Help! Contemplating The Band...

.... but just don't know enough. My sister had gastric bypass surgery a few years ago and did great but the "dumping" scares me off My impression of the LapBand is that the weight loss is slower which could help with excess skin if it goes over time and the costs of wardrobe involved. I really don't know where to go or who to trust. Any ideas where to start?

I am a 36 year old man with 8 year old twin sons and I really want to be more active in their sports,etc. My one twin already has a weight issue that I need to tackle,but how can I before I understand the best way? I am a typical stress eater and sometimes out of control. I need help with that. Family history of overweight people with some diabetes and heart disease mixed in,not to mention I probably have sleep apnea as well since I exhibit every symptom,but refuse to go for the study and wear that mask. There's more but I will be lucky enough to get advice on what I already posted, before I look for more. Thanx in advance everyone

Hi,

I think it looks like you found the right spot for some answers.

I have not had the surgery yet, but I am booked for Nov 5th. I am excited and nervous. Because I have not had it done yet I can only share my journey so far and the research I did.

I too am doing this is be healthy for my children and I want to be able to run and play with them. Also I do not want them to have the same issues I have had with weight all my life.

I live in Canada and started to research having it done here. It is not covered under healthcare from the info I have found. It ranges in price but the average is about 17,000. I want the lapband as it seems to be the safest choice. With the other surgery where they insert the balloon I am told that you have problems like diahrea etc...

You still have to do the work with the band, but it is a tool to help you get the weight off and keep it off.

The more I looked into this the more I seen one name come up and that was Dr. Ortiz. I started to do some research on him and he seems to be the most experienced person. He has done alot of training of other surgeons in the States and Canada for this procedure. Simply, he is the best from what I have found. Also the best price. They are offering the surgery for just under 8000.00 right now. I hear his clinic and staff are fantastic and you are taken very good care of.

The one alarming thing to me was it is in Mexico. You hear all kinds of horror stories. Well I researched it all and feel quite confident that this is the best place to go for me.

I suggest you read alot of the posts on here and most of your questions will get answered.

You can also contact the OCC and they will give you any info you want. I also had a telephone consultation with a surgeon in Toronto.

Type it in on the internet and it is amazing all the info that comes up.

Best of luck on your decision, I hope some of what I wrote is helpful to you.

Hello and Welcome!!

I was banded on June 10th and honestly it's the best thing I've ever done for myself and my health.

If you are ready for a lifestyle change and to get healthy and thinner..the band is the ideal tool to help you do this.

Gastric Bypass is very evasive and frankly scares me. A friend of mine who had gastric bypass surgery one week before I got the band, has been in the hospital ever since (4 months) due to infection, complications and pneumonia. She had to have 4 additional surgeries and at one point her life was at risk, no thanks!!

If you have any other questions about the band, pre-op or post-op info...just ask, we are here to help and support you!!!

Good Luck!!

Good Morning,

I leave this evening for Mexico to get banded Tomorrow. I may not be that over weight to most but I struggle daily with being over weight. My family also has weight problems most are obese. I have tried since I was 12 to carefully choose what I eat. Stress makes me binge alot. Since I have to deal with an ex-wife ( my husbands ) I have alot of stress LOL. I wake up thinking about my weight. I go to sleep thinking about my weight. Every bite of food I take I say Tomorrow i'll go back on my diet. Well reality is 80 % of Diets dont work. Everyone needs helps with weight. Whether people get it from will power or from surgery. This is a great start for you!!! My daughter also is starting to develope bad eating habits and it devastates me. I was watching TV and there was this obese woman who lost her mother to obesity and she said she blamed her mother for the way she was. I never want to her that from my daughter. I joined this forum in June and decided in September. Think of it as the best investment of your life!!! Really it is. Good Luck and I hope we all have helped. We are a family here to all new and old members!!

.... but just don't know enough. My sister had gastric bypass surgery a few years ago and did great but the "dumping" scares me off My impression of the LapBand is that the weight loss is slower which could help with excess skin if it goes over time and the costs of wardrobe involved. I really don't know where to go or who to trust. Any ideas where to start?

I am a 36 year old man with 8 year old twin sons and I really want to be more active in their sports,etc. My one twin already has a weight issue that I need to tackle,but how can I before I understand the best way? I am a typical stress eater and sometimes out of control. I need help with that. Family history of overweight people with some diabetes and heart disease mixed in,not to mention I probably have sleep apnea as well since I exhibit every symptom,but refuse to go for the study and wear that mask. There's more but I will be lucky enough to get advice on what I already posted, before I look for more. Thanx in advance everyone

Beyond a shadow of a doubt the band was the best decision I ever made but it's a learning process for sure. I went from 2XL to medium. I can't even remember the time prior to this that I was that size. I feel good, my joints feel good, my clothes no longer have that stuffed sausage feel (in fact they are too big again). For the first time in years I can tuck my blouse in and wear a belt! (Also a medium! YAY!) I've been lucky and I have no hanging skin due no doubt to the slow process weight loss with the band. Everything is coming together beautifully as far as I can tell. It's very weird to catch your own reflection in the windows at the mall and have to take a moment to connect that it's you!

I don't know if any of that helps but I really am happy I went with the band and despite the assembly line approach and lack of communication at OCC I would absolutely go back to TJ to have the surgery done. Please make sure you do your homework and set up your aftercare program locally even if you do choose to go back to OCC for fills if you use them. Read Julie's posts for good arguments on having a local back-up plan. Good luck with your decision!

Jann

Hello and Welcome!!

I was banded on June 10th and honestly it's the best thing I've ever done for myself and my health.

If you are ready for a lifestyle change and to get healthy and thinner..the band is the ideal tool to help you do this.

Gastric Bypass is very evasive and frankly scares me. A friend of mine who had gastric bypass surgery one week before I got the band, has been in the hospital ever since (4 months) due to infection, complications and pneumonia. She had to have 4 additional surgeries and at one point her life was at risk, no thanks!!

If you have any other questions about the band, pre-op or post-op info...just ask, we are here to help and support you!!!

Good Luck!!

I too could not go through with Gastric bypass. A couple of year's ago my son's Math teacher died from her gastric bypass surgery, while still in the hospital. A lot of people do ok with the surgery, but I know several people who had to be hospitalized due to complications. I am just not willing to risk it. The lapband is the safest choice.

My son's friend's mom had gastric bypass. She has lost a lot of weight. When I picked my son up Sat. from Ryan's house he relayed a message to me from Ryan's mom. She said that she hoped I knew that you can only lose 50lbs. from the lapband. (We all know that is incorrect)

The lapband is just a very helpful tool, you must be committed to a healthy lifestyle or you will not be successful. Gastric Bypass works quickly, you lose a lot of weight fast, but if you go back to bad eating habits you will gain your weight back. My co-worker had it done 5 years ago. She said it is a daily struggle to keep her weight down. She said she gains and loses the same 10 lbs. over and over again.

The obvious "pro" of the band over bypass is that it is waaaaay less invasive, and it's reversible if need-be. The success stories here on the forums are pretty convincing. ^_^ It's not the "easy" answer to be sure, since surgery is never easy, but it's a good tool to help with a healthy eating plan.

The OCC has good credibility, as members here have shared. I am personally being banded by a surgeon in PA, covered by my Blue Cross insurance...I am very, very lucky in that regard. I mention this only because you shouldn't rule out coverage by your insurance. Call the insurance company and find out!

If you're not covered (under any circumstances), check into financing as another option.

Whatever you decide, wherever you decide - Good Luck with your weight loss goals!

Obesity, Diabeties and Heart Disease is all through my family. My father is over 300 lbs, I am 279 and have struggled ALL my life. My Dads sister was also over 300 lbs and at 56 years old decided to have gastric by pass. 2 days later her body went into toxic shock and she died in the hosptial.

I am convinced that the lapband is the safest weight loss procedure. I am having my surgery one week from tomorrow. I am very excited!

I think if you make the commitment to work with the band, you will lose the weight forever! :D

Hi,

I have not had the surgery yet, but I am booked for Nov 5th. I am excited and nervous. Because I have not had it done yet I can only share my journey so far and the research I did.

I too am doing this is be healthy for my children and I want to be able to run and play with them. Also I do not want them to have the same issues I have had with weight all my life.

I live in Canada and started to research having it done here. It is not covered under healthcare from the info I have found. It ranges in price but the average is about 17,000. I want the lapband as it seems to be the safest choice. With the other surgery where they insert the balloon I am told that you have problems like diahrea etc...

You still have to do the work with the band, but it is a tool to help you get the weight off and keep it off.

The more I looked into this the more I seen one name come up and that was Dr. Ortiz. I started to do some research on him and he seems to be the most experienced person. He has done alot of training of other surgeons in the States and Canada for this procedure. Simply, he is the best from what I have found. Also the best price. They are offering the surgery for just under 8000.00 right now. I hear his clinic and staff are fantastic and you are taken very good care of.

The one alarming thing to me was it is in Mexico. You hear all kinds of horror stories. Well I researched it all and feel quite confident that this is the best place to go for me.

I suggest you read alot of the posts on here and most of your questions will get answered.

You can also contact the OCC and they will give you any info you want. I also had a telephone consultation with a surgeon in Toronto.

Hi Big Daddy...well you are doing right to look into this. I have and I say the lapband is the more logical choice than the evasive gastric surgery. O have a friend you had did the gastric and she lost 157 lbs but had some hard times and ended up going back to do some corrective surgeries. I don't want that.

I am having my surgery a week from today and I am prepared. My son, daughter in law, her sister, and my grandson have all been banded recently (July and August) and I cannot believe the change in them! It is awesome AND they feel GREAT! So for me to see this...I felt confident that lapbanding is the only way to go for me. It helps me to eat right and take control of me, instead of the other way around. My family's success had made my choice very easy and I want to have 'their' lifestyle too!

Hope I was able to help you a little...

JazzyJude =))

Best of luck on your trip I hope all goes well!! I can't wait to hear all about it!!!! :)

Good Luck!!!!!

Shelby

Good Morning,

I leave this evening for Mexico to get banded Tomorrow. I may not be that over weight to most but I struggle daily with being over weight. My family also has weight problems most are obese. I have tried since I was 12 to carefully choose what I eat. Stress makes me binge alot. Since I have to deal with an ex-wife ( my husbands ) I have alot of stress LOL. I wake up thinking about my weight. I go to sleep thinking about my weight. Every bite of food I take I say Tomorrow i'll go back on my diet. Well reality is 80 % of Diets dont work. Everyone needs helps with weight. Whether people get it from will power or from surgery. This is a great start for you!!! My daughter also is starting to develope bad eating habits and it devastates me. I was watching TV and there was this obese woman who lost her mother to obesity and she said she blamed her mother for the way she was. I never want to her that from my daughter. I joined this forum in June and decided in September. Think of it as the best investment of your life!!! Really it is. Good Luck and I hope we all have helped. We are a family here to all new and old members!!

Big Daddy

This is the place to come for answers to any questions you have about lapband. I pretty much investigated both surgeries (gastric to lap band). I decided lap band was the way for me. Less evasive and less expensive, not to mention some of the medical problems that come along with gastric by pass.

All I can say from my experience is it was the best decision for me. As a lot of people know here in the forum, I have lost a lot of wieght, gone from wearing a size 34 down to 22 to 20. I am no longer on any medication for diabetes or hypertension. I still am wearing my mask at night for sleep apnea, but in a few more months I will be off of that too.

Two children and overweight, you need to take care of yourself first, then the rest of your living will fall in line. The one thing I can not express more is get some counseling too. This will help in finding the problem areas that you have in your eating.

I wish you all the luck, and you will eventually come up with what is best for you.

I'm 58 years old, morbidly overweight and have arthritis in my knees.....I told my wife that I have to do something besides these rollercoaster diets and pills...I lose 20 or 30 lbs and then I slack off and gain more weight than I started....The LAP BAND in my opinion is a TOOL and I believe that is my answer for years of being way overweight....I want to see my kids have their own families and I want to golf and travel....I can't do sports or even go for a 100 yard walk with out being in pain. So on the 20 of November my new life begins. All I can suggest is read all the very informative info from the people on this site each day and I'm sure you will find it easier to make your own decision, I know I did.....Good Luck

Well Big Daddy,, I'm a 55 year old guy and 2 years ago I did something about my weight and got on the BAND wagon. I had looked into banding 8 years ago and chickened out back then. It was before it was FDA approved here in the states. I wish I would have done it back then knowing what I know now. It was the best decision I had ever made. I'd been heavy all my life. I'm down 95lbs since being banded and in a couple weeks I'm scheduled to have a lower body lift at the Cosmed Clinic in TJ. I say welcome to our forum,, surf around so you can learn about the band and everyones stories behind them getting banded and their journey after banding. Ask questions if needed,, but surfing this site will answer 99% of your questions,, plus you learn more. If you choose the OCC to be banded,, you've picked one of the best that Mexico has,, maybe the best in the world. Good luck

Less evasive and less expensive,

I have seen this word used several times now and I just want people to know the correct word is less "invasive". "Invasive" means involving the introduction of instrument or other foreign bodies into the body...the lapband is minimally "invasive" compared to the gastric bypass surgery. Sorry but I was cringing each time I read "evasive" which is an adjective meaning to avoid commitment. I don't want anyone to think I am putting them down or anything like that I just thought it was kind of funny how words get mixed up, believe me I do it all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanx for the updates everybody and the support. I have decided to go ahead and join the "BAND Wagon" I have made the appointments for the EKG,Sleep Apnea, and surgeon. I am using the same surgeon as a friend of mine for a few reasons. First the testimonials I have read regarding this surgeon are amazing.Second, my insurance currently covers 100% of surgery after my deductible is met but will change to 85% coverage on 1/1/09. The office I spoke to is very willing to work with me so I can get in before the end of the year so I can "afford" to go through with the band. Wish me luck, I have to hope all the stars align and I don't get screwed up by some red tape that will cost me my chance. More to follow

EXCELLENT Big Daddy! You will not regreat this decision at all! I just had my surgery Wed, and I feel great! I made the right decision because I need to control my own life and have my own goals. You do what ever it takes to meet your goal...we are here to help you along the way. Keep the focus and believe in it. Just remember, the band is a tool and we do the work...but it's a wonderful way to work our way to a healthier lifestyle change!!

WELCOME!

Jude =)

Hi,

Hi Teyann! I'll see you 11/5 as that is when I am scheduled to be banded as well!

I'm 58 years old, morbidly overweight and have arthritis in my knees.....I told my wife that I have to do something besides these rollercoaster diets and pills...I lose 20 or 30 lbs and then I slack off and gain more weight than I started....The LAP BAND in my opinion is a TOOL and I believe that is my answer for years of being way overweight....I want to see my kids have their own families and I want to golf and travel....I can't do sports or even go for a 100 yard walk with out being in pain. So on the 20 of November my new life begins. All I can suggest is read all the very informative info from the people on this site each day and I'm sure you will find it easier to make your own decision, I know I did.....Good Luck

Hiya Doug!

Just wondering how you are doing and congrats on your decision!

Jann

Thanx for the updates everybody and the support. I have decided to go ahead and join the "BAND Wagon" I have made the appointments for the EKG,Sleep Apnea, and surgeon. I am using the same surgeon as a friend of mine for a few reasons. First the testimonials I have read regarding this surgeon are amazing.Second, my insurance currently covers 100% of surgery after my deductible is met but will change to 85% coverage on 1/1/09. The office I spoke to is very willing to work with me so I can get in before the end of the year so I can "afford" to go through with the band. Wish me luck, I have to hope all the stars align and I don't get screwed up by some red tape that will cost me my chance. More to follow

Yay for you and your decision!! Let us know how it's going, BigDaddy.

Jann

• 2 weeks later...

Update o my surgery. So far this week I have had my Psyche clearance,sleep apnea stage 2 test,pulmonary clearance,endocrinology clearance,eco cardiogram and all other tests are scheduled. Surgery should be in early December. So far so good :D

Update o my surgery. So far this week I have had my Psyche clearance,sleep apnea stage 2 test,pulmonary clearance,endocrinology clearance,eco cardiogram and all other tests are scheduled. Surgery should be in early December. So far so good :D

Great news! :D What a great start to 2009!

I too knew I had sleep apnea but didn't want to get tested because I just 'knew' I wouldn't wear the mask. I have problems with sinuses and they burn all the time and having air pushed up there was not something I thought I could tolerate. It finally got so bad that I was falling asleep at work and if I didn't at least get tested, I would have been fired. I was tested and told I have severe sleep apnea and stop breathing 55 times an hour. 55 times! Thats like every breath, every second! My doctor BEGGED me to try the machine telling me that most people do not understand how deadly sleep apnea is. Many many people DIE from it. When you hear of people dying in their sleep, a lot of it is because of sleep apnea.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I VERY reluctantly gave it a try. All I can say is, I AM AN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY was I so stubborn? I have never felt better in my life!!!!!!! My sinus problem? That darn machine FIXED my problem! For the first time in years, my sinuses no longer burned with every breathe I take! The humidifyer on the machine takes care of that. Sure, it's uncomfortable getting used to the mask, but I hae not gone a night without it since I was tested. I have more energy, my headaches were instantly stopped, I stopped falling asleep at my desk.

In short, I was the LAST person to ever believe I would/could wear the mask and refused it for so long, but now, I will not EVER go without out. I have not slept without one time since I got it 2 year ago. That sucker goes with me as my carry on on planes and never leaves my hand. I LOVE my machine and I am married to it!

So, if you want to live and you want your twins to have a father - then PLEASE get tested and at least TRY the machine. You won't believe how wonderful your life will be because of it! I PROMISE!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO MAKE THAT PHONE CALL!