Lesson Learned

Hi all,

Last night my sweet husband really wanted to do something nice for me. I was working like crazy and I hadn't eaten since some left over Asian Pork for lunch. I had planned on finishing off the Pumpkin Soup but I was busy and didn't get to it nor did I really think about it.

He called down to my office in the basement and asked me to come upstairs. When I got to the top of the stairs he told me to close my eyes he had a surprise for me. I could smell that he had been cooking but I didn't know what. He walked me through the kitchen to the island and told me to open my eyes. There on a plate was the largest pancake I've ever seen in my life in the shape of a heart. God bless his little cotton socks, that was a sweet thing to do! He was just glowing that he had made it for me. (HE NEVER COOKS) I thanked him profusely, gave him a huge hug and a kiss and promptly took three (for a bandster) large bites. I told him I had to get back to work to finish the case I was working on, (in court this morning) and I would take it with me and eat it in the office. (I knew I wouldn't be eating any more of it)

No sooner did I get to the office when I started to wretch. I mean violent, angry wretching like I have never known. I spent the next hour with my head in my garbage can because I didn't want to hurt his feelings and fed the pancake to the dog. (The dog was getting the pancake from the moment I left the kitchen)

Now, before you say it, I know I shouldn't have eaten any of the pancake nor did I particularly want to but I just couldn't hurt Hubby's feelings. He really meant well. Usually I can eat toast so he assumed that I could eat pancake. I also knew the moment I saw it that there was a potential problem with eating it although I assumed it would be sliming. I do slime a fair bit since my last fill but it only lasts like a minute. (Clearly I am eating too fast and not chewing enough. I'm working on that)

Anyway, long story short, I couldn't hurt his feelings and I paid the price for it. I would guess from time to time these things will happen as a hazard of banding.

Jann

Note to self, "No pancakes for me."

LOL!!!

Oh Jann, so sorry you went throught that, it reminded me of a time when I was first married that my Husband made Lasagna. He was so proud of it and when I dug in, I discovered that he had put canned oysters in it! YUK, it was horrible...oh well, at least he tried.

Maybe you should do liquids for the next meal or two, you don't think you hurt yourself do you?

KIM

Omigoodness gracious! I can only imagine how you felt!

But you know, I would have done the same thing...not wanting to hurt his feelings. My hubby, too, wants to please me but is not educated enought to know what is best for me to eat. But, this is a valuable lesson to learn as you say.

Before I got banded last week, I had a serious talk with my hubby about healthier eating habits. I told him there are certain foods I can no longer eat and will have to substitute with other food items, etc. As he does the major cooking for most meals, I told him that I would like to try new recipes (thanks to all your recipes posts!) and if he would like to participate in preparing it, cool! OR, if he decides on his own to 'surpirse' me, to check my meal calendar to make sure I can have the foods he is fixing. This seems to work thus far, even though I just finished my first preop 'clear liquids' stage. He nows knows that I am in the 'creamy soups' stage an has looked at the variety of soups I've printed for him to make, etc.

Thank you Jann, for this post, as it reimforces me to remind my hubby as much as he loves me, to make sure I can really eat the foods he's preparing.

God loves our hubbys!

Jude =)

Note to self, "No pancakes for me."

LOL!!!

Oh Jann, so sorry you went throught that, it reminded me of a time when I was first married that my Husband made Lasagna. He was so proud of it and when I dug in, I discovered that he had put canned oysters in it! YUK, it was horrible...oh well, at least he tried.

Maybe you should do liquids for the next meal or two, you don't think you hurt yourself do you?

KIM

OMG, I'm not an oyster fan so I can only imagine! God bless them for trying though, eh?! I think today will be a liquids day. It was unbelievably violent and lasted over an hour but I don't think there's any long term damage. I would think that it would have to be repetitive (weekly, daily) for it to have any lasting negative effect.

Who would think something as simple as a pancake could provoke that reaction?! I've had two PB's since banding in June but I've never vomited like that. I do slime, especially since the last fill, but that's my fault for not chewing enough and eating too fast. (bad habit!!) I think I'll just be a good girl today and give my poor stomach a break.

Jann

Omigoodness gracious! I can only imagine how you felt!

But you know, I would have done the same thing...not wanting to hurt his feelings. My hubby, too, wants to please me but is not educated enought to know what is best for me to eat. But, this is a valuable lesson to learn as you say.

Before I got banded last week, I had a serious talk with my hubby about healthier eating habits. I told him there are certain foods I can no longer eat and will have to substitute with other food items, etc. As he does the major cooking for most meals, I told him that I would like to try new recipes (thanks to all your recipes posts!) and if he would like to participate in preparing it, cool! OR, if he decides on his own to 'surpirse' me, to check my meal calendar to make sure I can have the foods he is fixing. This seems to work thus far, even though I just finished my first preop 'clear liquids' stage. He nows knows that I am in the 'creamy soups' stage an has looked at the variety of soups I've printed for him to make, etc.

Thank you Jann, for this post, as it reimforces me to remind my hubby as much as he loves me, to make sure I can really eat the foods he's preparing.

God loves our hubbys!

Jude =)

Jazz, you never cease to impress me. You are just so organized and focused! I love that! Yup, God does love our well intentioned hubbys and so do we!

Jann

You know, I am one for being inquisitive to find out what makes things tick. I wonder why not pancake, if taken some amount as you did? I am thinking because it's like a bread type of thing or the syrup that may have been on top? Interesting...I love waffles and if pancakes does that to you...there is NO way I will subject myself to what you went through for a yearing for waffles!

Hey, oysters are good for you! It's an aphrodiac(sp?) for most! LOL :rolleyes:

Jude

You know, I am one for being inquisitive to find out what makes things tick. I wonder why not pancake, if taken some amount as you did? I am thinking because it's like a bread type of thing or the syrup that may have been on top? Interesting...I love waffles and if pancakes does that to you...there is NO way I will subject myself to what you went through for a yearing for waffles!

Jude

I actually have no idea why I had that reaction now that I think of it. I would have expected sliming with the gooey bread-line stuff blocking the stoma but not wretching. That really is a good question. And yes, there was pancake syrup on it.

And still oysters -- EW!

Jann

Interesting...I am still going to check in out...maybe it's the batter contents...or the combo of both the batter and the syrup? I will investigate on this further...

OK...not to keep focusing on the oysters... BUT really, you must have had a bad experience as to not liking it. If it was cooked, baked, cleaned, etc, right, you would really enjoy it with the cocktail sauce that comes with it, or cooked and chopped in salads or part of a filling or stuffing.

I guess it's like chicken livers....I LOVE, LOVE them too. I've got some good recipes for them too. HIGH in protein, like the oysters!

Jude =)

Interesting...I am still going to check in out...maybe it's the batter contents...or the combo of both the batter and the syrup? I will investigate on this further...

OK...not to keep focusing on the oysters... BUT really, you must have had a bad experience as to not liking it. If it was cooked, baked, cleaned, etc, right, you would really enjoy it with the cocktail sauce that comes with it, or cooked and chopped in salads or part of a filling or stuffing.

I guess it's like chicken livers....I LOVE, LOVE them too. I've got some good recipes for them too. HIGH in protein, like the oysters!

Jude =)

I am so gagging right now -- unequivocal EW -- organ meat and oysters. Kill me now!

Jann! You are killing me now with all this laughter! I am holding my left side (my poor port bruise!) and teary eyed right now. I thought I wasn't to have any abs exercises! LOL

OK...I'll stop torturing you for now...see my future recipes later! HA!

Jude (( HUGS! ))

Jann! You are killing me now with all this laughter! I am holding my left side (my poor port bruise!) and teary eyed right now. I thought I wasn't to have any abs exercises! LOL

OK...I'll stop torturing you for now...see my future recipes later! HA!

Jude (( HUGS! ))

<dry look> I just can't wait for more on oysters and organ meat! BAHAHAHAHAHAHA I love ya! You crack me up, girly!

Of course, having said that, hubby pointed out that scallops are good for 40 grams of protein! Stinky lil buggers that they are!

Hugs!

Jann

Jude

I am the daughter of a CAJUN! We love oysters on the half shell! We really had no choice growing up! lol But, I like them fried too! So, Jude....You are not alone! hehe

I LOVE FRIED OYSTERS!!! During summer break growing up, I always stayed in Mobile Alabama with family, and they ate everything, GUMBO, SHRIMP, GUMBO, FRIED SHRIMP, FRIED CRAB CLAWS ( those are the best!!! )... They were always eating sea food, and I would beg for a burger!!! LOL Now, I love that stuff!!! Crab cakes... Thats about all I can do. I've tried Mud Bugs ( thats what my grandpa calls 'em ) crawfish I think??? EWWW!!!

I LOVE FRIED OYSTERS!!! During summer break growing up, I always stayed in Mobile Alabama with family, and they ate everything, GUMBO, SHRIMP, GUMBO, FRIED SHRIMP, FRIED CRAB CLAWS ( those are the best!!! )... They were always eating sea food, and I would beg for a burger!!! LOL Now, I love that stuff!!! Crab cakes... Thats about all I can do. I've tried Mud Bugs ( thats what my grandpa calls 'em ) crawfish I think??? EWWW!!!

Mobile Alabama....Boy do I have some memories on the Florida coast (very close to Mobile). We spent every summer on the beach when I was a kid! Yeah, I ate a lot of seafood there too. :)

Jann~Bless your heart!!!!

I live like ten minutes from Mobile, AL! I do all my shopping there.

By the way..I love liver and oysters! I like raw oysters better than anything..with a cracker and some hot sauce..yuuuuuummmy!!

Yes - THANK YOU Dana and Amy! :lb16: I knew there were other people who loves OYSTERS! I've a few recipes for OYSTERS and some other seafood items. Previews to come!

You guys just made my day! Hey, maybe we can have an OYSTER day! AFTER, all of us are on our solid food days. Hmm, I could make the OYSTER soup! Yeah!!

Oh, thanks Kim! This girl gotta have some fun somehow with just being banded last week an limited to only soups right now! HA! :yes:

Jude =)

Hmmm...yummy scallops.

I get this funny feeling you are not a fan of seafood either, eh?

YUMMY!

Jude =)

Uhm, shrimp and lobster is pretty much as far as my palate extends in the seafood realm. Every now and again I'll eat some whitefish. I found out I don't mind that either now. Lately my big thing has been -- wait for it --

Old cheddar cheese and sweet pickles. Bite one, bite the other and OMG! What a total treat!

Prior to banding I never would have even thought about it nor did I eat pickles. It's my snack of choice lately. And before ya ask, no, I'm not preggers! hehehehe

Jann

Just think, had I grown up there I'd have either starved to death or been an anoerexic!

Jann

Yes - THANK YOU Dana and Amy! :lb16: I knew there were other people who loves OYSTERS! I've a few recipes for OYSTERS and some other seafood items. Previews to come!

You guys just made my day! Hey, maybe we can have an OYSTER day! AFTER, all of us are on our solid food days. Hmm, I could make the OYSTER soup! Yeah!!

Oh, thanks Kim! This girl gotta have some fun somehow with just being banded last week an limited to only soups right now! HA! :yes:

Jude =)

hahahaha -- I guess that will be my LIQUIDS DAY!

Jann

I'm with Jann

All I can say is YUCK, YUCK, YUCK. Oysters have to be bad for the liver or something. Things like that just were not meant to be eaten by humans, i am sure of it...................I think I would be a starving kid if I had to eat that stuff growing up. AND>>>>>>>>> Jazz, what about livers.............eweeeeeeee. LOL I'll stick to my yogurt and granola.

By the way, I have been craving pancakes soooo bad. I been begging my fiancee to take me to I HOP. I think he is afraid to. I usually have a problem with sliming and I think he gets embarassed by it. DANG IT

Glad u are doing better. At least you have a thoughtful hubby!

I'm with Jann

All I can say is YUCK, YUCK, YUCK. Oysters have to be bad for the liver or something. Things like that just were not meant to be eaten by humans, i am sure of it...................I think I would be a starving kid if I had to eat that stuff growing up. AND>>>>>>>>> Jazz, what about livers.............eweeeeeeee. LOL I'll stick to my yogurt and granola.

By the way, I have been craving pancakes soooo bad. I been begging my fiancee to take me to I HOP. I think he is afraid to. I usually have a problem with sliming and I think he gets embarassed by it. DANG IT

Glad u are doing better. At least you have a thoughtful hubby!

I am so with you. Major ew on the organ meat and funky fish stuffs! hehe --

Everyone's band reacts differently but I can say for sure I would avoid IHOP if I were you. My poor hubby, every time we go out for dinner he scopes the bathrooms and reports exact directions to me. My sliming embarrasses him too! He becomes a mother hen in public (too large a piece, chew longer, don't drink) in an attempt to avoid having to deal with sliming. He knows I'm only going to eat four or five bites at most so he gets me to order stuff he can eat for lunch the next day!

Jann