It's weird, I can eat whatever I want

So my surgery was on Sept 19th and here I am now back to eating. As long as a chew well, I can eat almost anything. I guess that means I wont be losing anything. I still can not over eat cause I get full fast but it just seems strange. How do you know when it is time to get a fill? I was thinking like the 3d week of November but I am not sure if that is right. I just dont want to stop losing weight, it was working and now it seems I am at a stand still. The whole thing has been interesting, figuring out what is safe and what is not. I have some paperwork to do and then we found a place do go under flouro. I am scarred I stretched my pouch. I hope I didnt hurt it. That is scarry.

So my surgery was on Sept 19th and here I am now back to eating. As long as a chew well, I can eat almost anything. I guess that means I wont be losing anything. I still can not over eat cause I get full fast but it just seems strange. How do you know when it is time to get a fill? I was thinking like the 3d week of November but I am not sure if that is right. I just dont want to stop losing weight, it was working and now it seems I am at a stand still. The whole thing has been interesting, figuring out what is safe and what is not. I have some paperwork to do and then we found a place do go under flouro. I am scarred I stretched my pouch. I hope I didnt hurt it. That is scarry.

Stormy,

I heard that until you get your fill, you can eat just about whatever. So, you need to be sticking to small portions and healthy choices. When I start on food, I am going to try Lean Cuisines or Healthy Choices most of the time.

Dana

If you continue to eat for example three pieces of pizza or volumes of food you will for sure damage your pouch and put yourself at risk. You are in bandster hell and it's totally easy to eat like you used to. You have to exercise profound amounts of self restraint right now. It's critical to your overall success. Whether you are restricted or not you have to have the internal fortitude to continue to eat like a bandster. This is where your headspace comes in. It's not easy hun, but it is necessary. To answer your question on the fill you have to wait at least six weeks after surgery but longer is better because it allows your stomach to heal properly. See Jazzy-Jude's post on what to look for re: adjustments. That should answer all your questions.

Take good care!

Jann

Hi Stormy,

Until you get your fill, you will find that you will be able to eat whatever you want. Make sure you eat slow, chew well and follow the protein, veggies, grains and fruit plan and you will avoid gaining the weight back.

If you find that you are hungry between meals, eat 100 calories snacks and keep your daily calorie count under 1200 a day.

Good Luck and book your fill!!!

Stormy,

You are totally normal in the way you are feeling. Welcome to Bandster HELL! You'll want to schedule your first fill for 6-weeks after your surgery date and keep your appt. for sure! You must use willpower between now and then and train yourself to eat like a bandster. It's hard, but you can do it. You've made it past the liquid stage, and now you are on your way!

Good luck!

Denise

Stormy, welcome to bandster Hell. We all have gone through this exact same thing. Yes you can eat whatever you want. This is a will power phase for sure. for me after the liquids stage I would get full fast. Great I though it's working. But as the days went on it took more and more to get "full". I slowly realized I had to cut myself off before I had the "full" feeling or I would overeat. Now is when you hae to measure all your food in 1/4 cup portions so you don't overeat. As Jann said if you do eat volumes of food on a daily basis then you wil stretch your pouch. A time of two of a little overeating will do no harm. It's muscle based and muscles don't just stretch out over night. It takes days of continuously over stretching them to change the size or tenacity.

:lb4:

Schedule your first fill at the 6 week point and be sure to keep that appointment. It's important to start getting the band filled so it will work for you. And remember the first fill may give you no restriction either. It may for a few days or weeks but it is not the norm for 1 fill to give you your "sweet spot".

I have learned this is much more a test of patience as well as a new way of eating and living than I ever imagined.

Guest CaraMBA09

Stormy - I have been in this same predicament also AND IT SUCKS. my first fill is November 7th and I am counting down the days.

do what everyone suggests and PULL OUT the measuring cups...this is what I have begun doing and it does work...but I get hungry faster and I then have to ask myself am I really hungry OR is it mental.

get your first fill scheduled and do not cancel. I am having mine at 7 1/2 weeks and wish I could do it at 6...so follow julies instructions!

I have felt so bummed about it...but trying to keep my chin up.

C

I think I have over eatten a couple of times. I am just not sure. I stopped when I felt full. but now that you said to pull out the measuring cup. I better do that. did you say 1/4 cup. Wow, that is not much. I better read that again. I had some cereal this morning and that is about what I had but the other night I had two pieces of pizza and then a bite of a cinnamin stick. I was full. I am also having a problem with not drinking while I eat. Sometimes I can do it and sometimes I can't. I take little sips but after I am done eating about half hour, I am drinking again. I just can't stop myself. Right now I am very deydrated because I am sick and my throat is real dry. It hurts to not drink. Maybe I should go back on liquids until I get well. I need fluids bad. My son is sick too and he wont eat at all. I have all my paperwork done for my fill, I just have to fax it in and then they will schedule me. I am figuring the second week in November for the fill. hubby and I will take a day off and drive to Olympia Washington to get it done under flouro. I hope I like the clinic. I am going to talk to hubby tonight about using the measuring cup idea. We both dont want to go back into old habits. Thanks guys for the information. We need to keep our eye on the ball.

I think I have over eatten a couple of times. I am just not sure. I stopped when I felt full. but now that you said to pull out the measuring cup. I better do that. did you say 1/4 cup. Wow, that is not much. I better read that again. I had some cereal this morning and that is about what I had but the other night I had two pieces of pizza and then a bite of a cinnamin stick. I was full. I am also having a problem with not drinking while I eat. Sometimes I can do it and sometimes I can't. I take little sips but after I am done eating about half hour, I am drinking again. I just can't stop myself. Right now I am very deydrated because I am sick and my throat is real dry. It hurts to not drink. Maybe I should go back on liquids until I get well. I need fluids bad. My son is sick too and he wont eat at all. I have all my paperwork done for my fill, I just have to fax it in and then they will schedule me. I am figuring the second week in November for the fill. hubby and I will take a day off and drive to Olympia Washington to get it done under flouro. I hope I like the clinic. I am going to talk to hubby tonight about using the measuring cup idea. We both dont want to go back into old habits. Thanks guys for the information. We need to keep our eye on the ball.

Stormy,

I know its so easy too want to eat... but you need to get a better relationship with food girl. You just invested how much money on your band? How much discomfort and bloating? How much personal and emotional turmoil? Why would you want to sabatoge it by over eating????

Remember the rules Dr. Ortiz gave you. Refer back to your white folder. Your goal is to be eating about a 3rd of what you used to eat. It will be a struggle until your first fill... but YOU HAVE TO BE IN CONTROL. The fact you KNOW its a problem and are struggling is a good thing. It is top of mind. Now turn that into action and do something about it.

No one on this forum is going to be able to stop you from putting food in your mouth. Only you can do that. As someone who has recently been banded, all I can say is why the heck would you blow all that money and personal discomfort "just because you can"???

In the end it will be worth it. Trust yourself. Think of the new you. And start having a better relationship with food. Its to nourish you. Nothing more. The thinner you will appreciate that attitude. :)

Taz

Stormy,

I know its so easy too want to eat... but you need to get a better relationship with food girl. You just invested how much money on your band? How much discomfort and bloating? How much personal and emotional turmoil? Why would you want to sabatoge it by over eating????

Remember the rules Dr. Ortiz gave you. Refer back to your white folder. Your goal is to be eating about a 3rd of what you used to eat. It will be a struggle until your first fill... but YOU HAVE TO BE IN CONTROL. The fact you KNOW its a problem and are struggling is a good thing. It is top of mind. Now turn that into action and do something about it.

No one on this forum is going to be able to stop you from putting food in your mouth. Only you can do that. As someone who has recently been banded, all I can say is why the heck would you blow all that money and personal discomfort "just because you can"???

In the end it will be worth it. Trust yourself. Think of the new you. And start having a better relationship with food. Its to nourish you. Nothing more. The thinner you will appreciate that attitude. :)

Taz

Nice one Taz!!!!

Jann

I agree 110% woth everyone who has responded to this post. We have ALL been through the exact same thing you are dealing with, Stormy. It is completely normal - - as a few said, WELCOME to bandster HELL!! It sucks... most definitely. I waited like 2 months to schedule my first fill and boy was THAT a mistake!! By the time I got around to scheduling, the Dr. I wanted to see was booked solid and I had to wait it out and by the time I got my fill I had had my band almost 3 months. It was so difficult because I could eat just about anything - so I understand what you are going through. Like everyone else here has said, just find that will power and strength within yourself to portion your foods out and ask yourself if you are really hungry or if you are wanting to substitute food for dealing with a difficult situation/emotion or even out of boredom. Many times I attempt to substitute food for dealing with my anger/sadness/anxiety/etc.... I am feeling very strongly about something that happened and because I don't want to deal with it, I eat and I magically "feel better." You know what I mean?

We know you can do this!! Be strong and just hang in there until your fill. Maybe try and add some very light activity like walking maybe. Nothing too strenuous that will injur you, since you are still healing - - but getting in some extra activity even light walking might be helpful. Just a suggestion. :D You will be SO happy in making the right decision because it WILL pay off. Trust me!! For MONTHS I struggled to get below 180.... months and months I was between 180 and 185 and could NOT get below that, but I REFUSED to give in or give up and finally it paid off!! I was frustrated in the mean time, but after I hit 179 I was like 'this was TOTALLY worth it!!' I know you will feel the same. KEEP GOIN GIRL!~!

Carrie - what you've said is heavy and so true. Thank you for this too. I am new too, just having my surgery less than 2 weeks ago, and this really inspires me to keep on doing what I am doing. That darn measuring cup is following me everywhere! It's nice to know others who have gone through this stage to share it with the newbies. It's a constant remimder, I know...but I need this right now so I can adjust to my new lifestyle change. Chanting is more like what I need to do! LOL Good topic and post to read. WE CAN DO THIS STORMY!!!

Jazzy Jude - I am so happy that my post was helpful to you! Also glad that it gave you that bit of inspiration that you needed!! :D The reason I love this forum so much (and think everyone who has weight loss surgery should FAITHFULLY continue logging on and sharing their stories/problems/successes/etc) is because there are bandsters in ALL stages coming on here and we all have important and valuable information to contribute. Those of us who have been banded for 5, 6, 7 months or more (I can't BELIEVE IT! It seems like yesterday I was making the decision to get banded... its gone by SO FAST!!) can offer advice and support for those of you who have questions or concerns and we can share our experiences with you so that you know what you are going through is NORMAL!

No worries ladies, I KNOW you both will be so successful!!

I hear what all of you are saying and thank you so much for responding. Trust me, I will never eat like I did. There is no way I would allow it. Gone are the days of sitting in front of the TV with a bucket of ribs and potato salad and buns. Now if I even consider a rib, it will be one, not 7. It has also been amazing to see the way my husband eats now. I am so proud of him. We remind eachother daily that we need to be careful. The pizza I had was not two big pieces but I think one would have been good. I could have stopped with that, I think I was just excited that it didn't hurt. I also found that I could eat rice and keep it down, so I made a really good chicken bowl receipe, that was about 1/1 cup, hubby loved it. I need to figure out how to get more fiber in my diet. I used to take these fiber capsules, I can't take them anymore. I may have to get chewables. The one thing I like is I am drinking more water now than I ever did. That is very good for my system. I discovered these odwalla drinks, I am hooked. Once I get a good diet down, it will be ok. I will be losing. I got on the scale today and it said I lost two pounds. I know that is not much, but I will take it. I will schedule my fill, hopefully tomorrow in advance. I love this site, you guys are awsume. If you have any ideas for quick and easy meals, definately let me know. Thanks

I hear what all of you are saying and thank you so much for responding. Trust me, I will never eat like I did. There is no way I would allow it. Gone are the days of sitting in front of the TV with a bucket of ribs and potato salad and buns. Now if I even consider a rib, it will be one, not 7. It has also been amazing to see the way my husband eats now. I am so proud of him. We remind eachother daily that we need to be careful. The pizza I had was not two big pieces but I think one would have been good. I could have stopped with that, I think I was just excited that it didn't hurt. I also found that I could eat rice and keep it down, so I made a really good chicken bowl receipe, that was about 1/1 cup, hubby loved it. I need to figure out how to get more fiber in my diet. I used to take these fiber capsules, I can't take them anymore. I may have to get chewables. The one thing I like is I am drinking more water now than I ever did. That is very good for my system. I discovered these odwalla drinks, I am hooked. Once I get a good diet down, it will be ok. I will be losing. I got on the scale today and it said I lost two pounds. I know that is not much, but I will take it. I will schedule my fill, hopefully tomorrow in advance. I love this site, you guys are awsume. If you have any ideas for quick and easy meals, definately let me know. Thanks

Try putting a tablespoon of Benefiber in your drinks twice a day. (I put it in my morning coffees as it has no taste) That will kick up your fiber! Good work on the two pounds!

Jann