calories away and I am in this situation because of the poor food choices that I made in the past.

I just keep reminding myself of how much money I spent so I could live longer and feel better. There are so many people out there that wish they could afford the procedure but can't. We were blessed to be able to make the change.

Here are my fixes: Applebees Tomato Basil Soup. Otter Pops, Fat Free/Sugar Free Fudge Pops, and sugar free jello, LEAN Body Protein Shakes

I am here for you!

Steph