The way I eat is all wrong

Oh my god, this is so crazy.The serious pain I have felt. Reality just slapped me in the face. I got back in solids and what extreme pain I have had to live through. I think I know what it is now. I take big bites. Yes I chew them up but they are big, so that doesn't matter when it goes down. It hurts like hell. Where did I learn to eat this way. I am going to have to learn all over again and my head is not getting it until the pain comes. I went back on slim fast today. I was freaking hungry. But I had a peice of chicken and it did not go well. I wonder how long it will take me to learn to do this right. I always have taken big bites. I even take big drinks. I feel so stupid. I hope I didnt hurt anything. I am so nervous now. I have never felt that kind of pain. It is like getting a big huge pill stuck. How terrible. It kinda makes me sad, what if it is always like this. I can't take it. For now on, I am going to cut everying up really small and eat it that way. No more big bites and we will see how it goes but for today, since it hurt. I am having my slim fast. Wow, I never thought it would be like this. I guess the peices are going to have to be really small. I didnt really understand that. DAH! I get it now. PAIN!

Oh my god, this is so crazy.The serious pain I have felt. Reality just slapped me in the face. I got back in solids and what extreme pain I have had to live through. I think I know what it is now. I take big bites. Yes I chew them up but they are big, so that doesn't matter when it goes down. It hurts like hell. Where did I learn to eat this way. I am going to have to learn all over again and my head is not getting it until the pain comes. I went back on slim fast today. I was freaking hungry. But I had a peice of chicken and it did not go well. I wonder how long it will take me to learn to do this right. I always have taken big bites. I even take big drinks. I feel so stupid. I hope I didnt hurt anything. I am so nervous now. I have never felt that kind of pain. It is like getting a big huge pill stuck. How terrible. It kinda makes me sad, what if it is always like this. I can't take it. For now on, I am going to cut everying up really small and eat it that way. No more big bites and we will see how it goes but for today, since it hurt. I am having my slim fast. Wow, I never thought it would be like this. I guess the peices are going to have to be really small. I didnt really understand that. DAH! I get it now. PAIN!

Stormy,

I have always ate in a hurry and had big bites as well. But, I am planning to cut everything up before I start eating. I would try that. That way you have it the size it needs to be before you get started. Luckily, I have a husband that is a very slow eater so he has promised to help me with eating slow. I know you can do it girl.

Cut up all your bites the size of the eraser on a pencil, just like you used to have to do for your son when he was about 2 years old... Yes it takes some time, but better for it to be a pain in the butt to cut up your food instead of a pain in your gut when you're PB'ing because the bites are too big...

I had spagetti tonight and it went down good. I made it with macaroni noodes instead of spagetti because they are smaller. I am full and I feel a sort of pressure in my chest so I am full, maybe fuller than I should be but I did stop when I felt that. I think chicken is very hard on the system. Meat is kinda hard I think. Thank you all for responding. I definatly need the help of experts out there, cause this is all new to me. Also I found that I can still eat my salads, thank goodness, they go down well too. YAHOO. I will figure it out, I know it takes time. It is kinda scarry at first.

So I just sent this off to someone else, read your post and it fits.....

"OK, I need you to do one thing for me. For one week I need you to truly eat like a bandster. 1/4 cup out everything, protein (use tuna, canned salmon, boiled chicken) whatever is easy for you - then veggies, then fruits then carbs. Every meal - its a pain I know - but I have a feeling your band is good, but its how you are eating. Cut everything up in 1/4 teaspoon bites, chew each bite 30 times - wait,,,,, if you feel full stop - you're done eating. And don’t go back to food until your next mealtime.

No soup, nothing - Please, you can do it, takes a little bit of organization but I think its going to work for you."

So sorry for using the text twice, but I think you're on the same path. The reason we do protein first is it fills us up, it can be a pain if its not chewed or its dry. Also don't mix food, protein first, once you go to veggies you are done with protein, then I personally go to fruits, then carbs.

Good luck - you will figure it out - we all do!

Lisa

Stormy

chicken is hard for me. When I can eat chicken it's chix thighs... I love to cook them over a low heat with a bunch of onions until they are falling apart (boneless skinless) season them and eat small bites.. I can never do drumsticks, breasts or wings. I use refried beans for protein, fiber & carbs. topped with a small amount of sharp cheddar cheese it's really really good. I measure out 1/4 cup (when making it at home) and it takes me about 1/2 hour to eat. I will get pintos and cheese from taco bell when I'm out and need a quick meal.

Ground turkey & chivken work really well for me as does fish. I still take to big of bites and it sucks when it hurts. I also eat to quickly and times and that's just as bad. sloooow and smaaaallll bites.

good luck we're all rooting for you!

stormy,

thanks for this post. =D> Yes we all have all read about eating slow and chewing well but not really understood. I am starting solid foods here in a couple days and sooooo looking forward to this day. But man, it sounds like it wasn't as an enjoyable event as you antisipated it to be.

thanks for sharing this with us all. This post may help me when solids come my way, If I can only remember, SMALL BITS too.

Rod

stormy,

thanks for this post. =D> Yes we all have all read about eating slow and chewing well but not really understood. I am starting solid foods here in a couple days and sooooo looking forward to this day. But man, it sounds like it wasn't as an enjoyable event as you antisipated it to be.

thanks for sharing this with us all. This post may help me when solids come my way, If I can only remember, SMALL BITS too.

Rod

Definately dont start off with chicken like I did, bad idea. Mashed potatos was good, they go down easy.

Learning how to eat again is an ongoing process for me as well. My eyes are still bigger than my stomach. I think I have finally realized 6 months into it how to eat.

Stormy, sorry you had the painful experience. yes thats what happens when we do any of the "wrong" things. I have done it all too many times. I have finally realized I must stop and think before I take anything into my mouth. I must take a tiny, tiny bite, slowly chew it, swallow, and then wait, even a few minutes seems long but is worth it before the next bite. Sometimes it can be that 1 bite after you've had 3 or 4 that puts you over the edge. If you stop between bites and give the food time to go down into the pouch and then assess how you feel it will help to avoid any future painful experiences. I keep telling myself as I eat, slow down, put the fork down and wait. It should take a minimum of 20 minutes to eat the recommended 1/2 cup or so and the longer the better. I have gotten to the point now if I don't have time to stop and eat I just don't eat.

I am still learning how to eat. When we go out to eat, I still want the food that I had before surgery. I am learing to just share with my husband. Last night, we went to our friend's house and had fajita's. I ate half of one fajita and started feeling full. In the time that I ate that one, everyone else had ate three or four and was finished with dessert. I am learning to eat at my pace and not everyone elses. It is taking time getting use to it though.

Guest CaraMBA09
I had spagetti tonight and it went down good. I made it with macaroni noodes instead of spagetti because they are smaller. I am full and I feel a sort of pressure in my chest so I am full, maybe fuller than I should be but I did stop when I felt that. I think chicken is very hard on the system. Meat is kinda hard I think. Thank you all for responding. I definatly need the help of experts out there, cause this is all new to me. Also I found that I can still eat my salads, thank goodness, they go down well too. YAHOO. I will figure it out, I know it takes time. It is kinda scarry at first.

buy a roasted chicken from Costco. it is fall apart yummy and easy to get down! that way you do not feel as though you are missing out.