So Disappointed

I went for my consult with the plastic surgeon and I am so down and disappointed. I have read alot on here and thought, it may be time to explore my options.

The surgeon I seen told me that he had just got back from a conference and one of the subjects was weight loss surgery and plastic surgery. He said that they are reccommending that people wait 1 year after surgery before considering a tummy tuck or etc. Also said a person needs to be at a steady weight for about 5-6 months. He said that if he did my surgery in Dec as I wanted, then when I lost more weight (I only have 35 to go right now) my skin would not be tight and I would possibly have to have surgery again. Also said that some people will get to their "goal" weight, then may lose more without trying.

I was so pumped up about all this and I just feel like someone stuck a needle in my balloon. If I had known all this I would never have taken the day off of work and paid the money for the consult. :huh:

I went for my consult with the plastic surgeon and I am so down and disappointed. I have read alot on here and thought, it may be time to explore my options.

The surgeon I seen told me that he had just got back from a conference and one of the subjects was weight loss surgery and plastic surgery. He said that they are reccommending that people wait 1 year after surgery before considering a tummy tuck or etc. Also said a person needs to be at a steady weight for about 5-6 months. He said that if he did my surgery in Dec as I wanted, then when I lost more weight (I only have 35 to go right now) my skin would not be tight and I would possibly have to have surgery again. Also said that some people will get to their "goal" weight, then may lose more without trying.

I was so pumped up about all this and I just feel like someone stuck a needle in my balloon. If I had known all this I would never have taken the day off of work and paid the money for the consult. :huh:

I'm sorry to hear that. No doubt you are disappointed. What the surgeon is saying has been pretty much policy for plastic surgery shops in all my reading. There are shops out there that deviate. If you really, really want it prior to the last 35 pounds I'm sure you can find someone else to do it? Perhaps Mexico?

Jann

I would be angry, too, at $$ spent on a consult.

But.

Even here you read about people on a plateau, but their bodies continue to shrink.

There's some merit there. Get to your goal, even out, then take the skin off. Maybe your waist will be 2" smaller if your skin is tighter than it would be if you had a TT now and still had loose skin. It's worth a few months at goal if you get to be a size 8 instead of a 10, right?

That said, the money out of pocket for a TT shouldn't be spent beforehand on a consult. I doubt I'd go back to that PS.

Thanks Jann,

I did forget to mention that even though I am so disappointed, I do respect this doctor. It shows he is not out to make a buck, he cares about what is best for the patient. I am getting married in April and going on a cruise. I was sooo looking forward to wearing a tight wedding dress and looking smashing in it and being able to wear a swim suit,,,,,,,,,,,but..............guess things will go on, but no way will I be in a swim suit.

My plastic surgeon told me to come back when my weight plateaus....I had originally planned to see him in March, but I think I will wait until Aug/Sept/09 instead, just to give myself more time to lose, exercise and better assess what needs to be done.

If you want this now, get a second opinion...the plastic surgeon who did my breast reduction told me to come in when I'm done losing weight. So everyone has a different way of doing things. My consultation fees come off the procedure fee when I booked it. So it's not lost money, thank goodness.

Good luck!

It is standard in the industry to charge for a consultation fee no matter what/when one is considering the surgery. That is why you go to one is to get a medical professional's opinion who does this every day and help guide your decisions.

I can see how your ballon was burst though. Getting one's hopes up for something and then being told "NO" or not at this time is something we then have to incorporate.

I would give yourself time to consider the whole picture and what is best for you and your health.

:lb11:

Thanks Jann,

I did forget to mention that even though I am so disappointed, I do respect this doctor. It shows he is not out to make a buck, he cares about what is best for the patient. I am getting married in April and going on a cruise. I was sooo looking forward to wearing a tight wedding dress and looking smashing in it and being able to wear a swim suit,,,,,,,,,,,but..............guess things will go on, but no way will I be in a swim suit.

Yup, for sure it sounds like that doctor has personal integrity! Spanks will help with the dress no doubt. I hear they are popular in the US. I don't think they are here or at least I haven't heard of them being local. Regardless, you are within 35 pounds of your goal weight revel in all your hard work!

Hugs!

Jann

I would be po'd if I took a day off work and paid for a consult. My consults were on average less than an hour if you counted the wait time and I never paid a consulting fee. I booked most appointments early morning and would end up being late at worst.

My surgery was a year after my lap band surgery, but I was not at my goal, I had what is called an apron, and it a fat pad in it. I was 200 pounds at my extended tummy tuck surgery and had over a foot of skin remove that goes around to my back, and over 6 pounds of fat, I also had lippo on back and sides which removed a bit of fat as well. I went down 3 pant sizes after my surgery. I am now over 50 pounds lighter (lost some during my surgery) and you could not remove any more skin, since he focused on removing the fat with the skin, along with tightening up the muscles during surgery. I'm not tight as a board (which I didn't want) and I have a round belly button which is what I wanted. (I personally don't like the almond shaped ones...)

Unless there are studies, I go by what the doctor says I believe in recommends, and yes mine does work on overweight patients who aren’t at their goal yet and haven’t been there for a year. And I'm thrilled with the results, and know many women who have received tummy tucks who were not at their goal weight and they look fine, I know one who had to go in for a minor aug surgery, but she just wanted a little bit of pull up from the front.

You have to do what you think is best for you, I’m a person that believes in long term studies, I’d ask him for those studies, (conferences don't fly for me, I have to create newsletters that have to do with medical advice and my lawyers will not take conferences, they want studies to support or else the text is removed) unless he is 100% the doctor you believe in, and you've decided for him – if not go to another one. Its your body and your call, but I went to way more than one doctor, before I made my decision. And non told me I needed to wait a year or hit my weight loss, it could have been the shape of my body and how I had an apron who knows, but I do recommend going to more than one, booking at a time convenient to you and look for someone who doesn't charge a consulting fee.

One other thing I will add, when I asked Dr. Ortiz about plastic surgery he recomended that you be at 75% of you weightloss goal. When I was at 275, my goal was to get to 165, and I went in for my consult and booked the surgery, I actually never thought I'd get to under 140 pounds.

Best,

Lisa

Yup, for sure it sounds like that doctor has personal integrity! Spanks will help with the dress no doubt. I hear they are popular in the US. I don't think they are here or at least I haven't heard of them being local. Regardless, you are within 35 pounds of your goal weight revel in all your hard work!

Hugs!

Jann

Hey Jann

You can get spanx at Knickers and lace or Cats pjs etc.

Guest CaraMBA09
I would be po'd if I took a day off work and paid for a consult. My consults were on average less than an hour if you counted the wait time and I never paid a consulting fee. I booked most appointments early morning and would end up being late at worst.

My surgery was a year after my lap band surgery, but I was not at my goal, I had what is called an apron, and it a fat pad in it. I was 200 pounds at my extended tummy tuck surgery and had over a foot of skin remove that goes around to my back, and over 6 pounds of fat, I also had lippo on back and sides which removed a bit of fat as well. I went down 3 pant sizes after my surgery. I am now over 50 pounds lighter (lost some during my surgery) and you could not remove any more skin, since he focused on removing the fat with the skin, along with tightening up the muscles during surgery. I'm not tight as a board (which I didn't want) and I have a round belly button which is what I wanted. (I personally don't like the almond shaped ones...)

Unless there are studies, I go by what the doctor says I believe in recommends, and yes mine does work on overweight patients who aren’t at their goal yet and haven’t been there for a year. And I'm thrilled with the results, and know many women who have received tummy tucks who were not at their goal weight and they look fine, I know one who had to go in for a minor aug surgery, but she just wanted a little bit of pull up from the front.

You have to do what you think is best for you, I’m a person that believes in long term studies, I’d ask him for those studies, (conferences don't fly for me, I have to create newsletters that have to do with medical advice and my lawyers will not take conferences, they want studies to support or else the text is removed) unless he is 100% the doctor you believe in, and you've decided for him – if not go to another one. Its your body and your call, but I went to way more than one doctor, before I made my decision. And non told me I needed to wait a year or hit my weight loss, it could have been the shape of my body and how I had an apron who knows, but I do recommend going to more than one, booking at a time convenient to you and look for someone who doesn't charge a consulting fee.

One other thing I will add, when I asked Dr. Ortiz about plastic surgery he recomended that you be at 75% of you weightloss goal. When I was at 275, my goal was to get to 165, and I went in for my consult and booked the surgery, I actually never thought I'd get to under 140 pounds.

Best,

Lisa

I completely agree with Lisa...you should NOT have paid for a consultation fee. I have never paid a consult fee!

Fly here to washington and stay with Lisa, queenie or I and go see Dr. Nyte...he wont monkey around.

Guest CaraMBA09
Oh, thanks Niolek!!! I appreciate that.

Jann

Good luck with Spanx. I thought they were overpriced, tended to slip down - so I found myself tugging when I had a $200 dollar dress on and just think they suck overall!

some women absolutely LOVE spanx...I returned mine after putting them on under my fancy dress and looking like I was doing some funky shimmy.

Thank you all for your responses. I would love to have Dr. Nyte do the surgery, I have talked to him about it, the only thing holding me back is that I was told I would have to stay there for 10 days and that could be costly.

Lisa, Your comment about how your tummy tuck went makes me feel sooo much better, thank you! I still want to have it done before my wedding, which is a day after my 1 year bandaniversary.

I know the Dr. suggestions were disappointing, but they make some sense if you think about it. I don't want to have anything done until I know that my weight is STABLE. I am sure it will be worth the wait if I only have to go through one surgery, instead of multiple ones. At least he was honest about it.

I, for one, wouldn't do the TT just yet. It is just too soon for the reasons what the good surgeon said. Don't rush into something right now, where later would improve your looks much better. BUT, then you need to do what you need to do. If you are really wanting to do this, go for a second opinion and really research it more. Listen to what the the 2nd surgeion says and compare with your first visit.

It's obvious you are going to do it but it's the timing right now. You are doing just fantastic with your weight loss! Take the time for this next lifestyle change too and make the best decision for yourself, for your life...

Take care and good luck!

Jude =)

Thanks jazzy

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I want this surgery so bad I can taste it, but..........maybe I should wait a few more months and see what happens, I don't know.

Thank you all for your help and concerns