ARIZONA

I just thought I would start a new topic for the people that are in Arizona - hope this helps with flying or driving into San Diego for your surgery date or a fill :D I live in Gold Canyon , AZ and will be banded on Tuesday October 10th --boy is it getting close - I now actually do have the jitters setting in --I have a husband and 3 children that know all about my upcoming surgery-my husband is very supportive - my oldest daughter is probably as nervous as I am - the next daughter is at the age of who cares- and my son won't have anyone to cozy with for 3 days while I am away ---- :( I hope to meet a lot of local people to share and meet and talk about our upcoming experience- and to provide support for those that will be needing it soon- please jump on board and introduce yourselves - i will work very hard at keeping this thread going ----I love what the state of Washington has done with thier little group and meeting possibly on occasion is not too far out for this group to start doing.. hope to hear from other zonies soon!!!! B)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Cyndi!

My name is Michelle and I am from Phoenix. I was banded by Dr. Ortiz on August 31st. It was a great experience! My incisions are healing well and the only pain I experienced was around the port area for the first week. Dr. Ortiz is very nice, not to mention handsome. He is also very experienced so you are in great hands.

I would love to meet with other AZ bandsters. Is Gold Canyon far from Phoenix? I have lived here most of my life and have nevery heard of it.

Good luck with your surgery. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Michelle

Hi Cindy,

I too live in Arizona....in Cave Creek...which as you probably know is just north of Scottsdale. I had my surgery done on July 18, 2006 by the wonderful Dr. Ortiz. It is a great idea that you started the Arizona site so us bandsters can discuss and help each other out in with our new journey. Just a brief on me, I got my first fill on August 30th and not much happened. I fluctuated between 278 and 275 with no restriction. I went for my second fill last week on September 21st. I weighed myself this morning and I am now at 270 pounds and I did not know what restriction was after the first fill but believe you me...I DO know what restriction is now :blink: .. I have had a few episodes where I had to stop eating, but I am finally losing weight again so I am very happy. Oh by the way my second fill was big...4.2 cc's. I walk a mile so far everyday (just started a few days ago :rolleyes: ) But the weather is so nice at night now, me and my husband love the walk around the neighborhood. Anyways, just want to say good luck in your new journey and keep us posted on how everyone is doing...especially us in Arizona. Talk to you soon,

Deb

Hi Cyndi!

My name is Michelle and I am from Phoenix. I was banded by Dr. Ortiz on August 31st. It was a great experience! My incisions are healing well and the only pain I experienced was around the port area for the first week. Dr. Ortiz is very nice, not to mention handsome. He is also very experienced so you are in great hands.

I would love to meet with other AZ bandsters. Is Gold Canyon far from Phoenix? I have lived here most of my life and have nevery heard of it.

Good luck with your surgery. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Michelle

Gold Canyon is east of Apache Junction on the way to Superior/Globe area at the base of the Superstition Mountains..

how are you doing being banded? I am getting very nervous I started my pre op yesterday so I oughta start getting really grumpy soon - less than 2 weeks till surgery thank you for the prayers...... ;)

:D

:lol:

Hi Cindy,

I too live in Arizona....in Cave Creek...which as you probably know is just north of Scottsdale. I had my surgery done on July 18, 2006 by the wonderful Dr. Ortiz. It is a great idea that you started the Arizona site so us bandsters can discuss and help each other out in with our new journey. Just a brief on me, I got my first fill on August 30th and not much happened. I fluctuated between 278 and 275 with no restriction. I went for my second fill last week on September 21st. I weighed myself this morning and I am now at 270 pounds and I did not know what restriction was after the first fill but believe you me...I DO know what restriction is now :blink: .. I have had a few episodes where I had to stop eating, but I am finally losing weight again so I am very happy. Oh by the way my second fill was big...4.2 cc's. I walk a mile so far everyday (just started a few days ago :rolleyes: ) But the weather is so nice at night now, me and my husband love the walk around the neighborhood. Anyways, just want to say good luck in your new journey and keep us posted on how everyone is doing...especially us in Arizona. Talk to you soon,

Deb

Most definatly have to agree with you onthe weather --wouldn't mind it warming up :o a little bit to bring the temp back up in the pool have relatives coming at the end of november --would love to swim --but we will see--I can't wait to feel restriction :lol:

Hello all in Arizona,

I am from Surprise, Az. I was banded 9/18. All has been going well since then. Preop diet went well after the 2nd day. So far the post op liquid diet has been fine. Very surprisingly broth turned out to be filling. I am finally able to have yogurt and soup. YEAH! My husband will be banded 10/6. Glad to see lots from Arizona. Who is planning on going back to TJ for fills? Has anyone found a doctor in Az that will do fills? I know my husband and I will be going to TJ for our first fills at least. Good luck to all upcoming surgeries!

Kelly

• 2 weeks later...
:rolleyes: Okay check in time --everyone in AZ .... less than 2 weeks for my surgery --still very nervous ---I pay for surgery Tuesday October 10th and it's a done deal...... :blink: I am starting that pre-op again this weekend I stopped last week when I had to move my surgery back a little ----working on getting the time off from work---everything is working well there also - only you guys - my best :blink: friend Jaime and my DH and kids know I am having the surgery - I also put in 10.00 in the jar at work with co-workers to see who can lose teh most weight at work LOL --I believe there are about 20 of us --- :rolleyes: I feel like I am cheating but there weren't rules on how we could lose the weight some have joined weight watchers and gyms well I invested a little more :rolleyes: this contest is in effect now through the end of the year Dec 31st - they willstart over at the begining another 10.00 and 3 monthes ---hope everyone has a wonderful weekend

Hi all of you AZ Bandsters!! I am new to this Forum. I live in Peoria and have been considering having the Lap Band surgery. I spoke with Dr. Ortiz on the phone last week and he is extremely nice and knowledgable. My boss had Lap Band surgery a year ago by a Dr. in Phoenix and has lost 95 lbs to date! Yeah. I am inspired! As I read all of your posts, especially those getting ready for surgery I feel your nervousness! I am nervous just trying to make this decision in my life. I need to lose 50 lbs and my BMI is 31.5. I guess I am most afraid of failing! Yikes...however everyone here seems to be really glad they made this life changing choice.

Lisa

Hi all,

I am new to banding also. I am scheduled for surgery on the 12th...only a few days away. We fly in to San Diego Wednesday morning for pre-ops. I am so nervous but also excited and anxious to start my new life. This weight has kept me from doing so many things and now I can't wait to get it off. I live in Dewey, outside of Prescott. I was on a website (can't remember where now) but they were talking about a doctor here in AZ that does fills for patients who had surgery in Mexico. She lives around Show Low and travels to Phoenix once a mont I believe. I am looking again to find her name. I will let you know when I find it. I would like to go back to Dr. Ortiz for atleast my first fill. If anyone is interested in traveling together, holler!! Best wishes to the upcoming bandster.

Nicole

Hi all,

I am new to banding also. I am scheduled for surgery on the 12th...only a few days away. We fly in to San Diego Wednesday morning for pre-ops. I am so nervous but also excited and anxious to start my new life. This weight has kept me from doing so many things and now I can't wait to get it off. I live in Dewey, outside of Prescott. I was on a website (can't remember where now) but they were talking about a doctor here in AZ that does fills for patients who had surgery in Mexico. She lives around Show Low and travels to Phoenix once a mont I believe. I am looking again to find her name. I will let you know when I find it. I would like to go back to Dr. Ortiz for atleast my first fill. If anyone is interested in traveling together, holler!! Best wishes to the upcoming bandster.

Nicole

Hey Nicole

my original date was to be tommorow but I had to postpone a week so I will be banded on 10-17 next Tuesday :blink: good luck to you- I alos heard about that MD that does the fills - I will go to MD ortiz aleast for a fill or more who knows - with the border being tighter at the first of teh year we will need passports--I don't have one yet :unsure::ph34r: will they let me back :ph34r: LOL anyway I am in Gold Canyon - hoping to get this thread alittle more active for us bandsters here in AZ- my friend will be traveling with me while the husband is home with the kids B)

Hey Nicole

my original date was to be tommorow but I had to postpone a week so I will be banded on 10-17 next Tuesday :blink: good luck to you- I alos heard about that MD that does the fills - I will go to MD ortiz aleast for a fill or more who knows - with the border being tighter at the first of teh year we will need passports--I don't have one yet :unsure::ph34r: will they let me back :ph34r: LOL anyway I am in Gold Canyon - hoping to get this thread alittle more active for us bandsters here in AZ- my friend will be traveling with me while the husband is home with the kids B)

Hi Cyndi,

Wow...I was all ready to tell you Good Luck on your surgery tomorrow...but at least you only had to wait a week before you went back...took me a month...LOL. How are you feeling? How is your pre-op diet going? At least you got an extra week to get ready for the surgery. I had my first two fills in TJ and will probably keep going down there to do my fills. I found that if we go in the middle of the week, it is not bad to just drive across the border and get my fill and then drive back to San Diego. The wait for both fills was only about 45 minutes at the border. Good Luck with your surgery next week and to all Arizonians that will take the same journey you are. Keep us posted on how it goes...

Deb

Hi all,

Nicole

Hi Nicole,

Just want to say Good Luck to you with your surgery in a few days. Keep us posted on how everything goes. I have the information on who the lady is. Her name is Wendy Hall and she is usually in her Snowflake office on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Her phone number is (928)536-5377. I am not sure how much she charges, but if you give her a call she will let you know when she is in the valley. I have never used her as I have done both of my fill in TJ with Dr. Romero. I feel more comfortable going to TJ to get my fills done. Take care and congrats on your decision to change your life. Hope this helps.

Deb

Hi Cyndi,

Wow...I was all ready to tell you Good Luck on your surgery tomorrow...but at least you only had to wait a week before you went back...took me a month...LOL. How are you feeling? How is your pre-op diet going? At least you got an extra week to get ready for the surgery. I had my first two fills in TJ and will probably keep going down there to do my fills. I found that if we go in the middle of the week, it is not bad to just drive across the border and get my fill and then drive back to San Diego. The wait for both fills was only about 45 minutes at the border. Good Luck with your surgery next week and to all Arizonians that will take the same journey you are. Keep us posted on how it goes...

Deb

Hi Nicole,

Just want to say Good Luck to you with your surgery in a few days. Keep us posted on how everything goes. I have the information on who the lady is. Her name is Wendy Hall and she is usually in her Snowflake office on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Her phone number is (928)536-5377. I am not sure how much she charges, but if you give her a call she will let you know when she is in the valley. I have never used her as I have done both of my fill in TJ with Dr. Romero. I feel more comfortable going to TJ to get my fills done. Take care and congrats on your decision to change your life. Hope this helps.

Deb

Hi I am Cely and I am from AZ mesa to be exact and I got banded in May 17,06.

How are you doing Cindy? Hope everything whent ok! Well I too have had both of my fills in TJ I had a doctor do two of them here in PHX, but I had problems with him so I decided to go back to TJ I am fine now.

Hi I am Cely and I am from AZ mesa to be exact and I got banded in May 17,06.

How are you doing Cindy? Hope everything whent ok! Well I too have had both of my fills in TJ I had a doctor do two of them here in PHX, but I had problems with him so I decided to go back to TJ I am fine now.

Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday I fly out tommorow the 16th of october --- packing as I speak---LOL taking camera and comfi clothes -----and the laptop.....I will post more tommorow

Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday I fly out tommorow the 16th of october --- packing as I speak---LOL taking camera and comfi clothes -----and the laptop.....I will post more tommorow

Cyndi,

I hope all went well and everything is how you hoped it would be. I was banded by Dr. Ortiz on Aug. 24, 2006, and I live in Gilbert, AZ. I have only lost 20 lbs but that is better then putting on 20. The nurse Wende comes down to an office in Mesa once a month and she charges $100 for a fill with out Fluro. A lot of people use her, but I feel safer going to TJ. Let us know how everything went.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cindy,

Thought I'd pop in AZ catagory to see how you are doing? I will call you before we leave. I hope you are doing ok still. I have been a non stop researcher, practically 24/7. :rolleyes: I'm having so many pains in my stomach area just from thinking thinking thinking about going through the experience. YIKES. Talk to you soon. Teri :o

Hi Cindy,

Thought I'd pop in AZ catagory to see how you are doing? I will call you before we leave. I hope you are doing ok still. I have been a non stop researcher, practically 24/7. :rolleyes: I'm having so many pains in my stomach area just from thinking thinking thinking about going through the experience. YIKES. Talk to you soon. Teri :o

Well, here goes!!!!! Kyle and I leave for the airport in 45 minutes. I will talk with you when we are back and hopefully banded! Enjoy the rest of the week.

Teri

Well, here goes!!!!! Kyle and I leave for the airport in 45 minutes. I will talk with you when we are back and hopefully banded! Enjoy the rest of the week.

Teri

Well today is the day - hope everything went well for you and Kyle- I am thinking about both of you----talk with you on Friday

Cyndi

Well today is the day - hope everything went well for you and Kyle- I am thinking about both of you----talk with you on Friday

Cyndi

Hey Cyndi!!

Its kyle by the way...

Me and my mom are sitting here at the computers, but she is going to to watch the biggest loser..

We are banded!! I am felling very good and very fu;;, the nurse just gave us a popsicle and chicken broth...and we are FULL!! It is GEARRRRTTTTTT!! i am so excited for the road ahead...

Kyle=D

Hey Cyndi!!

Its kyle by the way...

Me and my mom are sitting here at the computers, but she is going to to watch the biggest loser..

We are banded!! I am felling very good and very fu;;, the nurse just gave us a popsicle and chicken broth...and we are FULL!! It is GEARRRRTTTTTT!! i am so excited for the road ahead...

Kyle=D

Hey Kyle- I am glad you 2 are doing good- you did very good on your pre- op lost 10 lbs----- teh popsicle was tooo sweet for me and still is - tell your MOM I said Hi - the fullness comes from being swollen so just imagine in your mind that is what you will fell like for the next few days and I also told your mom that the grumbles may start you need to just ignore them and sip water or broth or gatorade - be strong I know you 2 can do it and it will help me to - we are only banded 2 weeks apart so I am older than you LOL ---I will write more later keep me posted on how you guys are doing- p.s when you get to the hotel - in the mexican food restaurant they have the broth you will be eating - there is enough for both of you go ahead and share it ..... Everyone has been talking about the CLite you can get - don't bother at this time I have a ton that I brought back and you 2 are more than welcome to some ---- to see if you like it ---it is way to sweet for me. CYNDI ;)

Cyndi it's Kevin - How are you? Weight loss going well? How about your healing? I am getting ready to start real exercise not just walking this next week. I still get tired and as I lose weight I am feeling the cold air more than I used to. Have you tried solids? If so how did it go? I haven't yet. Waiting until Thanksgiving to do my first test on solids. Going in on Nov. 27 for first fill. Hope about you any plans yet? Can you believe how time is flying. Seems like we were just banded and now its 3 weeks out. Wish I had been able to spend more time with you post-op. Really enjoyed our talk the evening of surgery.

By the way we are heading to Prescott to see my wife's parents for Christmas. I know it's not close to you but it is Arizona.

Just wanted to say "hi" and hope you are doing well! Kevin

Cyndi it's Kevin - How are you? Weight loss going well? How about your healing? I am getting ready to start real exercise not just walking this next week. I still get tired and as I lose weight I am feeling the cold air more than I used to. Have you tried solids? If so how did it go? I haven't yet. Waiting until Thanksgiving to do my first test on solids. Going in on Nov. 27 for first fill. Hope about you any plans yet? Can you believe how time is flying. Seems like we were just banded and now its 3 weeks out. Wish I had been able to spend more time with you post-op. Really enjoyed our talk the evening of surgery.

By the way we are heading to Prescott to see my wife's parents for Christmas. I know it's not close to you but it is Arizona.

Just wanted to say "hi" and hope you are doing well! Kevin

everything is going well--lost 15lbs since surgery - healing on the outside is going good - I have been walking such as going shopping- need to get in a walking regiman definatly- I have been cold lately also - tooo wierd -- SOLIDS -- lets see I have been to vegas for the weekend and have had family in town for a week - yes I have tried semi solids here and there - like cottage cheese - soft cheese - yogurt- beans --- mostly on the tip of my spoon or fork- trying sauces like crazy such as ones that people get to dip there food in ---again just dipping my fork or spoon in for taste --- tried a bite of a real flaky fish and it was fine- something I noticed though is when I tried these I was light headed after? I am not sure when I will go for a fill - how are you getting over to Dr ortiz on that day? If I can hitch a ride from teh airport that would be great I can probably make arrangements to fly in that day ----otherwise I will probably pay to have them pick me up and take me back due to I don't feel to comfortable going by myself over there ------Going to DIsneyland this weekend - leave Sunday and we will be back on Wednesday just in time to take showers and get to the rolling stones concert - then I return to work on Friday UGH - I hate my job... not really but don't want to go back full time -----

best wishes hear from you soon

Cyndi

everything is going well--lost 15lbs since surgery - healing on the outside is going good - I have been walking such as going shopping- need to get in a walking regiman definatly- I have been cold lately also - tooo wierd -- SOLIDS -- lets see I have been to vegas for the weekend and have had family in town for a week - yes I have tried semi solids here and there - like cottage cheese - soft cheese - yogurt- beans --- mostly on the tip of my spoon or fork- trying sauces like crazy such as ones that people get to dip there food in ---again just dipping my fork or spoon in for taste --- tried a bite of a real flaky fish and it was fine- something I noticed though is when I tried these I was light headed after? I am not sure when I will go for a fill - how are you getting over to Dr ortiz on that day? If I can hitch a ride from teh airport that would be great I can probably make arrangements to fly in that day ----otherwise I will probably pay to have them pick me up and take me back due to I don't feel to comfortable going by myself over there ------Going to DIsneyland this weekend - leave Sunday and we will be back on Wednesday just in time to take showers and get to the rolling stones concert - then I return to work on Friday UGH - I hate my job... not really but don't want to go back full time -----

best wishes hear from you soon

Cyndi

Cyndi - Awesome loss of weight. We are losing at the same rate... kinda cool. You know at certain times the dizzies hit me to. I can't nail it down to one thing just happens from time to time.

We will be driving to the border parking there, walking across and taking cab to Dr. Ortiz. My appointment is at 11am so we would want to pick you up at around 9:30am from airport. Maybe you can get an early flight out and a return later in day. We are coming from about 2 hours north of the airport. Lots of traffic especially the day after a holiday weekend. Let me know if you are interested and flight schedule and maybe we can get our appointments one after the other depending on which flight you come in on. We are flexible on time of apt as I have dedicated the day to getting the fill. So even if we could get in fore a 1 and 1:30pm fill would be fine on our end.

Have fun on your adventures. we will be in Vegas in March and on a cruise in May. Talk to you later. Your Band-day Buddy. Kevin

Cyndi - Awesome loss of weight. We are losing at the same rate... kinda cool. You know at certain times the dizzies hit me to. I can't nail it down to one thing just happens from time to time.

We will be driving to the border parking there, walking across and taking cab to Dr. Ortiz. My appointment is at 11am so we would want to pick you up at around 9:30am from airport. Maybe you can get an early flight out and a return later in day. We are coming from about 2 hours north of the airport. Lots of traffic especially the day after a holiday weekend. Let me know if you are interested and flight schedule and maybe can get our appointments one after the other depending on which flight you come in on. We are flexible on time of apt as I have dedicated the day to getting the fill. So even if we could get in fore a 1 and 1:30pm fill would be fine on our end.

Have fun on your adventures. we will be in Vegas in March and on a cruise in May. Talk to you later. Your Band-day Buddy. Kevin

UGH no flights out through Southwest in the morning of 11/27 so scratch the fill appointment - checked for the 28th and e-mailed Rene to see how long between the arrival and the departure back I should allow to make my reservation - thanks for the invite on teh ride though ---I reall do appreciate it.... I will want for them to pick me up so if anyone is thonking of a fill for then I am going we can split the cost of the shuttle by the clinic remember if we can get 6 people it saves us money and just me piece of mind getting to the clinic and back to the airport ---- I know not as cheap as the cab and trolley ride - but I am afraid I will be late or not know exactly how to get to the clinic ---ughhhhhh.....let me know

UGH no flights out through Southwest in the morning of 11/27 so scratch the fill appointment - checked for the 28th and e-mailed Rene to see how long between the arrival and the departure back I should allow to make my reservation - thanks for the invite on teh ride though ---I reall do appreciate it.... I will want for them to pick me up so if anyone is thonking of a fill for then I am going we can split the cost of the shuttle by the clinic remember if we can get 6 people it saves us money and just me piece of mind getting to the clinic and back to the airport ---- I know not as cheap as the cab and trolley ride - but I am afraid I will be late or not know exactly how to get to the clinic ---ughhhhhh.....let me know

Cyndi - Sorry we are going to miss you. Did you get an apt for the 28th if so what time? and a flight if so what time do you arrve and depart? Let me know if you do asap. I have an idea to save some $$$$$$. Kevin

Cyndi - Sorry we are going to miss you. Did you get an apt for the 28th if so what time? and a flight if so what time do you arrve and depart? Let me know if you do asap. I have an idea to save some $$$$$$. Kevin

i will let you know asap thanks for thinking of me in way that could possibly save me some $$$$$$$$$$$ LOL