drinking While eating

ok, I am 2 1/2 months post op. The worst rule for me is no drinking while eating. I promise myself everyday that I will not drink with my meals. then break it..... I am so thirsty while and after I eat. I am really frustrated that I am having such a hard time with this rule.....

Most of the time I drink with my meals. I am eating 1/3 to 1/2 less than I used too.

Frustrated.... Amy

My doctor is okay with me drinking right up to the moment I start to eat, then I have to stop. That seems to help me. I down a bottle of water right before I eat and then wait about 60-90 minutes after my meal to drink again. It seems to help from getting too thirsty during the meal. It's okay to swish water around in your mouth when you are done eathing, and then spit it out.

Good luck!

Denise

someone mentioned listerine pocket patches, the ones that dissolve on the tongue. I tried those and they really get the saliva glands working. this helps with the dry mouth. As far as the throat thirst, I just have to deal with it. i watch the clock and as soon as the one hour mark hit, I down a bottled water. This is the hardest thing for me. Try going with moist foods so that you do not get so thirsty. Avoid starch if you can, that is the killer for me. Good luck. this is all new to me too and I hate not drinking while eating. But I am so freaked out about stretching my pouch that that motivates me to wait. They say the water or fluid can cause the food in your pouch to expand and then stretch the pouch. SO keep that in mind. i am sure you would hate to let a little water screw up everything you have been through so far.

I also drink water right up until I eat. I will often drink a bunch of water right before I eat so that I am not thirsty. I think some of the drinking while eating is habit and pleasure. I actually just LOVE to drink something and eat at the same time. So this is a hard one for me too. I know if I have water before eating, than the desire to drink is not from true thirst. It's from habit and I just have to work everyday to not do it. But yes, I have broken this rule too. It's hard.

It was a HUGE challenge for me not to drink while eating.. especially if I'm out with friends having a cocktail/apps. I will honestly tell you that I cheated for about the first 3-4 months. It wasn't until my 3rd fill that I really just physically could NOT eat/drink at the same time. It's just to much. There are times I am dying of thirst and have to force myself to wait 45minutes b/4 taking a sip of water. I will swish water around in my mouth and spit it out if I am desperate. For me I also have to quit drinking at least 15min b/4 I eat.. I find that if I don't I can't really get anything down. weird I know but that's what my band does. :)

sooo... try really hard to stop drinking while eating.. it takes time to retrain your brain but it will only benefit you/band if you can break this habit.

Good luck!

I don't have the problem now - I did when I started. What I did was clear any liquids from within my reach. You can't drink if there's nothing in front of you and getting up to get something makes you think about what you are doing.

You don't want to do this for 2 reasons, you can eat more - it can stretch your band.

Best,

Lisa

Once I got a good fill, drinking while eating was no longer a problem. I COULDN'T do it! If I do forget and take a drink, it sits right on top of the food and is painful. not to mention that it comes right back up.

Good fill, problem solved!

Jena

MY HUSBAND HAD MORE OF A PROBLEM THEN ME, HE WAS ALWAYS ASKING ME IF I WANTED SOMETHING TO DRINK WITH MY MEAL. IT TOOK HIM LONGER THEN ME TO STOP THAT, I HAD A BIT OF TIME WAITING 60 MINUTE AFTER A MEAL.

BUT YOU WILL GET IT. GOOD LUCK KAREN

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I have failed the lapband and it has failed me. I had my surgery over a year ago. About 3 months ago I finally had a fill that gave me enough restriction (I believe it is at 4ccs). I lost about 4lbs the first week and by the end of the second week it was no longer working. The doctor doesn't want to try another fill until he does another procedure where I drink barium while he xrays me, the saline is then removed, and then readded. This procedure is another $1000. I have been drinking while I eat, I knew I wasn't supposed to but when my band was filled last it worked with the drinking. I guess I best try to discipline myself and quit this to see if I can forgo another expensive procedure. I appreciate all the comments.

Before my last fill, if I was extremely thirsty after eating, I would suck on a popsicle. It really helped me. Now, There is no way I could drink afterwards or I will PB and it hurts. Soooo.......try the popsicle thing and see if it works for you.

$1,000 what is that? I am getting a fill under x ray (flouro) and it is only 375.00. I would question what they are charging you.

Now about the drinking. I have to admit I have failed on this one. I have drank right up to the time I eat and then taken little sips while eating, I try and try but I just cant seem to stay away from it. I know it is a habit and I will have to break it. I am working hard on it. I do not look forward to my fill for the fact that I hear that if I do it, I will spit it back up. That is gross. But I guess I will only be doing that once and then I guess I will get the point. Lord help me. I think if I drank more water in the first place, I wouldnt want it so bad. I am working on that issue too. This is really a learning experience for me.