ARIZONA

Okay - truth time. I haven't been on in a while, partly because of time contraints, and partly because i am so discouraged. I have lost NO weight because of the band. Dr. Ortiz did a wonderful job - everyone at the OCC is fabulous. Having said that, I feel like maybe this wasn't the right choice for me. I am down 15 pounds since day of surgery and all if it has been since I started Weight Watchers again and had an unfill. I eat what I am supposed to, I work out. I do EVERYTHING that everyone tells me to and nothing. (Truly - none of this is the problem.) I would take small bites, chew like a mad woman and PB until I was so streched out that I could eat whatever and however much I wanted. The next meal, same routine. Finally, my husband said enough and I had an unfill (not all the way) which allows me to eat without PBing at every meal, but still gives me no restriction. Is my body just not suited for this? Teri, I know that you have been through the same fill/unfill battle as I have and if I read correctly, you are down close to the same amount as I am. How do you stay positive and not get frustrated? I really don't want to give up on the band, but Weight Watchers is helping me see results when the band didn't...

The crazy thing is............I assumed all the dieting crap would be gone with getting the band. In my own mind, I thought I would be able to eat less food. I do eat less with this amount of restriction, but my choices are not diet foods. It stands to reason if you follow weight watchers you will lose weight or any diet for that matter, with or without the band. Just havent figured things out yet. For me to lose weight with the band, restriction has got to be very tight because IF I have to rely on my willpower, forget it, it just isnt going to happen. Not for life anyway. My next fill, if I dont tighten in between getting the next fill, will be 4cc's. That will be a true test for me with the band. I havent experienced the "restriction swings" with the reg. saline like I did with the thicker saline. What is most frustrating is the huge swings. Finding the sweet spot has been my problem. I can relate with you. A happy medium would be nice. I still have room in the 4cc band, not much, but some room. I have heard/read some people needing the full 4cc to hit that sweet spot. Watch it be me.????????????? hhheheheheh Hang in there stockprincess.!!!! Great Work Cyndi!!!!

Teri

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The crazy thing is............I assumed all the dieting crap would be gone with getting the band. In my own mind, I thought I would be able to eat less food. I do eat less with this amount of restriction, but my choices are not diet foods. It stands to reason if you follow weight watchers you will lose weight or any diet for that matter, with or without the band. Just havent figured things out yet. For me to lose weight with the band, restriction has got to be very tight because IF I have to rely on my willpower, forget it, it just isnt going to happen. Not for life anyway. My next fill, if I dont tighten in between getting the next fill, will be 4cc's. That will be a true test for me with the band. I havent experienced the "restriction swings" with the reg. saline like I did with the thicker saline. What is most frustrating is the huge swings. Finding the sweet spot has been my problem. I can relate with you. A happy medium would be nice. I still have room in the 4cc band, not much, but some room. I have heard/read some people needing the full 4cc to hit that sweet spot. Watch it be me.????????????? hhheheheheh Hang in there stockprincess.!!!! Great Work Cyndi!!!!

Teri

HI TERI,

MORE THEN ONCE YOU'VE MENTIONED THIS "THICK" SALINE AND I KNOW ON ANOTHER THREAD WE HAD ASKED YOU ABOUT IT BUT LOOKS LIKE YOU DIDN'T SEE IT.

CAN YOU PLEASE GO INTO SOME DETAIL ON THIS? I'VE JUST NEVER HEARD OF IT AND WOULD LOVE SOME INFORMATION

THANKS

HI TERI,

MORE THEN ONCE YOU'VE MENTIONED THIS "THICK" SALINE AND I KNOW ON ANOTHER THREAD WE HAD ASKED YOU ABOUT IT BUT LOOKS LIKE YOU DIDN'T SEE IT.

CAN YOU PLEASE GO INTO SOME DETAIL ON THIS? I'VE JUST NEVER HEARD OF IT AND WOULD LOVE SOME INFORMATION

THANKS

From what I've learned, it has more "salt" in the saline, which makes food stay in the pouch longer because its thicker than the saline OCC uses. For me, I experienced the wild restriction swings. It would tighten up weeks later, so much so that I couldnt even take a sip of water. It even felt funny. I could literally feel the band working when eating. It worked. I lost 31 pounds and was down to 154, but with troubles. I PB'd so many times just on water, I could taste the plastic of the band. I was never hungry and didn't even want to eat. I loved that I was loosing weight and would have kept using the thicker saline if I could have only kept water down. I first read about it on lapbandtalk.com. and the local person I use for fills suggested it. She's only local once a month, and then I would have to take a 7 hour day to drive to see her if I was to tight. That was the bummer. I tried to peg the right amount for me, but it just kept getting tighter with time. Thats when I switched back. Just couldn't adjust it properly. How was your tuck??? Teri

From what I've learned, it has more "salt" in the saline, which makes food stay in the pouch longer because its thicker than the saline OCC uses. For me, I experienced the wild restriction swings. It would tighten up weeks later, so much so that I couldnt even take a sip of water. It even felt funny. I could literally feel the band working when eating. It worked. I lost 31 pounds and was down to 154, but with troubles. I PB'd so many times just on water, I could taste the plastic of the band. I was never hungry and didn't even want to eat. I loved that I was loosing weight and would have kept using the thicker saline if I could have only kept water down. I first read about it on lapbandtalk.com. and the local person I use for fills suggested it. She's only local once a month, and then I would have to take a 7 hour day to drive to see her if I was to tight. That was the bummer. I tried to peg the right amount for me, but it just kept getting tighter with time. Thats when I switched back. Just couldn't adjust it properly. How was your tuck??? Teri

THANKS TERI,

HAVE OTHERS EXPERIENCED THE SAME ISSUES WITH IT?

TUCKS GETTING WORSE :blink: WHICH THEY TOLD ME IT WOULD. I'M IN WHAT THEY CALL SWELL HELL WHICH STARTED A DAY OR TWO AGO. THEY SAY IT CAN LAST A MONTH. AFTER THAT, THE SWELLINGS ON AND OFF FROM TWO MONTHS TO A YEAR. MY LITTLE SISSY HAD A BREAST REDUCTION ABOUT A YEAR AGO, SHE SAYS THIS TOO SHELL PASS LIKE HERS DID :) I HOPE SO LOL

THANKS TERI,

HAVE OTHERS EXPERIENCED THE SAME ISSUES WITH IT?

TUCKS GETTING WORSE :blink: WHICH THEY TOLD ME IT WOULD. I'M IN WHAT THEY CALL SWELL HELL WHICH STARTED A DAY OR TWO AGO. THEY SAY IT CAN LAST A MONTH. AFTER THAT, THE SWELLINGS ON AND OFF FROM TWO MONTHS TO A YEAR. MY LITTLE SISSY HAD A BREAST REDUCTION ABOUT A YEAR AGO, SHE SAYS THIS TOO SHELL PASS LIKE HERS DID :) I HOPE SO LOL

I'm not sure Pammie about others experiencing the same issues with the thicker saline. Geeze, hopefully you won't have that swelling for to long. Was it or is it painful? Have you notice a big difference?? Teri

I'm not sure Pammie about others experiencing the same issues with the thicker saline. Geeze, hopefully you won't have that swelling for to long. Was it or is it painful? Have you notice a big difference?? Teri

OO YEAH, A BIG DIFFERENCE RIGHT OFF THE BAT, WHEN I LOOK DOWN I CAN SEE ME WHO WHO LOL

IT WASN'T PAINFUL AT ALL, SORE YES, BUT NOT PAINFUL. I WAS ON THE PAIN MEDS FOR LESS THEN A WEEK, THEY WERE KEEPING ME DOWN BUT MY HEAD WAS TO FUZZY

OO YEAH, A BIG DIFFERENCE RIGHT OFF THE BAT, WHEN I LOOK DOWN I CAN SEE ME WHO WHO LOL

IT WASN'T PAINFUL AT ALL, SORE YES, BUT NOT PAINFUL. I WAS ON THE PAIN MEDS FOR LESS THEN A WEEK, THEY WERE KEEPING ME DOWN BUT MY HEAD WAS TO FUZZY

You'll have to post's some new pics!! Not sure if you already have. ??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just updating - it has been almost a year - it flies by just like everything else- turned 36 on Monday September 3rd- Opened a AVON Beauty Center here in Arizona on Saturday September 1st - and I have been stressing stressing stressing and can we say stressing LOL kids are full gear into school 2 are at the high school and the younger one is elementary but started playing full contact football this year UGH :unsure: ////life is crazy before we know it it will be the holidays then we will be worrying about remebering to put 2008 on our checks---at least for those of us that still write one---LOL i have been lurking but not much time to post so I thought I would give a update and let everyone know I still read and stay connected that way ---hope all is well and here are some new pictures of me

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/cyndiwilson/

the pictures in the profile are dated so you can see the good and bad ---I love the good ones---- need to get more recent ones cause I have had so many people say that it looks like I have lost SOOOOOOO much weight - I think it's just cause I went shopping for clothes that actually fit - but not too many due to the weightloss is still going --------hope you have a GRAND BAND DAY

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to update & say thank you to Teri & Cyndi! I got a fill this morning in Mesa. It was Wendy's daughter, Tammy who did mine. My first fill! I was stressed out but very pleased. After the fill I went to the back and weighed myself. I feel like the scales could've been wrong... but maybe not. I'm just so excited! It said 215!! Haven't weighed 215 in over 10 years!! My pre-op weight was 270! So thanks for the good info! It was inexpensive and pain free. I hope I have some restriction. We'll see!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone, I haven't been on for a very long time. I was banded in Oct 2006 around the same time as Cindy. I live in Dewey, AZ (outside of Prescott) about 45 mins north of Phoenix. Please help.....I am so frustrated. I have not lost ANY more weight than the pre-op/post-op time. The original 25 pounds. I have lost inches though. I'm down almost 4 sizes. But I can't seem to lose any more. I have heard that stress is a huge factor in the PB'ing. Any truth? I haven't been able to keep hardly anything down the last month or so (and haven't lost anything there either). I've also noticed the same feeling around "that time of the month". Although I have had a partial hysterectomy, I still get the monthly symptons. Anytime of the month I definitely can't eat anything until I've been awake for atleast 3-4 hours. I have tried yogurt/drinkable yogurts too...they barely go down. I have found very few foods that religiously work or don't. Some days I can eat a particular food then other days I can't. Any ideas why? I'm not hungry that much and don't really eat much at one sitting. There is alot of food I know I should be eating but have trouble with...apples, bananas, carrots, etc. I can eat plain salads though with no problem. I haven't been able to eat any kind of cereal yet either. I get some exercise in because of being so busy around the house...we have a small farm so we're always doing chores of some kind. I just don't know what else to do. I have had 2 fills. Unfortunately, I don't know how much I have in me or what kind of band I have. Any advice from anyone??????????

• 4 months later...

Nicole,

Were you banded by Dr Ortiz? Have you had fluoroscopy with your fills? I would want a doctor to examine my band placement and give professional advice. My husband and I have actually driven to San Ysidro and back to Surprise in a day for fills. The office is open on Saturdays if you can't get away during the week. It would be worth it to me to get checked out.