I can eat anything! Don't feel full at all.

Is this weird I was so good before the band. I lost 40lbs preparing for the band. Once I had the surgery I felt like know it would do all the work and the depriving myself should be the job of the band!! I know it sounds crazy, but I thought I just wouldn't be able to over eat. I did the clear liquids that was hell so I moved on to full liquids a little better, but I was expecting to feel full and satisfied as I hadn't eatten in so long, but no such luck so I went on to regular food a little early with permission. At first I was happy just to be eatting, but I still controlled myself and didn't really notice the band doing much. Now I can eat like I did before the band and I don't notice much of anything. So getting to the point I am going in for my fill on October 12th did this make the big differance for anyone??

Hi Tammy,

I hope it gets a lot better with a fill. I did great before and through the liquid phase, but now it's like I'm not even banded. I'm still trying to make healthy choices, but I'm already up a pound from last week. I'm just going to try to maintain until I get my first fill at the end of the month.

For others with a VG band, was the first fill sufficient to get at least some restriction?

Roger

A lot of people require 2-3 fills before they feel true restriction. Remember that some air will probably leak out after the first fill and reduce your restriction level.

Hi Tammy,

I hope it gets a lot better with a fill. I did great before and through the liquid phase, but now it's like I'm not even banded. I'm still trying to make healthy choices, but I'm already up a pound from last week. I'm just going to try to maintain until I get my first fill at the end of the month.

For others with a VG band, was the first fill sufficient to get at least some restriction?

Roger

HI TAMMY

HAD SURGERY 4-4-06 I HAD MY FIRST FILL 7-14-06 THEY TOOK ME DOWN TO 4OZ OF EATING AND LOST ABOUT 20-30 LBS TO SEPTEMBER 14 WHEN THEY FILLED ME AGAIN NOW I CAN HARDLY EAT I REALLY WORK ON DRINKING MY PROTEIN AND I CAN ONLY EAT ONCE A DAY WHICH WHEN THEY FIRST FILLED ME IN SEPTEMBER I COULD HARDLY GET WATER DOWN THEY TOOK OUT ABOUT .3CC AND NOW I HAVE TO WORK ON GETTING ANYTHING DOWN. LIKED IT BETTER THE OTHER WAY.

HI TAMMY

HAD SURGERY 4-4-06 I HAD MY FIRST FILL 7-14-06 THEY TOOK ME DOWN TO 4OZ OF EATING AND LOST ABOUT 20-30 LBS TO SEPTEMBER 14 WHEN THEY FILLED ME AGAIN NOW I CAN HARDLY EAT I REALLY WORK ON DRINKING MY PROTEIN AND I CAN ONLY EAT ONCE A DAY WHICH WHEN THEY FIRST FILLED ME IN SEPTEMBER I COULD HARDLY GET WATER DOWN THEY TOOK OUT ABOUT .3CC AND NOW I HAVE TO WORK ON GETTING ANYTHING DOWN. LIKED IT BETTER THE OTHER WAY.

[/

Thank you for your reply. Do you you by any chance have the large vg band? I am not sure if that makes a difference, but I was just wondering

• 2 weeks later...

Is this weird I was so good before the band. I lost 40lbs preparing for the band. Once I had the surgery I felt like know it would do all the work and the depriving myself should be the job of the band!! I know it sounds crazy, but I thought I just wouldn't be able to over eat. I did the clear liquids that was hell so I moved on to full liquids a little better, but I was expecting to feel full and satisfied as I hadn't eatten in so long, but no such luck so I went on to regular food a little early with permission. At first I was happy just to be eatting, but I still controlled myself and didn't really notice the band doing much. Now I can eat like I did before the band and I don't notice much of anything. So getting to the point I am going in for my fill on October 12th did this make the big differance for anyone??

I had my third fill before I felt any restrictions on what I could eat. I thought at first that the band hadn't worked, but it has. I was banded March 05, if youd like to read my story you can find it in: newly banded tell your experience: My lapband experience in OZ. If you have trouble holding clear fluids down I'd maybe get some removed, but otherwise stick to it. Remember to go slow. Sometimes now even, if I drink milk too fast it will come straight back.. Eating and drinking very slowly are a big key to success here!

Good luck hope all goes well after your fill...

Hayley

• 4 weeks later...

I had surgery 10-9-06, did real well the first 2 weeks. The next 2 weeks, I gained a few pounds because of the diet change to cream soup, pudding etc.

The doctor expalined that if you eat carbs(potatoes, bread, pasta etc) you will gain weight even if your total calorie intake is low.

I had my first adjustment 11-8-06, I do fill full. However those old habits of eating when I'm not hungry are still with me.

The band is a tool and not magic like the bypass would be. Even when I feel hungry, it's like I don't have room for the food and really have to eat SLOW.

Since 9-25-06 when I started my 2 week liquid, I have lost 25 pounds.

I was banded on July 14, 2006. I have lost 30 pounds (50 more to go); however 25 of the pounds were lost during the pre-op and immediate post-op period. I have had 5 fills, a total of 8cc, and I am still far from restricted. I am going to the support group (of the local bariatric surgeon I go to for follow up care)tomorrow and am fairly certain that the nurse will recommend that I have another fill. I am completely frustrated and think only about food...how not to eat it and when will I start feeling full. I know that I am an unusual case, but this is so frustrating.....I am so eager to be one of the success stories.

I was banded on July 26, 2006. I have lost 20 pounds (30 more to go). Like Rose, I am struggling. I had my first fill on Sept 9th and my "eating/not eating life" hasn't been the same since.

Sometimes I get sick, sometimes I don't get sick. Just when I think I have a food or an amount figured out, BAM!...I'm wrong.

For the most part, I know I can't eat bread or pasta. Chicken...NO WAY! So why can I eat Phad Thai? or why does popcorn go down so well?

I haven't lost a pound in about 2 months. I think I'm loosing inches, but some days it feels like nothing has moved.

I eat like a bird.

Have I "NO" metabolism? Is my body panicing and storing all my fat so that it has fuel? So many people tell me sooooooooo many things about not eating.

Then I read about one of you who are doing great! For example, like my new lap band friend in Alabama who was banded on the same day as I was. Surgery day, she is 170 & I am 173. Today she is 137 and I am barely under 160! Ugh! That's like only 13-15 pounds for me and 33 for her. HOW did that happen?

Boy I am a whiney pee pants today. Sorry. I'm just glum because I am not doing well today and I am depresssed that my success isn't reaching as far as others. To those of you who are doing well....Congrads! To those of you struggling like me....thanks for your support!

:-)

Cleo,

If you're not losing weight, are you drinking fluids? Water? The water really helps to get the weight off because it you think about: The weight has to get out of your body so you have to flush it out.

I know it's hard to drink 80 oz of water (I Don't) a day when you are not eating anything to wash it down with!! Try going back to your pre-surgery diet for a week and see how you do. I would not drink the Slim-Fast. But yes to pop sickles, broth etc.

My weight has gone up and down but for the most part down and I rec'd a 1 cc fill 4 weeks after surgery. That was a week ago and I'm still not hungry, but I eat, because I'm having a hard time breaking those old habits that got me to 241 lbs.

I can eat chicken if it's cup to about the size the end of a straw or a little bigger. I still have a problem learning to eat slow and chew slow. There's no way to chew food 25 times. It goes down on it's own after about 10 ot 15 chews.

Just try different diets for long enoungh 5-7 days to really see if you lose weight. Try not to overeat and also keep up with the support groups. Good luck!!

Today I am burping like a sailor and all I've had is a latte and lots of water.

Why is that?

My friends are worried about me and are insisting that I go get my band loosened. I only have 1.2 cc's!

And that was from my fill on Sept 9th. Doesn't some of the fill leak out? Am I going to get scar tissue? SO much to worry about!!!!!! :o

I never had to do the pre-op diet because of my low BMI.

After my burping goes down, I'm going to work on the chicken broth diet again. That and hot tea seem to work real well.

~M

Today I am burping like a sailor and all I've had is a latte and lots of water.

Why is that?

My friends are worried about me and are insisting that I go get my band loosened. I only have 1.2 cc's!

And that was from my fill on Sept 9th. Doesn't some of the fill leak out? Am I going to get scar tissue? SO much to worry about!!!!!! :o

I never had to do the pre-op diet because of my low BMI.

After my burping goes down, I'm going to work on the chicken broth diet again. That and hot tea seem to work real well.

~M

What is a typical eating day for you? I noticed your ticker has stayed the same for a long time and must be so discouraging, especially when your band buddy has been losing. It might be you are not eating enough, maybe to restricted? I say this only from experience when dieting. When I ate like a bird,(very tiny amounts) - (even though birds eat a LOT!) I never lost weight consistintly like I did when I ate balanced meals, because your body decides you are starving it and stores the fat. Just curious because my BMI was low also. I did do the pre-op diet and am still on liquids until Wed. What is your caloric intake daily? Do you eat balanced meals? Teri

I've tried keeping journals of what I eat. It is never much.

AM-Latte

Lunchtime-Soup usually or a smoothie

Dinner-Try to eat meat, maybe a small amount of carbs.

I've totally given up diet pop. I really thought that would help. Occasionally I have a cookie or a mini chocolate bar, but nothing to keep me from loosing weight! UGH.

Today I've had a latte, 8 wheat thins, 8oz of carrot juice and 16 oz of water. Heading now to have some more carrot juice (carb central, but loaded with vitamins) plus drink some more water.

WHAT is your daily diet like? You are doing great!!!! WOW!!! :)

~M

AM-Latte

I've totally given up diet pop. I really thought that would help. Occasionally I have a cookie or a mini chocolate bar, but nothing to keep me from loosing weight! UGH.

Today I've had a latte, 8 wheat thins, 8oz of carrot juice and 16 oz of water. Heading now to have some more carrot juice (carb central, but loaded with vitamins) plus drink some more water.

~M

Well, because it's still liquids until Wed, I feel I eat (drink) to much. Daily: At least 2 slim fasts, at least 2 cups soup, butternut squash, or pureed creamy (fat free milk) soup, water all day, watered down limeaid, a drinkable yogurt and maybe a sf/ff popsicle. But, I dont have a fill yet, not until Dec 16. Looking forward to eating solids soon. Especially Thanksgiving dinner. Do you have a hard time getting solid food down? Teri

AM-Latte

~M

STAY IN THERE MICHELLE. I'M ALSO NOT LOSING ALOT, FINALLY ABOUT 1 - 2 POUNDS PER WEEK :) BUT I'M LOSING INCHES.

LIKE YOU I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW COME SOME DAYS THE PIPES ARE OPEN, EVERYTHINGS MOVING WELL, AND OTHERS, NOTHINGS GOING DOWN. OR THE OTHER NIGHT, SOUP WASN'T EVEN GOING DOWN BUT SEVERAL HOUR LATER, I HAD A 1/2 SLICE OF CHEESE PIZZA FOR DINNER, GO FIGURE.........

I JUST HOPE TURKEY DAY, THE PIPES ARE SOMEWHAT OPEN :)

I love it they we can be so open and honest here....and tell when we eat something and it's really GOOD!

I miss pizza. I miss chips and dip!

Got weighed today and went up a pound. I am NOT going to change my ticker...NO WAY!

My nutritionist (that I paid $170 for) told me to go back to smoothies and muscle milk and drink more water!

Work out and sleep better. Ok. That is so easy. NOT! :huh:

I'm going to try to make the committment again. Just like the yo-yo diet.

Maybe I should change my handle to yo-yo cleo.

LOL

I meant....I love it that we can be so open and honest here....and tell when we eat something and it's really GOOD!

Cleo, I am on the same page as you when it comes to missing pizza and

chips & dip. Especially when my spouse is sitting across from me enjoying these snacks while we watch a movie at home. But she is lucky she burns the calories and fat off.... I don't.... I feel like one of those long haul semi-trucks that carry food to all the grocery stores. I just load it up and drive it around but it never seems to know to unload.

Speaking of water my newest thing is to place a pitcher (1/2 gallon) of water and a 16oz. cup on my bedside stand. I drink one glass as I head off to zzzz land and then continue to drink as much as possible every time I wake up to use the restroom or any other reason. My goal is to get through that pitcher each night. So far I have done it but with many trips to the WC. It is to tough for me during work hours to get enough H2O without it being disrupting so this so far has been my best option. Seems to keep me from having hunger pangs at night too.

Your no "Yo-Yo Cleo" more of a "Yo-Cleo" only losing never gaining. Kevin or "Yo-Kev"

Yo Kev,

I hear you about the spouse thing. My spouse and son eat like crazy. I'm jealous, but they don't have the same health goals as I do. It's kinda sad because my husband loves to cook for me and he's sad that I can't eat any of his yummy treats. Everything meat gets stuck. He cooked me tomato basil soup a couple of weeks ago and now he's talking about making me a crab soup. He is so sweet.

I've been drinking lots of water today and it's a good thing no one is counting my trips to the WC. I'd have to take a second lunch on my time sheet. :lol:

Enjoy the holiday and thank you and everyone for your support. I really appreciate it!

Yo-Cleo

Well, because it's still liquids until Wed, I feel I eat (drink) to much. Daily: At least 2 slim fasts, at least 2 cups soup, butternut squash, or pureed creamy (fat free milk) soup, water all day, watered down limeaid, a drinkable yogurt and maybe a sf/ff popsicle. But, I dont have a fill yet, not until Dec 16. Looking forward to eating solids soon. Especially Thanksgiving dinner. Do you have a hard time getting solid food down? Teri

teri~ i am on liquids (was just banded 8 days ago) and, like you, i feel like i am eating (drinking) so darn much! today i had a slim fast, drinkable yogurt, tomato soup, juices, coffee, lots of water... i am sipping all day and maybe that is why it feels like so much. the most amazing part is that i am getting FULL for the first time in my life! i drink 3/4 of my campbells soup and then have that "stuffed" feeling that i used to get from 2 trips to the buffet! haha it's awesome. going into this i was scared and thought that my mental hunger would cause me to override the full feeling the band is supposed to provide. it works like a charm! i am crossing my fingers that things continue to go well once i start solids. :unsure: good luck to everyone!

I had very little restriction post op. I could eat a lot. I tried to watch myself, and I could definitely be satisfied with less, though I could still eat as much. I had my first fill at 8 weeks post op, or one month ago. I think I have great restriction. I eat about 1/3 of what I did. For example, one egg and one piece of toast for breakfast. I eat pizza, chips, everything. I just eat less. I eat healthier most of the time, but there are times that the pizza wins. I haven't found anything that I can't eat. I have pb'ed once, knew immediately that it was coming, from big bites, not chewed well. I have been stuck several times, but it went through eventually. I know that I have been very fortunate, but this has been easy for me, for the most part. There is still the hard part of wanting more food than my body needs, but it is head hunger, and I am rarely hungry. Oh, and I lost 13 pre-op, 15 post-op but before my first fill, and I have lost 12 more since my fill a month ago. OH, and I exercise, as much as I can. I really believe it is what makes the difference in being able to be successful with the band a little looser, so there is less chance of certain foods not working.

Good luck to all, I wish it to be as much fun for you as it has been for me.

Becki

teri~ i am on liquids (was just banded 8 days ago) and, like you, i feel like i am eating (drinking) so darn much! today i had a slim fast, drinkable yogurt, tomato soup, juices, coffee, lots of water... i am sipping all day and maybe that is why it feels like so much. the most amazing part is that i am getting FULL for the first time in my life! i drink 3/4 of my campbells soup and then have that "stuffed" feeling that i used to get from 2 trips to the buffet! haha it's awesome. going into this i was scared and thought that my mental hunger would cause me to override the full feeling the band is supposed to provide. it works like a charm! i am crossing my fingers that things continue to go well once i start solids. :unsure: good luck to everyone!

I know Kristi Ann, It is just amazing the feeling of fullness. I LOVE IT!!!!! Yesterday was Turkey Day and I actually took 1/3 of what I would have, and still had food left on my plate!!!!!!!! Stilled enjoyed the day, the food, the wine, was completly satisfied, and had a bite of pumpkin cheesecake and apple pie and was stuffed, stuffed stuffed!!! I hope it continues!!! Good Luck to you. TEri

• 3 weeks later...
I had my third fill before I felt any restrictions on what I could eat. I thought at first that the band hadn't worked, but it has. I was banded March 05, if youd like to read my story you can find it in: newly banded tell your experience: My lapband experience in OZ. If you have trouble holding clear fluids down I'd maybe get some removed, but otherwise stick to it. Remember to go slow. Sometimes now even, if I drink milk too fast it will come straight back.. Eating and drinking very slowly are a big key to success here!

Good luck hope all goes well after your fill...

Hayley

How true! I make sure that I do not get overly hungry between meals... otherwise, if I eat like a wolf, whatever just went in comes right back out.. And, boy, is it painful. Moral of the lesson: eat slowly and don't allow yourself to get too hungry!

Lynn C